Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Cutting mikey out of the picture -

CUTTING MIKE OUT OF THE PICTURE

The Van Halen brothers rarely had any love for Mike. Ed certainly slammed him in quite a few interviews. It got to the point where they started taking away his earnings. It was bad enough that Ed tried to get Billy Sheehan to take his place.

(EVH on Mike 1982)

Do you have any feelings about David Lee Roth’s vocals on the album?

The truth is, I don’t think he sang as good as I played. He took off for two weeks, and again it was, “What do you got Eddie?” and I had pretty much basic ideas for everything that is on record. I worked my ass off on that one. But I love it, it’s my life. At least Dave pulls his weight. Mike doesn’t. He doesn’t do anything. He has no input whatsoever. Period. But he has remodeled his whole house and bought himself a Turbo Carrera off the money he’s made off us. Whatever.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

The Brothers made Mikey take a cut in pay

SAMMY HAGAR (RED)

The brothers decided that Mike Anthony wasn’t making enough of a contribution to continue earning a full share of the music publishing. Truthfully, Mikey didn’t write. Ever. He basically played on bass what Eddie would tell him. He was a quick study and he would add to what he was given. Mike was a creative bass player. He had an incredible background voice that made a big difference in the sound of Van Halen. But the brothers needed money.

Al was almost broke. We were making tons of money, but Al as many million dollars in debt. Leffler helped consolidate his bills and arranged a five-year window with him just paying interest. He had a little real estate cash. He’d bought a $2 million dollar house that he sunk even more millions into for rock-star junk like a rubber room, and then sold it for a big loss. He was making really bad deals.
    We held a meeting and took a vote on reducing Mike’s partnership to 10 percent. Leffler and I voted no, but Mikey sided with the Van Halen's and voted against himself, 3-2.
    “I understand what you’re saying,” he said, “and I’m okay with it.”

(SAMMY HAGAR – MIKE ANTHONY – HOWARD STERN INTERVIEW – Mike was on the phone)

HS: Michael, does it drive you crazy too that these guys get all the publishing? Wouldn’t you like to get a couple of those dollars?
    SH: Oh no, Mike got part of the publishing
    HS: He did?
    SH: Forever. They took it from him in the end.
    HS: Because the brothers?
    SH: The brothers.
    HS: They took it away? How can they take away your publishing Michael?
    MA: (Long pause) I don’t know Howard.

SH: He. He.
    HS: But seriously. How can they do that legally?
    SH: No! Mike has to admit. I have to standup for Mike now. I mean, note for note, I’m gonna dog Mike now. We were in a room. Ed Leffler when he was our manager and still alive. Ed, Al, Myself and Mike said ok, Ed and Al come up with this scheme that they wanted to take Mike’s publishing away for not contributing enough as a, “writer” in the band, as if Al was, but sorry, that’s ok. And, and, and they go, ok, vote Ed and I, the manager, Ed Leffler and I were going, “We’re gonna vote for Michael.” But Mike didn’t vote for himself, and he lost the friggin’ vote.
    RQ: What?
    HS: Mike? Why didn’t you vote for yourself?
    SH: There ya go.
    MA: You know, like Sam said, you know, Howard.. I’m not the major songwriter in the band or whatever. I mean.. But I do put 100% in of what I do.
    SH: Hell yes!
    HS: Yeah, but you’re the bass player you’re contributing a major part of a song and you’re also contributing those vocals. Why did you vote off your, your, your publishing?
    RQ: You didn’t vote for yourself!!!
    SH: Mike? I’m sorry! I just threw Mike under the bus!
    MA: Yeah! Yeah!
    HS: Mike! Mike! Mike! Mike, I mean!
    SH: Mike, I guess I’ll see you next week huh? (laughs)
    HS: Mike, that’s not.. actually that’s not throwing you under the bus because that’s one of the most selfless things I’ve ever heard. Like, that is like amazingly -- nice. I mean
    RQ: But why did he do it?
    SH: Because he would have been tortured if he would have.
    HS: That’s what it was!
    SH: Those guys would have crucified. He would have had to deal with what you know? Nobody wants to deal with.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

The Brothers made Mikey give up his Cabo Wabo investment

Sammy Hagar (Unreleased Book) Circa 1994

"Believe me," lamented the Red Rocker, "the papers I had to sign with the brothers to get the club was a really shit deal for me. The terms were unbelievable. For instance, if I ever made a penny selling it, I would have to repay the band the money they wrote off on their taxes. Next, if I ever brought the concept to the United States and tried to franchise it, they would get fifty percent of the profits forever. That same deal also extended to anything associated with the Cabo Wabo name. I had to sign all these documents that stated in the event anyone got sued, I paid all the costs. It even said in the contract that I could not let the club interfere with the band. If Eddie and Al voted that it was not a good time for me to travel to Cabo because they needed me, I couldn't go. God's truth that fucking clause was in there. I had to agree to all these conditions, otherwise there was no deal."

