Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Bette - 'If I Joined Van Halen Right Now, I'd Feel Like a Hypocrite'

This guy is just one soundbite after another....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...crite-20151008

Sammy Hagar: 'If I Joined Van Halen Right Now, I'd Feel Like a Hypocrite'

The Red Rocker also talks about Donald Trump and why he hopes to make peace with Eddie Van Halen before he dies

BY ANDY GREENE October 8, 2015

"The only Number One albums they've had in their life, and they want to pretend like they never happened," says Sammy Hagar of his Van Halen tenure.

Last week we got Sammy Hagar on the phone to talk about his new cookbook and his upcoming plans for Chickenfoot and the Circle, but we'd be highly negligent if we let him go without getting into the endless Van Halen saga yet again. We also got his take on Donald Trump and the upcoming presidential election. He didn't disappoint, proving once again why he's up there with Noel Gallagher as one of the great interviews in rock.

Hey, Sammy. Good to talk to you again.

You're not going to trick me into saying something stupid and putting my foot in my mouth again, are you?

Actually, that's exactly my plan. I'm just going to be upfront about it this time.

You seem to always squeeze something out of me. I get off and say, "Dammit, I gotta be smarter than that in the future!" But I just can't.

Let's get into it ... You played some Van Halen songs on Live From Daryl's House earlier this year. What happened next?

[Laughs] There you go, Andy. You got the fuckin' pick and shovel out now. Well, there is no question about it, I'd like this to be known, the Van Halen brothers will not allow me to do any of my own songs on TV. They can't stop me from doing them live, because they've tried and they can't. They want to pretend like Van Hagar never existed. The only Number One albums they've had in their life, and they want to pretend like they never happened. I don't know why they hate me so bad, but I guess I'm too happy for them.

Yes, it's true. They wouldn't let me do them. I can hire an attorney and fight them and I'm going too, but I didn't have time to do that then. On the new Circle DVD we're making from the live album, Led Zeppelin agreed to let us use their music. And Van Halen said, "No." And then I said, "Fuck you." I don't need to do this to survive, and thank God, because otherwise, they would starve me out like I think they're trying to do.

It's the lowest, cheesiest thing ever. I wrote every lyric and every melody and I sang them in that band. Alex Van Halen played the fucking drums and Michael Anthony played bass, and I wrote music and lyrics. When you're singing "Right Now" or "Why Can't This Be Love," that's my music. I wrote all the lyrics. "When you're singing 'Right Now' or 'Why Can't This Be Love,' that's my music," says Sammy Hagar.

To be clear, they told you that you couldn't put their music on a DVD too?

Yeah, it's going to happen, though. It just becomes a legal mess. Also, in my book I wanted to run some lyrics from the [Van Halen song] "Cabo Wabo." They wouldn't let me use one verse, in my fucking book, of my own lyrics. They fought it, and I didn't have time to fight back since they did it at the 11th hour 'cause they're assholes. It's unbelievable that Led Zeppelin lets us cover their songs on TV and anywhere else, and the brothers won't let me sing my fucking songs. And why? 'Cause they can't do them anymore. Without me, they can't play those songs, and they're fucking jealous. And that's the thing that gives me comic relief out of the whole thing.

How exactly did they try and stop you from even doing them live? That's insane.

When you play live, you turn your set list into ASCAP or whatever organization pays for it. When they saw that, somebody wrote a letter to my publishers or had a guy make a call asking if we'd stop playing those songs live. The answer was, "No."

Any cover band in a bar can play whatever they want, so certainly the guy that wrote the song...

Exactly. Wait a minute, they have licensed the songs to cover bands, but they won't allow me to do them. You ever watch that show on AXS, The World's Greatest Tribute Bands? There was a Van Halen tribute band that plays a little of mine and a little bit of theirs. They clear it for them, but not the guy who wrote that shit. It's just stupid.

