Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Neil Peart Says He's Retired From Music

Greatest of all time, IMO.....

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...ed-from-music/

Rush’s Neil Peart says he’s retired from music

"There comes a time to... take yourself out of the game"

BY ALEX YOUNGON DECEMBER 07, 2015, 12:51PM

Over the the summer, Rush embarked on their “R40 Tour” celebrating the 40th anniversary of drummer Neil Peart’s membership in the band. At the time, bandmate Alex Lifeson said it would likely be the band’s final full-scale tour together due to his psoriatic arthritis and Peart’s chronic tendonitis. While Lifeson left the door open for future projects, including smaller tours and soundtrack work, he said the band’s ultimate fate lays in the hands of music’s greatest drummer.

If that’s the case, it appears Rush is no more. In a new interview with Drumhead Magazine (via Jambase), Peart spoke frankly about his coming to terms with retirement. “… Lately Olivia has been introducing me to new friends at school as ‘My dad– He’s a retired drummer.’ True to say–funny to hear. And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to… take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song ‘Losing It’ (‘Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it’).”

Aside from aforementioned health issues, Peart previously mentioned his desire to spend more time with family. Following the tragic deaths of his daughter and first wife in the late ’90s, Peart remarried in 2000. He and his wife had a daughter, Olivia, in 2009.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    Oh well... better run than any other band of the era... well eras...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

I wondered what was up when Neil didn't even appear in that cameo appearance on "Chicago Fire" along with Geddy & Alex. Ironically, they didn't actually play any music, so it's not like any physical exertion would have been required. Tendonitis is a bitch. I've had it so bad at times that I can't even raise my arms high enough to put a shirt on (or take it off) without excruciating pain. And it's usually right around this time of year that an episode happens, so I really have to watch out for it. Playing the drums in that state would be next to impossible. Not even pain killers would help if your arm literally won't move.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

No shame in calling it a day. The dude ain't getting any younger and I can understand him wanting to spend more time with his family. A hundred years from now kids will still hear his playing and be inspired. Not too shabby of a legacy to leave behind.

Hey, maybe Ed will finally retire too, seein as how we ain't never gonna get a proper reunion out of the old coot.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Anybody grab R40 Live?

I've been listening to it, honestly not all that thrilled with it....

It's nice to hear some of the live stuff that I haven't heard since my Grandmother bought me "All The World's A Stage" in 1976 (she got help from kids at the record store), but overall I much more prefer R30....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I wondered what was up when Neil didn't even appear in that cameo appearance on "Chicago Fire" along with Geddy & Alex. Ironically, they didn't actually play any music, so it's not like any physical exertion would have been required. Tendonitis is a bitch. I've had it so bad at times that I can't even raise my arms high enough to put a shirt on (or take it off) without excruciating pain. And it's usually right around this time of year that an episode happens, so I really have to watch out for it. Playing the drums in that state would be next to impossible. Not even pain killers would help if your arm literally won't move.

Yeah, Trunk mentioned several months ago that with Alex's arthritis and Neil's tendinitis that this could very well be it for them....

What a fuckin' run....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Anybody grab R40 Live?

I've been listening to it, honestly not all that thrilled with it....

It's nice to hear some of the live stuff that I haven't heard since my Grandmother bought me "All The World's A Stage" in 1976 (she got help from kids at the record store), but overall I much more prefer R30....
    R30 was actually the first time I finally got to see them live. I'm glad I got to see them a few times even if it was at the end of their career and I agree I preferred R30 to R40. For them to manage 5 world tours and 2 good albums in those 10 years was outstanding and as Donnie says, no one can complain.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

The huge difference between ed and Rush is rush bend over backwards to make things available to fans, it like they get that fans want to give them money for things. Oh and a sense of humour rush don't take themselves to serious , bet no one seen that coming when they were releasing 2112

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Man I hate to hear that. Not sure how you "retire from music". Really the end of an era and I'm glad I got to see them in 2012.
    If you've never see Rush in Rio cranked up on a home theater system do yourselves a favor. Probably the most incredible live concert I've had playing
    on mine.

10. 2 users say thank you to private parts for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (12-08-2015),Seshmeister (12-08-2015)

Thread Information