X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
    I did enjoy the show I went to. It is much better being there, than watching Youtubes.
    Absolutely...

I said it after the Bristow show, but if you don't go to as many concerts as you used to, in which I fall into that category, but man, when that wall of sound hits you and EVH rips into Light Up The Sky, it sounds fantastic....

And my ears only rang for two days! Bonus!
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• danzig
      Groupie
      • Apr 2005

Rehearsals would have diminished what little voice Dave has left. Other veteran singers have refrained for the same reason. Dave wouldn't follow lock and step with Ed's hard rock direction is why there is no new material this tour.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

You can always do a "half assed" job of singing on the rehearsals. Make it more of an exercize in getting the timing and sound mixing right, but not straining the voice so much. Hell, Mick Jagger was doing that before he was 30!

Compare this to the official live performances on the 1972 tour to see how "low key" Mick is in the rehearsal.

Considering he can still sing in his 70s, he must have done something right.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BumBahDeeDah
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          And my ears only rang for two days! Bonus!
          My ears didn't ring at Jones Beach!!! Is it the lack of any ceiling there, or after all these years of loud music and loud concerts, I'm showing hearing loss?!! I warned my sister that it was gonna be loud, but she didn't complain. Chicago and Earth, Wind and FIYAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! was louder and had pain inducing moments at PNC, but there's a partial ceiling. Where did you see Van Halen?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BumBahDeeDah
            My ears didn't ring at Jones Beach!!! Is it the lack of any ceiling there, or after all these years of loud music and loud concerts, I'm showing hearing loss?!! I warned my sister that it was gonna be loud, but she didn't complain. Chicago and Earth, Wind and FIYAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! was louder and had pain inducing moments at PNC, but there's a partial ceiling. Where did you see Van Halen?

Bristow, VA
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Jetstream
              Foot Soldier
              • Dec 2011

At Houston Dave gave his 'dancing lessons' during the mid part of "Dance The Night Away" and something happened in that which showed something to me about the band. Everyone likes to think the band is going "would he please shut the fuck up" but something happened which maybe people might not consider, the brothers have actually grown to like Dave talking like a mad hatter. Dave asked them to help him out and Ed laughed and started playing "Jamie's Cryin'" out of the blue with Al for Dave to dance to... I think this band is enjoying themselves more than the fans who are discussing their relations and future in my opinion
              I got lost in the...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

One can only hope you're right, Jet. I'm with you. Hags, in that other thread, mentioned there's no chemistry. Hell, I almost would have agreed after the show I saw in Camden, where there was little interaction between anyone. But this recent incarnation is 75% about delivering the goods, 25% about delivering the show. There is a chemistry there that doesn't involve getting all lovey dovey for the whole show. It eats Hags alive that it works, and that all he can do is watch the random show clips he says his friends show him. What a joker. He's glued to his phone, watching them all, just like us, and he knows it.

Comment

• Never was
                  Foot Soldier
                  • May 2012

They have history as brothers going back to being a teenagers. In their old age they likely appreciate each other more than they used to but it doesn't make them agree on how to do things. These guys just have direct opposite approaches but when they get it in the same room it works. It requires breaking a lot of eggs but its a hell of an omelet. Dave's voice being shot or not really is less an issue in regard to a new record. His biggest and under rated contribution is as the co songwriter and most of the new material on ADKOT was Dave. His writing seems to be at a high level. They did a fair amount of writing in the fall of 2013 that for non-music reasons never lead to a new record.

They will do a new record I believe in mid 2016 for a 2017 release but if they don't the reasons will be non Van Halen related and due to their respective issues keeping them out of the studio. In the meantime Wolf has a cd, maybe Dave gets his out finally, and Eddie allegedly has some documentary project in the works. It may be a pretty productive time period for them but as always it takes the least issue to derail one of them.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Never was
                    They did a fair amount of writing in the fall of 2013 that for non-music reasons never lead to a new record.

They will do a new record I believe in mid 2016 for a 2017 release but if they don't the reasons will be non Van Halen related and due to their respective issues keeping them out of the studio. In the meantime Wolf has a cd, maybe Dave gets his out finally, and Eddie allegedly has some documentary project in the works. It may be a pretty productive time period for them but as always it takes the least issue to derail one of them.
                    Conjecture, or are you genuinely in the know?

Comment

• Northern Girl
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Same as it never was!
                      Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Someone remembered their log in password.

Comment

• Northern Girl
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                          because it's DLR Bridge - how could I forget it?

Comment

• Northern Girl
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Can't believe it's been two years! So what's Van Halen been up to?

Comment

• Never was
                              Foot Soldier
                              • May 2012

Conjecture, or are you genuinely in the know?
                              I know they did write in 2013 as a fact. Conjecture about going forward. The Eddie project I have heard like 10 versions of and based on the legal activity yeah up to something but just guessing on my part that it will be a book.

Was interesting EVH has been to Roths house and the 2013 writing was actually at 5150, neither of those things occurred previously. Its why I say the animosity is very hyped in public but in actuality no hatred but just 2 opposite views on how to do things.

Comment

• Northern Girl
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DaveTheScott
                                Dave said he was just telling them before they came out that after all the shit he's done musically and otherwise, he considers walking out on stage to play with the Halens the apex of his career, and his favorite place to be. Ed just kind of smiled at him, probably wondering what the fuck he was going to say next. Dave walked over, gave Ed a modified bro hug (Ed was sitting on the drum riser) and kissed Ed on the head.
                                Sounds like Dave is saying goodbye...

Comment

Working...