Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It is pretty much the same scenario (puddle of shit) the Who stepped into after Keith Moon decided to drop off the planet...Now what?

Great, get a drummer who was brilliant with the Faces, and allow him to be crummy as all hell and let your reputation fall straight onto the roadside. And, golly...what a fucking unexpected surprise. Van Halen has consistently been shooting themselves in the foot for decades now.

The EUAS band would be something terrific, if Roth discovered how to sing again. Screaming and yelping are not exactly helping, ya know?
    The music Van Halen made when Roth was in the band way back when meant a lot to me. Still does.

For me to say what the band is doing now in any real sense approaches what they were doing 30 + years ago would really be a case of wanting to experience something that is gone forever so badly that I'd be making allowances, concessions and rationalizations of what they are doing now vs. back in the day which just don't hold up if I'm being honest about it.

In 1985, for a variety of reasons, Van Halen no longer wanted to work together. Van Halen got another singer and carried on. They had a degree of commercial success that not many other bands had been able to replicate after losing a key member. I don't blame the band for carrying on (although changing the name of the band after Roth left would have displayed a larger set of balls and integrity). I mean, was Ed supposed to just shrivel up and die once Roth quit? So, I don't really consider what the band did from 1985 to 1995 'fucking up', whatever musical/content misgivings I have about the Hagar years to one side.

From 1996 onward, the band that could once do no wrong has gotten so little right it's difficult at times to reconcile that these are the same people who once set the rock world on fire. And even Roth from 1996 to 2006 had been in a sort of holding pattern. Sure, I enjoyed the 1998 DLR Band album. I enjoyed his autobiography and the No Holds BBQ vid. I can't say the same of his last full-length solo album, or his jaunt with Sam Hagar, or his Van Strummin' material...or his radio show. By the time 2006 rolled around, both Roth and the Van Halens NEEDED to rejoin forces, because without one another what other options did they have left even in a strict earning sense?

So we finally got a not quite complete reunion that would take it on the road. Anthony was gone, but at least Ed got a shine and buffer rehab treatment prior to the beginning of the 2007 shows. Even that comment is indicative of the qualifications one always has to attach to the band these days: phrases like 'all things considered' peppering my thoughts about where they are and have been since 2007.

Van Halen now has become just too safe and predictable. Roth in particular has been coasting post-2008 with the band, mostly because he realizes that people want to recapture some of that old CVH magic so bad they will make allowances, rationalizations and excuses for the shortcomings of what Van Halen bring to the table these days. It allows him to take a half-assed approach to his own performances. I say that because the alternative would be Dave thinking what he is doing live now is the shit (rather than just shit). The first scenario is one that can be fixed. The second isn't. Beyond all that, even if Dave starts singing properly, all that would mean is Van Halen would start sounding more listenable live but the show would still be the same thing it has been for the last 8 years: The Van Halen Greatest Hits Experience Featuring David Lee Roth. The degree to which people want to see that depends on how many viewings it takes to satisfy the yearning for experiencing a semblance of what the band once was. For me, seeing them in 2008 and 2012 fulfilled that need. Beyond that, it would be a case of diminishing returns. This year, seeing what the band had lined up (which was more of the same from the previous two tours), I found it more appealing to watch old live boots of the CVH era than watch the current remnants of the group try and replicate what the band was.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 10 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Anonymous (11-28-2015),atomicpnk47 (11-28-2015),chefcraig (11-28-2015),damngoodtimes (11-30-2015),Dan (11-30-2015),DavidLeeNatra (12-04-2015),DLR Bridge (11-28-2015),vandeleur (11-28-2015),Von Halen (11-28-2015),ZahZoo (11-28-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    For me to say what the band is doing now in any real sense approaches what they were doing 30 + years ago would really be a case of wanting to experience something that is gone forever so badly that I'd be making allowances, concessions and rationalizations of what they are doing now vs. back in the day which just don't hold up if I'm being honest about it.
    Terry, you are really going to piss off a couple of motherfuckers around here, with this reality!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Agreed with everything you said, except...

It's the Parkinson's meds that cause Fox's Dyskinesia (sp?).

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    Yeah and I hated to post that about Fox cause I think the guy is awesome but it gets the visual across. Forgive me Marty!!!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Yeah and I hated to post that about Fox cause I think the guy is awesome but it gets the visual across. Forgive me Marty!!!
    ok

6. Thanked PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

Angel (11-28-2015)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Cool

The music Van Halen made when Roth was in the band way back when meant a lot to me. Still does.

In 1985, for a variety of reasons, Van Halen no longer wanted to work together. Van Halen got another singer and carried on. They had a degree of commercial success that not many other bands had been able to replicate after losing a key member. I don't blame the band for carrying on (although changing the name of the band after Roth left would have displayed a larger set of balls and integrity). I mean, was Ed supposed to just shrivel up and die once Roth quit? So, I don't really consider what the band did from 1985 to 1995 'fucking up', whatever musical/content misgivings I have about the Hagar years to one side.

From 1996 onward, the band that could once do no wrong has gotten so little right it's difficult at times to reconcile that these are the same people who once set the rock world on fire. And even Roth from 1996 to 2006 had been in a sort of holding pattern. Sure, I enjoyed the 1998 DLR Band album. I enjoyed his autobiography and the No Holds BBQ vid. I can't say the same of his last full-length solo album, or his jaunt with Sam Hagar, or his Van Strummin' material...or his radio show. By the time 2006 rolled around, both Roth and the Van Halens NEEDED to rejoin forces, because without one another what other options did they have left even in a strict earning sense?

So we finally got a not quite complete reunion that would take it on the road. Anthony was gone, but at least Ed got a shine and buffer rehab treatment prior to the beginning of the 2007 shows. Even that comment is indicative of the qualifications one always has to attach to the band these days: phrases like 'all things considered' peppering my thoughts about where they are and have been since 2007.

