Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will we get a new album from Van Halen?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    or corn-on-the-cob...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Or the meat and potatoes
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Jetstream for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-18-2015)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I dunno.

ADKOT did, what...1/2 million worldwide? And that album had a pretty decent promotional push, too. Have no idea what the Tokyo Dome release ended up selling, but it had a decent amount of ad space devoted to a promo push for that as well.

Would it even be worth the bother for the band to do another album? They seemed to be able to sell concert tickets well enough this year without one.

I suppose I'd be interested in hearing what the band could come up with, but I think there's more than a little truth to what Ed said, in that people coming to VH shows now couldn't really care less if new material is played: they want to hear the classics. I suppose the band could do another album and perhaps attempt to delude themselves into thinking they are a viable creative unit, but they know which part of the VH catalog butters their bread.
    I read an interview with with none other than the Samburglar and he talked about the motivation (or lack thereof) to put out a new Chickenfoot album. Granted, Chicken Coup isn't even selling at a VH level, but the thought process still applies imo. Basically, he said it wasn't worth the effort to write, record and generally put in all the effort required to put out a new cd and have it sell like 35,000 copies (his number).

So, I can see why VH wouldn't want to put out a new album. That said, if they aren't willing to put out a new cd, they should at least be willing to open the god damn vaults and start putting that stuff out. This is VH though, so the most likely scenario is nothing. Bask and revel in the nothingness, fuckers!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    I read an interview with with none other than the Samburglar and he talked about the motivation (or lack thereof) to put out a new Chickenfoot album. Granted, Chicken Coup isn't even selling at a VH level, but the thought process still applies imo. Basically, he said it wasn't worth the effort to write, record and generally put in all the effort required to put out a new cd and have it sell like 35,000 copies (his number).

So, I can see why VH wouldn't want to put out a new album. That said, if they aren't willing to put out a new cd, they should at least be willing to open the god damn vaults and start putting that stuff out. This is VH though, so the most likely scenario is nothing. Bask and revel in the nothingness, fuckers!!
    I mean, I can understand a lack of willingness to put out new material if the mindset is it will only sell so many copies. It seems like the band still has an analog mentality to how records are sold vs. the digital reality of the business these days. However, the band haven't had any multi-million selling releases in closing on 20 years now. The three albums they have put out since BOV1 have sold close to a million each worldwide. Granted, the 2 albums of original material on those 3 releases were far from the best the band had to offer historically speaking (ADKOT overall was an average effort at best - in some ways better than I thought the band would be capable of and it did have a few tracks that still resonate for me, but if I saw the band live now and they didn't play anything from the album I wouldn't feel cheated in the least), and the other one was (yet another) greatest hits package.

It's still a mystery to me as to why the band hasn't taken advantage of all the officially unreleased CVH live video and even the old CVH promos from the pre-1984 era (including clips from various foreign tv shows when they went up and lip-synched). The 6-pack keeps getting periodically re-issued with nothing but the original studio content. The band since 2007 has toured with Roth leaning on setlists that are virtually nothing other than CVH material. They are a nostalgia act now.

Is it that the band doesn't want to have official releases of the old CVH live shows because it will be another reminder of Anthony no longer being in the group? Somehow this will spare Wolfgang feeling uncomfortable? I dunno. Seems a silly line of reasoning if that is the case. Is it that the band doesn't want to remind people of what the band once was as opposed to what they are today? Is it that there are legal complications of ownership regarding the old live performances...maybe many of the old production companies that shot the footage are now defunct and the footage is in limbo re: ownership and how that is applied to present-day distribution? Does WB own the rights to manufacture and distribute the footage? Are the Van Halens still pissed off at WB for dropping them 15 years ago, and don't want a nickel of that stuff going in WBs pockets?

