Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go Fuck Yourself Hollywood

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Go Fuck Yourself Hollywood

The whole fucking point of the first Die Hard movie is that he's a normal run of the mill guy. If this abortion of a prequel idea by the maker of the worst sequel in a series of increasingly bad sequels is not just some guy doing routine police work then it will be so shitty it will make the original one worse.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Probably from the same guy who brought you framing, Sesh.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    The whole fucking point of the first Die Hard movie is that he's a normal run of the mill guy. If this abortion of a prequel idea by the maker of the worst sequel in a series of increasingly bad sequels is not just some guy doing routine police work then it will be so shitty it will make the original one worse.
    I thought the exact same thing. Right down to Hollywood fucking its self.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't see shit. I just tried two phones a PC and a couple week old laptop and I can't see shit.

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't pay for that rehashed shit. Download it later.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The whole fucking point of the first Die Hard movie is that he's a normal run of the mill guy.
    A normal run of the mill guy who just happens to be proficient with automatic weapons and can out perform Batman with his acrobatic skills. He's also impervious to pain and can lose gallons of blood without feeling the least bit light headed. The only thing he can't do is keep shoes on his feet.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The whole fucking point of the first Die Hard movie is that he's a normal run of the mill guy.
    That's how they ruined the Rambo movies. In the original movie, First Blood, he was a genuine human being who had the same problems a lot of Vietnam vets did fitting back into "normal" society, and not helped by a brainless redneck sherriff pissing him off.

Then they turned him into some Reagan era right wing cartoon hero.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    That's how they ruined the Rambo movies. In the original movie, First Blood, he was a genuine human being who had the same problems a lot of Vietnam vets did fitting back into "normal" society, and not helped by a brainless redneck sherriff pissing him off.
    The second Rambo wasn't too bad but they got real stupid after that. Whether or not you believe it's possible MIAs were being held after the war in Viet Nam it was fairly entertaining. Missing In Action came out first but the story that became First Blood Part II was being shopped around to find investors before that and a lot of people think the people who put out Missing In Action ripped that story off from the First Blood people. I think both movies ripped off Uncommon Valor which came out before either one of the other two. Uncommon Valor was the most believable of the the three too.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rambo was a bad ass and every movie was great! Even the one where he went and fought alongside the Talicong in Afghanistan. Plus he had an awesome tan.

Last edited by DONNIEP; 10-17-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Re load, Re-load and Re-load.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Rambo was a bad ass and every movie was great! Even the one where he went and fought alongside the Talicong in Afghanistan. Plus he had an awesome tan.

He was a bad ass but the last couple Rambo movies sucked. I did like the ending of the last one where Rambo finally went home though. The next Rambo supposedly starts out there. Maybe Rambo goes off again after he's treated roughly during a colonoscopy at a VA hospital

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fags!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fags!
    This isn't Match.com. Look for dates elsewhere homo boy.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, somebody has a hard-on for Bruce Willis.

I've been trying to remember all the movies that really stuck with me so I could show my nieces some quality crap. I wasn't too surprised when I realised at least 90% of them were before the mid-90s.

I recently read a piece by Neil Gaiman where he complains that people are reading less and less fiction, and he posits that if people don't read fiction, they won't have any imagination.

Well, it seems Hollywood hasn't put out anything memorable since the mid-90s. I'd say Neilster is right on the money. Don't forget that the mid-90s was when everyone started taking themselves oh-so-seriously, moping around miserably all day, brooding.

I blame Kurt Cobain, like always.

Anyway, this thread reads like you were throwing a tantrum & crying tears of helpless rage, like a little girl that can't have her way.

Were you?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was maybe a bit over the top but sometimes these remakes or prequels piss me off because they seem like an attack on the original movies.

Of course the way to deal with them is to just ignore them.

Like you I've been going through the 70s and 80s looking for good movies to share with kids so that at one point they were asking why films were so much better back then. I explained that wasn't really the case and that for every one I showed them there were 50 crappy ones they didn't need to see.

Sometimes the politics are jarring for example the violence of old James Bond movies isn't a problem but him being a sexist rapist is more of an issue.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Then they turned him into some Reagan era right wing cartoon hero.
    I have to agree that First Blood was one helluva movie & Stallone's soliloquy near the end shows that he had the potential to be a genuinely good actor before being turned into a living cartoon character.

Rocky was also a very good movie. The sequels... some were passable. And each & every one of them completely unnecessary.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like you I've been going through the 70s and 80s looking for good movies to share with kids so that at one point they were asking why films were so much better back then. I explained that wasn't really the case and that for every one I showed them there were 50 crappy ones they didn't need to see.
    I figure that as well, but it's just not the case any more. There simply isn't anything as memorable past the mid-90s.

