Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 80 of 80

Thread: Albums hated by fans

  1. #41
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    51
    Posts
    9,314
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,203 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Muse are not so bad, if you listen to them through one speaker at low volume while watching the Food Channel. Bon Jovi, not so much. They had one good song...



    Yup, typical dumb-assed 80's vid, and they look like posing goofs. Still like the song.
    Jon Bon Jovi supposedly hates that song. I don't know if they play it live any more. In '87 I think they did a tiny part of the beginning and he'd cut the band off and say "nope" and move on to something else.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  2. #42
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,237
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,291
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,121 Posts


    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Bon Jovi could never be accused of selling out, their first album was a poppy and cheesy as anything that followed.

    Apart from 'Thank You For Loving Me' which actually made me ill.
    Nope. Bon Jovi had a very clear aim from the beginning, which was to write pop rock music that would be accessible (and bought by) as wide a range of the public as possible. Even when the band began shifting over to country-flavored material a decade ago, the result wasn't anything THAT far removed from what they'd been doing all along.

    If the amount of albums sold is used as the sole metric, by that standard Bon Jovi is just as credible on commercial terms as any other band who has sold 100 million albums.

    I just find it humorous when Jon Bon Jovi uses his amount of albums sold as a rationale to equate himself with reaching or bettering the legacies of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin and the like in terms of CONTENT credibility. Doubtless Bon Jovi's fans could care less what I have to say about that (as well they shouldn't), but Bon Jovi can sell 200 or 300 million albums...I mean, Bon Jovi's music is like McDonald's hamburgers to me. Not so much in terms of being an iconic symbol, but rather along the lines of regardless of how many billions of Big Macs have been sold nothing that McDonald's will ever produce will ever come remotely close to being the tastiest hamburger ever made...and should somebody tell me that they think McDonald's makes the best hamburgers the world has ever tasted, my inclination would be to nod politely and make a mental note that when it comes to that subject said person clearly has their taste buds located in their ass.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  3. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

    DLR Bridge (07-04-2015),Seshmeister (07-18-2015)


  4. #43
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    06-22-2019 @ 11:54 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    50
    Posts
    5,295
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,219
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,373 Posts


    Rep Power
    37
    Yep. Growing up where it's almost illegal to slag that band, I have to say, they never did it for me. Oddly enough, as targeted towards pop rock as the first album was, I consider that one to be the most original sounding material they'd ever put out. Everything that followed was just cheez whiz that was ultra derivative of the "hair metal" movement that happened in the wake of Van Halen's success. Doc McGee was no dummy. He had his boys riding the crest of that wave. The only other time I thought Jon sounded somewhat interesting was when he put out a solo album. The song Midnight In Chelsea wasn't awful.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  5. #44
    Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

    Mr. Vengeance's Avatar
    Member No
    9404
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,148
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 291 Times in 210 Posts


    Rep Power
    22
    I get that a lot of Zeppelin fans hated In Through the Out Door, but I always loved it. From the first cool notes of In The Evening. I thought All My Love was lovely. I really dig all the crazy changes in Carouselambra. The awesome fuzztone guitar solo on Fool in the Rain.....I still play it often.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  6. 2 users say thank you to Mr. Vengeance for this KICKASS post:

    DLR Bridge (07-04-2015),Terry (07-04-2015)


  7. #45
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,237
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,291
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,121 Posts


    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    I get that a lot of Zeppelin fans hated In Through the Out Door, but I always loved it. From the first cool notes of In The Evening. I thought All My Love was lovely. I really dig all the crazy changes in Carouselambra. The awesome fuzztone guitar solo on Fool in the Rain.....I still play it often.
    Have always enjoyed I'm Gonna Crawl.

    Clearly not the most inspired or energetic of Zeppelin's outright blues tributes (yeah, the song is credited to Jones/Page/Plant, but to me it's basically an homage to a slow, standard/stock blues progression that had been around for decades already - only the bizarre synthesized intro muzak and lyrics contain anything approaching originality), but I like it just the same.

