Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

As a fan of Sammy Hagar I have hated all of his albums. I would like Bon Jovi and Muse to be included in this.
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
      As a fan of Sammy Hagar I have hated all of his albums. I would like Bon Jovi and Muse to be included in this.
      Muse are not so bad, if you listen to them through one speaker at low volume while watching the Food Channel. Bon Jovi, not so much. They had one good song...

Yup, typical dumb-assed 80's vid, and they look like posing goofs. Still like the song.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

I cant get away with muse I have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but I cant see why they are popular.
        Bon Jovi no benefit involved
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

I cant get away with muse I have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but I cant see why they are popular.
          Bon Jovi no benefit involved
          I hear ya vandy.

Sometimes, a tune will strike your ear, and you have an option of saying "What the fuck is this shit"? or "Gee, that is interestingly odd."

Frank Zappa used to do that for me: he would throw music in your face that deliberately challenged his audience in an intelligent, dignified manner.

These boneheads? They are like Phil Collins during the 1980s=throwing all sorts of shit at the wall hoping something sticks.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I liked their sound about 4 or 5 cds ago. Now, I hear nothing worth a second listen. Kinda disappointing.
            Last edited by DLR Bridge; 07-02-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
              I can see the comparison and to a degree they were kind of just churning out music that fit in with the times. In fact Kiss said themselves that they were heading in that direction, but guys like Bon Jovi were doing it better. The songs don't have the same feel of the 70's albums, but the thing is, I'm a Bon Jovi fan too, I love cheesy 80's rock . I'm a Paul fan first and foremost (shocker, right?) and his voice was amazing at that time, he really went up there.
              Fair enough.

I guess in the spirit of generosity I could say those three records sound weak when stacked up with the rest of what KISS did pre-1990 and leave it that that.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

She Don't Know Me WAS actually a decent effort for a then-new band. The song stands up reasonably well today.

My local Clear Channel classic rock station, which as one might imagine plays the same 1/2 dozen tunes by well-known rock bands over and over again, has lately taken to inserting brief audio snippets of interviews with band members in front of the songs they are playing. So, for instance, you'll get a 20 second clip of, say, Jimmy Page talking about the circumstances under which the song Black Dog was created immediately followed by (obviously) the radio station playing Black Dog.

Am driving home the other day listening to the station, and I hear one of these audio clips of someone saying "we knew when we wrote it and rehearsed it that we were onto something special...even though it was only our first album, we KNEW that this song was destined to be a timeless classic" and I can't quite pin down the voice and identify who is speaking...I know I've heard that voice before, but can't quite figure out who it is...

The audio clip ends, followed by the intro to Bon Jovi's Runaway, followed by my mentally trying to combine the words 'Bon Jovi' and 'special' and 'Runaway' and 'timeless classic'...followed by me spitting up Diet Coke all over my dashboard in a fit of laughter...
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I had no idea that Bon Jovi song even had a video. The cheese factor must have been even too much for eMpTyV at the time, because I don't remember seeing it even once. Though they certainly played his other videos to death.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    I had no idea that Bon Jovi song even had a video. The cheese factor must have been even too much for eMpTyV at the time, because I don't remember seeing it even once. Though they certainly played his other videos to death.
                    Yeah, it has that weird/creepy "Uh-oh, what's gonna happen to that chick followed out the joint by a couple of guys" vibe that you would expect to find in a video by The Firm.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
                      She Don't Know Me WAS actually a decent effort for a then-new band. The song stands up reasonably well today.

My local Clear Channel classic rock station, which as one might imagine plays the same 1/2 dozen tunes by well-known rock bands over and over again, has lately taken to inserting brief audio snippets of interviews with band members in front of the songs they are playing. So, for instance, you'll get a 20 second clip of, say, Jimmy Page talking about the circumstances under which the song Black Dog was created immediately followed by (obviously) the radio station playing Black Dog.