It's the same with music. Nobody in the 70s gave a shit about Elvis Presley anymore. Elvis! Why? Because they had all these new bands to listen to! Same in the 80s - who gave a fuck about Black Sabbath or Deep Purple apart from other musicians? No one.

But these days, kids have to go back & listen to these old bands, because they have nothing else. After countless generations, old people are FINALLY right.

Things WERE better back then, at least when it comes to entertainment.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's an exercise... name a movie that made as much of an impact as Jurassic Park, AFTER Jurassic Park.

I say it was the last big movie. It's been flavour of the week, or at best, month, ever since.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jurassic Park was 1993 and was a big deal at the time.

Since then I could name you a lot of great movies but if you are talking about cultural massive rather than just great artistically then for a start you have all that shitty stuff I haven't even watched all of like Transformers and Avatar. Titanic was 1997 and super massive.

You have also forgotten the Harry Potter franchise, The Lord Of The Rings, Skyfall, Avengers movies and Pirates of the Caribbean. I've watched few of these but they have had a massive impact.

If you look at the top 20 box office movies, your Jurassic Park thing comes in at #19.

I think you may be talking shit...

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jurassic Park was 1993 and was a big deal at the time.

Since then I could name you a lot of great movies but if you are talking about cultural massive rather than just great artistically then for a start you have all that shitty stuff I haven't even watched all of like Transformers and Avatar. Titanic was 1997 and super massive.

You have also forgotten the Harry Potter franchise, The Lord Of The Rings, Skyfall, Avengers movies and Pirates of the Caribbean. I've watched few of these but they have had a massive impact.

If you look at the top 20 box office movies, your Jurassic Park thing comes in at #19.

I think you may be talking shit...
    Well, most people still remember/know about Jurassic Park. I'm not saying it's my favourite movie, far from it.

Most of those other films you've mentioned have been forgotten by the masses, or will be in the near future. They had impact when they came out, yes, but it wasn't lasting impact - it was flavour of the week. Who the fuck remembers Harry Potter any more?

I will give you Pirates of the Caribbean. But just barely.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I fell asleep during the first Pirates film and apparently it was the best one.

I think you are maybe biased by age like all of us. I've never seen a Harry Potter film or read a book but I bet millions of that generation could quote you back the whole script.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imapus Sylicker View Post
    Here's an exercise... name a movie that made as much of an impact as Jurassic Park, AFTER Jurassic Park.

I say it was the last big movie. It's been flavour of the week, or at best, month, ever since.
    Forrest Gump.

"How's it feel, old man?"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What about Shawshank Redemption or Pulp Fiction, in 1994-95.

As for Titanic, I cannot get over the fact that the American Film Institute in revising it's '100 Greatest Films of All Time' list in 2007 bothered to put that nauseating one in there!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You lost me at exercise
    fuck your fucking framing

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I throw in iron man , it kind of started the marvel money machine. Avengers , Thor , ant man. Etc

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Forrest Gump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What about Shawshank Redemption or Pulp Fiction, in 1994-95.

As for Titanic, I cannot get over the fact that the American Film Institute in revising it's '100 Greatest Films of All Time' list in 2007 bothered to put that nauseating one in there!!
    My bad. I thought those three came out before Jurassic Park.

Apparently I should do my research better, or just do it, before I pull "facts" out of my ass.

It's STILL the mid-90s, so I guess I didn't make a *complete* fool of myself.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I fell asleep during the first Pirates film and apparently it was the best one.

I think you are maybe biased by age like all of us. I've never seen a Harry Potter film or read a book but I bet millions of that generation could quote you back the whole script.
    It has nothing to do with being the best one. Blade Runner apparently sucked when it came out.

What I was trying to get at, is a movie that was huge, or at least successful when it came out AND made its way into the collective conscience afterwards.

Listen, I love Lord of the Rings, for fuck's sake. I read the books long ago, I even have a lifetime account on Lord of the Rings Online. I remember quite vividly when the movies came out. It was a big deal, but they have since faded away from memory.

Now, before Philouze calls me Vanessa again, my point is that it's more likely for Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction and/or Jurassic Park to come up in conversation than Titanic, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

And of course I'm biased by age. I *try* not to be, but it's unavoidable. All our perceptions are based on our impressions, and the older we get, teh least impressionable we are.

I still stand by my point that after the mid-90s, culture & entertainment went to shit & Kurt Cobain is to blame for all of it.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    I throw in iron man , it kind of started the marvel money machine. Avengers , Thor , ant man. Etc
    Fads. Flavour of the week films.

