Thread: Van Halen Talking about - Crazy From the Heat

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen Talking about - Crazy From the Heat

Reading a few quotes, I love how Eddie is positive at first about the album, and then after the break-up he shits all over it. Here are a few quotes from Mike Anthony, who in my mind never liked Roth, and 2 quotes from Ed - a few years apart.

(Michael Anthony)
    What did you think when Dave recorded the Crazy From the Heat EP? (Guitar World - Michael Anthony)

MA: I remember we were going to Europe and we were sitting at the airport and he played us the tape, the EP of the songs that were going to be on the album. I thought it was pretty shitty that he'd always get on Edward's case because he was being approached to do different things like, "Beat it" and all kinds of different things. And Roth was, "If this affects me, I want to know." And then all of the sudden, one day he goes, "Hey, I got these four songs that Ted Templeman and I are going off and doing." It was, "Wow, what is this guys trip?" Was he testing the waters to see what he could do on his own? Now that he's finally got an inkling of what's going on within the band.

He plays us this tape and it's like, "Mmm, yeah, good." I wasn't going to tell him to his face that I thought it stunk. I wouldn't buy anything like that myself. I'm like, "Well, this is really gonna give Van Halen fans a shot in the arm as to what this band is now?" He's doing four loony cover tunes that have nothing to do with any kind of music that we're doing. And personally everybody I know who bought or listened to the EP was saying, "Hey, is this just some kind of joke thing that he wanted to put out?" And he's like serious.

(EDDIE VAN HALEN – 1984 – Guitar World)
    GW: What are your feelings about Dave solo album?

I think it's something he always wanted to do. I think it's great he's actually doing it. Put it this way, it's something I've always wanted to do, and haven't done. I guess, in a funny way, it explains days as a vocalist in their assist. He did for cover tunes, California girls, Easystreet, just a gigolo and another one, yet managed to project his personality through them. I expect it to be accepted by people in the same way everything we've done has been. I've heard it all and it sounds real good. Edgar Winter played a lot of stuff on it, and one of the Beach boys actually saying on California girls. Ted produced it. It's Dave.

GW: Did Dave want any of your input?

EVH: No. It's something he wanted to do alone. He actually started doing it when Don and I were doing the film soundtracks for the wildlife. It's not that he didn't want it, but what's a solo project if you're going to have your band playing on it?

GW: Do you think Dave wanted to have some original songs?

Yeah, I guess. You have to ask him that, to tell you the truth. I think these were tunes that Dave feels a part of and I always liked and wanted to redo. I don't think he's out to prove anything. I know it will be good for him personally in his own self satisfaction when it takes off the way I expect and hope it will. I seriously want the best for it, in the same way he'd want the best for me or out or Mike if we did anything outside the band.

What did you think of, "Crazy From the Heat?" (EVH: Guitar World 86)

I think it was a novelty item. He didn't write any of it- it's full of songs written by other people. In my mind that's an easy way out, because the songs he did have been hits already. Ted always said, "Hey, when you redo a hit, you're halfway there, because the song's' been proven." But that's not my way of thinking; I like to do my stuff. That isn't to say I like my own stuff better. But if you have ideas, why be a bar band- why not take a shot at your own stuff? I've had enough of playing other people's music in clubs for seven years. Now that I have the chance, I want to do my own now.

DLR:
    I read in Us magazine, it says, Valerie Bertinelli says “I want a baby.” God Bless her! And I imagine that she’s back in LA right now trying to get pregnant, and I’m sure Ed wants to be there. (DLR – Friday Night Videos)
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THE SAINT View Post
    I think it was a novelty item. He didn't write any of it- it's full of songs written by other people. In my mind that's an easy way out, because the songs he did have been hits already. Ted always said, "Hey, when you redo a hit, you're halfway there, because the song's' been proven." But that's not my way of thinking; I like to do my stuff. That isn't to say I like my own stuff better. But if you have ideas, why be a bar band- why not take a shot at your own stuff? I've had enough of playing other people's music in clubs for seven years. Now that I have the chance, I want to do my own now.
    But Ed doesn't listen to other people's music, so he wouldn't know anyways!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    But Ed doesn't listen to other people's music, so he wouldn't know anyways!
    I thought about that when I saw that video of him playing Zep riffs while he was rehearsing for a gig with Hagar that somebody posted here recently.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They also used to play Addicted To Love in the tuning room before they went onstage. That clip was on one of the MTV Van Hagar specials.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I tried to find the thread where Eddie said Dave's not his friend and he had to tell Mike how to play bass to see exactly what he said about listening to music again but I couldn't find it using the search function.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THE SAINT View Post
    Reading a few quotes, I love how Eddie is positive at first about the album, and then after the break-up he shits all over it.
    While Ed clearly seems less enthusiastic about CFTH in '86, I don't think that his referring to it as a novelty is shitting on it. By definition, it's not particularly a bad thing either...

nov·el·ty ˈnävəltē/ noun: the quality of being new, original, or unusual.

My point is, after all of the juvenile vitriol Ed has at one time or another spouted off towards Dave, he's still made it clear on a few occasions that he is jealous of what Dave can do. Granted, one of those times was alluded to in Dave's book, but I'm taking Dave's word for it. Ed admits some jealousy in the first quote you posted.
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 08-14-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Thread Information