See, you got me. You really got me, because this is my soft spot; you found the chink in my armor. I gotta tell you, it's maybe the stupidest, lamest thing I've ever seen in this business.

You're fighting back though. You put that video on YouTube when Eddie trashed Michael Anthony's bass playing.

It's obvious the fans want Mikey back in Van Halen, before anyone. If it's gonna be Dave or me, it doesn't matter in this sense. The main thing they want is Mikey back in the band. God bless Wolfie. It's got to be frustrating. But Eddie's just trying to stick up for his kid and to justify that he has him playing bass. He shouldn't have to justify that. He wants Wolfie in the band, that's fine. But you don't have to bash Mikey to make it okay. Mikey is the wrong guy to bash. He wouldn't stand up for himself in a million years. That's not because he's chickenshit. It's because he's just such nice person.

Van Halen's summer tour has been soft in some markets. It sort of feels like people are losing interesting in seeing this lineup.

I can only speculate on what I've seen on YouTube, things people send me now and then. My buddies are always saying, "Hey, check this out." And you turn it on and say, "Oh, fuck, not this again." I don't go looking for none of that stuff. You know, of course, I heard some of the live album. There's just no chemistry up there. They don't like each other. I mean, it's obvious. It's like a backup band with a guy out there in front.

I bet they don't say five words to each other offstage. What I saw was just so chemistry-less. Van Halen was always about chemistry in the early days. Early, Dave, that band was all about fucking chemistry, man. They were on fire. When I joined the band, they had great musical chemistry. We were friends, and we were on fire. We had so much fun, it should have been illegal. Now all that's gone.

Do you ever think you'll ever speak to Eddie again?

I would hope so. Because that would be really sad if any one of us — I'll put myself in the same category — took this to our graves. That is not where you take things. I would rather go to my grave with no enemies left. I just don't think that would feel right. But who knows. Whatever. It's not my decision because I was the one they pushed out and tried to fuck over. To me, it's up to them to come back and say they're sorry.

I'm not sorry for anything. I didn't do anything. Matter of fact, I did everything for that band. It was 100 percent my heart and soul and the best I had to give. All I did was make Number One albums and a lot of money. That's all I ever did for the band. Anything that's been done has all been in anger towards myself and now Mikey, too. To me, they need to come and say, "We're sorry." And then our job would be to say, "Great, you're forgiven." Boom. Not for a reunion or anything like that. That's over, to me. That's completely fucking over. I wouldn't want to be in a band like that right now.

I'd feel like a hypocrite for joining that band. How about that? There's a good quote for you. If I joined Van Halen right now, I'd feel like the biggest hypocrite in the world. And I'm not a hypocrite.

The Beach Boys reunited a few years ago, and they absolutely hated each other.

They needed the money, probably, or they wanted the money. Even if they didn't need the money, they wanted the money.

Any thoughts on Donald Trump?

[Laughs] Oh, boy, that's the touchiest thing I've ever seen in my life because I like the fact that he's shaken up the political world, which needed to be shaken up. Everyone has been so dishonest. The politically correct thing is about to drive me out of this country. You can't do anything or someone's going to sue you. You can't say anything or an organization comes down and blackballs you. You can't talk about any race on the planet and call them by any name that's even close to sounding like you're a racist, even if you're not. You just get dogged and blackballed.

I love the fact that Trump is saying, "Fuck all you people" and just beating them up and talking shit and busting their balls. I like that part of it. But I'm not sure that's the man I want as my next president. But maybe we need somebody that radical.

Do you see a scenario where you'd vote for him over Hillary Clinton?

Oh, fuck, that's a tough one. I've got nothing against Hillary, to be honest with you. And what they're crucifying her for is just total bullshit. It's just like everything else. I mean, come on. She erased some emails or something. I know it's not good for security and all that, but I'm not a political kind of guy. So I'm going, "Hey, you all think the president of the United States — Obama or Reagan or anybody — never fucked up?" They all fucked up! Clinton, look what he did in there! They're human beings.