Van Halen now has become just too safe and predictable. Roth in particular has been coasting post-2008 with the band, mostly because he realizes that people want to recapture some of that old CVH magic so bad they will make allowances, rationalizations and excuses for the shortcomings of what Van Halen bring to the table these days. It allows him to take a half-assed approach to his own performances. I say that because the alternative would be Dave thinking what he is doing live now is the shit (rather than just shit). The first scenario is one that can be fixed. The second isn't. Beyond all that, even if Dave starts singing properly, all that would mean is Van Halen would start sounding more listenable live but the show would still be the same thing it has been for the last 8 years: The Van Halen Greatest Hits Experience Featuring David Lee Roth. The degree to which people want to see that depends on how many viewings it takes to satisfy the yearning for experiencing a semblance of what the band once was. For me, seeing them in 2008 and 2012 fulfilled that need. Beyond that, it would be a case of diminishing returns. This year, seeing what the band had lined up (which was more of the same from the previous two tours), I found it more appealing to watch old live boots of the CVH era than watch the current remnants of the group try and replicate what the band was.
    I hate shit like this...Terry, you write in such a superior fashion to my prose, it makes me want to urinate on your car's bumper out of jealousy. Or send a dog to do so.

Nicely done, and finely played.

Total respect.

craig

9. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Angel (11-28-2015),Terry (11-28-2015)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Terry, you are really going to piss off a couple of motherfuckers around here, with this reality!
    I dunno...should I just stop being a cooze with a wet blanket over it and have a piping hot cup of STFU?

Few things online are lamer than someone going on a site dedicated to whatever and saying that said subject stinks. Many of you here have known me for years. I don't feel I have anything to prove re: how much I dig (or dug) Van Halen.

It's just...shit, what does it say about me that I enjoyed the last Roth solo show I saw in the summer of 2006 in Orlando quite a bit more than I did either of the Van Halen reunion tours I saw Roth on? Ever since Roth rejoined the band, it's either a case of Ed still not being able to play well and Dave getting the job done or the exact opposite. Man, in 1996 I was fucking STOKED when it looked like the CVH lineup was gonna take a victory lap. As it turned out they all got into the car, turned the engine over, revved it up a couple of times then shut it off. Ten years after that, instead of a victory lap we get...bumper cars: somewhat fun considering frustration is a built-in feature of the undertaking.

Sometimes I think the luckiest fans are those who salivate over every single thing Eddie or Dave do, either in Van Halen or solo. They never experience disappointment.

11. 5 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Angel (11-30-2015),atomicpnk47 (11-30-2015),chefcraig (11-28-2015),DLR Bridge (11-30-2015),Von Halen (11-30-2015)

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-31-2018 @ 06:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    We've seen two Hagar era songs be released in instrumental form over the past week or so at the VHND. Jeff mentions that they are nothing official on the band's part, but still makes one wonder, wassup wit dat?
    Well, they just put CGTSNM up there, so there goes the theory that these are Sammy related. Maybe the band wants to continue as a threesome.

More likely Jeff at VHND is just finding content during the inevitable two-year or longer downtime and NOTHING is happening.

13. 3 users say thank you to damngoodtimes for this KICKASS post:

Angel (11-30-2015),DLR Bridge (11-30-2015),Terry (11-30-2015)

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What if you don't try to hold this up to what they did 30 years ago? You go in with concessions fully made and just see if you enjoy yourself. That's what I do. Almost all of my favorite bands are well past their prime and have nothing but nostalgia to sell me. I'm OK with that because I have no choice. (Well, I have a choice, but it's not now vs. 1980. It's go to the show or stay home. I suppose stay home will win out eventually)

15. Thanked damngoodtimes for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (11-30-2015)

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damngoodtimes View Post
    Almost all of my favorite bands are well past their prime and have nothing but nostalgia to sell me. I'm OK with that because I have no choice. (Well, I have a choice, but it's not now vs. 1980. It's go to the show or stay home. I suppose stay home will win out eventually)
    Hope I die before I get old!thewho.jpg

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    What if you don't try to hold this up to what they did 30 years ago? You go in with concessions fully made and just see if you enjoy yourself. That's what I do. Almost all of my favorite bands are well past their prime and have nothing but nostalgia to sell me. I'm OK with that because I have no choice. (Well, I have a choice, but it's not now vs. 1980. It's go to the show or stay home. I suppose stay home will win out eventually)
    Yeah, I did that twice already. Once in 2008 and once in 2012.

I get that these guys are getting old. I'm not expecting Roth to start the show with a split off the drum riser, or shriek out those barefoot-on-hot-coals screams he used to do.

When it gets to the point where on balance the lead vocals are sounding shittier more often than not at any given show, it's time for me to pass on the band.

While I will say I'll only go to see a Roth-fronted Van Halen live, I can't be bothered continuing to see that Roth-fronted Van Halen if what they are doing live isn't at least passable. That includes Eddie, too. That drunk motherfucker skunked me out of a good show in 2008, when Dave brought HIS 'A' game to the stage. I gave the band a pass and saw them again 4 years later. On that show, Dave sounded awful roughly half the time.

Yeah, yeah, I know. In 2008, Eddie had 'problems with his hands'. In 2012, Dave had 'problems with the blowers'.

Shouldn't I only have to pay, say, $20 to see the band these days? Given that they can't produce a show worth much more than that anymore? Or am I just supposed to pay a premium to see living legends? Even though they can't quite cut the mustard anymore, they can still do a half-decent job of licking the knife? For all the great music they made and I paid for several times over in vinyl to cassette to cds to all the shows I've been to, am I just supposed to keep going to feather their nests, even if what they got isn't up to snuff anymore?

I trundled out and saw Dave at HIS solo career nadir in terms of drawing power in 1999, 2002, 2005 and 2006. I went and continued to go because Roth never failed to entertain. He upped the ante in 2008. GREAT fucking show. 2012 he JUST barely squeaked by, and it was really only Eddie playing so well on the ADKOT tour that made that show memorable. 2015 was just a reprise of 2012, so I sat it out. I hate to say it, but I think Roth isn't able to get the job done anymore...at least not in a manner that I find acceptable.

Whatever. I've bitched, pissed and moaned about this topic long enough. Will STFU about it now.

