Thread: One break, comin' up! Thoughts on the tour so far

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

One break, comin' up! Thoughts on the tour so far

Welp, we've reached a break point of sorts as the next show is six days away. Thought it would be interesting to get the Army's thoughts/comments about what we've seen/heard to this point. My own thoughts:

Dave is really singing well at this point. Seems like he's made a concerted effort to get the songs right too (China Town, for example). If we could get him to sing DTNA closer to the original, I don't know what there'd be to complain about that wouldn't be nit picking. I know some around here thought he got off to a rocky start the first couple of shows, but I'd say he's definitely righted the ship.

The Van Halens as a unit are just a precision machine. Just top shelf playing every night from all three guys.

Ed's playing has been fantastic. His outro solos on DDL have been awesome. He seems happier in general and really looks like he's enjoying what he's playing. He's been pretty spry too, bounding across the stage and throwing in some scissor jumps to boot. Just great to see him enjoying himself and playing at such a high level.

A guy at the Links had really good seats for a recent show and he thought the Dave/Ed interactions were "staged", presumably meaning phony. I haven't seen any of the shows live, but I just haven't seen that in the vids I've seen. Their interactions have looked genuine to me. Why fake it? They could just as easily not interact much at all and still pull off good shows, so why would they go to all the trouble of pretending to be enjoying what they're doing? Dave hasn't interacted a ton with Wolf, but that just seems like the norm to me as he never really has.

Set list has been very enjoyable. IASR has been so/so for me, but DDL has been great! Why that song wasn't played live before is beyond me.

I don't pay much attention to the staging (stage setup, lighting, video screens, etc.), so I don't have much to say there. Based on what i've read, most people seem to be happy with the stage setup.

There it is. Curious to hear other reactions...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Was going to talk about attendance in my first post but forgot. Based on what I've seen, the venues in general have looked anywhere from around 90+% full to completely full. I've read discussions about the attendance somehow being padded by free tickets or tickets with greatly reduced prices. I can't speak to any of that, nor do I know what the "official" attendance counts have been, but that kind of stuff is just noise to me. Bottom line to me is that these venues are looking pretty damn full and people are really enjoying the shows, so who cares?

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Edward sucks at hiding his emotions, and there is no way he could look any happier on stage right now... the biggest thing about this band at the moment is that they are a band on stage and not a bunch of individuals off in their own world and you can feel the unified energy of late, and I hope the break does not lessen the camaraderie
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. 3 users say thank you to Jetstream for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-17-2015),katina (08-17-2015),Zen Halen (08-18-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

I'm confident that this break will not effect their monstrous momentum. In fact, a little break could be just the right sized shot in the arm to continue at this pace. They've been playing a little bit longer of a set than in '12 and they've been going one song into the next like rapid fire. I'm wondering if they will have any set list adjustments. I'd say the only thing I find unusual is that it's been the identical set show after show. I'm looking forward to seeing this set in a couple of weeks, but would love it if I'll Wait were switched out for Full Bug or So This Is Love. Dave has proved that many of their songs are still in his wheel house.

6. 2 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (08-17-2015),katina (08-17-2015)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

At first "Light Up The Sky" seemed maybe out of Dave's capabilities but that turned to be pure bullshit because he has dropped it down a tad with the octaves and it serves in this state the perfect warm up for a concert. Dave is like a football player who needs a few hits to get into a game and though amazing, "Unchained" is too much full contact at the onset for him with a show to go. I think these old fucks (and being a in shape 47 year old, I still consider myself a card carrying member of the old fucks too) should stick to LUTS as the opener because it sets them up so well. The really cool aggressive tunes are percussive with the vocals and not some R&B bullshit, so I would not mind them chunking in DOA into the set and I really think like LUTS, if Dave dropped it down a notch he could easily pull off "Outtaspace" or what would really be cool is "Big River". Damn straight, ADKOT was a kick ass LP, and they could switch it up a bit with maybe "Chinatown" sticking because it is such a cool interactive song with father and son and Dave has got it down now

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 07:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Shocked at how well they ( Dave ) sound. Hes picked it up ten times over from what he sounded like in July. I didnt think he would last and this break can only be good. Still wish the setlist would change nightly but just isnt gonna happen.Eds solo is a waste honestly.We already know he can play but I guess there are some noobs that have actually not heard EVH. I would honestly rather hear him play " Mary had a little lamb" then that same freakin solo. Kudos to Wolf for keeping this together. Im still passing on this tour.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Shocked at how well they ( Dave ) sound. Hes picked it up ten times over from what he sounded like in July. I didnt think he would last and this break can only be good. Still wish the setlist would change nightly but just isnt gonna happen.Eds solo is a waste honestly.We already know he can play but I guess there are some noobs that have actually not heard EVH. I would honestly rather hear him play " Mary had a little lamb" then that same freakin solo. Kudos to Wolf for keeping this together. Im still passing on this tour.
    You are a die hard fan as anyone else and I totally get where you are coming from, but for me if this ends up at their age and dysfunctional history as the last tour... then I just have to be there

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Im still passing on this tour.
    I thought I was too, but it became too hard to "resist the diabolical urge."

11. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (08-17-2015)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Im still passing on this tour.
    damn shame

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-26-2018 @ 11:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    ... the biggest thing about this band at the moment is that they are a band on stage and not a bunch of individuals off in their own world
    Totally agree Jetstream. Your comment here is what resonates with me. Saw them in Toronto just over a week ago and they are a harmonious BAND!