  8. #46
    Head Fluffer
    chuckjitsu's Avatar
    Member No
    28413
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    04-27-2019 @ 07:13 PM
    Location
    California
    Age
    49
    Posts
    317
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 194 Times in 122 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    There are decent tunes on In Through the Out Door, but I just don't care for the keyboard centric nature of the album. Jimmy's guitar is basically a complimentary instrument as opposed to the driving force. I wouldn't say I hate this album, but it ranks toward the bottom of the Led albums for me.

    Wearing and Tearing was recorded during that period and showed that they still had guitar-based fight left in them, so I wish there could have been more songs like that on the album, including that song!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  9. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (07-05-2015)


  10. #47
    Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    chefcraig's Avatar
    Member No
    3871
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    "A Confederacy Of Dunces"
    Posts
    12,172
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 2,582 Posts


    Rep Power
    69

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Bon Jovi could never be accused of selling out, their first album was a poppy and cheesy as anything that followed.

    Apart from 'Thank You For Loving Me' which actually made me ill.
    This wasn't awful.



    Sweet tap dancing baby Jesus, I just admitted to liking two Bon Fucking Jovi tracks.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  11. #48
    Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    DONNIEP's Avatar
    Member No
    2737
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Last Online
    05-11-2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Location
    Who the hell knows
    Age
    48
    Posts
    13,363
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,989
    Thanked 3,442 Times in 2,529 Posts


    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    This wasn't awful.

    Sweet tap dancing baby Jesus, I just admitted to liking two Bon Fucking Jovi tracks.

    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ovi+dry+county
    You are nearly ready to embrace your inner Winger....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  12. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

    chefcraig (07-04-2015)


  13. #49
    Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    chefcraig's Avatar
    Member No
    3871
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    "A Confederacy Of Dunces"
    Posts
    12,172
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 2,582 Posts


    Rep Power
    69

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    You are nearly ready to embrace your inner Winger....
    <a href="http://imgur.com/vR4asoh"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/vR4asoh.jpg" title="source: imgur.com" /></a>

  14. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

    DONNIEP (07-04-2015)


  15. #50
    Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    binnie's Avatar
    Member No
    20165
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Location
    Here, there, every fucking where
    Age
    37
    Posts
    19,144
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,809
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,250 Posts


    Rep Power
    52
    I actually like parts of St. Anger. I have to be in the mood for it, but it's not the write-off people dismiss it as.....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  16. #51
    Roadie

    Member No
    10752
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    07-11-2018 @ 10:53 PM
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    105
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts


    Rep Power
    15
    In Through the Out Door is Zep's second best album!

    How can anyone listen to Presence?

    The rest of the albums i know about, but have never heard.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  17. #52
    Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Angel's Avatar
    Member No
    131
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    11-16-2018 @ 07:27 AM
    Location
    City that rhymes with fun (ends in gina)
    Age
    56
    Posts
    7,482
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    5,874
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts


    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    In Through the Out Door is Zep's second best album!

    How can anyone listen to Presence?

    The rest of the albums i know about, but have never heard.
    I always loved Presence. Haven't listened to it in years...hmmm...haven't done acid in years either. The two went together well.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  18. #53
    Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    WACF's Avatar
    Member No
    752
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    06-22-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Location
    Middle of the Canadian prairies
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,920
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    316
    Thanked 181 Times in 130 Posts


    Rep Power
    19
    Surprised Black Sabbath Born Again was not on there.


    Edit...personally I really like it...but it took years to appreciate it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  19. #54
    Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

    Mr. Vengeance's Avatar
    Member No
    9404
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,148
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 291 Times in 210 Posts


    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by WACF View Post
    Surprised Black Sabbath Born Again was not on there.


    Edit...personally I really like it...but it took years to appreciate it.
    I think it's a fantastic album. A lot of Sabbath fans do.