18. 4 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

atomicpnk47 (11-30-2015),damngoodtimes (11-30-2015),DLR Bridge (11-30-2015),Von Halen (11-30-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

I dunno...should I just stop being a cooze with a wet blanket over it and have a piping hot cup of STFU?
    Hell no. Preach it!

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

While I will say I'll only go to see a Roth-fronted Van Halen live, I can't be bothered continuing to see that Roth-fronted Van Halen if what they are doing live isn't at least passable. That includes Eddie, too. That drunk motherfucker skunked me out of a good show in 2008, when Dave brought HIS 'A' game to the stage..
    That is the one thing that pissed me off from that tour. They finally get back together, and Ed can't stay sober. I was there opening night in Charlotte and that night was magical and is my lasting memory from this era of the band. But lots of folks couldn't be there and got short-changed.

Even though Roth is a shadow of his former self these days, I find it hard to get mad at him, when it was Eddie that wasted away so many years. It's not Dave's fault that Eddie waited until Dave was nearly 60 before Ed got his shit together. I fault Dave a bit for some bad choices with how to attack some songs, but I really think some of these are all he can muster. I wonder if he can pull off EEAS any more, but it might be fun to watch him try. The John 5 record is probably the way to go now, if he's staying in the lower, bluesier register.

I refuse to be bitter about it. Got more than I would have ever imagined out of these guys after all that wasted time.

21. 3 users say thank you to damngoodtimes for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (12-01-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (11-30-2015),Terry (11-30-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I agree with a worrying amount of your last few posts.

When you get older things move slower but it seems quicker. The Van Halen reunion now in year 8 is crazy, stating the obvious that's longer now than the first time around if you only count the signed years.

It's like when you do the math on Ozzy's solo career and realize that almost all of the good stuff was the first 4 years (and his live setlist shows he agrees) and he's now been coasting on that for the next 30.

The one thing you didn't mention much in your last 3 posts is ADKOT. While I totally agree with the points about the live performances (I got lucky catching a sober Ed in 2008 although he still is much better now), I think ADKOT is a really good album. It's better than I thought it would be if I'm honest. Live shows are in the moment even if you are watching them on YouTube, but that album I'll still be listening to from time to time in 10 years time if I'm still around. If the only thing we got out of the reununion was that and really annoying Fat Sammy(and it wasn't) then that would still have been great.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-01-2015 at 06:21 PM.

23. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (12-01-2015),damngoodtimes (12-02-2015)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That is the one thing that pissed me off from that tour. They finally get back together, and Ed can't stay sober. I was there opening night in Charlotte and that night was magical and is my lasting memory from this era of the band. But lots of folks couldn't be there and got short-changed.

Even though Roth is a shadow of his former self these days, I find it hard to get mad at him, when it was Eddie that wasted away so many years. It's not Dave's fault that Eddie waited until Dave was nearly 60 before Ed got his shit together. I fault Dave a bit for some bad choices with how to attack some songs, but I really think some of these are all he can muster. I wonder if he can pull off EEAS any more, but it might be fun to watch him try. The John 5 record is probably the way to go now, if he's staying in the lower, bluesier register.

I refuse to be bitter about it. Got more than I would have ever imagined out of these guys after all that wasted time.
    Yeah, I'm trying not to be too bitter about it, myself. Sometimes I wonder if my bitterness is less directed toward Van Halen than it is just a general grousing over the fact that I'm not exactly getting any younger, myself.

I'd agree from the boots I saw that the first leg of the 2007/2008 tour was pretty good. Ed, for the most part, was doing what he needed to and basically getting the job done. As you say, just to see those guys up onstage together again and playing fairly well in the beginning stages of that tour was somewhat astounding in some ways. When considering less than a year before those 2007 dates started Ed literally looked like he was drop dead any moment, never mind being in any condition to play well. And even Roth's last couple years of touring as a solo artist, entertaining as they were (in no small part because he had a slamming band as was playing smaller venues, which always sound better than arenas), weren't necessarily anything that I thought would immediately translate into being able to front Van Halen in front of 15,000 people. Going into that 2007 tour, I was wondering if Roth was going to basically keep doing his House Of Blues/"I'm only playing in front of 1,000 people, so I'm not gonna quite pull out all the stops" attitude. It was like, would Roth and Eddie even be able to get up in front of arena-sized crowds and serve up CVH stuff in a manner that wouldn't be embarrassing to watch? You can't blame someone for wondering, because it wasn't necessarily a given in my mind thinking back on the 2004 Van Halen tour and the Roth shows I saw in 2005 and 2006.

But they pulled it off, at least for the first leg of tour.

In 2012, all of the Van Halens were quite good. I will say that Alex was excellent in 2008 and 2012. Wolfie sounded good in 2012. Ed was playing better than he had in years...at least since the Van Halen III tour.

It sounds and feels to me that Dave could be doing better vocally live. Even with all the time that was wasted and the fact that he's old, it makes no sense to me that he's yelling out verses in a strained tone: why exert himself that way vocally, when all he needs to do is just sing the tunes? Is it that he's just bored singing them and yells out of key to keep things interesting for himself?

I'm not mad at Roth. I just don't hold with the approach he's taking live vocally anymore. It just doesn't sound good. Apparently none of the Van Halens or management are inclined to tell him the same, maybe because Roth and the Van Halens don't have any other options left other than the setup they have now if they want to tour and perform in front of sizable audiences.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

When you get older things move slower but it seems quicker. The Van Halen reunion now in year 8 is crazy, stating the obvious that's longer now than the first time around if you only could the signed years.

It's like when you do the math on Ozzy's solo career and realize that almost all of the good stuff was the first 4 years (and his live setlist shows he agrees) and he's now been coasting on that for the next 30.

The one thing you didn't mention much in your last 3 posts is ADKOT. While I totally agree with the points about the live performances (I got lucky catching a sober Ed in 2008 although he still is much better now), I think ADKOT is a really good album. It's better than I thought it would be if I'm honest. Live shows are in the moment even if you are watching them on YouTube, but that album I'll still be listening to from time to time in 10 years time if I'm still around. If the only thing we got out of the reununion was that and really annoying Fat Sammy(and it wasn't) then that would still have been great.
    A Different Kind Of Truth WAS pretty good in spots.