Hagar had no bargaining power, and he knew it. Apparently, neither did Michael Anthony. The brothers made him divest his interest in the club as well. If he didn't, Sammy says, they would have kicked him out of VanHalen.

"When it came right down to it," he said assuredly, "they didn't want Mike to have anything to do with the Cabo Wabo. They especially didn't want him and me to own the club. The bottom line to the whole deal was this. I gave the brothers what they wanted, which was control over me. Eddie and Al knew that I'd do anything to keep my wonderful, great idea. They wanted to rub my face in it and say, 'See, it didn't work. We lost all this money.' Believe me, they didn't like the idea of me saving it. What they pulled on me was nothing but a powerplay; I guarantee it. The funny thing is it backfired. From January 1, 1994 when David Haliburton walked out to January 1, 1995, we paid off all the outstanding debts, redesigned the club, and I pocketed a tidy $300,000 profit. It was unreal."

__________________________________________________ __

DLR On Mikey Circa 1994

Roth believes his influence was obvious to fans, painfully obvious when Hagar joined.

"The videos, the brown M&M’s, the stage, the parties,--it was all me. I had to go as far as editing the guitar solo and choreographing the bass solo Mike Anthony has been doing for the past 10 years. And what are they doing.. right now?" he laughed, tweaking his former groups Pepsi commercial/single.

"Ray Danniels is a cunning snake," declared Hagar. "He's like the devil where he can tell you everything you want to hear. When it came to me, Ray couldn't pull off that shit. From that day on, the two of us never got along. Michael Anthony was on my side at first in vetoing Ray as manager. Unfortunately, he's the spineless wonder type. He has no say-so in the band unless Ed and Al need his vote. Then they make him do what they want. When Mike informed me that he was siding with Eddie and Al to vote Ray in, that did it for me. In our next meeting, I told everyone that if Ray Danniels became the new manager of Van Halen, I was quitting the band. Alex jumped up when I said that and wanted to fight me right there on the spot. We were pushing each other and would have gone at it, if Eddie and Mike had not split us apart."

Here's the thing. Michael Anthony's the key. He would never say it now, but if he ever gets kicked out of Van Halen, or quits, he will have one helluva story to tell. He knows everything, because he was at a lot of the meetings with Ray and the brothers that I didn't attend. When Mikey was on my side, he told me some unbelievable things about Ray Danniels. You know what? Mike is still on my side, but he can't acknowledge it, if you know what I mean. If he did, the brothers would kick him out of the band."
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Road: You seemed like you were close with VH bassist Mike Anthony while you were in the band. Do you two still talk?

Hagar: "They got Mike by the balls. Mike is still my friend but he can't go against the brothers, they'll kill him. They've had him by the balls forever. Mike means well, but he is doing what they tell him. Believe me, Mike knows everything that happened. One day, he will write a book and we'll all find out. Mike left a New Year's message on my answering machine. He was wasted. (Imitates Mike) 'Sam, I gotta talk to ya brother! I miss ya, I love ya, man. Ooooh, you don't know, man, you don't know what's goin' on.' I'm going, 'I think I got a good idea, Mikey.' I called him back two days later when I got home and left two messages on his machine but he never returned my call."

__________________________________________________ __________________________

“When we did the 2004 reunion, Eddie didn’t even want me to be a part of that because he was so torqued up that I was buddies with Sammy,” Anthony recalled, in 2009. “Why can’t I be buddies with Sammy and still play with Van Halen? With those guys, it was a cut-and-dried situation. You are in or you are out.”

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Didn’t they make you sign something to participate in the last tour?

You’re putting all the dirt in this one, huh? I gave up a lot to do tour, as far as my percentage of what everyone was being paid. I did have to sign something at the end of the tour, that I was relinquishing any rights or claims that I had to anything that had to do with Van Halen. The reason I did the tour was: I didn’t need the money, but I kind of figured if it was the last time Van Halen ever went out, I’d be kicking myself if I didn’t go out onstage one last time for the fans. So I kind of sucked it up a bit.

But that didn’t affect your royalties or anything?

No.

Do you regret doing that?