Who the fuck knows? All I can say is that many bootleggers and bootlegging outlets with minimal scruples have made plenty of money selling these shows for years, and it's seemingly bad business practice for the band to forgo whatever profits their contract residuals with WB would entitle them to by not getting these shows restored and made available for public consumption. Assuming the band actually still has a degree of legal and creative control over the release of said material.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I mean, I can understand a lack of willingness to put out new material if the mindset is it will only sell so many copies. It seems like the band still has an analog mentality to how records are sold vs. the digital reality of the business these days. However, the band haven't had any multi-million selling releases in closing on 20 years now. The three albums they have put out since BOV1 have sold close to a million each worldwide. Granted, the 2 albums of original material on those 3 releases were far from the best the band had to offer historically speaking (ADKOT overall was an average effort at best - in some ways better than I thought the band would be capable of and it did have a few tracks that still resonate for me, but if I saw the band live now and they didn't play anything from the album I wouldn't feel cheated in the least), and the other one was (yet another) greatest hits package.

It's still a mystery to me as to why the band hasn't taken advantage of all the officially unreleased CVH live video and even the old CVH promos from the pre-1984 era (including clips from various foreign tv shows when they went up and lip-synched). The 6-pack keeps getting periodically re-issued with nothing but the original studio content. The band since 2007 has toured with Roth leaning on setlists that are virtually nothing other than CVH material. They are a nostalgia act now.

Is it that the band doesn't want to have official releases of the old CVH live shows because it will be another reminder of Anthony no longer being in the group? Somehow this will spare Wolfgang feeling uncomfortable? I dunno. Seems a silly line of reasoning if that is the case. Is it that the band doesn't want to remind people of what the band once was as opposed to what they are today? Is it that there are legal complications of ownership regarding the old live performances...maybe many of the old production companies that shot the footage are now defunct and the footage is in limbo re: ownership and how that is applied to present-day distribution? Does WB own the rights to manufacture and distribute the footage? Are the Van Halens still pissed off at WB for dropping them 15 years ago, and don't want a nickel of that stuff going in WBs pockets?

Who the fuck knows? All I can say is that many bootleggers and bootlegging outlets with minimal scruples have made plenty of money selling these shows for years, and it's seemingly bad business practice for the band to forgo whatever profits their contract residuals with WB would entitle them to by not getting these shows restored and made available for public consumption. Assuming the band actually still has a degree of legal and creative control over the release of said material.
    I understand that there could be legal issues around the ownership of some of the vault stuff, but I can't believe some sort of deal couldn't be cut to get that stuff out there if they wanted to. And that could be the key phrase- "if they wanted to". But what about current stuff? Dave mentioned that they were recording the shows with Pro Tools, so why not make those shows available for download on their website? Any number of bands have done that kind of stuff over the years and it would require very little effort from the band. Maybe this is part of the analog mentality you spoke of- "hey, we just put out a live album, so why do we need to make the 2015 shows available?" But if they've recorded all that stuff anyway, where's the harm in making it available (for only $9.99!!!)?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Man, I wouldn't even know how to watch a clean copy of the US Fest. Sure, it would be cool and all. But I like my somewhat shitty version. It just feels right. Nah, it ain't perfect but neither was a live Van Halen show and I kinda like it that way. Plus, every time I've showed it to someone who's never seen the show I get to tell the story about how it used to get passed around as a VHS copy and how I got mine and how I shared copies around the world. That's a better story than:

"Whoa! You got the Van Halen US Fest show?? Where'd you get this?

"Walmart"

Yeah, I'll just keep my boots. What I would like is unreleased studio tracks, not really demos but where they were working the songs up in the studio, out takes and shit. All of it. And any photos and video shot in the studios. Toss in all the video and photos the band shot themselves here and there and I'd buy that. The truth of the matter is there may not be that much that the band shot themselves since they were kinda busy living it and probably not documenting it for us lunatics that want all this stuff lol.

8. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (11-21-2015)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Man, I wouldn't even know how to watch a clean copy of the US Fest. Sure, it would be cool and all. But I like my somewhat shitty version. It just feels right. Nah, it ain't perfect but neither was a live Van Halen show and I kinda like it that way. Plus, every time I've showed it to someone who's never seen the show I get to tell the story about how it used to get passed around as a VHS copy and how I got mine and how I shared copies around the world. That's a better story than:

"Whoa! You got the Van Halen US Fest show?? Where'd you get this?

"Walmart"

Yeah, I'll just keep my boots. What I would like is unreleased studio tracks, not really demos but where they were working the songs up in the studio, out takes and shit. All of it. And any photos and video shot in the studios. Toss in all the video and photos the band shot themselves here and there and I'd buy that. The truth of the matter is there may not be that much that the band shot themselves since they were kinda busy living it and probably not documenting it for us lunatics that want all this stuff lol.
    Somewhere in a box in my garage is a VHS tape of VH at the US Festival. It's obviously a 3rd or 4th generation tape, but the picture and sound are pretty good, all things considered. I got that back in the early '90s from a VH bootleg company I found via an ad in Rolling Stone. Man, that was like getting treasure! I also ordered a few audio boots from that company (Fresno '79, Indianapolis and Charlotte from '84) and they were also pretty good sounding as well. The audio stuff wasn't even on CD- all cassettes baby! They had a pretty extensive bootleg collection, but the sound quality on a lot of that stuff was so-so, so I only stuck with the high end stuff and that limited my options. My only venture in to the poorer quality stuff was a cassette of unreleased stuff that was pretty poor sound wise. The only songs I remember being on that were Honolulu Baby and Voodoo Queen (hey, it's Mean Street!!!). Sound was so shitty I only listened to it a couple of times.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Somewhere in a box in my garage is a VHS tape of VH at the US Festival. It's obviously a 3rd or 4th generation tape, but the picture and sound are pretty good, all things considered. I got that back in the early '90s from a VH bootleg company I found via an ad in Rolling Stone. Man, that was like getting treasure! I also ordered a few audio boots from that company (Fresno '79, Indianapolis and Charlotte from '84) and they were also pretty good sounding as well. The audio stuff wasn't even on CD- all cassettes baby! They had a pretty extensive bootleg collection, but the sound quality on a lot of that stuff was so-so, so I only stuck with the high end stuff and that limited my options. My only venture in to the poorer quality stuff was a cassette of unreleased stuff that was pretty poor sound wise. The only songs I remember being on that were Honolulu Baby and Voodoo Queen (hey, it's Mean Street!!!). Sound was so shitty I only listened to it a couple of times.

I got my copy of the US Fest from a mom n' pop record store in the mid 1990s (a place that closed own quite some time ago). Along the same lines in that it was clearly a copy of a copy of a copy (etc), but was in a hardshell vhs case with the evh Frankenstein stripe logo all over it. Just happened to stumble across a section in the back of the store where bootleg concert vids on vhs were being sold for $20 a pop in what was otherwise a fairly legit record store. Just happened to stumble across the store and that part of the store and find that tape. This was around 1994 or so.

A couple of years later, I was in a different record store that had been long known (for at least 15 years or so) as one that sold a bunch of swag and bootleg stuff. This one was going out of business because (according to the owner when I asked him) "fuckin' Strawberries" (which was then a big chain record store that had fairly recently moved into the area). I had remembered from visits there in the 1980s that this store used to carry Van Halen bootlegs on vinyl, but the cost was something astronomical back in those days (like $40) for a show or something. Anyway, in the days before THAT store shut down I got a cd bootleg called 'Dave's Back' which was comprised of a bunch of 1977 Simmons demo stuff, some live soundchecks of club dates in 1976/1977 and some 1983 South American live stuff.

Around 1998 or so I started mostly trading for various shows, but I bought a few here and there when I had to. So there IS a shitload of stuff out there.

11. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (11-19-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Agreed. In the mid 1980s/early 1990s, you could find all sorts of VHS copies (of extremely dubious quality) shows rating from Zeppelin at Knebworth to Great White in somebody's garage, simply by going to a mom & pop record store.

The expiration of these places is a crime, as you also could find bad-assed indie mags, shirts on the cheap that were more than cool, gossip about great and not quite so great local bands...and what was happening tomorrow night.

Fuck, I found out about REM, Black Flag and the Replacements in stores like that. I also discovered Motorhead and a shitload of British NWOBHM, most of which stunk like a tuna sandwich you forgot about, sitting in your forgotten lunchbox... somewhere next to yer toolbox and ladder in the bed of your truck for about a week or so.

As stated, the demise of those places (along with any store that offers free thought about music or any art form) is diabolical, and totally unethical. Yet the economy gives no freedom or pardon to it's meandering ways.

I miss smelly old book stores. I miss head shops. I miss comic book stores, and independent music shops.

Most of all, I miss the freedom to find and enter any single one of them, and spend my hard-earned American cash within.

13. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Phil theStalker (11-19-2015),Terry (11-19-2015)

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 10:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up BuY o0N/LiNE

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The expiration of these places is a crime...
    i MMMisS THoSE LiTiTLE ELKTRoNics PLaCES DAt s0ld sWitchEs &shit. I neede o1ne f4or mmmy ELEKTRonIcal hEATER & RADi0 shak SUXX nUtz!

SaAme THINgG?

tHEY weRE MoTORHED swITCHES.

EVERYBODY STAY WHERE YOU ARE...
    Whoaaa
    THIS IS A CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Agreed. In the mid 1980s/early 1990s, you could find all sorts of VHS copies (of extremely dubious quality) shows rating from Zeppelin at Knebworth to Great White in somebody's garage, simply by going to a mom & pop record store.

The expiration of these places is a crime, as you also could find bad-assed indie mags, shirts on the cheap that were more than cool, gossip about great and not quite so great local bands...and what was happening tomorrow night.

Fuck, I found out about REM, Black Flag and the Replacements in stores like that. I also discovered Motorhead and a shitload of British NWOBHM, most of which stunk like a tuna sandwich you forgot about, sitting in your forgotten lunchbox... somewhere next to yer toolbox and ladder in the bed of your truck for about a week or so.

As stated, the demise of those places (along with any store that offers free thought about music or any art form) is diabolical, and totally unethical. Yet the economy gives no freedom or pardon to it's meandering ways.

I miss smelly old book stores. I miss head shops. I miss comic book stores, and independent music shops.

Most of all, I miss the freedom to find and enter any single one of them, and spend my hard-earned American cash within.
    Oh, man, there used to be a TON of independently owned record stores floating around back in the 1980s and early 1990s. Much more so than any huge chain stores in terms of a ratio.

That store I mentioned that got, for all intents and purposes, shut down when Strawberries moved in the neighborhood used to in the early 80s be the only store that always had cool imports of bands like Mercyful Fate, Venom, Accept pre-Balls To The wall...the Steeler album with Yngwie and Hot On Your Heels on it...the first Alcatrazz album...all the latest releases by the band X...

You had to go out and FIND that stuff back then, or otherwise be content with whatever the limited selection at the bigger record stores was...like, the types of stores that would have 8,000 copies of Thriller in-store for sale but would only have Black Sabbath's first two albums in stock. Or they'd have plenty of copies of 1984 and Van Halen's first album in stock, but the other 4 of the 6-pack would never be available.

OR, you could always go to K-Mart and get Ronco's latest top-40 compilation...but they wouldn't carry Ozzy's Speak Of The Devil because the cover was too 'controversial'.

Man, THOSE were the fuckin' days.

16. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (11-21-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Seriously though. There are arguments about losing LP covers and so on but now you can listen to anything anywhere at any time while chatting to people from all over the world about liking even the most obscure new genre.

