Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Being bands can't get inducted until 25 years after the release of their first record, I sure hope most have heard about the band before they hit the HOF.

And being the Rock Hall is a half hour from here, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer and WMMS were all over bringing the HOF here in the early to mid 80's...yeah, I'm aware of it.

I think the intention started out good. Once Ahmet Ertegun died, Jann Wenner and Suzan Evans kind of took over the nomination process and a lot of people think they fucked everything up.

There's a guy on a local forum who, every year, gripes that late 60's/early 70's singer Melanie has not been considered for rock hall induction. He cites her charity work etc back when she was active, and there are always people who say yeah, back then that wasn't the rock and roll thing to do. Now you can't get artists to STFU about their pet causes, and their being socially aware is the thing to do.

The HOF induction committee and the actual HOF itself are two separate entities. Don't let the shit coming from the NYC based induction committee tarnish your opinion about the building and the people that run it.
    Well, if you live next door to something, you're bound to have heard of it.

Don't be a troll, Tuna!

Now, what I meant was, did the RNRHOF ever made anyone aware of any band that might've flown under their radar? I'd say it's a safe bet it never happened.

All I'm saying is, the RNRHOF needs the artists a lot more than the artists need the RNRHOF.

And I still stand by my opinion that the rock n' roll spirit doesn't give a damn about society norms and/or validation, either through official means or mainstream recognition.

Commercial recognition is something else entirely, of course. Everyone's in it for the money. Everyone. Even if it's just enough to make a living.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts

Blog Entries
    Right. And that's why Morse and Bolin aren't getting in. I'm sure Morse will be onstage if Purple decides to perform.
    Which I'd imagine could happen, because otherwise why would Purple's management essentially prohibit Blackmore from attending (the supposition being that were Blackmore to attend, it'd look silly for him to be sitting in the audience while the band w/ Morse on guitar play Smoke On The Water)?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Moreno View Post

Don't be a troll, Tuna!

Now, what I meant was, did the RNRHOF ever made anyone aware of any band that might've flown under their radar? I'd say it's a safe bet it never happened.

All I'm saying is, the RNRHOF needs the artists a lot more than the artists need the RNRHOF.

And I still stand by my opinion that the rock n' roll spirit doesn't give a damn about society norms and/or validation, either through official means or mainstream recognition.

Commercial recognition is something else entirely, of course. Everyone's in it for the money. Everyone. Even if it's just enough to make a living.
    In terms of how I listen to music (what I listen to, who I validate as a creative/powerful artist), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame figures not one iota into the scheme of things for me. Never has.

Perhaps because I'm old enough to have been around enjoying music before the place even existed, perhaps because I don't need to have someone else's stamp of approval in order for me to feel good about listening to something: "oooh, is this band in the rock and roll hall of fame? I hope so, otherwise they must not be any good!'

Have never been to the place. Have no plans to. Have been to a couple of Hard Rock establishments, and when I see, say, one of Jimi Hendrix's guitars under glass the only feeling I get is one of "so?"

Guitars were meant to be played. Bands are meant to be heard. A rock band being inducted into an institution isn't of any particular use to me one way or the other. It's just a bunch of industry insiders jacking each other off. Good for them. Eddie Trunk gets to eat the toast when they finish. Whoop-te-fuckin'-do!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Don't be a troll, Tuna!
    I was at the ribbon cutting ceremony in '95. Somewhere in this pic...

The air show was the same weekend. The governor was at the mic giving his speech and a Harrier landed at the Coast Guard station a little further down the lakefront. Drowned him out, it was great.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    In terms of how I listen to music (what I listen to, who I validate as a creative/powerful artist), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame figures not one iota into the scheme of things for me. Never has.
    Not to you or anyone. Ever.

Perhaps because I'm old enough to have been around enjoying music before the place even existed, perhaps because I don't need to have someone else's stamp of approval in order for me to feel good about listening to something: "oooh, is this band in the rock and roll hall of fame? I hope so, otherwise they must not be any good!'
    No one has ever said or even thought that. Absolutely no one.

Yet for some reason, people do want to see their favourite bands in there. Some even get upset when they don't. Why? It's all so stupid!

