Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed gets his jaw cracked by Valerie's dad - 1989

12/31/89

I read Valerie's book and there's an interesting story in it from 1989.

(Valerie Bertinelli – Losing It) – Valerie tells the story about how her father cracked Ed’s jaw.

It was New Years Eve and we had spent it at the beach with my parents. Ed was drinking Jägermeister’s and getting progressively drunker and angrier for no apparent reason. Pissed off at everyone, he decided that he wanted to leave. Everyone knew that he was too wasted to drive-everyone that is, except for Ed. As he got up, I grabbed the car keys, and the two of us tussled as he tried to pry them from my hands. My dad stepped forward and yelled at Ed to take his hands off me.

“Daddy, I’m OK,” I said.

“Stop it Ed, “my dad ordered.

“Daddy, he’s not hurting me, “ I said. “Don’t worry about it. I’m just going to hide the keys.”

Suddenly Ed lunged for the keys though it appeared he was going for me, and boom, he collided with my dad’s fist. Or vice versa. It didn’t matter. My dad had been imploring him to stop, stop, stop, but then he threw a right that landed squarely on Ed’s cheek. My dad had boxed as a younger man and knew what he was doing when he threw a punch. Later, Ed got over the sting, he blew his nose, and the whole side of his face blew up. His cheekbone was cracked.

I took him to the emergency room. After examining him and hearing an explanation of what had happened, the doctor told Ed that he’d be all right physically, but added, “You might want to check yourself in someplace and get some help.”
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yipes...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-26-2018 @ 11:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=THE SAINT;1892659]12/31/89

(Valerie Bertinelli – Losing It) – Valerie tells the story about how her father cracked Ed’s jaw.

[COLOR="#FF0000"] Ed was drinking Jägermeister’s and getting progressively drunker and angrier for no apparent reason.

Isn't alcoholism fun? Especially when you think rich guitarists with beautiful wives should be so fucking happy. .

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

I never thought Val was beautiful at all. Nothing special about her.

Maybe that's why Ed was drunk all the time?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    I never thought Val was beautiful at all. Nothing special about her.

Maybe that's why Ed was drunk all the time?
    Nah, he stayed wasted in order to put up with that putz Sammy Hagar.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My favourite part of Hagar's book is when he goes to Eddie's house to discuss the 2004 VH reunion and discovers that Ed seems to be a far gone alcoholic, and / or total basket case 'living in a house that looked like it was inhabited by vampires' (or words to that effect). He sees Ed walking around drinking straight from a bottle of wine, and says, ' hey, Ed - don't you want a glass for that?'

Eddie holds up the bottle and says, 'it's already in a glass'.

Take that, Spambot.

7. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (08-12-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    My favourite part of Hagar's book is when he goes to Eddie's house to discuss the 2004 VH reunion and discovers that Ed seems to be a far gone alcoholic, and / or total basket case 'living in a house that looked like it was inhabited by vampires' (or words to that effect). He sees Ed walking around drinking straight from a bottle of wine, and says, ' hey, Ed - don't you want a glass for that?'

Take that, Spambot.
    And while Al is sitting there sweating bullets praying that Sam won't say Ed's too fucked up to tour, lol.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 3,450 Posts

And Val's dad yelled "and that's for hiring that douche bag Sammy Hagar you fucking jerkoff!!"

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    And while Al is sitting there sweating bullets praying that Sam won't say Ed's too fucked up to tour, lol.
    Funny you mention Al as I thought he got a pass for that monstrosity of a tour in '04. He had a front row seat to Ed's life at that time. Did he really believe Ed was in any shape to tour, or was he "conned" like Sam? I find that hard to believe.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Funny you mention Al as I thought he got a pass for that monstrosity of a tour in '04. He had a front row seat to Ed's life at that time. Did he really believe Ed was in any shape to tour, or was he "conned" like Sam? I find that hard to believe.
    Al, Sam, and Mike were all grown men and knew damn well that Ed was on the verge of taking the MCRTA. Sam catches a lot of flak for touring while Ed was so bad off but Al was behind that kit every night, cashing checks as fast as he got em. But Ed wasn't about to lay off the booze - no matter what. So I guess they all just figured what's the difference? At least on the road you'd hope the guy would hold it half way together in order to do the shows but we all know how that turned out.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Al, Sam, and Mike were all grown men and knew damn well that Ed was on the verge of taking the MCRTA. Sam catches a lot of flak for touring while Ed was so bad off but Al was behind that kit every night, cashing checks as fast as he got em. But Ed wasn't about to lay off the booze - no matter what. So I guess they all just figured what's the difference? At least on the road you'd hope the guy would hold it half way together in order to do the shows but we all know how that turned out.
    Not only that, but Al traveled/lived with Ed that tour, so there's no way he couldn't have known the shape he was in. I think Al, Sam and Mike just hoped/figured he'd get it together enough. Yeaaaahhh. That one didn't go so well.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post

Take that, Spambot.
    I think Ed also told Sam that he thought he looked like he got in a fight. Ha! In the shape he was in, he thought Roundy looked beat up.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Life lesson: Don't fuck around unless you can fuck around.........