I just wish Trump wouldn't be so tough on Mexicans or the rest of the Hispanic population. From my judgement of living in Mexico and having businesses down there, they are family- and God-loving people. There's bad seeds in every single race on this planet, but the Hispanic population comes to this country because they want to work. They want to better their lives and feed their children.

And Trump says they're rapists.

That is insanity. That I have a real hard time with because I know different. But I'm sure there are people who have done everything. But if you want to take each race, and someone needs to do a survey and say, "How many did this? How many did this? How many did this?" I doubt if you'd find the Hispanics are the guilty ones on this planet or in this country. Every Hispanic I know that works for me, both in Mexico and in America, are my favorite employees, the hardest-working guys, the hardest-working ladies. They are just good people, and they carry their babies on their shoulder and go to work. They're just good people; they're not abandoning their kids and shit. That bothers me. If Trump would leave Hispanics alone, he could probably be president of the United States.

There's my Trump answer. Did I field that one how you wanted?

Yeah, that was great. I think that should do it. Thanks so much for doing this. You always come through.

Okay. Sell some books for me, will you? And peace and love. Always fun talking to you.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Good Lord...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Hope the kinks take legal action for him saying " you really got me".

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Christ. Again with the #1 albums stuff. Is that all the guy can hang his hat on from his time in VH? I wish somebody, just once, in print or on video, would point out to him that the combined sales of VH1 and 1984 exceed the total sales of the entire studio catalog of his time in the band. And, this was after he slid in to a band that was already well established and huge at the time. I also don't believe him at all about not wanting to be in VH again. I'm sure he'd much rather be on stage listening to Vic butcher Poundcake than be on stage with the guy who wrote the song and can actually play it!

5. 3 users say thank you to chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2015),FORD (10-08-2015),Von Halen (10-08-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

I still can't believe the "I did nothing wrong" "they owe me an apology" bit. Has he read his book? He shit all over both Ed and Al. Ah fuck that guy.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Ah geez, that never gets old.

And I never get tired of Slappy ripping on Ed. Ed's a miserable old cunt. I bet his little dog tries to jump the fence at least twice a day.

One thing's for certain - the day Dave is outta that band...Sam's phone is gonna be ringing off the hook. He'll get his apology right before he signs the tour contract.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It's pretty obvious Sammy told the interviewer to ask the questions he did which really makes him look like a loser considering how many other songs he's written and or performed over the years. None of the songs he did with Van Hagar are really rock classic compared to the songs he did with Montrose. Some of his solo songs are fairly popular too outside of this place. He's got a whole catalog of songs he didn't do with Van Hagar. Let it go Sammy, those songs aren't that good anyway.

9. 3 users say thank you to cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2015),DavidLeeNatra (10-09-2015),Jetstream (10-09-2015)

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

I skimmed over the obvious Van Halen questions, because who the fuck cares about Van Halen & I must say, I agree with his view on Trump, Politics & especially the completely ridiculous Political Correctness that the US has unleashed upon the world.

Gee, thanks America.

Stuff your fucking guilt up your ass & leave the rest of the world alone, jackoffs.

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I find it entertaining that he called the band Van Hagar - clearly he doesn't understand that those who use that term are making a derogatory statement.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

All HE did was make number one albums. LOL !!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLS5 View Post
    I find it entertaining that he called the band Van Hagar - clearly he doesn't understand that those who use that term are making a derogatory statement.
    He probably wished they would have changed their band name to that. To be honest, I wish they did, or something else. It sure as hell wasn't Van Halen anymore.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    This guy is just one soundbite after another....
    The only Number One albums they've had in their life, and they want to pretend like they never happened.
    We all do...

15. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (10-10-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    He probably wished they would have changed their band name to that. To be honest, I wish they did, or something else. It sure as hell wasn't Van Halen anymore.
    And it ain't now. But it damn sure is more Van Halen than it was when Sam was out front.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    We all do...
    Oh man, if they had it would just be one more thing for Slappy to brag about. "They changed the name of the damn band when I joined! I ran that band, wrote all the music, hell I played drums and guitar on every record! Ed and Al didn't want to get involved so me and Mikey just wrote all of it and played every instrument. I even packaged every damn CD! And now those guys don't want me to play MY songs live?? Fuck them. I hate those guys and I wouldn't join that band again even if you put a gun to my - Wait, I'm sorry for the interruption. Hang on just a minute.

Yeah. Yeah, ok. No shit? Really? You're sure? Hell YES I'm up for a reunion! Nah man, I swear that hypocrite comment was just for the press. Nah I don't really feel like that. Hang on a minute.

Hey thanks for the interview but I gotta go. I gotta take this other call right now..."

18. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (10-10-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

You notice he says he wrote all the 'lyrics' not the songs.

Ed wrote the music and that AOR guy Mick Jones from Foreigner replaced Dave writing the vocal melodies.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

I found the article on RS' Facebook page but didn't have time to post a comment. Fuck that writer for asking those questions.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Id rather watch Portnoy do name that tune instead of another word from dickhead

22. 2 users say thank you to Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2015),vandeleur (10-11-2015)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Oh man, if they had it would just be one more thing for Slappy to brag about. "They changed the name of the damn band when I joined! I ran that band, wrote all the music, hell I played drums and guitar on every record!
    Did you build this place too?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2017 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If ever , for ANY reason , Sammy Hagar rejoined that band I would immediately turn my back on them and ALL things Van Halen for-fucking-ever . Count on it !

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Unholy shit.....

Watching the football game on the NF-Hell Network, and Bette is playing the halftime show. Thank all that's unholy they aren't actually showing it on camera, but you can hear him in the background, and he sounds like complete dragonshit.

Whatever the worst moments were on that recent Van Halen live album..... are 666 times better than what I just heard coming out of SF. Hagar's voice has descended into Roger Daltrey levels of "horrible".

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Hagar's voice has descended into Roger Daltrey levels of "horrible".
    Something like this?

You better get your hearing aid checked old man. Daltrey sounds way better than he should here.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah , Daltrey has lost a bit but its harsh to mention him in the same sentence as hagar.

Wow weird

28. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-23-2015)

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Something like this?

You better get your hearing aid checked old man. Daltrey sounds way better than he should here.
    Listen to that godawful croaking in Baba O'Riley again and then tell me that.

Soiunds like a female dragon in heat, being raped.

How horrible was that performance? Well, the Super Bowl hasn't had any actual live musicians since then. Just lip syncing and autotuned bubblegum acts.

Thanks for that, Roger.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Its not vintage daltrey but its not hagar .... for fucks sake .

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I went to a screening of tommy recently, he did a talk afterwards and he was cool as fuck so I cut him some slack.
    Hagar sounds like a goose farting in the fog and is a cunt so no slack given

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd never say anything bad about Daltrey in his prime, but you should have heard what Moon & Entwistle said about that Super Bowl perfomance. I was way too kind, compared to them.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd never say anything bad about Daltrey in his prime, but you should have heard what Moon & Entwistle said about that Super Bowl perfomance. I was way too kind, compared to them.
    Please remind Keith of some of his later drunk performances , roger stayed conscious through the whole super bowl performance

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Its not vintage daltrey but its not hagar .... for fucks sake .
    If I had paid to see that performance I would have been fine with it. Once Ford says something no matter how wrong he is he sticks with it.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Listen to that godawful croaking in Baba O'Riley again and then tell me that.

Soiunds like a female dragon in heat, being raped.
    Wasn't aware there was an I in sounds. If anything the intro to Who Are You was a bit rough but otherwise I think Daltrey sounded like Daltrey.

Thread Information