Thread: Guns N Roses 2016??

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Usually he says that the band should change it's name once the singer leaves. Surprised I haven't seen that one yet.
    If a member of a band leaves of their own free will and the band isn't named after them I'd say it's up to the rest of the band if they want to continue on with the same name of not unless they have an agreement set up beforehand.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Assuming they were a four pansy band I'd also have to assume two of them were eunuchs and we're replaced by eunuchs. Weirdorama.
    Believe it or not, some of their drummers and at least one of the guitarists who have rotated through the band over the years were actually heteros.

They even let the straight guy sing one of their songs.....

I'd guess they were listening to some Who albums from the 60s just before they wrote that song.
    Last edited by Satan; 04-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Once you've joined the Pansy Division you're a pansy for life.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I thought I posted this already but I guess not.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Usually he says that the band should change it's name once the singer leaves. Surprised I haven't seen that one yet.
    It's a little difficult to make that argument in the case of Ac/Dc, since Johnson was actually their THIRD singer (though most people outside of Australia never even knew about the first one)

I do think they should call it a day after completing this tour though, since it's not even a band anymore. Angus is the only original member. Cliff Williams is the only other member who even played on "Back in Black", for fucks sake. Malcolm obviously ain't ever coming back, and it doesn't look like Phil Rudd is either. Brian was never as good as Bon, but he was there for over 35 years, so that certainly makes him a YUUUUUUGE part of the band (as your next President, Mr. Sanders would say)

6. Thanked Satan for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-18-2016)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    There isn't a them anymore , the drummers is in jail or something Malcolm can't remember being in the band and the bass player is you know what bass players are like ( easily replaced )
    It's Angus and Johnson and now it's Angus and axl.
    I got to say am surprised it's not Dave grohl I know it's not Dave growl and he doesn't have the range but he does seem to be the rock n roll prostitute of choice and will turn up to anything
    Axhole is a joke these days. He looks like shit and sings worse ! Why Slash is bothering with him is one thing ( money ? ) when he has done great records without him. Why Angus would is is beyond question ! If he was serious about carrying on at all for any time period he should have hired Marc Storace. Axhole ? Seriously ? Angus should be fucking ashamed! Then get his head checked. He just lost a ton of my respect. What a joke.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Axhole is a joke these days. He looks like shit and sings worse ! Why Slash is bothering with him is one thing ( money ? ) when he has done great records without him. Why Angus would is is beyond question ! If he was serious about carrying on at all for any time period he should have hired Marc Storace. Axhole ? Seriously ? Angus should be fucking ashamed! Then get his head checked. He just lost a ton of my respect. What a joke.

Axl sounds phenomenal. You're an idiot.

On some songs he sounds better than he ever has.

He is 54 years old and still wailing.

DLR even in his prime was never even close to what Axl is now. And yet you make excuses for Dave's "vocals" for the past 20 years.

There isn't any singer past or present who is even close to maintaining such a voice at age 54. And there are almost no singers of any age who were even close in their prime to Axl now.

Regardless of what you think of him, he gives 200 % on every show. Not like Dave who prances around thinking he's still Diamond Dave while doing his Kermit the Frog being strangled vocals.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    There isn't any singer past or present who is even close to maintaining such a voice at age 54. And there are almost no singers of any age who were even close in their prime to Axl now.

Regardless of what you think of him, he gives 200 % on every show.
    He's the best there is, best there was and best there will ever be. The Bret Hart of rock and roll.
    As far as his giving 200% per show goes that's mathematically impossible and doesn't fit his MO from the past.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    It's a little difficult to make that argument in the case of Ac/Dc, since Johnson was actually their THIRD singer (though most people outside of Australia never even knew about the first one)

I do think they should call it a day after completing this tour though, since it's not even a band anymore. Angus is the only original member. Cliff Williams is the only other member who even played on "Back in Black", for fucks sake. Malcolm obviously ain't ever coming back, and it doesn't look like Phil Rudd is either. Brian was never as good as Bon, but he was there for over 35 years, so that certainly makes him a YUUUUUUGE part of the band (as your next President, Mr. Sanders would say)
    Foreged abodit
    Last edited by vandeleur; 04-18-2016 at 06:11 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Rehearsal pics of Axl ACDC have just been released...

12. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Sarge (04-19-2016),Terry (05-07-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

So apparently some Italian AC/DC website has decided to stop posting "future updates" regarding the band in protest of their new singer lol. These guys are more mental than we are

http://www.acdc-italia.com/acdc-italia-si-ferma-qui/

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Brian Johnson just released a statement or released it today but I can't be arsed to post it.
    Any way it sounds like there has been a bit of cunty behaviour from whoever pulls the bands strings as Bri ( we are Geordies we can call each other by our first names) is clearly pissed off .

This is all pretty weird. Acdc are like the reliable old uncle we don't get drama and van halenesque behaviour.

You heard it here first Angus is a little money grabbing cunt

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The way Billboard magazine is framing the story, they're trying to make it sound like Johnson could come back.... at least to record. He might never be able to perform live again, so I wouldn't see the point in making a record if you couldn't play it live. You have to be Brian Wilson to pull that off, not Brian Johnson......

Brian Johnson 'Not Retiring,' Still Plans To Record With AC/DC

4/19/2016 by Gil Kaufman

Brian Johnson is not retiring. The AC/DC singer wants to make that very clear. Though the singer will be staying home when the band hits the road again starting May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal, with fill-in singer Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses, in a heartfelt statement released on Tuesday (Apr. 19), Johnson, 68, promised he's not going anywhere.

"As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer," Johnson wrote, not mentioning Rose by name, according to a statement issued by a spokesperson. "I want personally to explain the reason because I don't believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented."

Johnson described how, on March 7, after a "series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss," he was informed that if he continued to play at large venues he risked "total deafness."

"While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage," Johnson said. "I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised. In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow. Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can't deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC. I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life."

Johnson's statement comes just four days after the Australian hard rock group announced that Rose would be stepping in for Johnson, after the currently hobbled Guns singer met with original guitarist Angus Young and other band members in Miami and Atlanta more than a month ago to discuss the possibility of subbing for Johnson. The band's current Rock or Bust tour is slated to run through a June 12 date in Aarhus, Denmark, at which point Rose will pivot to GNR's Not In This Lifetime summer stadium tour.

Johnson said that since that March meeting with doctors, he's had several other consultations with his doctors and it seems that, for the near future, he will not be able to perform in arenas and stadiums where sound levels could put him at risk for "substantial hearing loss" and possible total deafness. "Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk," he said.

"I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine. The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before. Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life's work. I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice. The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person."

The worst part, Johnson said, was his fear that he has disappointed fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and had supported him and the band for nearly four decades. "Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC. My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support."

"Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that. For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic. Only time will tell."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

I never thought I'd see Axl and Slash onstage together. I just figured that neither of them would ever need to money enough to do it. Who knows what's driving this (it's surely too simple to just reduce it to cash).

Like many others, this half reunion is frustrating. Axl, Slash and Duff is exciting. Dizzy was there when they were huge. I'd have preferred a drummer from the glory days, however. Steven Adler is too fucked up to rely on, so Matt Sorum was the obvious choice. Izzy was never going to happen - he got bored with it at 27 when they were the biggest thing on planet earth, why would he be interested now, given he hates touring? Gilby Clarke would have been cool, but I guess you could make the case that Fortus has actually been a member of GNR for far longer. So, yeah, it's not perfect, but I figure it's the best I'll ever get, and whatever my misgiving I know if they play the UK I'll be there with bells on.

Footage I've seen looks and sounds good. An older, uglier and fatter GNR, but there is that element of danger (to a degree) that made that band fucking magic.

As far Axl with AC/DC, I look at it like this. Anyone with a dick would cut it off to sing with AC/DC for one night. BJ has clearly been royally fucked, and this is now a very poor man's version of AC/DC, but if you strip away all the premadonna BS, Axl comes from the same place as this band - amped up rock 'n' roll straight outta the school of hard knocks. Not ideal, maybe even confusing, but how on earth do you replace a guy who's been doing it for 36 years?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    Axl sounds phenomenal. You're an idiot.