  20. #55
    Blow Me
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    cadaverdog's Avatar
    Member No
    23616
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 11:59 AM
    Location
    The Pound
    Posts
    8,789
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 911 Times in 744 Posts


    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    In Through the Out Door is Zep's second best album!

    How can anyone listen to Presence?

    The rest of the albums i know about, but have never heard.
    In Through The Back Door was a major disappointment. Presence was Zep's hardest album. Their second best IMO. Physical Graffiti #1.
    If you've never heard the other albums how can you say ITTOD is their second best?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  21. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

    chefcraig (07-10-2015)


  22. #56
    Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    chefcraig's Avatar
    Member No
    3871
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    "A Confederacy Of Dunces"
    Posts
    12,172
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 2,582 Posts


    Rep Power
    69

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    In Through The Back Door was a major disappointment. Presence was Zep's hardest album. Their second best IMO. Physical Graffiti #1.
    If you've never heard the other albums how can you say ITTOD is their second best?
    In Through The Screen Door sucked completely in so many ways. Page and Bonham were somewhere between Venus and Pluto with their (respective) heroin and drinking, thus uninvolved. As a result, Plant and Jones turned them into a horrible version of the Moody Blues.

    Funny that Page (years later) would complain about the album as being "soft" when he had little to contribute in the first place.

    Presence still is the tightest ever effort, even above Physical Graffiti, which was made up from a few new tracks yet mostly rejected cuts from years past.

    Yet taken together, they will blow your earphones off.

  23. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

    Angel (07-11-2015)


  24. #57
    Blow Me
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    cadaverdog's Avatar
    Member No
    23616
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 11:59 AM
    Location
    The Pound
    Posts
    8,789
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 911 Times in 744 Posts


    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

    Presence still is the tightest ever effort, even above Physical Graffiti, which was made up from a few new tracks yet mostly rejected cuts from years past.
    Physical came out when I was 15, Presence 16. I've had multiple copies of both on every format I've dappled in. Album, 8 track, casette, cd. I can remember jamming to In My Time Of Dying cruising down the freeway in this beat to shit 67 Chevy at high volume with the front end shaking like it was jamming along when I was 15. I can remember hauling ass away from a gas station jamming to Houses Of The Holy at high volume with a free tank of gas. I can remember the church calling my parents house asking me to turn down my stereo until services were over jamming to Nobody's Fault but Mine. The church was at least a 1/4 mile away but there was nothing in between but alfalfa. I can remember my buddy flicking me shit because he could hear me jamming Kashmir on my car stereo a block away from his house on the way over one day im my mid 30s. Songs from those albums would be a major part of the soundtrack to my youth.

  25. 2 users say thank you to cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

    Angel (07-11-2015),chefcraig (07-11-2015)


  26. #58
    Veteran
    78/84 guy's Avatar
    Member No
    12663
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    12-18-2018 @ 05:11 PM
    Location
    MN.
    Posts
    2,495
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,331
    Thanked 409 Times in 302 Posts


    Rep Power
    22
    Presence is a killer album. Out Door not so much. A few good tunes. This extra stuff on Coda should be interesting.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  27. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

    chefcraig (07-11-2015)


  28. #59
    Roadie

    Member No
    10752
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    07-11-2018 @ 10:53 PM
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    105
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts


    Rep Power
    15
    When I said that i know about the other albums, i was referring to this list, not the Zeppelin catalog.

    As far as the Zeppelin catalog is concerned, i have overdosed on it. i cannot listen to it anymore.

    Houses of the Holy is their best album followed by In through the out door and Presence is last.

    Something about it make me not want to hear it anymore.


    BTW, Half of Sabbath's Born again is excellent. Love Ian Gilllan.

  29. #60
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,237
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,291
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,121 Posts


    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    When I said that i know about the other albums, i was referring to this list, not the Zeppelin catalog.

    As far as the Zeppelin catalog is concerned, i have overdosed on it. i cannot listen to it anymore.