Not too crazy about Tattoo. Nor The Trouble With Never. Both of those come off to me like tracks that didn't make the cut of the 1998 DLR Band album - not in terms of origins, obviously, but in terms of tone and content. Stay Frosty and You And Your Blues kinda come off the same way to me.

As Is and HoneyBabySweetieDoll were quite good. Chinatown was a home run.

The rest of the tracks (if memory serves, along with Tattoo) were reworked Simmons/WB demos, and some of those revamps came out pretty good.

Overall, I'd agree ADKOT came out much better than I thought it would, considering the albums leading up to that were Van Halen III, the new Hagar tracks on BOBW and Dave's 2003 Diamond Dave album.

Put it this way: while I'm lukewarm at best regarding seeing the band live going forward, I'd still be interested to see what they could come up with in the studio.

26. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (12-01-2015)

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-22-2021 @ 02:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    12-25-2016 @ 01:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Mike Portnoy was on WMMR here in Philly this morning and said Diamond Dave was supposed to be a surprise for the fans! And he also said that "They're" working on making that show happen in the near future!

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

I don't know about any of you fucks, but seeing Dave with a proper band, a band that really likes him, seeing everybody happy in the moment, even after the show was cancelled, makes me happy too.

That single picture washed away all the bizarre bullshit he's been pulling ever since he rejoined VH.

Dave, give us one last horribly sung concert with a proper, real band that respects you. Please!

30. 2 users say thank you to Anonymous for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (12-01-2015),Terry (12-02-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imapus Sylicker View Post
    I don't know about any of you fucks, but seeing Dave with a proper band, a band that really likes him, seeing everybody happy in the moment, even after the show was cancelled, makes me happy too.

That single picture washed away all the bizarre bullshit he's been pulling ever since he rejoined VH.

Dave, give us one last horribly sung concert with a proper, real band that respects you. Please!
    And that is it in a nutshell. I don't wish to see Willie Mays stumbling about in the outfield, too old to catch his breathe or a ball. Muhammad Ali, fumbling through a speech about Parkinson's Disease. Brett Farve, refusing to give up with a final great season with the Vikings? Well hell yeah.

I want Dave to quit pissing about. Present an honorable, final performance, and allow me to purchase a DVD of it at Best Buy or Barnes and Noble on a Tuesday morning. Add a bonus disc of some of those hilarious vids from the 1980's, and I'm totally there for the send-off.

And a boxed set of the solo work (including outtakes, deleted tracks, live stuff from the EUAS band, and obscurities, (like "Tin Cup Chalice") and it would be a terrific Christmas present, as well as a fine, final dressing on the cake.

32. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-02-2015)

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And that is it in a nutshell. I don't wish to see Willie Mays stumbling about in the outfield, too old to catch his breathe or a ball. Muhammad Ali, fumbling through a speech about Parkinson's Disease. Brett Farve, refusing to give up with a final great season with the Vikings? Well hell yeah.

I want Dave to quit pissing about. Present an honorable, final performance, and allow me to purchase a DVD of it at Best Buy or Barnes and Noble on a Tuesday morning. Add a bonus disc of some of those hilarious vids from the 1980's, and I'm totally there for the send-off.

And a boxed set of the solo work (including outtakes, deleted tracks, live stuff from the EUAS band, and obscurities, (like "Tin Cup Chalice") and it would be a terrific Christmas present, as well as a fine, final dressing on the cake.
    Fuck yeah!

Who gives a shit about the Van Halen vaults of weird doodlings?

What we need is to raid Dave's vaults & release every single shit in there.

I bet one tape of Dave's puts the entire 10 albums - or maybe they're twenty by now, who knows? Might be thirty! - of Edtard's to shame.

Tin Cup Chalice... I forget how many times have I listened to that crappy recording of an absolutely fantastic music while lounging by the pool, eyes closed & the soft summer breeze caressing my sexy body. Great fucking song.

Baker's Street, Ain't that Peculiar, come on Dave! Give us a break!

34. 2 users say thank you to Anonymous for this KICKASS post:

Angel (12-02-2015),chefcraig (12-01-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries

Sorry to piss on your leg and tell it's raining... but... I think Diamond Dave's ability to present an honorable performance has reached the Mays stumbling and Ali fumbling realm.

We should appreciate this cancellation of the EEAS gang reunion as a gift for what our minds think it "could have been"... I'd lay good odds the positive vibe in this thread would have departed quickly on the ear cringing yelps and high pitched straining of Dave trying to belt out any of their former hits...

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Hey, what the fuck is that supposed to mean!

I was really talking more about the live show, but yes, I also really think they outperformed expectations with ADKOT. I still listen to that one quite frequently. I think it holds up well. I don't really have a problem with the reworking of old demos. On the laziness scale, it's better than an album of half covers like Diver Down. At least it's their own songs.

In all seriousness, I think the use of the old demos was a smart move and probably critical to getting that classic vibe even on the all-new stuff.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Sorry to piss on your leg and tell it's raining... but... I think Diamond Dave's ability to present an honorable performance has reached the Mays stumbling and Ali fumbling realm.

We should appreciate this cancellation of the EEAS gang reunion as a gift for what our minds think it "could have been"... I'd lay good odds the positive vibe in this thread would have departed quickly on the ear cringing yelps and high pitched straining of Dave trying to belt out any of their former hits...
    I think that by "honourable performance", Chef means doing a gig where Dave doesn't have to pretend he's in the band.

You make a good point, though. But maybe if the whole show was fun enough, we wouldn't give a shit about Dave fucking up the songs.

After all, I don't think the EEAS band is as serious a business as Van Halen. A lot more can be forgiven.

38. Thanked Anonymous for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (12-03-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Fuck yeah!
    Tin Cup Chalice... I forget how many times have I listened to that crappy recording of an absolutely fantastic music while lounging by the pool, eyes closed & the soft summer breeze caressing my sexy body. Great fucking song.!
    For the uninitiated...and ferget the video clips, just dig the tune. This is from a live radio broadcast in sometime in 2002. Dig in and enjoy.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

For the uninitiated...and ferget the video clips, just dig the tune. This is from a live radio broadcast in sometime in 2002. Dig in and enjoy.