Nobody remembers Iron Man any more. The Marvel Money Machine, as you so aptly named it, will run its course and be forgotten.

Just like the series & movies of the late 60s/early 70s. The difference being, the old stuff was so bad it had some charm. These are just huge corporate advertisements.

Maybe 30 years from now, nerds & geeks all over the world will unearth these movies again & wax nostalgic, but most people won't give a fuck.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Most of this thread seems to be more about your short term memory problems than movies.

Did you know that apparently the latest Jurassic film made more money than the original?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did you know that apparently the latest Jurassic film made more money than the original?
    Yeah hippie, it's called CGI.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A stupid story relating to die hard .
    I have on occasion mentioned I work with a crazy crazy man who says crazy crazy things . If he meant them or was saying it for effect he would be a comedy genius of .... Insert name ... Standing.

So on night shift he is telling us this story of watching a programme about hitlers architect who didn't get "done" after the war ( Albert Speer ) so he tells us he wAs a famous ss officer and was released after the war.
    We argued he wasn't an ss officer and also wasn't called ... Hans gruber as he claimed.
    Much arguing and and discussion ensued until we googled to find hans gruber was the die hard Alan richman baddy.
    Oh yeah he said that was on recently as well

At this point Alan richman as the sherif of Nottingham is hitler as well , in my mind .

Oh this is from the guy who said that answer to hitlers favourite movie was " shindlers list".

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Most of this thread seems to be more about your short term memory problems than movies.

Nah, it's more about you knowing I'm right, but trying to prove me wrong just on principle.

You said it yourself, that when the time comes to show movies to your kids, you go back to the 70s/80s.

And don't pull out the "well, that's the ones I know about" card. You know more about recent films than I do.

Check. Your move.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh this is from the guy who said that answer to hitlers favourite movie was " shindlers list".
    And you say this guy doesn't say these things on purpose?

Steal his material and become a famous stand-up comedian. I bet he won't notice.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ima we have a wonderful world of I will put on here on day

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm gonna put you out of your misery, Sesh. Please don't hate me.

You mentioned:

Transformers - 80s cartoon, designed to sell toys.

Avatar - Reputedly had been in Cameron's mind for quite a long time, possibly as far as the 80s, a filmmaker that rose to prominence before 1995.

The Lord Of The Rings - Many adaptations were tried in the 70s, none a huge success, but still an old, old idea that has been copied to death.

Skyfall - Are you saying James Bond is an original 21st century idea?

Avengers/Marvel movies - Many adaptations were tried in the 70s, none a huge success, but still an old, old idea that has been copied to death. By Marvel itself.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Old Disney ride. Had been adapted into a video game in 1990 by Ron Gilbert, working for Lucasfilm at the time. Many similarities with the game, allegedly not a coincidence.

Created before 1995. Which has been my point all along. No new ideas since the mid-90s. Kindly re-read all my posts.

You have also forgotten the Harry Potter franchise
    Arguably the only original idea out of everything you mentioned. I'll admit I'm biased & I try to ignore it based on prejudice. The idea that one day it might be mentioned in the same breath as Lord of the Rings terrifies me. Probably happens already. *whimper*

Check. And Mate.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ima we have a wonderful world of I will put on here on day
    Yes.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We saved all his quotes in a " wonderful world document"

A lad he drinks with has had more birds than an aquarium

And his black book of girls phone numbers is like obituary of sex

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To name a couple

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why oh WHY does there need to be another Pirate's movie?

You can milk a franchise success for only so long till the point where it collapses and becomes a parody of itself. Disney (along with their other usual filth like Frozen) seem to have no problem with this. Now we're going to have 5th Pirate's movie from the original "trilogy"?

Hollywood had been out of doing anything original since 1977. Jaws and Star Wars being the swan song of entertainment. Not like those movies are being hacked and sold to the heap of Hollywood CGI shitbowl of...um...shit.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Why oh WHY does there need to be another Pirate's movie?

You can milk a franchise success for only so long till the point where it collapses and becomes a parody of itself. Disney (along with their other usual filth like Frozen) seem to have no problem with this. Now we're going to have 5th Pirate's movie from the original "trilogy"?

Hollywood had been out of doing anything original since 1977. Jaws and Star Wars being the swan song of entertainment. Not like those movies are being hacked and sold to the heap of Hollywood CGI shitbowl of...um...shit.
    Yeah, the first two were good, but the third was very, very bad. I liked the first two Pirates enough to also buy the DVD of the third movie, but I thought that would be it.

Haven't watched fourth, or have any interest in it. I had no idea they were still going. That sucks. Hard.

Thread Information