X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
    If one listens to the Ellen and Billboard performance he was better... his voice was harsh and cracking on him on the Kimmel stuff and I think a lot of it had to do with him attempting to scream like he used to in the beginning
    It does seem to me that if Dave just realized the limitations of what he has left in the tank regarding his vocal abilities and just focused on singing the tunes, rather than yelling them, the result would sound much better.

I mean, it's hard to imagine it's MORE of a strain for Dave to be simply singing the songs than it is for him to be YELLING OUT THE VERSES IN A STRAINED KEY, right?

Like, in 2012 when I saw them, it just struck me as plain odd that Dave would decide on a tune like (Oh)Pretty Woman or Dance The Night Away that he needed to shout the verses as loudly as possible, when he was still (even at that late date) clearly capable of just singing the songs in the key they were originally recorded.

Whatever. At least he seems to have removed the slip-and-slide dance mat he had placed center-stage last time around. Last time around, by the 6th time Goofy Old Uncle Dave had slid backwards a few feet on his dance mat in order to bust out his funky chicken dance routine and go "wooooo!" (which was about 3 tunes into the set), I was shaking my head into bemused disbelief and paraphrasing AVH by way of saying "gee, the 2012 Dave sure isn't the 2007 Dave".
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Jetstream
      Foot Soldier
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Terry
      It does seem to me that if Dave just realized the limitations of what he has left in the tank regarding his vocal abilities and just focused on singing the tunes, rather than yelling them, the result would sound much better.

I mean, it's hard to imagine it's MORE of a strain for Dave to be simply singing the songs than it is for him to be YELLING OUT THE VERSES IN A STRAINED KEY, right?

Like, in 2012 when I saw them, it just struck me as plain odd that Dave would decide on a tune like (Oh)Pretty Woman or Dance The Night Away that he needed to shout the verses as loudly as possible, when he was still (even at that late date) clearly capable of just singing the songs in the key they were originally recorded.

Whatever. At least he seems to have removed the slip-and-slide dance mat he had placed center-stage last time around. Last time around, by the 6th time Goofy Old Uncle Dave had slid backwards a few feet on his dance mat in order to bust out his funky chicken dance routine and go "wooooo!" (which was about 3 tunes into the set), I was shaking my head into bemused disbelief and paraphrasing AVH by way of saying "gee, the 2012 Dave sure isn't the 2007 Dave".
      Removed from the screams, the drop off is not that severe at all if he would just sing in the right register. One can take numerous examples from the live LP where he hits a note in the proper register and extends the note strong with no problem what so ever. Dave is in a unique position where actually doing less (than trying to do difficult things like singing past his register and dancing constantly in Al Jolson mode and beyond) would not only work just fine, people will think he is doing just as great even if he could pull off the trying too hard act... it is baffling lol
      Last edited by Jetstream; 07-03-2015, 04:54 PM.
      I got lost in the...

Comment

• pamgreen316
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Jul 2015

I'm glad "act your age" EVH has stopped dying his hair [piece]. febmarch.jpg

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Nah. I have the same kind of mop. Fresh haircut and too much product on the left, hair growing in and less goop on the right.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2012

Removed from the screams, the drop off is not that severe at all if he would just sing in the right register. One can take numerous examples from the live LP where he hits a note in the proper register and extends the note strong with no problem what so ever. Dave is in a unique position where actually doing less (than trying to do difficult things like singing past his register and dancing constantly in Al Jolson mode and beyond) would not only work just fine, people will think he is doing just as great even if he could pull off the trying too hard act... it is baffling lol
            I don't get why he seemed to focus and consistently sing some songs great (Women In Love comes to mind), but then had no problem consistently butchering other tunes (China Town, DTNA). I get that Dave's pipes ain't what they used to be. I just don't understand why he chooses to make things harder than they need to be.

Comment

• Jetstream
              Foot Soldier
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
              Nah. I have the same kind of mop. Fresh haircut and too much product on the left, hair growing in and less goop on the right.
              Don't know about that, I think he does that spray on shit on the right because that thin of hair on the left would never cover that well on the right.... wow, we can now have a Edward Van Halen hair thread too!
              I got lost in the...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Don't know about that, I think he does that spray on shit on the right because that thin of hair on the left would never cover that well on the right.... wow, we can now have a Edward Van Halen hair thread too!
                It's a sad state of affairs when a discussion like this even takes flight on a day such as this. My bad. Happy 4th folks.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Interesting conversation on Twitter just now, lemme see if I can post it chronologically.....

@GregRenoff @jeffburkeb fact? Says who?— Wolf Van Halen (@WolfVanHalen) July 14, 2015

@WolfVanHalen @jeffburkeb if you're reporting I've been misinformed I couldn't be happier. Believe me.— Van Halen Rising (@GregRenoff) July 14, 2015

@GregRenoff @jeffburkeb I think things are going pretty damn well if you ask me.— Wolf Van Halen (@WolfVanHalen) July 14, 2015
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

Wolf seems like a cool shit. Be very cool to sit an shoot the shit with him..
                    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

"Don't yell, just sing" should be Dave's mantra.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...