I still think Dave might be able to sing well enough to do an "unplugged" album. I've put that idea out there before but not too many people thought it was a good idea.

41. 2 users say thank you to cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (12-04-2015),damngoodtimes (12-06-2015)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

From Adam Mandel's FB page, linked via Billy Sheehan https://t.co/x7EGBNPK0a

THE ULTIMATE JAM NIGHT MORNING AFTER REPORT VERSION 44. (THE SHUT DOWN EDITION) CONTINUING TO HONOR LISA MARGAROLI AND BACKGROUND SINGERS EVERYWHERE.

If you’ve been to any of the 43 Ultimate Jam Night’s that preceded 44 you know what we’re all about – creating a resurrection of rock music through the intertwined spirit of each other. We have stated and repeatedly encapsulated it in our closing statement: “Rock Music Is A Community And You’re A Part Of It.”

Well that thought seems to have registered with a few people. Oy, did it register with a few people.

We worked diligently as always putting together another edition of Ultimate Jam Night – continuing to give you incredible performers and performances, in a setting that felt like a social gathering of friends and family.

What ensued was a full-fledged rock concert broke out.

Nearly 3,000 people showed up. They lined the block all the way down Highland Avenue, around the corner and half way down Hollywood Boulevard. No sooner did one wave get handled then another wave emerged.

Last minute guests and VIP’s were coming out of the wood work without advance notice trying to get in. If you knew the names of some folks that showed up that we turned away you’d be shocked. They were people that another 3,000 people would have lined up to see on their own.

At one point we even had a guitarist showing us his Wiki profile and photos to prove who he was. It was absolute madness.

All of this without even telling you that David Lee Roth was going to be on stage.

In the 43 prior weeks of Ultimate Jam Night we’ve done some amazing things. Mind-boggling performances, community and charitable giving, the uncovering of new talent, the celebration of the legends of music history (we had Hendrix mentor on the week before). The feeling created has been unlike anything in the world of music today.

For many of our editions we’ve been honored to have one of the greatest living bass players perform – Billy Sheehan of The Winery Dogs. Before his recent tour run with The Winery Dogs he coaxed a friend out – celebrated drummer Gregg Bissonette (currently with Ringo Starr among other projects) and they played a couple of tunes and had a great time alongside other regular UJN performers like Stephen Chesney (Waking Jonah). They had such a great time that an idea hatched…what about having Steve Vai join them for a fun little reunion of some songs from the Eat ‘Em and Smile Band? Would we be up for it? We think you know the answer to that question.

Sheehan, Bissonette, and Vai are at the absolute top of what they do and are extremely busy. Nonetheless they sorted out a date that would work with their schedules for sometime in late November.

So we kept it on the back burner until we got official notice that it would happen – one week before announced to the public. Floated along with the idea of course was the thought that maybe David Lee Roth would be interested in joining them. Collectively we didn’t hold out much hope of that happening, but of course we wanted to see it.

As the date neared we planned with Billy, Gregg, and Steve all the particulars. When they’d be on, the songs they’d do, what they needed in support – as we do with all Ultimate Jam Night guests. We announced it – like we do in regular fashion – and within hours our lives would change.

Interest immediately sparked. Within the first hour after the announcement the Ultimate Jam Night Facebook page recorded 30,000 people interacting with it. Then the phones started to ring. The buzz was BUZZZZZING.

At this point this was all about just three members of Eat ‘Em and Smile. Given the concerns about having David join them, the players arranged for Ralph Saenz (Michael Starr) of Steel Panther to perform with them as their vocalist. That became part of the announcement.

Our job at Ultimate Jam Night is sincerely dedicated to proving that rock music is alive and kicking – and we shared the announcement with a few press outlets that have previously covered our efforts. Once it hit their blogs, it got picked up – again, and again, and again. It got to the point where your intrepid writer was on the phone beginning at 4:30 am dealing with east coast interests until 1:30 am the following morning to sort through the rest of the world - each day for the days leading up to 44. That’s how crazy it was, and that was just one person. In the meantime our entire team was being besieged from every possible direction.

As the performance date grew near we were getting interest from other performers who wanted to be on the bill. Another quirk of the schedule allowed us to have John 5 with us – as we had mutually tried to get together for many earlier Ultimate Jam Nights. Then it was the guys from Filter that came on board, Phil X was down, Rafael “Hoffa” Moreira would be back, and on and on. We told you as they each came on board. Major players were being added left and right and there was no doubt that this Ultimate Jam Night would be THE ULTIMATE JAM NIGHT. Except there was even more in store…

Another quirk of the schedule and we learned that Brett Tuggle, the original keyboardist for the Eat ‘Em and Smile Band would be joining them as well. Now you had the 4 original guys all playing together – it was going to be pretty special, and Ralph would still sing.

Late Tuesday night we got a call. DLR would be joining and it needed to be kept under wraps – serious, serious wraps. As there was already insane interest, a DLR announcement would throw this thing off the moon. Several calls were exchanged, extremely tight security measures were discussed, and a way to keep the surprise was put in place.

Audience interest was still growing, and growing, and growing. Radio was picking up the event. Sirius XM was featuring it across its platform. We even managed to finally get the attention of local television and Los Angeles’ KTLA Channel 5 announced the event – speculating about DLR, an announcement that we never even made.

With surging interest we actually put a plan in place to encourage people to NOT come – a first in Ultimate Jam Night history. Posts were made warning about long lines and the likelihood of not getting in. Contingencies were created for how to deal with potentially disappointed people – including reports that we were receiving that folks were driving 8 hours from other states just to see the show. All of this without even knowing that DLR would be performing.

We kept everything tightly under wraps and with a contingency of having Ralph sing because honestly we were concerned that the crush of enthusiasm might keep DLR away at the last minute.

As the show approached we fielded guest list requests and set a door time – we were holding doors - for the first in Ultimate Jam Night history.

