• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Blackmore won't be at the induction.

Ritchie was honored by the offer of induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He was discussing the possibility of attending, until we received correspondence from the President of the Rock Hall of Fame, who said that Bruce Payne, management for the current Deep Purple Touring Band, had said "No"..........!!!!!"
    Therefore Ritchie will not be attending the ceremony. He sincerely thanks all the fans that voted for him for their support.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

They better not let Gillan perform with the scabs then. They probably should just do like the Sex Pistols and all the relevant members of Van Halen did, and skip it altogether.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
        Blackmore won't be at the induction.
        Deep Purple being inducted into the RnRHoF, and Blackmore WON'T be at the induction...

Well, even though the decision seems to have originated with the current version of Purple's management, it seems beyond ridiculous. I mean, the nucleus of Purple's output that is being honored is that of the albums through Made In Japan, because it is THAT body of work that made Purple legendary in the first place.

I mean, Purple weren't voted in on the strength of, say, the Come Taste The Band album...or the records the band has released post-1993/The Battle Rages On...

When you think of Deep Purple's guitarist, are the first names that spring to mind Tommy Bolin and Steve Morse?

But considering the lameness of that 'institution' it somehow seems only fitting that Blackmore won't be there, regardless of who is to blame for the decision (I know the RnRHoF can't 'make' the current version of DP insist Blackmore attend).
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Maybe Morse before Bolin. Only because I used to subscribe to Musician magazine and I remember they did a cover story on Morse getting the Purple gig.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

A Smiths reunion on stage for a reward alone would be worth the price of admission. I give it 40 seconds before they all start killing each other.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Maybe Morse before Bolin. Only because I used to subscribe to Musician magazine and I remember they did a cover story on Morse getting the Purple gig.
              And nothing against Morse. He's a talented guitar player. The Dixie Dregs were great.

But Blackmore is the only Deep Purple guitarist who ever mattered, far as music created by the band that endures goes.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                A Smiths reunion on stage for a reward alone would be worth the price of admission. I give it 40 seconds before they all start killing each other.
                Mortississy is to busy writing cock euphemisms.
                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Anonymous
                  Banned
                  • May 2004

How many of you have heard about a band because it's in the "Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame"?

Conversely, how many of you have heard about the RNRHOF because of the bands that came to be in it?

This should put this institution's "importance" into perspective.

If I was a rock star, back when rock was great, I'd be dead. But I would've said in many interviews that trophies, awards & nominations are NOT rock n' roll, they are the antithesis of what rock n' roll is about - not giving a fuck against society standards & the need for validation - & if any fags of my band that managed to outlived me ever set foot on stage to get an award, the fans should pelt them with rotten groceries & piss on their lawn and/or front door.

The only thing Dave & Van Halen did right in the last ten years was not giving one single shit about their nomination.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Izzy Moreno
                    How many of you have heard about a band because it's in the "Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame"?

Conversely, how many of you have heard about the RNRHOF because of the bands that came to be in it?

This should put this institution's "importance" into perspective.
                    Being bands can't get inducted until 25 years after the release of their first record, I sure hope most have heard about the band before they hit the HOF.

And being the Rock Hall is a half hour from here, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer and WMMS were all over bringing the HOF here in the early to mid 80's...yeah, I'm aware of it.

I think the intention started out good. Once Ahmet Ertegun died, Jann Wenner and Suzan Evans kind of took over the nomination process and a lot of people think they fucked everything up.

If I was a rock star, back when rock was great, I'd be dead. But I would've said in many interviews that trophies, awards & nominations are NOT rock n' roll, they are the antithesis of what rock n' roll is about - not giving a fuck against society standards & the need for validation - & if any fags of my band that managed to outlived me ever set foot on stage to get an award, the fans should pelt them with rotten groceries & piss on their lawn and/or front door.

The only thing Dave & Van Halen did right in the last ten years was not giving one single shit about their nomination.
                    There's a guy on a local forum who, every year, gripes that late 60's/early 70's singer Melanie has not been considered for rock hall induction. He cites her charity work etc back when she was active, and there are always people who say yeah, back then that wasn't the rock and roll thing to do. Now you can't get artists to STFU about their pet causes, and their being socially aware is the thing to do.

The HOF induction committee and the actual HOF itself are two separate entities. Don't let the shit coming from the NYC based induction committee tarnish your opinion about the building and the people that run it.
                    Last edited by twonabomber; 02-20-2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      And nothing against Morse. He's a talented guitar player. The Dixie Dregs were great.