In 2012 it was like watching Dave acting alone in a band he once fronted. Rehearsed, staged, phony or real, they are working together to create a set that just flies forward the minute it starts. It's an appropriate concert for their age, keeps the VH "philosophy" in tact and is so much better than 2012 by far. You'll never duplicate 2007/08 because they were just back together and Roth told everyone to "judge them (meaning him; harshly).

I can forgive his vocal shortcomings for more of what he's doing, which is injecting humor, storytelling, toast-mastery, and a pinch of buffoonery to what would otherwise, not be as entertaining, despite the VH trio of musical mastery.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Curious to hear other reactions...
    I was astonished by Dave´s fantastic improvement in his performance after a not so good beginning, they are killing it and people are really enjoying the shows. As Bridge said : I'm confident that this break will not effect their monstrous momentum.

I got tired of waiting for an elusive European Tour, and my reaction was to buy tickets for both Hollywood Bowl dates, October 2nd and 4th.
    It is easier for me to fly to the Florida shows but I prefer to travel to LA, the place where this chapter of Rock 'n Roll history began.

If no political or economic mayor crisis occurs down here, it will be an unforgettable holiday. I can´t wait !!!

15. 7 users say thank you to katina for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-18-2015),CreatureFrmTheC (08-19-2015),DLR Bridge (08-18-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (08-18-2015),TwoFoolsAMinute (08-18-2015),VAiN (08-19-2015),vandeleur (08-18-2015)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 02:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    I don't pay much attention to the staging (stage setup, lighting, video screens, etc.), so I don't have much to say there. Based on what i've read, most people seem to be happy with the stage setup.
    The display behind Al reminds me of an old monochrome amber screen monitor. Cheap and outdated. Cost cutting move?

During the '12 tour I complained about having the huge screen and then blocking it with the lighting rig most of the show. Yeah, I am there because of the music, but do it right or don't bother.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Moved to Main.....

18. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

CreatureFrmTheC (08-19-2015)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2018 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

After seeing them three times since the 07 reunion I am thinking this has been my favorite tour. The set list is incredible and the interplay between the band has been great. Dave has been raising his game with each show and it's been a pleasure to watch. That last show at Jones Beach was unreal. A little break to recharge the batteries will be good for them. If they come back out of the gates running these guys will be untouchable. Never been prouder of to be a fan of this band. Only thing better would be a live release.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

From what I've seen, the setlist, which has been great, hasn't changed at all. I think what kept them in the press in years past was when they threw in a rare song now and then. There would be some article on Blabbermouth about Van Halen playing a tune they had never played before. I for one miss, "Mean Street" and "Jamie's Cryin'."

After this tour winds up - What do you guys think the bands next move is? Wolf will put out his album eventually. Judging by his comments at the beginning of this tour, I think he was a bit upset that he couldn't go on with Tremonti.

Will there be a farewell tour? Will they put the band away and become reclusive for 2 more years?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Me thinks it looks and sounds like Van Halen. They haven't done that as a complete unit since 08 after Ed came back. Change up the setlist a little (Mean Streets please !!! ) and stay out there !!!!! I love it.

22. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (08-18-2015)

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2016 @ 05:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I hope they film one of these shows and put out a live DVD. That would buy them some time, while keeping things ticking over, until they record a new album.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    The display behind Al reminds me of an old monochrome amber screen monitor. Cheap and outdated. Cost cutting move?

During the '12 tour I complained about having the huge screen and then blocking it with the lighting rig most of the show. Yeah, I am there because of the music, but do it right or don't bother.
    I think this tour has been about focussing on the performance and minimizing the stage expense for sure. These amphitheatres have to be at least half the cost if not less...then needing to just put up a stage and a simple lighting rig has to save them some coin...imagine the cost of that massive screen from the last tour?

25. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (08-19-2015)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In contrast the recent U2 tour is almost over the top in terms of technology and stage setup. I think at times it was too much and did detract a bit, but it was a great show and had lots of great technology that did work really well

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I liked the staging U2 had on Vertigo, this tour is ok some stuff works some doesn't. The 360 tour I thought the staging was awful.
    For Van Halen simple works for them. I just think they could use the video screen much more effectively, the band had a sense of humor at one point plus just historical. It does not need to be over the top but a little something. I think the economics drives a lot of staging decisions.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I disagree this is a farewell tour. That doesn't mean egos will make it happen fast but do think they have one more record in them. They really should do a residency in Vegas. Fits the schedule doing every other day, stay in one spot, easy set up and really good money. At their age the ability to not have to travel and do tear down etc... but still play and make money is huge.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    I disagree this is a farewell tour. That doesn't mean egos will make it happen fast but do think they have one more record in them. They really should do a residency in Vegas. Fits the schedule doing every other day, stay in one spot, easy set up and really good money. At their age the ability to not have to travel and do tear down etc... but still play and make money is huge.
    Hell no, no fucking Vegas act... it carries a stigma about being washed up and it sure did not help Dave's image when he did, rather them do a few select large shows and be epic Van Halen!

30. Thanked Jetstream for this KICKASS post:

CreatureFrmTheC (08-19-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    They really should do a residency in Vegas. Fits the schedule doing every other day, stay in one spot, easy set up and really good money. At their age the ability to not have to travel and do tear down etc... but still play and make money is huge.
    Did someone hack your account?!

32. 2 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (08-19-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (08-20-2015)

Thread Information