Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed's Meltdown in Tuscon - 2004

THE FINAL SHOWS IN TUSCON
    NOVEMBER 18th-19th, 2004

The 2004 Sammy Hagar Reunion Shows, in which Eddie has a meltdown. Both Valerie and Sammy talk about that night in their respective books. Eddie was at a low point. It's very sad. He came out onstage, and had drawn all over his body with a marker. Ed tried to hit Valerie's brother. Ed smashed a guitar onstage, and then trashed his dressing room.

Tuscon.jpg

Hagar says the guitarist collapsed more than once backstage. Rumors of arguments that nearly led to blows proliferated. “There were nights where it was kind of like a rollercoaster, up or down,” Anthony remembered a few years later, “and myself, I would have liked to have seen him totally clean up if we were gonna take this further.”

Some 40 shows in, Hagar says he tried to quit. Only the threat of a lawsuit changed his mind. With 17 shows left, Hagar admitted to listeners on KSHE in St. Louis that he preferred working with his solo group, even as the tour lurched toward a predictably disastrous conclusion at its final stop in Tucson on November 19, 2004. “It was,” Hagar says in ‘Red,’ “the worst show we’d ever done in our lives. Eddie played so bad.” Everything ended as Van Halen smashed his guitar to bits in a fit of sudden rage, sending pieces of it into the crowd. “You don’t understand,” a crying reportedly Eddie said to the crowd.

(SAMMY HAGAR – RED)

The last two shows were at an amphitheater in Tuscon. The second night, Eddie unwound completely. He knew it was the end of the tour. He knew it was done. He came up to me before the show, when I was talking to Irving, and rolled my sleeve down over my tattoo. I didn’t even acknowledge him. I just rolled it back up. He rolled it back down, I rolled it back up.
    “Don’t be fucking with my shirt, dude,” I said. “That thing ain’t gonna last,” he said, showing me his Van Halen tattoo. “See that? That’s better. That’s gonna last longer.”

Like I cared. We had a crew on that tour of more than 120. I had a bunch of cases of tequila in my dressing room and I was sitting in my dressing room signing bottles for the crew. Eddie came in and saw what I was doing.

“Can I have a bottle?” he said. I went over to the refrigerator and pulled one out. “I’ll give you a bottle.” I said. “These others are signed for the crew.”
    He takes a couple of big slugs and sets it down. “Why can’t I have one of these?” he said. I told him those bottles were for the crew and I had the exact right number. If you take one, I told him, somebody’s not gonna get one. He walks away, over to one of my guests in the dressing room, a booking agent Eddie knew but mistook for the son of Warner Brothers Recors chairman Mo Ostin. He proceeded to give the guy a ration of shit about something that made no sense to anyone but Ed. “And your dad, he was a great man, and you and your brother are nothing.”
    He was raving crazy. He already attacked Valarie’s brother who made the mistake of showing up to the concert to see his ex-brother-in-law. People were screaming and yelling in the dressing room, and he was running wild beating up people and smashing bottles against the wall. He lost it completely.

Irving took me aside. “When the show’s over,” he told me, “I’m getting in my limo and we’re getting out of here.” My plane was awaiting to take me home.
    It was the worst show we’d ever done in our lives.

(Valerie Bertinelli – Losing it)

But the good mood was wiped out by the drama at the show. Ed was in terrible shape, and those closest to him on the tour let me know that they were scared for his life. I saw what they meant as soon as I spotted him backstage. Months on the road, the shit storm he created around himself, and the crap he took ravaged his skinny frame. I saw the damage in his eyes, which were wild as his long, messy hair.

By this point, Ed also hated Sammy. There always had to be a bad guy in his life, someone responsible for all of his problems, and as far as he was concerned, that was Sammy now. I could feel the tension between them all the way out at the soundboard, where I watched the show with Tom, who put a protective arm around m whenever some unruly guys began getting too close to me.
    During one of Ed’s solos, the crowd chanted “Ed-dee! Ed-dee! Ed-dee!” I leaned over and shouted in Tom’s ear, “If they only knew the truth.”

That was apparent soon enough. During Sammy’s guitar solo on “Eagles Fly” one of his own songs, Ed started in on Pat, who was watching the show from my old perch on Ed’s side of the stage. The two of them had always gotten along. But Ed was in a state. He yelled at Pat, and then tried to choke my much larger brother. Taken by surprise, Pat defended himself by grabbing Ed’s hand and saying, “Don’t do this. You don’t want to do this.”