But Blackmore is the only Deep Purple guitarist who ever mattered, far as music created by the band that endures goes.
                      Right. And that's why Morse and Bolin aren't getting in. I'm sure Morse will be onstage if Purple decides to perform.

Comment

• Anonymous
                        Banned
                        • May 2004

Being bands can't get inducted until 25 years after the release of their first record, I sure hope most have heard about the band before they hit the HOF.

And being the Rock Hall is a half hour from here, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer and WMMS were all over bringing the HOF here in the early to mid 80's...yeah, I'm aware of it.

I think the intention started out good. Once Ahmet Ertegun died, Jann Wenner and Suzan Evans kind of took over the nomination process and a lot of people think they fucked everything up.

There's a guy on a local forum who, every year, gripes that late 60's/early 70's singer Melanie has not been considered for rock hall induction. He cites her charity work etc back when she was active, and there are always people who say yeah, back then that wasn't the rock and roll thing to do. Now you can't get artists to STFU about their pet causes, and their being socially aware is the thing to do.

The HOF induction committee and the actual HOF itself are two separate entities. Don't let the shit coming from the NYC based induction committee tarnish your opinion about the building and the people that run it.
                        Well, if you live next door to something, you're bound to have heard of it.

Don't be a troll, Tuna!

Now, what I meant was, did the RNRHOF ever made anyone aware of any band that might've flown under their radar? I'd say it's a safe bet it never happened.

All I'm saying is, the RNRHOF needs the artists a lot more than the artists need the RNRHOF.

And I still stand by my opinion that the rock n' roll spirit doesn't give a damn about society norms and/or validation, either through official means or mainstream recognition.

Commercial recognition is something else entirely, of course. Everyone's in it for the money. Everyone. Even if it's just enough to make a living.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Right. And that's why Morse and Bolin aren't getting in. I'm sure Morse will be onstage if Purple decides to perform.
                          Which I'd imagine could happen, because otherwise why would Purple's management essentially prohibit Blackmore from attending (the supposition being that were Blackmore to attend, it'd look silly for him to be sitting in the audience while the band w/ Morse on guitar play Smoke On The Water)?
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Don't be a troll, Tuna!

Now, what I meant was, did the RNRHOF ever made anyone aware of any band that might've flown under their radar? I'd say it's a safe bet it never happened.

All I'm saying is, the RNRHOF needs the artists a lot more than the artists need the RNRHOF.

And I still stand by my opinion that the rock n' roll spirit doesn't give a damn about society norms and/or validation, either through official means or mainstream recognition.

Commercial recognition is something else entirely, of course. Everyone's in it for the money. Everyone. Even if it's just enough to make a living.
                            In terms of how I listen to music (what I listen to, who I validate as a creative/powerful artist), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame figures not one iota into the scheme of things for me. Never has.

Perhaps because I'm old enough to have been around enjoying music before the place even existed, perhaps because I don't need to have someone else's stamp of approval in order for me to feel good about listening to something: "oooh, is this band in the rock and roll hall of fame? I hope so, otherwise they must not be any good!'

Have never been to the place. Have no plans to. Have been to a couple of Hard Rock establishments, and when I see, say, one of Jimi Hendrix's guitars under glass the only feeling I get is one of "so?"

Guitars were meant to be played. Bands are meant to be heard. A rock band being inducted into an institution isn't of any particular use to me one way or the other. It's just a bunch of industry insiders jacking each other off. Good for them. Eddie Trunk gets to eat the toast when they finish. Whoop-te-fuckin'-do!
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Don't be a troll, Tuna!
                              I was at the ribbon cutting ceremony in '95. Somewhere in this pic...

The air show was the same weekend. The governor was at the mic giving his speech and a Harrier landed at the Coast Guard station a little further down the lakefront. Drowned him out, it was great.

Comment

• Anonymous
                                Banned
                                • May 2004

In terms of how I listen to music (what I listen to, who I validate as a creative/powerful artist), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame figures not one iota into the scheme of things for me. Never has.
                                Not to you or anyone. Ever.

Perhaps because I'm old enough to have been around enjoying music before the place even existed, perhaps because I don't need to have someone else's stamp of approval in order for me to feel good about listening to something: "oooh, is this band in the rock and roll hall of fame? I hope so, otherwise they must not be any good!'
                                No one has ever said or even thought that. Absolutely no one.

Yet for some reason, people do want to see their favourite bands in there. Some even get upset when they don't. Why? It's all so stupid!

Comment

Working...