    Houses of the Holy is their best album followed by In through the out door and Presence is last.

    Something about it make me not want to hear it anymore.


    BTW, Half of Sabbath's Born again is excellent. Love Ian Gilllan.
    Wow. To each his own, I guess. Personally, I love Presence, although sometimes admittedly more for the performances than the material itself depending on the song.

    I'd partially agree with your take on Born Again, and for myself amend it to including the entire album. I dig the Born Again effort. Always have.

  30. #61
    Hindsight is 2020
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

    FORD's Avatar
    Member No
    32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    06-02-2019 @ 04:58 AM
    Location
    Cascadia
    Posts
    53,843
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,155
    Thanked 5,812 Times in 4,322 Posts


    Rep Power
    129
    Probably the biggest flaw with "Born Again" is that it has keyboards mixed way too loud, when they weren't necessary at all.

    But then, that's true of about half the albums released by ANYBODY in the 1980s.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  31. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

    chefcraig (07-11-2015),Terry (07-12-2015)


  32. #62
    Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    chefcraig's Avatar
    Member No
    3871
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    "A Confederacy Of Dunces"
    Posts
    12,172
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 2,582 Posts


    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Wow. To each his own, I guess. Personally, I love Presence, although sometimes admittedly more for the performances than the material itself depending on the song.

    I'd partially agree with your take on Born Again, and for myself amend it to including the entire album. I dig the Born Again effort. Always have.
    If I had a gun to my head, I'd take Houses Of The Holy and Presence, if limited by two choices.

    The issue with Born Again is the shitty overload of keyboards, the same device that ruined Roth's Skyscraper album, along with just about anything else that came out in the 1980s beyond A-Ha's "Take On Me".

    Thank Christ you had shit like this to blast through the nonsense...


  33. #63
    Blow Me
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    cadaverdog's Avatar
    Member No
    23616
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 11:59 AM
    Location
    The Pound
    Posts
    8,789
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 911 Times in 744 Posts


    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    If I had a gun to my head, I'd take Houses Of The Holy and Presence, if limited by two choices.
    Huh?
    Even though both albums are great (most Zep albums are) I'd say LZII is their White Album. The album that best represents the band. With VH it's VHI. Anybody who thinks it's 1984 or Zep's is In Through The Backdoor has a screw loose. But that's just my opinion.

  34. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

    chefcraig (07-12-2015)


  35. #64
    Obey Papa
    DIAMOND STATUS
    WARF's Avatar
    Member No
    145
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    06-17-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    15,243
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,437 Posts


    Rep Power
    56
    Haha!

    Celtic Frost - cold lake makes Metallica's sellout like tame in comparison lol

    Cherrrrreeeeeee orchards!!!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  36. #65
    Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    chefcraig's Avatar
    Member No
    3871
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    "A Confederacy Of Dunces"
    Posts
    12,172
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 2,582 Posts


    Rep Power
    69

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Huh?
    Even though both albums are great (most Zep albums are) I'd say LZII is their White Album. The album that best represents the band. With VH it's VHI. Anybody who thinks it's 1984 or Zep's is In Through The Backdoor has a screw loose. But that's just my opinion.
    I'm not kidding. LZ II was astounding, yet carried a bunch of boredom in places. I adore Physical Graffiti, yet ya don't listen to it outside of the man cave or BBQ in the backyard.

    For toolin' down the highway, I'll stick with Houses Of The Holy and Presence.

  37. #66
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,237
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,291
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,121 Posts


    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Probably the biggest flaw with "Born Again" is that it has keyboards mixed way too loud, when they weren't necessary at all.

    But then, that's true of about half the albums released by ANYBODY in the 1980s.
    The mix in general on that album was a bit flawed, although surely the prevalent placement of the keyboards in the mix is one of the most egregious offenders.

    But I like the songs and the performances. I mean, it was just straight-up and unapologetic heavy metal rock and roll.

