Clear All
  • THE SAINT
    Roadie
    • Feb 2006

Feb 1985 - Ed Donates a Guitar to the Hard Rock Cafe

FEB. 18th, 1985 - ED DONATES A GUITAR TO THE HARD ROCK CAFÉ

EVH.jpg

Wall of fame – PEOPLE MAGAZINE

Used to be, fellas hung moose heads on the wall. These days, it's rock 'n' roll trophies. That's why Eddie Van Halen—with wife Valerie Bertinelli looking on—donated his customized Kramer guitar to N.Y.'s Hard Rock Cafe, whose walls abound with rock memorabilia. Although Van Halen is currently taking a break from touring, his guitar will continue on without him to other Hard Rocks in London and Stockholm.

1985, with Valerie at the Hard Rock Café – Donating a guitar – MTV interview (Noisy crowd in the background)

Are you recording?

EVH: I've got enough material for about two solo records. If uh, you know? I’m not sure.

Valerie: You should know that in your trivia thing. They Started Mammoth. (Laughs)

EVH: After about three beers and five songs, my voice would be gone, that's why we got Dave. Basically. I couldn't keep up. (Laughs)

Valerie: You always told me that you couldn't play and sing at the same time.

Ed: Yeah! And besides that, my voice wouldn't hold up.

Valerie: Hmmm (both laugh)

Inaudible question:

Ed: 5150.... Police code for escape mental case. Not dangerous though.

Valerie: (laughs) I'll attest to that.

Ed: Violent mental case.

Inaudible question

Ed: I enjoy playing with anybody and everybody really. You know? If it ever comes together. Why not?

No... He was out there, we were on tour. And he was out there to do a thing with John Entwistle. And I was like hey, do you need another guitarist? I'll fill in and play. That’s all.

Pardon??

No, Ted's no longer with us.

Mtv: He still with Dave?

Ed: Well, he did Dave's solo record, but he doesn't want to work the way that Don Landee and I want to work. So... He kind of removed himself. He wasn't fired or anything.

MTV: What's ahead for the next record. I know he went to wherever he was at?

Valerie: New Guinea. (Laughs)

Ed: Yeah I think he lost the tape. So he never got anything done. (Laughs)

Valerie: Lost in the mountains

Ed (laughs)

MTV: So again, what's ahead for the next Van Halen record?

Ed: uggghhhh - (laughs) get me out of here...

Ed: (shrugs) I don't know. (Lights cigarette)

Valerie: Put it this way, he's writing a lot.

MTV: We'll do this again. What's ahead for the next Van Halen record?

Ed: Well, oh, we actually started recording about a month ago. We're just taking it real slow, you know? I guess were kind of waiting for Dave's record to do its- to run its course you know? When that dies down then we'll get serious about the next Van Halen record.

MTV: I presume - inaudible question

Ed: Oh definitely! As far as I know

Valerie: I’m not working anymore. Inaudible - paycheck.

Ed: You ask if the band is breaking up? Far as I know, I'm not going anywhere. (Laughs)

MTV: I've heard that Jump was around for really long time. When you guys decided to record it.

Ed: I wrote the, I wrote the music to that (interrupted)

Valerie: in our living room while I had the (laughs) (interupted)

Ed: while you had what?

Valerie: You wrote the music to it about three years ago when you/we didn't have a studio in our backyard. And you used our living room. It was your first synthesizer I think?

Ed: Yeah right, kept Blowing up on me.

Valerie: Yeah right, but I mean I was shooting a film at the time, and I had 6 o'clock in the morning calls. And by the third night after he had written it (laughs) at 4 o'clock in the morning I finally said, SHUT UP!!!!

(Both laugh)

Ed: Alright already!

Valerie: and then he told Rolling Stone that, they got all these letters saying that if Valerie doesn't want him I'll take him. (Waves hand) wait, they got the wrong idea.

Valerie: I still want him, I just don't want to hear music at 4 o'clock in the morning when I have to get up at six.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

As Eddie Van Halen later told Rolling Stone, “I’d stay up until 6 in the hotel room writing, [and] Roth would bang on everybody’s door at 8, 9 in the morning to get us to go roller skating or jogging. I’m going, ‘F— you, man, I just got to sleep,’ and he would be saying, ‘Well, man, you live wrong.’” For his part, Roth simply shrugged it off by admitting that “there was always tension between me and Edward … but then there’s always tension with me and everyone!”
    Attached Files
  • THE SAINT
    Roadie
    • Feb 2006

Pics

EVH3.jpgEVH4.jpg

Comment

• THE SAINT
      Roadie
      • Feb 2006

Pics

EVH5.jpgEVH6.jpg