Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Probably the biggest flaw with "Born Again" is that it has keyboards mixed way too loud, when they weren't necessary at all.

But then, that's true of about half the albums released by ANYBODY in the 1980s.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Wow. To each his own, I guess. Personally, I love Presence, although sometimes admittedly more for the performances than the material itself depending on the song.

I'd partially agree with your take on Born Again, and for myself amend it to including the entire album. I dig the Born Again effort. Always have.
      If I had a gun to my head, I'd take Houses Of The Holy and Presence, if limited by two choices.

The issue with Born Again is the shitty overload of keyboards, the same device that ruined Roth's Skyscraper album, along with just about anything else that came out in the 1980s beyond A-Ha's "Take On Me".

Thank Christ you had shit like this to blast through the nonsense...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• cadaverdog
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by chefcraig
        If I had a gun to my head, I'd take Houses Of The Holy and Presence, if limited by two choices.
        Huh?
        Even though both albums are great (most Zep albums are) I'd say LZII is their White Album. The album that best represents the band. With VH it's VHI. Anybody who thinks it's 1984 or Zep's is In Through The Backdoor has a screw loose. But that's just my opinion.
        Beware of Dog

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Haha!

Celtic Frost - cold lake makes Metallica's sellout like tame in comparison lol

Cherrrrreeeeeee orchards!!!!

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
            Huh?
            Even though both albums are great (most Zep albums are) I'd say LZII is their White Album. The album that best represents the band. With VH it's VHI. Anybody who thinks it's 1984 or Zep's is In Through The Backdoor has a screw loose. But that's just my opinion.
            I'm not kidding. LZ II was astounding, yet carried a bunch of boredom in places. I adore Physical Graffiti, yet ya don't listen to it outside of the man cave or BBQ in the backyard.

For toolin' down the highway, I'll stick with Houses Of The Holy and Presence.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              Probably the biggest flaw with "Born Again" is that it has keyboards mixed way too loud, when they weren't necessary at all.

But then, that's true of about half the albums released by ANYBODY in the 1980s.
              The mix in general on that album was a bit flawed, although surely the prevalent placement of the keyboards in the mix is one of the most egregious offenders.

But I like the songs and the performances. I mean, it was just straight-up and unapologetic heavy metal rock and roll.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

I'm not kidding. LZ II was astounding, yet carried a bunch of boredom in places. I adore Physical Graffiti, yet ya don't listen to it outside of the man cave or BBQ in the backyard.

For toolin' down the highway, I'll stick with Houses Of The Holy and Presence.
                I don't think I could even be bothered to listen to The Lemon Song, Thank You, Moby Dick or Bring It On Home again by choice, and would honestly change the station if I were out driving and any one of those tracks were played on the radio. In point of fact, recently Thank You (never a track I've been fond of anyway) came on the radio and I did change the station. To Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, no less. And I dare say I have not regretted that decision since, because at least Good Vibration gave me a laugh. Thank You zombifies me in terms of emotional reaction.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Aug 2007

I don't think I could even be bothered to listen to The Lemon Song, Thank You, Moby Dick or Bring It On Home again by choice, and would honestly change the station if I were out driving and any one of those tracks were played on the radio.
                  You don't like those songs or just got burned out on them? 20 or so years ago I felt almost the same way because Zep was played in such heavy rotation on FM radio and I was not only commuting a long distance but driving most of the day as part of my job. Then you go out for the evening and get bombarded with the same songs on Get The Led Out or whatever your local station called it.
                  Beware of Dog

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                    I think it's a fantastic album. A lot of Sabbath fans do.
                    It's a weird album. Gillan's lyrics just don't fit with the mood of the music - he's too light-hearted...........
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Mayne Gillan was emptying out his closet when making the record if you get my drift, Binnie.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Kristy
                        Mayne Gillan was emptying out his closet when making the record if you get my drift, Binnie.
                        Is your drift big, pink and fabulous, by any chance?
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

[QUOTE=binnie;1890192]It's a weird album. Gillan's lyrics just don't fit with the mood of the music

I think his lyrics on Disturbing the Priest fit into the music and the overall Sabbath themes pretty well, Zero the Hero and Born Again to a lesser degree.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            You don't like those songs or just got burned out on them? 20 or so years ago I felt almost the same way because Zep was played in such heavy rotation on FM radio and I was not only commuting a long distance but driving most of the day as part of my job. Then you go out for the evening and get bombarded with the same songs on Get The Led Out or whatever your local station called it.