Am driving home the other day listening to the station, and I hear one of these audio clips of someone saying "we knew when we wrote it and rehearsed it that we were onto something special...even though it was only our first album, we KNEW that this song was destined to be a timeless classic" and I can't quite pin down the voice and identify who is speaking...I know I've heard that voice before, but can't quite figure out who it is...

The audio clip ends, followed by the intro to Bon Jovi's Runaway, followed by my mentally trying to combine the words 'Bon Jovi' and 'special' and 'Runaway' and 'timeless classic'...followed by me spitting up Diet Coke all over my dashboard in a fit of laughter...
                      Bon Jovi could never be accused of selling out, their first album was a poppy and cheesy as anything that followed.

Apart from 'Thank You For Loving Me' which actually made me ill.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        Muse are not so bad, if you listen to them through one speaker at low volume while watching the Food Channel. Bon Jovi, not so much. They had one good song...

Yup, typical dumb-assed 80's vid, and they look like posing goofs. Still like the song.
                        Jon Bon Jovi supposedly hates that song. I don't know if they play it live any more. In '87 I think they did a tiny part of the beginning and he'd cut the band off and say "nope" and move on to something else.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Bon Jovi could never be accused of selling out, their first album was a poppy and cheesy as anything that followed.

Apart from 'Thank You For Loving Me' which actually made me ill.
                          Nope. Bon Jovi had a very clear aim from the beginning, which was to write pop rock music that would be accessible (and bought by) as wide a range of the public as possible. Even when the band began shifting over to country-flavored material a decade ago, the result wasn't anything THAT far removed from what they'd been doing all along.

If the amount of albums sold is used as the sole metric, by that standard Bon Jovi is just as credible on commercial terms as any other band who has sold 100 million albums.

I just find it humorous when Jon Bon Jovi uses his amount of albums sold as a rationale to equate himself with reaching or bettering the legacies of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin and the like in terms of CONTENT credibility. Doubtless Bon Jovi's fans could care less what I have to say about that (as well they shouldn't), but Bon Jovi can sell 200 or 300 million albums...I mean, Bon Jovi's music is like McDonald's hamburgers to me. Not so much in terms of being an iconic symbol, but rather along the lines of regardless of how many billions of Big Macs have been sold nothing that McDonald's will ever produce will ever come remotely close to being the tastiest hamburger ever made...and should somebody tell me that they think McDonald's makes the best hamburgers the world has ever tasted, my inclination would be to nod politely and make a mental note that when it comes to that subject said person clearly has their taste buds located in their ass.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Yep. Growing up where it's almost illegal to slag that band, I have to say, they never did it for me. Oddly enough, as targeted towards pop rock as the first album was, I consider that one to be the most original sounding material they'd ever put out. Everything that followed was just cheez whiz that was ultra derivative of the "hair metal" movement that happened in the wake of Van Halen's success. Doc McGee was no dummy. He had his boys riding the crest of that wave. The only other time I thought Jon sounded somewhat interesting was when he put out a solo album. The song Midnight In Chelsea wasn't awful.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I get that a lot of Zeppelin fans hated In Through the Out Door, but I always loved it. From the first cool notes of In The Evening. I thought All My Love was lovely. I really dig all the crazy changes in Carouselambra. The awesome fuzztone guitar solo on Fool in the Rain.....I still play it often.
                              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                                I get that a lot of Zeppelin fans hated In Through the Out Door, but I always loved it. From the first cool notes of In The Evening. I thought All My Love was lovely. I really dig all the crazy changes in Carouselambra. The awesome fuzztone guitar solo on Fool in the Rain.....I still play it often.
                                Have always enjoyed I'm Gonna Crawl.

Clearly not the most inspired or energetic of Zeppelin's outright blues tributes (yeah, the song is credited to Jones/Page/Plant, but to me it's basically an homage to a slow, standard/stock blues progression that had been around for decades already - only the bizarre synthesized intro muzak and lyrics contain anything approaching originality), but I like it just the same.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...