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was at the ribbon cutting ceremony in '95. Somewhere in this pic...

The air show was the same weekend. The governor was at the mic giving his speech and a Harrier landed at the Coast Guard station a little further down the lakefront. Drowned him out, it was great.

I think I spotted you to the left of the stage. You look so cute holding hands with that Mexican guy.

7. Thanked Anonymous for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-20-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Not to you or anyone. Ever.

No one has ever said or even thought that. Absolutely no one.

Yet for some reason, people do want to see their favourite bands in there. Some even get upset when they don't. Why? It's all so stupid!
    In 2007, I was bummed when Ed, Alex and Roth didn't show up to the induction not because I gave a shit about Hagar and Anthony being the only ones there representing the band, but because I wanted to see the Van Halens and Roth perform together. THAT is about the only point of interest for me with ANY of those induction ceremonies, that being who actually performs and what they play.

It'd be of SOME interest to me if Blackmore showed up and played with Deep Purple (not much, but some). It's of no interest to me if a Blackmoreless Purple perform, because that incarnation of the band has been doing that for 20 + years already.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    A Smiths reunion on stage for a reward alone would be worth the price of admission. I give it 40 seconds before they all start killing each other.
    I once read that Morrissey sacked The Smiths bass player, Mike Joyce (?), by leaving a note under the windscreen wiper of his car.

That's pretty rock'n'roll ...

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In 2007, I was bummed when Ed, Alex and Roth didn't show up to the induction not because I gave a shit about Hagar and Anthony being the only ones there representing the band, but because I wanted to see the Van Halens and Roth perform together. THAT is about the only point of interest for me with ANY of those induction ceremonies, that being who actually performs and what they play.

It'd be of SOME interest to me if Blackmore showed up and played with Deep Purple (not much, but some). It's of no interest to me if a Blackmoreless Purple perform, because that incarnation of the band has been doing that for 20 + years already.
    Somebody should make a list of people who never bothered showing up to accept their dubious award. The only ones I remember hearing about were:

2006 - Sex Pistols
    2007 - Van Halen

There must be others who have snubbed them ...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think I spotted you to the left of the stage. You look so cute holding hands with that Mexican guy.
    We hadn't seen the Mexican invasion yet. That didn't happen until the mid 2000's.

The street was closed behind us but we were not too far from the stage. If I would have stepped backwards I'd be going down the steps.

12. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Anonymous (02-21-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Somebody should make a list of people who never bothered showing up to accept their dubious award. The only ones I remember hearing about were:

2006 - Sex Pistols
    2007 - Van Halen

There must be others who have snubbed them ...
    With Van Halen, I think it wasn't so much the Van Halens snubbing the museum as they were snubbing Hagar and Anthony, and Ed was getting sent off to rehab around the time of the induction in advance of the 2007 reunion tour. Even if the Van Halens had decided to live and let live re: Hagar and Anthony, it was probably a smart move to keep Ed out of the public spotlight if he was still looking like the Cryptkeeper's brother after a 3 year Smoking Loon/meth binge (doubtless Irving Azoff realized that wouldn't exactly help secure high guarantees from promoters for the upcoming tour if Eddie showed up looked fucked up, deranged and unable to play well).
    Roth supposedly was willing to turn up to the induction and perform, but apparently he wanted to play Jump and Velvet Revolver were unwilling to learn the song...because I guess all they had bothered to somewhat learn were half-assed versions of ATBL and Runaround. I mean, heaven forbid one of the actual members of the band being inducted should choose what songs should be played and step on the toes of a 'supergroup' like Velvet Revolver. So, Roth passed on going. It's just as well Roth didn't bother to turn up when the Van Halens decided not to go: better to let 'The Other Half' go there and make asses out of themselves.

The Sex Pistols decided not to go as a direct 'fuck you' to the whole notion of the place. Lydon in particular was offended he should be expected to pay $10,000 a piece for tickets to purchase guest seats at tables for an institution he wasn't the least bit interested in being involved with anyway.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

DLR could have done Jump with the house band. Paul Shaffer and the rest of the band played it during commercial breaks on Letterman every now and then.

15. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-21-2016)

Thread Information