Knowing that some folks might not be able to get in, we created give-away items and walked the line to distribute them and personally thank everyone for coming down. Our thought was if they couldn’t get in, we wanted everyone to at least leave with a sense of who we are and what we do – which is appreciate everyone interested in helping grow the interest in Rock Music.

And then…..Ultimate Jam Night turned into a rock concert. As the first wave of people got in it looked like we were going to have our normal busy night. So we went about readying and running the show like we normally do…except the mayhem didn’t stop.

Heading from backstage to the front we suddenly noticed a photography well filled with 5 times the amount of press coverage we normally see. VIP’s were squished into folding chairs.

The show opened, and we did our normal approach – an opening act, and a first set, with the idea to follow with a second set.

At the end of the first set, as pre-planned with the artists private security team we had a black SUV pull up so that we could wisk both Steve Vai and DLR discreetly into the building just slightly in advance of their play. Now we’d not only have to deal with the crowd, but we even had to attempt to control the amount of other players in the tiny back-stage area in the interest of security.

Steve made it in the building, but DLR decided he wanted to do some vocal warm-ups and drove around the block a few times while an alternate security plan was readied. Except a hiccup occurred – when Steve Vai entered the building the car window went down, David Lee Roth was in the passenger seat, and the sidewalk crowd knew what was about to ensue.

The words “Holy Shit!” spread down the line and buzz was starting at an entirely new level. But simultaneously the room was more and more packed.

We ended the first set, and hurried to prepare the stage for what everyone had been waiting for. Since the majority in the room itself still didn’t know that DLR was to perform we had the ultimate secret ready for the Ultimate Jam Night. The plan was to have the curtain closed and with Steve Vai’s first guitar notes reveal the Eat ‘Em and Smile Band playing. Behind the back curtain from a wireless microphone you’d hear some of the familiar vocal notes of “Yankee Rose” thinking that it was Ralph – only to have it then revealed to have DLR walk through the curtain and create a moment in history to surprise you – and be the biggest thanks to the rock music community we could think of for its loyal 43 weeks of support leading up to that moment. Alas it was not to be. Seconds, and we mean seconds before the band was to play we were alerted that the Fire Marshall had shown up. Venue management then came to us on stage and described what they wanted to do. We tried as quickly as we could to find a way to make this moment still come off. We asked some of you to leave, we tried clearing the room. We offered to do the show twice. We offered the opportunity for a meet and greet. The artists themselves even offered to pay any fine if we could just go on, and have enough time to clear the room to allow the show to continue. Alas it was not to be.

We were all beyond disappointed. A band that hadn’t been together soooooooo wanted to play. What makes it even more remarkable is that in true unrehearsed Ultimate Jam Night fashion, they were going to do it without rehearsal – live before your ears. This was a moment…this was THE moment that was to be a memory of many lives – and we were shut down.

Not only were the guys in the Eat ‘Em and Smile band affected but artists including folks from The Drills, Magnetico, The Iron Maidens, The Circle Jerks, Biohazard, and more were shut down as well. It was an awful feeling seeing sad faces of artists gathering their gear without having a chance to express their talent.

There is no worse feeling than telling someone who’s ready to perform that they can’t. Doing it to these folks is like the gut punch of all gut punches. Images were captured that at some point will probably be history in their own right. Just know that the story isn’t over, and when the next chapter is ready we will let you know.

Set 1 opened with Paulie Z and the house band taking on some of The Who to roust up the enthusiastic crowd to full effect. After that sterling introduction of Paulie, along with Matt Starr (Mr. Big), Mitch Perry (Edgar Winter), Ferlazzo (Avril Lavigne/Gabbie Rae), and the Captain Chuck Wright from Quiet Riot laying it out as good as inspired Englishmen, up came the world traveler otherwise known as Glenn Sobel (Alice Cooper – and for a few – Motley Crue) to bang out a little Led boots. Then it was time for Damon Fox (The Cult/Big Elf) to lead some Communication Breakdown (the song people….the song)along with Tabitha’s The Okai Sisters and Jason Sutter of Smashmouth on drums in awesomeness. It really started to get the throngs in crowd in the spirit – particularly the many who haven’t had to see these folks do their thing before. Next it was time to bring up the horns, a full contingent of players, our background vocalists tour de force, and the killer vocal skills of Tyra Julliette. Tyra, along with bassist Derek Frank (Shania Twain), Jeff Bowders (Shakira), Mitch Perry, Ferlazzo, the horn section of Jacob Scesney, Korel Tunador (Goo Goo Dolls), and Matt Shulman, along with “The Team” of Kevin Parker Robinson (Peter Frampton), Lisa Margaroli (Howard Leese), and with Belinda Skinner (Luther Vandross) filled the stage with a full sound that this rock crowed didn’t expect. It was awesome – thank you! Next up was the hard stuff as we brought to the kit for the first time at Ultimate Jam Night Jimmy D’Anda (Lynch Mob/Bullet Boys), along with Sean McNabb on bass (Lynch Mob, Dokken, Burning Rain), Ira Black (Hellion, Lizzy Borden, Attika 7, Death Division), and Dewey Bragg on vocals who celebrated his birthday and 3,000 of his friends came out. They nailed a bit of “I don’t know” with full effect – and truly the crowd was into it. You can always tell when the audience is into something because of the swelling applause that happens from back to front – and on this number it was a roaring swell. Thank you! Next up it was time for some more greatness. With a stage that included Glen Sobel back again on drums, along with Ferlazzo, Johnny Martin (Adler), August Zadra (Dennis DeYoung Band), Korel Tunador back again on sax, and Sam “Bam” Kolton (Gabbie Rae/Made N America) on guitar, out came 17-year-old vocal sensation Gabbie Rae, who only weeks before had gathered an audience of over 100,000 people online – handing off her phone and turning on her voice to the throng before her. There’s little doubt that this young, yet seasoned pro pulled off another stunner – as another swell of enthusiastic applause greeted the song’s conclusion. It was a vision – aptly expressed. Next up were Ashley Dzergian, Oumi Kapila, and Chris Reeve (all from Filter) along with Ferlazzo for “The Hand That Feeds” we were fed,and fed well by all of you thank you! Then it was time for two guys that are Creatures and a man who has your number. We of course are talking about John 5 and The Creatures (Rodger Carter on drums, Ian Ross on bass) who performed a killllllllllerrrr mini set of three songs including a guitar medley that has become incredibly talked about and already broadcast all over You Tube. It was awesome and everyone who saw it was just enthralled. Thank you John for finally being able to make it, and thank you Rodger and Ian. We end the first set (and what would be the night) with the house band, along with Barry Pointer of Lucky Strike, Paulie Z. on vocals, “The Team” of Kevin Parker Robinson and Lisa Margaroli on background vocals and the bag pipe wizardry of John Allen for some “Long Way to the Top” with an excellence that we wished could have carried us through a second set.