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    That is a tricky one. I did the due diligence of watching a bunch of '04 videos just to see how far the mighty Ed had fallen. There was one of Dreams where Mike and Sammy were stage center and Ed was anchored facing Al with one foot on the riser. You could almost read Al's face, "stay with me you sonuva bitch, stay with me!!". Not sure how even Al couldn't get him to clean up his act first before attempting anything like a tour. Sam said that Al whooped Ed's ass a bit when he came out all covered in sharpie marker. That anger on Al's part came a little too late.

16. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (08-13-2015)

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds like purse swinging to me.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THE SAINT View Post
    12/31/89

It was New Years Eve and we had spent it at the beach with my parents. Ed was drinking Jägermeister’s and getting progressively drunker and angrier for no apparent reason. Pissed off at everyone, he decided that he wanted to leave. Everyone knew that he was too wasted to drive-everyone that is, except for Ed. As he got up, I grabbed the car keys, and the two of us tussled as he tried to pry them from my hands. My dad stepped forward and yelled at Ed to take his hands off me.

“Daddy, I’m OK,” I said.

“Stop it Ed, “my dad ordered.

“Daddy, he’s not hurting me, “ I said. “Don’t worry about it. I’m just going to hide the keys.”

Suddenly Ed lunged for the keys though it appeared he was going for me, and boom, he collided with my dad’s fist. Or vice versa. It didn’t matter. My dad had been imploring him to stop, stop, stop, but then he threw a right that landed squarely on Ed’s cheek. My dad had boxed as a younger man and knew what he was doing when he threw a punch. Later, Ed got over the sting, he blew his nose, and the whole side of his face blew up. His cheekbone was cracked.

I took him to the emergency room. After examining him and hearing an explanation of what had happened, the doctor told Ed that he’d be all right physically, but added, “You might want to check yourself in someplace and get some help.”

Why would you publicize that?

Seriously why?

True or not probably true but why would you share that?

For money?

For more fame?

Why do these people do it? It's a question that doesn't get asked enough IMHO.

I think it may be that she is an idiot hole.

If anyone can come up with a reason for doing what she has given they share a son, they appear to be still friendly and she is not bankrupt that doesn't put her in a bad light I'd like to hear it.

19. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (08-12-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW I'm not saying that from a viewpoint that EVH isn't an idiot hole too.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What I'm trying to say is that if you take a cross section of the members here or the population at large.

On average the vast majority will be nicer people than the Van Halen's or at least far more self aware.

Whether that is down to the fact that the reason they got to the top because they had that attitude or they became that way from getting too much flattery for too long we can't know.

What we can know is we've all acted like a dick from time to time, why would she need to sell it?

22. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-12-2015)

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not hard to believe, but they should have kept that dirty laundry to themselves. Looks good for nobody......

24. Thanked Igosplut for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (08-12-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    What we can know is we've all acted like a dick from time to time, why would she need to sell it?
    Hello!! McFly!!!

Why would she put this in a tell all book? Because it sells. No, she obviously doesn't need the money. But putting the dirt in her book will move product and get her what she loves more than anything else - attention.

Nobody would give two shits about her book if she glossed over the Deranged Ed Years. Nobody. She knows it, Ed knows it. And honestly, it's probably the stone cold truth.

26. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-13-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Cool

Why would she put this in a tell all book? Because it sells. No, she obviously doesn't need the money. But putting the dirt in her book will move product and get her what she loves more than anything else - attention.

Nobody would give two shits about her book if she glossed over the Deranged Ed Years. Nobody. She knows it, Ed knows it. And honestly, it's probably the stone cold truth.
    Besides all that, who really in their right mind wanted to learn all the dirt about a minor CBS sitcom called "One Day At A Time", ya know?

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd put it that simple...you touch my daughters, you die...no matter who you are...

29. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-13-2015)

Thread Information