Thread: Does Dave have enough left for another studio album?

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Does Dave have enough left for another studio album?

I'm loving the clips I'm seeing on YouTube and can't wait to see them in August, but if they have the music, and I know damned well that Dave's got a triple album worth of notes, sayings, anecdotes, phrases and Rothisms to slap on a new set of music with these Three Twins people, can The Diamond bring what he brought on ADKOT?

I'm thinking and hoping he can, because there's no VH that I'm interested in without his voice, his style, his humor. I like his voice a lot. But has he used all that's been given to him? I don't mean that in a mean way like a hater would. I just mean that maybe my all time favorite singer/vocalist/ shouter (who smokes, I hope not any more)has an instrument that can only go so many miles, and it's just what it is. The voice on the live clips probably wouldn't be good enough for a studio album, even with studio magic, as far as I know, so if they wanna do that again, can Dave do it? I hope so.

Feel free to attack me for daring to question.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    As long as he's healthy enough to work... he could put out many albums.

The bigger question is can the Van Halens and Roth find the motivation in a common time frame to actually choose to record an album..?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Eddie said he wants to get to work after the tour.. If the guy who likes dance music can bring something to the 3 rock guys.. Who knows? They seem to be getting along well and sounding better every show. If they can keep it moving I think it's possible. Another 2 or 3 year gap would stall things out, IMO.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Eddie said he wants to get to work after the tour.. If the guy who likes dance music can bring something to the 3 rock guys.. Who knows? They seem to be getting along well and sounding better every show. If they can keep it moving I think it's possible. Another 2 or 3 year gap would stall things out, IMO.
    I don't think they can afford to wait 2-3 years at this point in their life...I think they should come up with something new right away...Let say in January 2016 for a new summer tour. next year...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

I thought this thread was going to be asking if he had enough in the tank to finish this tour. My answer to that would be yes, but that by the last few shows, he'll be coasting on fumes.

As for a new album, I don't see why not. Not sure why Ed recently made their different tastes in music out to be a problem. I always thought those differences helped shape their sound. I'd like to hear them create new music that they can pull off live. Well, Dave at least. Chinatown sounds as if it were designed to be belted out by a Dave that is half his age.

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Right after the tour wouldn't work. I saw a Tremonti ad for I think The Starland Ballroom in I think again, late September. Maybe it's a short tour. Wolf is youngl. He can handle being so busy and learn the bass parts on the road from the videos that Eddie sends to bass players. Dave can hit his Lazarus Pit and rejuvenate and they can give Dave rough stuff to write vocal melodies and chorii -izzat a word? - choruses and give us new material by February.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post
    Right after the tour wouldn't work. I saw a Tremonti ad for I think The Starland Ballroom in I think again, late September. Maybe it's a short tour. Wolf is youngl. He can handle being so busy and learn the bass parts on the road from the videos that Eddie sends to bass players. Dave can hit his Lazarus Pit and rejuvenate and they can give Dave rough stuff to write vocal melodies and chorii -izzat a word? - choruses and give us new material by February.

Yeah, that's the ticket!
    ah! ha! yeah it can be done! Wolf from what I see can handle himself very well.......RnR!

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Not sure why Ed recently made their different tastes in music out to be a problem. I always thought those differences helped shape their sound.
    I know, right?! Was that a work, like wrestling? It's always been that way. I think they've always been impressed by what Dave brings, vocal melody-wise. I remember AVH talking about ATBL and how it started, and where it went musically and the way he said, "...and then Dave came in with that rap..." You knew he was like, "Damn, I like that shit."

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post
    I'm loving the clips I'm seeing on YouTube and can't wait to see them in August, but if they have the music, and I know damned well that Dave's got a triple album worth of notes, sayings, anecdotes, phrases and Rothisms to slap on a new set of music with these Three Twins people, can The Diamond bring what he brought on ADKOT?

I'm thinking and hoping he can, because there's no VH that I'm interested in without his voice, his style, his humor. I like his voice a lot. But has he used all that's been given to him? I don't mean that in a mean way like a hater would. I just mean that maybe my all time favorite singer/vocalist/ shouter (who smokes, I hope not any more)has an instrument that can only go so many miles, and it's just what it is. The voice on the live clips probably wouldn't be good enough for a studio album, even with studio magic, as far as I know, so if they wanna do that again, can Dave do it? I hope so.

Feel free to attack me for daring to question.
    Does he have enough to pace himself through a studio lp, yes by a long shot... but I have one complaint about your post, stop using the singular 'Diamond' nickname that Hagar uses as a derogative use of the name, it is 'Diamond Dave' man!

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    but I have one complaint about your post, stop using the singular 'Diamond' nickname that Hagar uses as a derogative use of the name, it is 'Diamond Dave' man!
    I am SO embarrassed. I know better.

11. Thanked BumBahDeeDah for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (07-26-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    I don't think they can afford to wait 2-3 years at this point in their life...I think they should come up with something new right away...Let say in January 2016 for a new summer tour. next year...
    I don't know about another tour next year... but I agree. They don't have the luxury of time to sit idle for 3 years... plus it'll take 1000 times more motivation to work if they plant their asses on the couch again that long!!

At the pace these guys work in recent years... it may take 18 months to record and package an album... if they started tomorrow!!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think getting them to record is the challenge and largely driven by different priorities in all their lives. I think musically and Dave vocally would not be an issue in a studio. They also did write new material after ADKOT at 5150 back in Aug and Sept 2013 before for whatever reason all fell to crap. I think you will see Wolfs record and the dlr John 5 record at Christmas then they have to decide if they are willing to focus on just recording. If so they could have a record in 2016 since some work already done.

I think it will be a quick yes and do it or they are done. Simple no economic reason to do new music and if they wait someone will get into doing whatever else in life and move on.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2022 @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Would be very interesting to see another album.

The more I listen to ADKOT, the more I realize that Roth carefully structured that album from the beginning to the end.
    It was meant to be a swan song for the band.
    You and Yer Blues is about Hagar (Woman! You suffer From a color! (Red!)
    Bullethead is track 6 - get it? bullet? six shooter?
    The last four songs are dedicated to each of the present members -
    Outta Space - Wolfgang ( or is it about Mike?)
    Stay Frosty - DLR
    Big River - Eddie (Listen to a seashell, you can hear the sea, listen to a beer glass, that river belongs to me)
    Beats Workin - Al

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post

The more I listen to ADKOT, the more I realize that Roth carefully structured that album from the beginning to the end.
    Stay Frosty - DLR
    Big River - Eddie (Listen to a seashell, you can hear the sea, listen to a beer glass, that river belongs to me)
    Beats Workin - Al
    Nah. You and Your Blues is about the last three years of my marriage.

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    They also did write new material after ADKOT at 5150 back in Aug and Sept 2013 before for whatever reason all fell to crap.
    [Johnny Carson voice] I did not know that. Weird, wild stuff. [/Johnny Carson voice]

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    Simple no economic reason to do new music
    Doesn't that suck? Record sales are not how they would really make money, record sales are way down, especially for a classic band, and a new album is not necessarily gonna drive ticket sales for a classic band, so it's not absolutely needed. Plus they probably wouldn't do more than four new songs on tour.

But I need a new album for my car. And that's all that matters.

17. Thanked BumBahDeeDah for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (07-27-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post

Stay Frosty - DLR
    Beats Workin - Al
    I thought for sure that you were going to say that Ed and Al were the tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber in TTWN.

19. 2 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Angel (07-27-2015),BumBahDeeDah (07-28-2015)

Thread Information