  38. #67
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,237
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,291
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,121 Posts


    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I'm not kidding. LZ II was astounding, yet carried a bunch of boredom in places. I adore Physical Graffiti, yet ya don't listen to it outside of the man cave or BBQ in the backyard.

    For toolin' down the highway, I'll stick with Houses Of The Holy and Presence.
    I don't think I could even be bothered to listen to The Lemon Song, Thank You, Moby Dick or Bring It On Home again by choice, and would honestly change the station if I were out driving and any one of those tracks were played on the radio. In point of fact, recently Thank You (never a track I've been fond of anyway) came on the radio and I did change the station. To Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, no less. And I dare say I have not regretted that decision since, because at least Good Vibration gave me a laugh. Thank You zombifies me in terms of emotional reaction.

  39. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

    chefcraig (07-12-2015)


  40. #68
    Blow Me
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    cadaverdog's Avatar
    Member No
    23616
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 11:59 AM
    Location
    The Pound
    Posts
    8,789
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 911 Times in 744 Posts


    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I don't think I could even be bothered to listen to The Lemon Song, Thank You, Moby Dick or Bring It On Home again by choice, and would honestly change the station if I were out driving and any one of those tracks were played on the radio.
    You don't like those songs or just got burned out on them? 20 or so years ago I felt almost the same way because Zep was played in such heavy rotation on FM radio and I was not only commuting a long distance but driving most of the day as part of my job. Then you go out for the evening and get bombarded with the same songs on Get The Led Out or whatever your local station called it.

  41. #69
    Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    binnie's Avatar
    Member No
    20165
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Location
    Here, there, every fucking where
    Age
    37
    Posts
    19,144
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,809
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,250 Posts


    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    I think it's a fantastic album. A lot of Sabbath fans do.
    It's a weird album. Gillan's lyrics just don't fit with the mood of the music - he's too light-hearted...........

  42. #70
    We Are All F A T Barb
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Kristy's Avatar
    Member No
    7609
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    03-27-2019 @ 12:56 AM
    Location
    Denver, Colo
    Posts
    14,062
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,579
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,781 Posts


    Rep Power
    53
    Mayne Gillan was emptying out his closet when making the record if you get my drift, Binnie.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  43. #71
    Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    binnie's Avatar
    Member No
    20165
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Location
    Here, there, every fucking where
    Age
    37
    Posts
    19,144
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,809
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,250 Posts


    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Mayne Gillan was emptying out his closet when making the record if you get my drift, Binnie.
    Is your drift big, pink and fabulous, by any chance?

  44. #72
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,237
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,291
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,121 Posts


    Rep Power
    44
    [QUOTE=binnie;1890192]It's a weird album. Gillan's lyrics just don't fit with the mood of the music

    I think his lyrics on Disturbing the Priest fit into the music and the overall Sabbath themes pretty well, Zero the Hero and Born Again to a lesser degree.

  45. #73
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,237
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,291
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,121 Posts


    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    You don't like those songs or just got burned out on them? 20 or so years ago I felt almost the same way because Zep was played in such heavy rotation on FM radio and I was not only commuting a long distance but driving most of the day as part of my job. Then you go out for the evening and get bombarded with the same songs on Get The Led Out or whatever your local station called it.

    No, I just never connected with those tunes on that album. Even in the early 1980s when I was first listening to that album on vinyl (one of many vinyl hand-me-downs from one of my uncles), several years before rock radio began even having Get The Led Out segments or just plain playing the same 10 Zep tracks to death, those LZ2 songs I mentioned just didn't do it for me.

    The Lemon Song and to an even greater extent Bring It On Home have always come across as a couple of really ham-handed attempts by the group to essay old blues songs/structures.

    Moby Dick is just boring to me. I liked what Bonham did within the context of the songs, but his drum solo on LZ2 was always yawn-inducing for me. The only bright spot being that the studio version is much shorter than live representations of it, which would run 15 minutes or longer by the time 1977 rolled around. I can play drums a bit - self-taught enough to keep a variety of beats/time signatures and throw in a few semi-complex fills - and Bonham as a rock drum soloist is boring as shit.