We don't because we have lots of other shit to do and music like everything else is now dulled like every other experience like you're are wearing a leather glove as a rubber. Realistically though very few young people though would not swap hanging about independent record stores for what they have now...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, the local record store used the be the place where you'd go to find out about, well, everything. There was always one long haired dude in his 30s working there, and that motherfucker knew everything. One of those dudes worked at our local Record Bar. And it was named Record Bar because it was supposed to be a place where people hung out and not just ran in, bought their stupid CD and then ran out. As teenagers we'd hang out in there all the time. Dude would be playing some record on the store stereo system and you could actually ask to hear a record and he'd put one on. Chicks would hang out in there too so it was a great place to check stuff out, listen to music, and you could ask The Dude and he knew - off the top of his head - which bands were coming to town and when. Plus that's where we'd go to buy tickets to shows. Show up on Saturday morning, there would be one entrance to the mall open, you'd go in and get in line. Then you'd buy your tickets there. It was fucking awesome. Now you want to go to a show you got to go online and pay some bullshit fees and I HATE those sheet of paper tickets you print off. I want a goddamn real ticket!

And contrary to what Sesh says, at least down here - young people ARE buying records and I'd bet that they'd dig having a real store that sold only music and music related stuff to hang out in. My 15 year old kid's Christmas list has three RECORDS on it so far. Actual vinyl. Not CDs. And a lot of her friends are buying vinyl, it's the damnedest thing. Sure, they buy all the same shit as digital copies too. But they're digging records and they've "discovered" our music- straight up 70s and 80s rock and "pop" or whatever you call it. It's probably not to the point where you could open a store and actually make a living off it...but it might be coming.

You know what I hear that they like the best about records? The covers and all the other shit that comes with it. And that's the same thing most of us used to dig about records. Digital is great for portability. But there's something about having a tangible piece of something that you own. I'd pretty much given up on kids before I saw this swing in the pendulum.

So all you aging Dudes out there...there may be a job for you in 10 years, other than saying "Welcome to Walmart"...

19. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (11-21-2015)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Seriously though. There are arguments about losing LP covers and so on but now you can listen to anything anywhere at any time while chatting to people from all over the world about liking even the most obscure new genre.

We don't because we have lots of other shit to do and music like everything else is now dulled like every other experience like you're are wearing a leather glove as a rubber. Realistically though very few young people though would not swap hanging about independent record stores for what they have now...
    Oh, I wouldn't trade what we have on a technological level for the way things were. You can't go back, and I wouldn't want to even if I could.

I'm just being an old cunt waxing in a wistful manner about the days when finding something like the US Fest in a small record store was sort of like discovering a small treasure by accident, which was kinda neat compared to now when you just click a button and there it is.

21. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (11-21-2015),Seshmeister (11-20-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Apologies for my horrific assault on the English language in that last sentence... I had to read it 3 times there myself.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'd pretty much given up on kids before I saw this swing in the pendulum.

So all you aging Dudes out there...there may be a job for you in 10 years, other than saying "Welcome to Walmart"...
    LOL

You do realize that pendulum swung you right out into middle age..?

Are we all not "aging dudes"..? Except for those that think they are dudettes...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    LOL

You do realize that pendulum swung you right out into middle age..?

Are we all not "aging dudes"..? Except for those that think they are dudettes...
    Don't I know it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Apologies for my horrific assault on the English language in that last sentence... I had to read it 3 times there myself.

I'll admit it took me more than a once-over twice myself to get the essence of it (the first reaction was one along the lines of 'What the FUCK is Sesh on about here, because this sentence is mong as fuck') but eventually I caught on. And agreed.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Seems like even the picture discs are coming back (or maybe they never went away and I am just an old fuck and didn't know it). I miss going into those independent record stores and finding those Ozzy and Maiden picture discs with the cool artwork. You weren't going to find that stuff anywhere else. Also, if they had a used cd bin I would be scouring that thing like a mad man.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cool

Oh, I wouldn't trade what we have on a technological level for the way things were. You can't go back, and I wouldn't want to even if I could.