No, I just never connected with those tunes on that album. Even in the early 1980s when I was first listening to that album on vinyl (one of many vinyl hand-me-downs from one of my uncles), several years before rock radio began even having Get The Led Out segments or just plain playing the same 10 Zep tracks to death, those LZ2 songs I mentioned just didn't do it for me.

The Lemon Song and to an even greater extent Bring It On Home have always come across as a couple of really ham-handed attempts by the group to essay old blues songs/structures.

Moby Dick is just boring to me. I liked what Bonham did within the context of the songs, but his drum solo on LZ2 was always yawn-inducing for me. The only bright spot being that the studio version is much shorter than live representations of it, which would run 15 minutes or longer by the time 1977 rolled around. I can play drums a bit - self-taught enough to keep a variety of beats/time signatures and throw in a few semi-complex fills - and Bonham as a rock drum soloist is boring as shit.

Thank You is just kind of limp and the lyrics are a bit stock greeting card for my tastes. Plus, JPJ's wimpy organ playing in that tune really puts me off.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

No, I just never connected with those tunes on that album. Even in the early 1980s when I was first listening to that album on vinyl (one of many vinyl hand-me-downs from one of my uncles), several years before rock radio began even having Get The Led Out segments or just plain playing the same 10 Zep tracks to death, those LZ2 songs I mentioned just didn't do it for me.

The Lemon Song and to an even greater extent Bring It On Home have always come across as a couple of really ham-handed attempts by the group to essay old blues songs/structures.

Moby Dick is just boring to me. I liked what Bonham did within the context of the songs, but his drum solo on LZ2 was always yawn-inducing for me. The only bright spot being that the studio version is much shorter than live representations of it, which would run 15 minutes or longer by the time 1977 rolled around. I can play drums a bit - self-taught enough to keep a variety of beats/time signatures and throw in a few semi-complex fills - and Bonham as a rock drum soloist is boring as shit.

Thank You is just kind of limp and the lyrics are a bit stock greeting card for my tastes. Plus, JPJ's wimpy organ playing in that tune really puts me off.
                              Ya got that right. Next to The Partridge Family, Led Zeppelin where the most contrived act on the planet.

Seriously...they where NOT a blues band, simply a couple of session guys and a pair of exploited rock and roll teenagers (Bonham & Plant).

The Brown Bomer has what, 3 semi-average tunes, at best?
                              OK, in order...

1. "Whole Lotta Love"
                              A noise-fest, yet cool guitar solo

2. "What Is and What Should Never Be"
                              Don't even fucking ask...I sometimes like dumb shit.

3. "Heartbreaker"
                              Are you shitting me? Even played on a distorted bass, this is the coolest riff in history.

After that, enough, as there really isn't much there ("Living Loving Maid"...Yer kidding, right?). I'd rather cook up some pancakes and bacon or Brown and Serve sausage (yes, w/syrup), put on some Pink Floyd or Rick Wakeman solo record and get a nap.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• cadaverdog
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Aug 2007

After that, enough, as there really isn't much there ("Living Loving Maid"...Yer kidding, right?). I'd rather cook up some pancakes and bacon or Brown and Serve sausage (yes, w/syrup), put on some Pink Floyd or Rick Wakeman solo record and get a nap.
                                I was tossed out of Laserium twice for snoring during Pink Floyd Laserium shows. The first time was towards the last of Dark Side Of The Moon but I drank almost a fifth of Jack Daniels right before it started. The second time was during The Wall. I was stoned but I wasn't that stoned. I just got bored and fell asleep. I was at a party (small party, not a rager) not long after that and somebody decided it would be a good idea to play the Wall. Before it was over half the people there were zonked out.
                                Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...