    Thank You is just kind of limp and the lyrics are a bit stock greeting card for my tastes. Plus, JPJ's wimpy organ playing in that tune really puts me off.

  46. #74
    Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    chefcraig's Avatar
    Member No
    3871
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    "A Confederacy Of Dunces"
    Posts
    12,172
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 2,582 Posts


    Rep Power
    69

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    No, I just never connected with those tunes on that album. Even in the early 1980s when I was first listening to that album on vinyl (one of many vinyl hand-me-downs from one of my uncles), several years before rock radio began even having Get The Led Out segments or just plain playing the same 10 Zep tracks to death, those LZ2 songs I mentioned just didn't do it for me.

    The Lemon Song and to an even greater extent Bring It On Home have always come across as a couple of really ham-handed attempts by the group to essay old blues songs/structures.

    Moby Dick is just boring to me. I liked what Bonham did within the context of the songs, but his drum solo on LZ2 was always yawn-inducing for me. The only bright spot being that the studio version is much shorter than live representations of it, which would run 15 minutes or longer by the time 1977 rolled around. I can play drums a bit - self-taught enough to keep a variety of beats/time signatures and throw in a few semi-complex fills - and Bonham as a rock drum soloist is boring as shit.

    Thank You is just kind of limp and the lyrics are a bit stock greeting card for my tastes. Plus, JPJ's wimpy organ playing in that tune really puts me off.
    Ya got that right. Next to The Partridge Family, Led Zeppelin where the most contrived act on the planet.

    Seriously...they where NOT a blues band, simply a couple of session guys and a pair of exploited rock and roll teenagers (Bonham & Plant).

    The Brown Bomer has what, 3 semi-average tunes, at best?
    OK, in order...

    1. "Whole Lotta Love"
    A noise-fest, yet cool guitar solo

    2. "What Is and What Should Never Be"
    Don't even fucking ask...I sometimes like dumb shit.

    3. "Heartbreaker"
    Are you shitting me? Even played on a distorted bass, this is the coolest riff in history.

    After that, enough, as there really isn't much there ("Living Loving Maid"...Yer kidding, right?). I'd rather cook up some pancakes and bacon or Brown and Serve sausage (yes, w/syrup), put on some Pink Floyd or Rick Wakeman solo record and get a nap.

  47. #75
    Blow Me
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    cadaverdog's Avatar
    Member No
    23616
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 11:59 AM
    Location
    The Pound
    Posts
    8,789
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 911 Times in 744 Posts


    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

    After that, enough, as there really isn't much there ("Living Loving Maid"...Yer kidding, right?). I'd rather cook up some pancakes and bacon or Brown and Serve sausage (yes, w/syrup), put on some Pink Floyd or Rick Wakeman solo record and get a nap.
    I was tossed out of Laserium twice for snoring during Pink Floyd Laserium shows. The first time was towards the last of Dark Side Of The Moon but I drank almost a fifth of Jack Daniels right before it started. The second time was during The Wall. I was stoned but I wasn't that stoned. I just got bored and fell asleep. I was at a party (small party, not a rager) not long after that and somebody decided it would be a good idea to play the Wall. Before it was over half the people there were zonked out.

  48. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

    chefcraig (07-26-2015)


  49. #76
    Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    chefcraig's Avatar
    Member No
    3871
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    "A Confederacy Of Dunces"
    Posts
    12,172
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 2,582 Posts


    Rep Power
    69

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I was tossed out of Laserium twice for snoring during Pink Floyd Laserium shows. The first time was towards the last of Dark Side Of The Moon but I drank almost a fifth of Jack Daniels right before it started. The second time was during The Wall. I was stoned but I wasn't that stoned. I just got bored and fell asleep. I was at a party (small party, not a rager) not long after that and somebody decided it would be a good idea to play the Wall. Before it was over half the people there were zonked out.