There’s always things that you look at in hindsight that you could have done differently or whatever, or tried to make it better. I don’t regret going out, because I did enjoy going out and playing for the fans. I kind of regret the way that it turned out, because it should have been a tour that possibly went on for at least a year, and toured all over the world, and it just wasn’t meant to be. And that’s pretty sad, in my eyes.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Where did the 1982 quote come from?
    Last edited by blueturk; 08-15-2015 at 12:22 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

One simply does not air dirty laundry as Hagar does freely and then to add to it he embellishes his information. It would not surprise me that the Van Halen law suit he currently claims about playing music from the Van Hagar years is just the tip of the iceberg but it is actual law suit dealing with slander

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The 1982 Quote

Quote Originally Posted by blueturk View Post
    Where did the 1982 quote come from?
    Comes from a 1982 Interview with Steve Rosen. Sorry if I left that out. The interview was re-printed in a magazine - Guitar World Presents - Van Halen 40 Years of the Great American Rock Band.. the interview is entitled, "So this is Love." Ed was talking about Fair Warning.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I love even in 82 Ed had to acknowledge yeah Dave is a pain in the ass and pushes him but does deliver and bring it.

The irony of the Mike and Wolf chatter is they both seem to be the 2 most normal guys of the entire van halen tribe. Probably the only 2 of the lot you could spend a week with and not want to kill by the end of it.

6. Thanked Never was for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-16-2015)

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    I love even in 82 Ed had to acknowledge yeah Dave is a pain in the ass and pushes him but does deliver and bring it.

The irony of the Mike and Wolf chatter is they both seem to be the 2 most normal guys of the entire van halen tribe. Probably the only 2 of the lot you could spend a week with and not want to kill by the end of it.
    This is true, but I don't want normal & well-adjusted at the helm of VH.. I'm cool with the lunacy as long as it delivers!

That piece of shit pedestrian chickenfeets is the result of normal guys leading the way..

8. 2 users say thank you to VAiN for this KICKASS post:

Never was (08-16-2015),Terry (08-16-2015)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

agreed

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    I seem to recall Dave saying in an interview somewhere conducted between 1996 and 2004 that Mike Anthony was basically the whipping boy for the Van Halens because Roth plainly refused to allow himself to be put into that role when CVH was active.

And, yeah, on the face of it it is kinda lame how the Van Halens treated Anthony...particularly toward the end when they chucked him out of the group for basically playing live with Hagar (when the Van Halens were doing fuck-all at this point) and (gasp) not attending Ed's mother's funeral. Both pretexts reeking of bullshit rationales when you take into account the totality of Ed's attitude toward Mike going back years and years well before Hagar even joined.

But Anthony allowed himself to be rolled over by them, and even to this day remains passive. I mean, fuck, if you were Anthony and Ed started blathering on about how you never really contributed anything to the band even so much as in the way the backing vocals sounded...fuck, if you had even half a pair of stones, you'd be calling bullshit on it. Yet Anthony is always content to let Hagar stick up for him.

If Anthony is just too nice to defend himself, or figures defending himself isn't even worth it, or of he thinks he was lucky to be in that band to begin with, or what the deal is I have no idea. And yeah, if only 3 of 4 CVH members are to be in the band, to me Mike would be the expendable one...but that isn't the same as saying there is a CVH without Anthony, because there isn't.

11. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-17-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    If Anthony is just too nice to defend himself, or figures defending himself isn't even worth it, or of he thinks he was lucky to be in that band to begin with, or what the deal is I have no idea. And yeah, if only 3 of 4 CVH members are to be in the band, to me Mike would be the expendable one...but that isn't the same as saying there is a CVH without Anthony, because there isn't.
    The thing is, this lovely sweet, Alice Cooper-ilike "No More Mister Nice Guy" persona only goes so far.

Mike Anthony got screwed. He should augment competent legal counsel, and stop pretending to be a fucking teenager.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My understanding is that all the music released as "Van Halen" was written by Ed and that was the band dynamic in all the VH iterations- Ed came up with the music. Mike gets capped on for the whole "he didn't contribute" thing, but was he ever asked to contribute? If he'd brought in riffs and ideas of his own, how would that stuff have been received, particularly by Ed? I've also read more than once that Mike basically played what Ed told him to play. Why wasn't he allowed to come up with his own bass lines or at least allowed to collaborate with Ed in that area?

I don't remember reading any interviews with Mike where he was asked about bringing in his own riffs/ideas (did he ever? if so, how was it received?). Has anybody ever heard/read him speak on that subject?

Thread Information