So HOW and WHEN do we...

...hear from Dave next?
    "Hey man, that suit is you!!"
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Dave Grohl's next birthday party?
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2007

Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Herro prease, Davey San move back to Japan to be Number One Rock Star! You find him on street eating ice cream and scaring old Japanese radies. Then he gonna fight Godzilla and make all of Japan safe again. Or he just run around in dumb old wrasslin' mask with his sidekick Thunderballz. Kinda hard to say.
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• cadaverdog
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Aug 2007

The next LGBT parade?
          Beware of Dog

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
            Head Fluffer
            • Dec 2008

Let's give Dave a few days rest until after his birthday, and then we can ask what's next. (Like hopefully a new album of original material and another on fire tour).
            I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

How..? Good question... Doubtful it would be through any of the channels Dave owned that we enjoyed since he returned to VH as all his social and internet business is long gone.

When..? Who the hell knows where Dave might turn up publicly...

Keep an eye out at tattoo parlors and dog shows...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Why would VH make a new album? No matter how good it is, or isn't, it won't sell. Sorry, that's the nature of the record business these days.

I don't care what anybody says, these shows appeared full, because a lot of them were papered. Or, at the very least, the tickets were put into a package deal, to move them. Yes, the bigger cities sold decent, but let's face it, a lot of these shows were filled as the result of giveaways/discounts.

Will this version of VH be willing to go out and play probably the only venues a promoter would be willing to book them in? Smaller venues? Would those fucking ego's allow that? Is there a promoter out there, that after this tour, would give VH the guarantee they've become accustomed to getting, to book shows in the size of venues it would take to pay back said guarantee?

Half or more of the people going to these shows had never seen Van Halen before. Half of them were kids of Van Halen fans, that mostly went so they could post on social media that they saw Van Halen, not realizing they saw a shell of what was once The Mighty Van Halen. Would most of those poeple be willing to pay to see that show again? I doubt it. Let's face it, for the most part, that is what they'll see should this band go out again. The same fucking show.

I'd pay $50 to go see this band in a 3,500 seat venue, but I'm not willing to pay $150 (and didn't) to go see them in a venue they frankly don't belong in, anymore.

I'll be surprised if this band ever does another show in its current form. That's just my opinion.

How would I like to hear from Dave next? I'd like to hear him announce he's releasing the John 5 disc. I'd like to hear he and John 5 are putting together a band, and they are going to go play some small venues. They could play some solo Dave, some new stuff, and whatever the fuck they felt like playing. Mix it up. Not some gay ass shit like the '94 (or whatever fucking year that was) fiasco, but a good solid setlist, performed straight forward, in a smaller venue. Would be a killer show.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I agree with what you suggested Dave should do... John 5 stuff with some supporting live performances would be a good start. But does Dave have the courage and motivation to attempt reentering the solo realm again..?

Would such a move mean the final end of Van Halen..? I'm not sure... but I feel like we've just observed the final chapter of the band working... seriously.

History has shown the VH Brothers don't care to let anyone venture out and remain in their band...

What of Ed & Al..? Where next..? Ed can hawk guitars, amps and striped bullshit... Al can go back to watching daytime TV... But are they done musically..?
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Angel
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Oh no, Von. No way any shows were papered. Just ask anyone at the links. They all use quotation marks around the word "papered" because they think I invented it...
                    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

I think wolfie has made his move by doing an album and possibly a tour ?? so I think we are watching the closing of the VH part of Daves career.
                      As for releasing the john 5 cd sounds great then he can tour it and we can slag off his singing, dancing, tattoo's, costumes , his gheyness , ticket sales, effort,inability to freeze time to 1981, his guns, his lack of guns, his penis pics,his love of mickey , his ambivalence to mickey , his love of thigh gap,his aliases and the fact he never ever not even once donated.

Just saying
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

What's next for Van Halen? I can answer that in two words:

Welcome Back!!

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Von points out some harsh realities that are hard to argue. Unless Dave becomes Benjamin Button and suddenly gets younger, it's hard to imagine this unit continuing with the same exuberance as they just pulled off, and as Von said, was only a "shell of what once was..."

I hope they find a way to all grow together rather than apart. Touring could be done with. Side projects could happen. TV appearances should happen. If no new music is in the band's future, they'd be fully to not find a way to capitalize on a tremendous retrospective of at least Beatles Anthology proportions. After being deep into the Van Halen Rising book, I can honestly say that this band is, if not the greatest American Rock band to exist, it is by far and away, the most important one. May their story only spread to more of the unknowing masses.

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
                            As for releasing the john 5 cd sounds great then he can tour it and we can slag off his singing, dancing, tattoo's, costumes , his gheyness , ticket sales, effort,inability to freeze time to 1981, his guns, his lack of guns, his penis pics,his love of mickey , his ambivalence to mickey , his love of thigh gap,his aliases and the fact he never ever not even once donated.

Just saying
                            Dave is the one most responsible for perpetuating all that.

If Dave gave up the fucking 80's rock star persona, and wanna be Liberace act, maybe we wouldn't be spewing all that bullshit. Maybe if he released the John 5 stuff, and they toured behind it in small venues without all the fake pomp and circumstance, he'd be taken more seriously.

Just saying.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

I think something that gets lost in the whole "papering"/groupon debate is that these people are still motivated to see VH live and are taking the time and making the effort to do so, regardless of ticket price. Yeah, they're getting the tickets at a discount, but they still have to deal with the typical concert hassles (parking, getting in and out of the venue, etc.) Why does this matter? Well, I'll use myself as an example. I wouldn't go see Whitesnake no matter if the tickets were free or at a discount because I don't give a fuck about seeing Whitesnake live, so I'm obviously not going to put forth the time and effort to see them. Maybe I'm a bad example, but I'm not going to put in the time and effort to see a band I'm marginally interested in just because the ticket is free or discounted.

Comment

Working...