I'm just being an old cunt waxing in a wistful manner about the days when finding something like the US Fest in a small record store was sort of like discovering a small treasure by accident, which was kinda neat compared to now when you just click a button and there it is.
    Me too.

Thing is, you pick up the sopping wet newspaper from the driveway, wring it out, then read horror stories, both locally and worldwide. Dunno about you, yet it all makes me want to drink and think of a former, if even falsely remembered time.

Yet there is indeed a truth underlying remembrance, IE...things were indeed the same as now, except the thought of them only sees the good.

On one hand, I'd give both nuts to drive a fucked up Delorean to revisit those days in real life. On the other, I'd be terrified of running into an earlier version of my own admittedly completely fucked-up self.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Me too.

Thing is, you pick up the sopping wet newspaper from the driveway, wring it out, then read horror stories, both locally and worldwide. Dunno about you, yet it all makes me want to drink and think of a former, if even falsely remembered time.

Yet there is indeed a truth underlying remembrance, IE...things were indeed the same as now, except the thought of them only sees the good.

On one hand, I'd give both nuts to drive a fucked up Delorean to revisit those days in real life. On the other, I'd be terrified of running into an earlier version of my own admittedly completely fucked-up self.
    Not me. I'd love to hang out with 18 year old me!! Oh man, it would be better than hanging out with your best guy friend! Plus I could mentor myself on all the stuff I learned in the past 27 years and then we'd go find Steve Jobs and I'd have him make me a partner and we'd invent all the shit that other companies invented and I could buy my own Whore Island. Then I'd write down every hit song over the past 27 years and rule the music industry. And I'd write every hit movie and rule Hollywood. At the same time I'd push for secession for the states of the Confederacy and then I'd be President of the CSA. And that's just the first year.

Somebody fire up the Delorean - Big D is about to take over the whole damn world!!!

29. 2 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (11-21-2015),Jetstream (11-21-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not me. I'd love to hang out with 18 year old me!! Oh man, it would be better than hanging out with your best guy friend! Plus I could mentor myself on all the stuff I learned in the past 27 years and then we'd go find Steve Jobs and I'd have him make me a partner and we'd invent all the shit that other companies invented and I could buy my own Whore Island. Then I'd write down every hit song over the past 27 years and rule the music industry. And I'd write every hit movie and rule Hollywood. At the same time I'd push for secession for the states of the Confederacy and then I'd be President of the CSA. And that's just the first year.

Somebody fire up the Delorean - Big D is about to take over the whole damn world!!!
    Ya bonehead...do really want to hang with a more smelly, socially questionable version of yerself? Think about it for a moment, do you really believe that a younger version of yourself would be willing to be "mentored", let alone given advice or time by an "older" you?

It's a paradox, forced by time. Sure, we could go back in time. yet make things far worse than they exist now. (Remember that Simpsons episode, where Homer fucked up the present by traveling back in time? At one point, it was pleasantly raining donuts)

Sure, it would be wonderful to right old wrongs...yet the girls you miss, old friendships misfired...how would they accept an adult stranger who vaguely looks like a friend?

Can you appear as you were in that timeline? Or would you appear as you are now...older?

I dunno. Time travel is great, I guess.

I'm just happier with vodka, cable tv and cooking.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ya bonehead...do really want to hang with a more smelly, socially questionable version of yerself? Think about it for a moment, do you really believe that a younger version of yourself would be willing to be "mentored", let alone given advice or time by an "older" you?

It's a paradox, forced by time. Sure, we could go back in time. yet make things far worse than they exist now. (Remember that Simpsons episode, where Homer fucked up the present by traveling back in time? At one point, it was pleasantly raining donuts)

Sure, it would be wonderful to right old wrongs...yet the girls you miss, old friendships misfired...how would they accept an adult stranger who vaguely looks like a friend?