At the conclusion of the first set we were able to announce the incredible support that this community of rock puts behind causes – including the night’s efforts lead by TSOL/Cadillac Tramps drummer Anthony “Tiny” Biuso in behalf of Mama D Feeds the Homeless. What Biuso is doing to raise awareness and support is truly remarkable – and as a result, 1,000 pounds of food was donated along with 400 pounds of warm clothing to immediately help Los Angeles’ homeless population. Thank you Tiny and thank you Jules for all you are doing to help educate, help, and service this deserving population.

44 Cast: Anthony “Tiny” Biuso, Ashley Dzerigian, August Zadra, Belinda Skinner, Billy Sheehan, Brett Tuggle, Chaun Horton, Chris Reeve, Corey McCormick, Courtney Cox, Damon Fox, Dan Spree, David Lee Roth, Debby Holiday, Derek Frank, Dewey Bragg, Evan Seinfeld, Jeff Bowders, Gabbie Rae, Glen Sobel, Gregg Hetson, Greggg Bissonette, Ian Ross, Jacob Scesney, Jimmy D’Anda, John 5, John Allen, Johnny Martin, Kevin Parker Robinson, Kirsten Rosenberg, Korel Tunador, Lisa Margaroli, Matt Shulman,Mayuko Okai,Nikki Stringfield, Oumi Kapila, Phil X, Roby Duron, Rafael Moreira, Rodger Carter, Ralph Saenz, Sam “Bam” Koltun, Sean McNabb, Steve Vai, Stephen Mills, Tone DeCorte, Tyra Julliette, Tsuzumi Okai, Walter Ino, Wanda Ortiz

Thank you to Trippy the Clown, Tim Phoenix, and the foam side-kick Sandy Martin for keeping Trippy’s nose clean and on his face.

Thank you to the tech team of James “Shotty” Shotwell, Aaron “Guitar Hero II” Mercier (Kings of Carnage), “If I had a hammer” Chip Rainone, and Mike “Mr. Pedals is he really in Smashmouth” Perkinpine – for all their help on a night that backstage was utterly indescribeable.

Thank you to “The Ambassador” Todd Headlee for unparalleled professionalism in the face of adversity.

Thank you to Jessica “The Walking Wonder” Chase for a stream of social media that gathered the population of a small city, and Lisa “The Evangelist” Morton who helped get a horde of media out to cover the population.

Thank you to Maureen Davis for jumping in to the flames full burner to help us out.

Thank you to William Berger and Terry Harrison for handling – well for just handling a new level of insanity that also was indescribeable.

Thank you to the entire Lucky Strike for their entire team’s grace under pressure.

Thank you to the regular coverage team that’s always there. They covered this night with quality and fairness. Folks This includes Tamea Agle , California Rock News including Chip Smith, Ann Sunde, William Greenberg, John Bereziuk. Mark J. Litzky, Johnny Grimmer, Ronnie Lyon, Kenny Bradberry. Thank you Alex Kluft, Kenny Bradberry, Red B. Mancini, and Kathy Flynn. Anyone missed is purely accidental.

Thank you to the incredible sponsors including Tim McGuire and 6-string.com. Thank you to Sick Boy Clothing, Friedman Amplification, ESP Guitars, Swing House Studios, Evans Drum Heads, Pro Mark Sticks, D’Addario Strings, Monster Energy, GoGo Tuners, Paiste Cymbals, and Pickboy picks.

Regardless of the finish – Ultimate Jam Night is anything but done. We are already on to number 45 with a style and approach that’s made you watch – and made you become a family.

To all of our family (and you know who you are) we will continue to exist because of you – and for you – you were the first to offer up your seats so the show could continue, you are the first we thought of when our hearts filled with disappointment, and you are the first that fuels are desire to continue this movement in you honor.

We will see you at 45.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think that by "honourable performance", Chef means doing a gig where Dave doesn't have to pretend he's in the band.

You make a good point, though. But maybe if the whole show was fun enough, we wouldn't give a shit about Dave fucking up the songs.

After all, I don't think the EEAS band is as serious a business as Van Halen. A lot more can be forgiven.
    I don't know... the whole "in a band" thing... we're brothers crap... is just some conceptual thing in people's minds... It ceased to exist with in the realm of Van Halen long ago in the 20th century...

Back in the day... 74-85 they operated within that "we're the band" mentality. Once they parted and the supporting characters started cycling in and out... in a band... became a much more fluid and irrelevant concept. At some stage you become just a musician plying his trade or just a guy doing his job to earn a pay check.

This EEAS thing wouldn't have been a band... just a jam among old friends. Probably fun... maybe a highlight or 3... but nothing monumental. Like I said... the concept of what it could have been most likely far surpasses what it would have been. Many times dreaming is far more enjoyable than living reality...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't know... the whole "in a band" thing... we're brothers crap... is just some conceptual thing in people's minds... It ceased to exist with in the realm of Van Halen long ago in the 20th century...

Back in the day... 74-85 they operated within that "we're the band" mentality. Once they parted and the supporting characters started cycling in and out... in a band... became a much more fluid and irrelevant concept. At some stage you become just a musician plying his trade or just a guy doing his job to earn a pay check.

This EEAS thing wouldn't have been a band... just a jam among old friends. Probably fun... maybe a highlight or 3... but nothing monumental. Like I said... the concept of what it could have been most likely far surpasses what it would have been. Many times dreaming is far more enjoyable than living reality...
    That whole concept of professional rock bands being like family or brothers or best friends...you almost HAVE to be in your teens to believe that myth.

It wasn't necessarily true 30 or 40 or 50 years ago, and it's probably even less true now. I think Roth himself in the early 1980s said something to the effect that there are a lot of businessmen onstage pretending to be rock stars.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh I don't have any illusions the guys in my favorite bands were best buds. And it was probably Van Halen that disabused me of that notion, back in the day. I mean, we had Dave everywhere and Bitter Young Cunt and the drummer and Mike were rarely around. I didn't care.

I think though that where you see that sense of camaraderie is when a band is really green and young. And then when they reunite as older guys. I wanted to believe that was what was gonna happen with VH but knew better. Sure, people got all choked up seeing Dave and Ed hug at the first show of 2007. Hell it got to me too. But I knew it was bullshit. But I suspended disbelief for an evening.

Fast forward to a few days ago and the pictures of the EEAS band backstage - with Dave - and you actually see that youthful excitement showing through the wrinkles and ravages of time. Those guys were excited as hell to be about to play again, including Dave. Does that mean they were gonna be best friends and pal around? No. And that's not important. Look, most of us have maybe one or two childhood or high school friends who we're so close to still that we're truly still best friends with. And even we don't run around with those people all the time, two against the world and all that, like we used to. That's life.

I think what most of us were hoping to see and hear was what was captured visually in that one picture of them all together back stage. We were hoping to see that transferred onstage into a stellar performance. Which is not the same thing as a perfect recreation of how it used to sound. We simply wanted to see them capture lightning in a bottle again. And they could have, even if it wasn't a perfect performance. I don't think any of us would go easy on Dave if he sucked. And rightly so. But if the spirit was there, from all of the guys, we'd look past the fact that time has truly marched on and appreciate the energy and effort the guys put into it, even though they didn't rehearse together before the show.

And in my mind, that's what's missing from current VH. Sure, it's a good show, warts and all. But, for me, that cohesive spirit of "we're gonna do this together and enjoy the hell out of it" just ain't there any more with VH. And that transmits to the show.

I hope they pull it together for another shot at a show. Sure it's not gonna be 1986 all over again, but if you close your eyes for a second it might just feel like that summer when you saw that band the first time or heard those songs for the first time.

46. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (12-04-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Well put Donnie. I can attest to there being the family, brotherly best friend thing during a tenure with an unprofessional band. That greenness forges a bond. Success usually fucks that up, but I wouldn't know anything about that. (Cue the picture of Kermit the frog sipping his hot tea)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Well put Donnie. I can attest to there being the family, brotherly best friend thing during a tenure with an unprofessional band. That greenness forges a bond. Success usually fucks that up, but I wouldn't know anything about that. (Cue the picture of Kermit the frog sipping his hot tea)
    It's not easy being green...I love that song

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    It's not easy being green...I love that song

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well I think Donnie summed it up nicely... that moment of joy captured in the back-stage photo does evoke a certain amount of happiness that appears somewhat genuine. Old friends... partners in crime getting together after a long break for some fun... That's what they are selling in the first place isn't it..?

From a performer's perspective it's not hard to conjure up an ear-to-ear shit eatin grin when you know you're moments away from having a few thousand fans showing you the love for a brief hour or two. Odds are that smirk fades fast when you return home to find the dog crapped in the living room while you were away or the old lady greets you with "the glare™" for wasting another perfectly nice night out with your pals acting like a jerk...

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I know that thing you're saying, I'm not retarded.

I have this face, but that's because I was born with it.

What I meant was, those people in the photo actually seem HAPPY to be WITH EACH OTHER.

Donnie, as you well noticed, said it better than I ever could.

Edtard not only sucks all joy out of a room, he sucks all joy out of anyone even watching a video. It's like watching 4 people working at a factory, everyone doing their separate thing. Sure, they all end up contributing to the final product, but they didn't exactly work together or were even aware the others were there.

An EEAS gig could, theoretically, be several orders of magnitude more fun simply because all three of them'd actually contribute to the show while Dave yelped like a sick dog. What this *could* do would be to lift the burden of being the only person in the whole room that's trying to have fun from Dave's shoulders & allow for a more organic, as it were, experience.

Shit, they might even interact with each other on stage, figure out what works & what doesn't, instead of just going through the motions waiting for the workday to be over.

And let me say it again - I don't believe anyone expects as much from the Yankee Rose band as they do from Turd Halen. So the pressure would be off quite a bit, expectations would be lower, mathematically it adds up to a better experience. Will it be so, however? I hope we get to find out.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think everybody has made good points. And I think we've all adjusted our expectations of what Dave would bring to the show. Izzy makes a good point that there's not as much pressure as with a VH show. That's true for me. You just cannot watch any of the classic VH boots and not have the whole "the music should look like it sounds" idea permanently burned into your brain. And nowadays the VH live music sounds right but when you look at the stage, all you see is a bitter old Cunt who hates the world and you and a young guy who is trying his best to lay back and not intrude on the show. Admirably so. And then you've got Dave doing everything but setting his Bawllz on fire to try to give the audience a show to look at. Sure he can't sing right half the time. But you can't say he's just up there walking around or standing around like that fucking idiot twangin on his electrified geetar and no he ain't nothing special and I CAN find 10 guys who can play his shit better than him in less than a week. The guy had a short period of creative awesomeness and once it was over it was over. Talk about hitting the wall. Ed didn't just hit it - he crashed through it and hid behind it for the next 30 years.

So yeah, an EEAS show or couple of shows or even a short tour to smaller sized crowds wouldn't come with the baggage that seeing VH does. I mean do we really want to see Dave flying around on a surfboard? Nope. But we don't want to see him sitting around talking about his fucking dogs either. How's about just getting up there and playing the songs and having a good time. Yeah, that might just work.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

Eat Em And Smile reunion tonight!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Eat Em And Smile reunion tonight!
    Any more details?

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Any more details?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Get ready

Thread Information