PAT.jpg

(Pat – Valarie’s Brother with Wolfgang)
    With his free hand, Ed tried to take a swing at Pat. Pat blocked his punch, took hold of both of Ed’s arms, and yelled, “You don’t want to do this!” Fortunately, one of the burly backstage security guards agreed. He grabbed Ed and dragged him away. I saw the whole thing unfold from where I was watching with Tom by the soundboard. I couldn’t believe it. And then again, I knew what Ed was like when he was drinking heavily. I also knew from what we’d been told that he was beyond that point and in some other place. Still.
    “What the fuck is going on?” I said to Tom.

He had no idea. I felt bad that he was seeing this... This drama that had been and was still part of my life.
    “I have to get up there” I said heading into the crowd.

By the time I got to the side of the stage, Pat was walking away and Ed was going back onstage.
    “What the hell happened” Pat said upon seeing me.

“I don’t know,” I said, “You tell me.”

“I can’t believe that asshole,” Pat muttered. “He’s out of his mind. Something’s wrong with him.”
    “Welcome to my life-again,” I said.

I stayed on the side of the stage and kept a watchful eye on Wolfie through his solo and then followed him backstage after the show. Ed had destroyed his guitar and screamed at the audience through the microphone. It was a mess. I wanted to get Wolfie out of there as soon as possible. He also wanted to get out of there. Through years of dealing with his dad, he’d learned that you don’t try to help or reason with Ed when he’s like that. You get away.
    As Ed ripped up his dressing room, various people expressed their concern to me about him. Ed wasn’t my problem anymore. My thoughts were on Wolfie.

In the van back to Scottsdale, I tried to talk to Wolfie about what had happened with Ed, but he shut me down with a curt, “No mom, not now.” Soon he fell asleep for the remainder of the long drive, and the rest of us talked and a dozed until we got back to Pat and Stacy’s.

SAMMY HAGAR:
    Irving took me aside. “When this show’s over,” he told me, “I’m getting you in a limo, and we’re getting out of here.” My plane was waiting to take me home. It was the worst show we’d ever done in our lives. Eddie played so bad. He smashed his favorite guitar to pieces. Sprayed shrapnel into the crowd. He got on the microphone, crying. “You don’t understand,” he said. “You people pay my rent. I love you people.”

They tell me he pulled some crazy shit on the plane home. My man was completely gone and out of it. I went straight to my plane after the show and home to San Francisco. I never spoke to him again after telling him to keep his hand off my shirt.

Hagar says: “Eddie’s problems are all from drugs and alcohol, and all of it self-inflicted. Eddie’s not tortured by anything but Eddie.”

MICHAEL ANTHONY

When was the last time you saw Eddie Van Halen?
    The last time I actually spoke or saw him in person was right after we walked offstage in 2004, the last show of the tour.

How were things then?
    It really didn’t end in total peace and harmony within the band, for whatever reasons. I’m not going to finger-point at anyone, but the tour, after eighty shows, just couldn’t go on at that point.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

More Pics

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,502 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, he just looked terrible for that whole tour. Even hearing brief online snippets of some of those shows was depressing, like what the fuck happened to Eddie?

He looked a little fucked up at the 2006 Namm convention, and wasn't playing great, either. His appearance in that first reunion promo shot of the three Van Halens and Roth, which was released in early 2007, was also discouraging. He still looked fucked up. A lot of people were bitching about the Van Halens not showing up to the RnRHoF with Roth and playing a few tunes. I was one of them, but I guess Ed was in rehab again at that point. Obviously, that was a positive thing, because at least he was able to get through the 2007 part of the reunion tour before relapsing again.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

I don't read Hagar's comments about stuff like that, what's the point?

When he talks about any detail we can check he tells dozens of lies so anything he says about stuff we can't know is likely to be even less accurate and self serving.

Ed is always criticized for his meltdown but the poor bastard had just attended 80 Van Hagar shows in a row.

Dreams? Wings of a pantyliner? Night after night, week after week.

I challenge anyone to have to do that and not end up fucked up.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-31-2015 at 09:42 AM.

6. 6 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

BumBahDeeDah (07-31-2015),Greenbuds (07-31-2015),Grit (08-05-2015),Jetstream (07-31-2015),Terry (07-31-2015),VAiN (08-01-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Ed is always criticized for his meltdown but the poor bastard had just attended 80 Van Hagar shows in a row.
    Good point Sesh. Drugs and alcohol were a necessity.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Not if you read some of these idiots on Twitter, who proclaim that a Van Hagarita reunion would be a "sold out, guaranteed" tour......

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2015 @ 04:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Not if you read some of these idiots on Twitter, who proclaim that a Van Hagarita reunion would be a "sold out, guaranteed" tour......
    Yeah, if they play donut shops.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

There's a surprising amount of video from that tour, including multiple full shows. Ed looked like hell that entire tour. Even if i hadn't known about the shape he was in on that tour, it would've been obvious to me that something wasn't right with the guy. A disregard for his appearance; the way he carried himself onstage; the fuck ups/sloppy play. Not a great time to be a VH fan.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

1985-2007 wasn't a great time to be a VH fan.

12. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (08-01-2015),Terry (07-31-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

22 fucking years. Thanks for putting that in perspective Sesh.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Fuck that who would call themselves that then , ok to be Dave fan tho

15. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

katina (07-31-2015)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Please 'Saint' guy, whoever the hell you are, note this is not a forum where anything that Sammy Hagar did is recognized as a legit form of true Van Halen. I think I can speak for the majority that we do not give a rat's ass about this Van Hagar guy or his time in a band which no longer represented Van Halen. Printing any excerpts from the Red Liar's book here is like posting fucking Harry Potter on a Mark Twain site... fuck Sammy Hagar and the booze peddling jackass he rode in on man!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

As a rule of thumb I assume everyone who posts on this site is warf until proven otherwise , just makes it easier

18. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (07-31-2015)

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-31-2024 @ 03:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,469 Posts

Why the fuck are we talking about a meltdown that happened in the Van Hagar era 11 years ago?

20. 2 users say thank you to WARF for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (07-31-2015),Von Halen (08-01-2015)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dreams? Wings of a pantyliner? Night after night, week after week.

I challenge anyone to have to do that and not end up fucked up.
    Poor bastard? Rich bastard is more like it. Sorry but I don't feel sorry for anyone who makes millions of dollars for playing a musical instrument no matter how bad the songs are. I feel a little sympathy for the roadies that have to listen to that crap night after night that don't make millions of dollars doing it. If that rich bastard had ever had to work a real job he might appreciate the fact he gets paid the kind of cash he gets paid for doing what he does instead of crying and acting like a spoiled child all the time.

22. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (08-01-2015)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

If Sam gave me a signed bottle of swill I'd put it on eBay as soon as I got home.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    As a rule of thumb I assume everyone who posts on this site is warf until proven otherwise , just makes it easier
    Saint digs up old news just like WARF does...

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

just much less often

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    If Sam gave me a signed bottle of swill I'd put it on eBay as soon as I got home.
    You'd probably get more money for it if you washed off his autograph. Sam might be a dickhead but Cabo Wabo Tequila is pretty decent "swill".

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Why the fuck are we talking about a meltdown that happened in the Van Hagar era 11 years ago?
    Good point. Pretty sad too see Ed like that. I went too that show. Closest I ever had seat's too watch Ed. After the 5th song I knew he was out of it and started too watch Al all night. Great drummer !!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Good point. Pretty sad too see Ed like that. I went too that show. Closest I ever had seat's too watch Ed. After the 5th song I knew he was out of it and started too watch Al all night. Great drummer !!
    Some people say the whole band was fucked up and perfomed sloppilly at the Us Festival but I didn't think so and I was close enough to the stage to see them pretty clearly. I have seen Aerosmith when Steven Tyler was so fucked up he blew chunks on the side of the stage. He seemed like he was getting frustrated that the crowd wasn't singing along loud enough during Come Together right before he did it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Because you can only talk about Roth's current waning vocal abilities for so long before you have to change the channel: even if the new station is also shitty music, at least it's different shitty music.

30. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

WARF (07-31-2015)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Yeah, Al was dead-bang on at both the 2008 and 2012 shows I saw. Dave and Al carried the band the night I saw them in 2008.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Not unless all the promoters who took a bath in 2004 have collective amnesia...

You haven't seen many 10,000 + capacity gigs half-sold since Roth rejoined.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

True. Although it was Ed hitting rock bottom in front of the world, I'm quite happy he managed to turn his life around and didn't become a fuckin casualty. It would just be another sad ending to an inspiring legend
    And I'm certainly not using the term "legend" loosely here.

34. Thanked Diamondjimi for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (08-01-2015)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Poor bastard? Rich bastard is more like it. Sorry but I don't feel sorry for anyone who makes millions of dollars for playing a musical instrument no matter how bad the songs are. I feel a little sympathy for the roadies that have to listen to that crap night after night that don't make millions of dollars doing it. If that rich bastard had ever had to work a real job he might appreciate the fact he gets paid the kind of cash he gets paid for doing what he does instead of crying and acting like a spoiled child all the time.
    Say hi to Peter Criss here! Same fucking idiot!

36. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-01-2015)

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The only tragic part about this Tuscon gig was that Eddie was not sober enough to have the guitar land accurately on Spamster's fat fuckin' head.

38. 2 users say thank you to BITEYOASS for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (08-01-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (08-01-2015)

Thread Information