    Oh, fuck me...
    they used to do them Floyd shows at the local planetarium, using pencil lasers. Wow, staring at the universe listening to a horrible PA system on truly dreadful dope and cheap assed beer.

    And you wonder why I was so much of a failure the next day or month at mother-fucking astronomy.

    "Welcome to the machine"...

    Wanna stop by Taco Bell? I think they might still be open! :

  50. #77
    Blow Me
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    cadaverdog's Avatar
    Member No
    23616
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 11:59 AM
    Location
    The Pound
    Posts
    8,789
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 911 Times in 744 Posts


    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

    Oh, fuck me...
    they used to do them Floyd shows at the local planetarium, using pencil lasers. Wow, staring at the universe listening to a horrible PA system on truly dreadful dope and cheap assed beer.

    The local planetarium for me was the one in Griffith Park in Los Angeles where they filmed part of Rebel Without A Cause and the beginning of the first Terminator when a naked Arnie takes Bill Paxton's clothes and puts them on. The first laserium show was done there in 1973. They use the top of line laser there and have a quality sound system. One time I went there without checking out what was happening and ended up at a laser opera. It was kind of lame but I somehow managed to make it through the entire show without falling asleep.

  51. #78
    Banned
    Member No
    5226
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,707
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,428
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts


    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Ya got that right. Next to The Partridge Family, Led Zeppelin where the most contrived act on the planet.

    Seriously...they where NOT a blues band, simply a couple of session guys and a pair of exploited rock and roll teenagers (Bonham & Plant).

    The Brown Bomer has what, 3 semi-average tunes, at best?
    OK, in order...

    1. "Whole Lotta Love"
    A noise-fest, yet cool guitar solo

    2. "What Is and What Should Never Be"
    Don't even fucking ask...I sometimes like dumb shit.

    3. "Heartbreaker"
    Are you shitting me? Even played on a distorted bass, this is the coolest riff in history.

    After that, enough, as there really isn't much there ("Living Loving Maid"...Yer kidding, right?). I'd rather cook up some pancakes and bacon or Brown and Serve sausage (yes, w/syrup), put on some Pink Floyd or Rick Wakeman solo record and get a nap.
    Back when I was a teenager & couldn't "get" Led Zeppelin, I thought there was something wrong with me.

    I mean, it was bad enough I never liked the Beatles, no matter how much I tried. But Led Zeppelin was something SACRED! Why couldn't I "get" it?

    Only years later did I realize that the Beatles were never anything else than an overrated boys band & that Led Zeppelin, apart form a handful of good songs - probably stolen from someone else - had an incredible amount of filler crap in their albums.

    Always did like Plant's voice, though... even if it sounds better on other stuff that's not Led Zeppelin.



    Cheers!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  52. #79
    Veteran
    blueturk's Avatar
    Member No
    6511
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 02:56 AM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,883
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts


    Rep Power
    16
    Alice Cooper "Goes To Hell". When you use a photo from the inner sleeve of your biggest album as a cover shot, things can only go downhill. And they did...


    ac hell.jpg
    Last edited by blueturk; 08-02-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  53. #80
    Veteran
    blueturk's Avatar
    Member No
    6511
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 02:56 AM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,883
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts


    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    In Through the Out Door is Zep's second best album!

    How can anyone listen to Presence?

    The rest of the albums i know about, but have never heard.

    So you've only heard ITTOD and Presence? So if ITTOD is second then Presence must be first. Say what?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How well do you know your 1984 albums?
    By Seshmeister in forum House of Music
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 10-09-2014, 02:34 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 01:20 PM
  3. WTF?? albums.
    By Mr. Vengeance in forum House of Music
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM
  4. Favorite albums of 2012
    By Dave's Bitch in forum House of Music
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 12:52 AM
  5. Albums on a budget
    By Seshmeister in forum This Is Gear Street
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •