X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nigel
    Roadie
    • Mar 2004

WTF Is Wrong With Van Halen?

Nothing, because nothing stays the same. We're all getting older, ironically, at the same rate. After listening to Fair Warning (my favorite) tonight in it's full sonic glory I realized "Where Have All The Good Times Gone" indeedido.

At 61 I'm the same age as they are and I'm just so damned glad to have 4 "perked" tickets to see them during the summer at an outdoor venue with some friends. VH's popularity has made that possible since 1979 for me.

It's a thrill and a reminder of how many years and LIVE shows CVH has put a Roth "mule kick" in my step. Thank God for The Roth Army, Elvis banishments and all; I love the discourse here.

In parting, my Top 10 List of CVH Forgiveness in 2015

Blower Rants
    Wolf vs. MA
    Dave's Vocals/Weird Outfits/Newsboy Cap
    No MWM or CGTSNM in the Setlist
    Ed's Uninspired/Unchanged Solo
    Linoleum Floor Stage mats
    Wolf's Girth
    Dave's Deep Cut Avoidance
    Al's Shrinking Drum Solo
    Ed's Handyman Wardrobe
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

My theory is that some of the frustration at VH comes with people being annoyed that them getting older in turn makes themselves feel older.

Maybe you are finding that easier as a contemporary of the band rather than as a lot of his now midlife crisis fans.

I used to occasionally play the game of 'So what was Roth doing at my age' thing. This used to be kind of interesting when the answer was 'releasing EEAS', less so now when it's 'doing his final jump from a drum riser'.

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

I thought the following for a while and embrace it.

The army is narnia , hopefully it has no impact on a real life .
      So what the fuck blow off a little steam , it's much more fun to post mean sarcastic stuff than what you really think.

Who wants to be honest and sincere that's what home is for , I wanna see if the local residents will fake outrage and anger just to play along.

This refers to the band not the weird personal shit that used to happen.
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Nigel
        Roadie
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
        Who wants to be honest and sincere that's what home is for , I wanna see if the local residents will fake outrage and anger just to play along.
        Point well taken Vandeleur. I'm OK with that, I'm just feeling 61 and I could concur with most here,
        but time is now more precious and I'm just glad to be able to see them and happy they're not "pulling a Robert Plant".

Comment

• cadaverdog
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Nigel
          but time is now more precious and I'm just glad to be able to see them and happy they're not "pulling a Robert Plant".
          You can't blame RP for wanting to stop performing with Page doing old Zep songs. He can do old Zep songs and new songs with the people he plays with now. Page could do the same but he doesn't seem to have the motivation to try.
          As far as VH goes I'm gonna try and see them on this tour even though I think Dave's vocals are not even close to what they used to be. I just don't know anyone outside the Army who really digs Van Halen anymore. I'd like to hook up with someone and see them in Houston.
          Beware of Dog

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Van Halen is like a car that always blows a tire somewhere. Either Eddie is fucked and get Eddie fixed and then the singer is fucked. Something always broken. Ah just blame it all on the fat bass player because fat fucks are easy to blame.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• SunisinuS
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • May 2010

I am glad that no plane crashes and they are safely on a train or a ship.

I was introduced to them not soon enough...and I will be extremely sad when they break up.

The Mighty VH!

Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-22-2015, 05:23 AM. Reason: I will be just a bit more lonely when they are gone.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLq0_7k1jk
              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

We're a mixed bag nowadays, no doubt....

You're gonna have those that won't be content until Mike is back, with Dave singing in normal register and jumping off the drum riser, making a new album every couple of years, going on tour playing nothing but deep tracks....

And then there are those, like me, that are more lenient on what iteration of Van Halen is in place...

Sure, I would love to see Mike back, but I fully understand why Wolf is there... And no, it's NOT because Mike has been playing gigs with Bette.... It's strictly because EVH wants to play with his son, and while it's not what I would prefer, I know why he's doing it....

Dave's singing is cringe-worthy, and I firmly believe they had plenty of time to start working on a new album, yes, but is that cause for me to boycott going to see them in concert? FUCK NO.

I'm just enjoying and appreciating my favorite band of all time while they're still kicking it... I think the majority of us realize this isn't gonna last into their 70's like the Stones, so I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Well put VA. You just may have guilted me into looking for a couple of cheap tickets.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                    Well put VA. You just may have guilted me into looking for a couple of cheap tickets.

Just another indication that the band needs to start paying me for services....
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

My first thought when I read the thread title was "are you new here?"
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Same venue, same song, but...

2007:

2012:

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

If only the majority of you moved out of your parent's basements and found a better rock idol to worship homoerotically who knows where you'd be today.

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                            We're a mixed bag nowadays, no doubt....

You're gonna have those that won't be cuntent until Mike is back, with Dave singing in normal register and jumping off the drum riser, making a new album every couple of years, going on tour playing nothing but deep tracks....

And then there are those, like me, that are more lenient on what iteration of Van Halen is in place...

Sure, I would love to see Mike back, but I fully understand why Wolf is there... And no, it's NOT because Mike has been playing gigs with Bette.... It's strictly because EVH wants to play with his son, and while it's not what I would prefer, I know why he's doing it....

Dave's singing is cringe-worthy, and I firmly believe they had plenty of time to start working on a new album, yes, but is that cause for me to boycott going to see them in concert? FUCK NO.

I'm just enjoying and appreciating my favorite band of all time while they're still kicking it... I think the majority of us realize this isn't gonna last into their 70's like the Stones, so I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts....
                            An/otha HO/spice cunt/MENT.

REAGAN WISEGUY.JPG

RE/eagan had/a bet/a m/m/memory!
                            Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                              If only the majority of you moved out of your parent's basements and found a better rock idol to worship homoerotically who knows where you'd be today.
                              gGANG/sta PO/st..!
                              Add to Ignore list

Comment

Working...