On some songs he sounds better than he ever has.

He is 54 years old and still wailing.

DLR even in his prime was never even close to what Axl is now. And yet you make excuses for Dave's "vocals" for the past 20 years.

Regardless of what you think of him, he gives 200 % on every show. Not like Dave who prances around thinking he's still Diamond Dave while doing his Kermit the Frog being strangled vocals.
    Pleeeeeeese ! ! The guy sounds like fucking shit. Any control he had of his voice is gone. His voice sounds like fucking sand paper on any newer show I've watched of the fake Guns. My wife begged me too turn one off one on VH1 a month ago. In his prime he was great. I might have even liked the idea. In 2016 ? No fucking way. Get your ears checked ! And I've never made excuses for Dave's voice. He is a lazy singer. That's his fault. And a shame. He could still sound like 2007 if he wanted too. 80% of these singers should just retire anyways. You pay $ 100 bucks to get half of who they were 30 years ago as performers. It's over for a lot of bands and singers. Someone needs to start telling them. Same reason I hardly log in here anymore. No reason too for the most part.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 05-07-2016 at 11:41 AM.

18. 3 users say thank you to 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (05-08-2016),DLR Bridge (05-07-2016),Terry (05-07-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Pleeeeeeese ! ! The guy sounds like fucking shit. Any control he had of his voice is gone. His voice sounds like fucking sand paper on any newer show I've watched of the fake Guns. My wife begged me too turn one off one on VH1 a month ago. In his prime he was great. I might have even liked the idea. In 2016 ? No fucking way. Get your ears checked ! And I've never made excuses for Dave's voice. He is a lazy singer. That's his fault. And a shame. He could still sound like 2007 if he wanted too. 80% of these singers should just retire anyways. You pay $ 100 bucks to get half of who they were 30 years ago as performers. It's over for a lot of bands and singers. Someone needs to start telling them. Same reason I hardly log in here anymore. No reason too for the most part.
    With Dave, I think it's either:

1) his voice is finally shot, although I don't think so because he has the ability to yell the tunes (off-key) in a higher octave than they were originally sung on the albums

2) he is lazy/bored, in that for him to actually knuckle down, do his homework and relisten to the albums and then simply SING the tunes (obviously, the Roth Scream is no longer something he can do) was something he only made a concerted effort at for the 2007/2008 tour. And I will say he sounded very good on that tour. He had done his homework (got the lyrics and phrasing right in terms of how they were done on the original recordings) and was making smart vocal choices. No, he didn't sound as good as he did in the 1980s, but he was maximizing what he had left vocally in an effective manner. Frankly, I thought in 2007-2008 that Roth basically stole the show and the rest of the band (except for Alex) were struggling to keep up with him. Wolfgang's bass was nearly inaudible, the background vocals were clearly augmented with offstage tapes, Wolfgang looked uncomfortable onstage and Eddie wasn't playing particularly well on that tour. From 2012 on to today, Roth half-asses it because he knows he can get away with it. Nobody in the band is going to call him on it and Van Halen can still put asses in seats/sell tickets. Now, the Van Halens have their shit wired down tight instrumentally and are able to give consistently good to great performances night after night, and Roth's shitty lead vocals are such that it is Dave who struggles (and fails) to rise to the level of performance the Van Halens bring to the stage.

After seeing the 2012 performance live and watching the pre-2015 tour tv stuff, I came to the same conclusion you did: Roth ain't worth $100 a ticket anymore. Even when he is fronting Van Halen. And seeing Eddie Van Halen playing Eruption (even when he does manage to play it well, which hasn't often been the case post-Van Halen III tour) isn't worth $100 a ticket anymore, either.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-07-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Axl/DC in Lisbon

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,614 Posts

Guns N' Roses will be live at the Apollo Theater on July 20th, as part of a promotion with SiriusXM. There will be a limited time GNR channel on SiriusXM as well. The Apollo show will be broadcast on one of the Howard Stern channels.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 06-21-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Thread Information