Can you appear as you were in that timeline? Or would you appear as you are now...older?

I dunno. Time travel is great, I guess.

I'm just happier with vodka, cable tv and cooking.
    Actually, I've thought about this. I always thought how cool it would be for an older me to show up and tell me what to do. And yeah I guess I got the idea from BTTF II. So yeah, young me would probably listen.

And this guy was never "smelly". I've spent a small fortune looking good and being tanned. I never had a "smelly" room. No chick wants to hang out with a smelly guy. I was a teenager in the 80s and everything was about appearances. I learned an important lesson when I was a young teenager:

Pain is temporary

Glory is forever

Chicks dig scars

And as far as would young me like to hang out with old me - are you joking??? Nobody on this planet loves me more than me! You know how some people don't like seeing pictures of themselves, don't like hearing their voice, and hate seeing themselves on video? Not me. I love it. Shallow? You've stepped in deeper puddles. And I don't care. I'm fuckin awesome and even now I'd kill to have a clone of me to hang out with. Jesus Christ - I can't think of anybody else I'd rather hang out with! If I had a clone I'd never be online. I would literally shoot this phone, hand the gun to my clone and let him shoot it and then abuse my work laptop so we could order cool shit. Hell, if all the mirrors in this house could talk back to me, I'd probably never leave except for beer, food, and pussy.

There's another lesson I learned young too:

If you don't think highly of yourself, nobody else will.

And since nothing exceeds like excess - I took that and turned it up to 37. Because 11 is for fags!

32. 2 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (11-22-2015),ZahZoo (11-23-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cool

Actually, I've thought about this. I always thought how cool it would be for an older me to show up and tell me what to do. And yeah I guess I got the idea from BTTF II. So yeah, young me would probably listen.

And this guy was never "smelly". I've spent a small fortune looking good and being tanned. I never had a "smelly" room. No chick wants to hang out with a smelly guy. I was a teenager in the 80s and everything was about appearances. I learned an important lesson when I was a young teenager:

Pain is temporary

Glory is forever

Chicks dig scars

And as far as would young me like to hang out with old me - are you joking??? Nobody on this planet loves me more than me! You know how some people don't like seeing pictures of themselves, don't like hearing their voice, and hate seeing themselves on video? Not me. I love it. Shallow? You've stepped in deeper puddles. And I don't care. I'm fuckin awesome and even now I'd kill to have a clone of me to hang out with. Jesus Christ - I can't think of anybody else I'd rather hang out with! If I had a clone I'd never be online. I would literally shoot this phone, hand the gun to my clone and let him shoot it and then abuse my work laptop so we could order cool shit. Hell, if all the mirrors in this house could talk back to me, I'd probably never leave except for beer, food, and pussy.

There's another lesson I learned young too:

If you don't think highly of yourself, nobody else will.

And since nothing exceeds like excess - I took that and turned it up to 37. Because 11 is for fags!
    Thank you (no joke).

For one of the better discussions I've had in years on the web. Your response was well reasoned as all hell.

That was great! And both of us chowder-heads need to meet up, and consume a pitcher or three at the next Star Trek-Athon Convention. First and second round are on me.

Man, I hope they have a seafood raw bar this year. Last time, all they served was cold cuts.

34. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (11-23-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thank you (no joke).

For one of the better discussions I've had in years on the web. Your response was well reasoned as all hell.

That was great! And both of us chowder-heads need to meet up, and consume a pitcher or three at the next Star Trek-Athon Convention. First and second round are on me.

Man, I hope they have a seafood raw bar this year. Last time, all they served was cold cuts.
    Dude - as awesome as we are we would have a killer time! I need to take you up on that. And yeah, this thread was a lot of fun lol

36. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (11-22-2015)

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Eat Em & Smile Band Live this Wednesday with Ralph Saenz.

https://www.facebook.com/ultimatejam...fid=9&_rdr#_=_

Thread Information