Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

The Radicalization of Luke Skywalker: A Jedi’s Path to Jihad

http://decider.com/2015/12/11/the-ra...path-to-jihad/

[b]The Radicalization of Luke Skywalker: A Jedi’s Path to Jihad

With the imminent release of the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens, many theatergoers are re-watching the original movies to reacquaint themselves with those stories from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. This time, however, they may find themselves surprised by how much the film’s characters and themes echo the current War On Terror.

While some have put forth persuasive arguments as to why the Galactic Empire were actually the good guys and the Rebel Alliance bad (an explanation by Jonathan V. Last can be found here, and an excellent follow-up by Sonny Bunch here), the recent online discussion tends to be on a more macro level, discussing galaxy wide events and surrounding the Empire’s struggle to restore safety and order to a star system overrun by space terrorists.

“You’ll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.”Photo: Everett Collection

A more focused study, however, is needed to truly understand that the Star Wars films are actually the story of the radicalization of Luke Skywalker. From introducing him to us in A New Hope (as a simple farm boy gazing into the Tatooine sunset), to his eventual transformation into the radicalized insurgent of Return of the Jedi (as one who sets his own father’s corpse on fire and celebrates the successful bombing of the Death Star), each film in the original trilogy is another step in Luke’s descent into terrorism. By carefully looking for the same signs governments and scholars use to detect radicalization, we can witness Luke’s dark journey into religious fundamentalism and extremism happen before our very eyes.

When we first meet Luke Skywalker, he’s an orphaned farm boy with barely any friends, living with his Aunt and Uncle, and wanting to join the Galactic Academy like all the other guys his age. You see, Luke didn’t become a space terrorist overnight, but he did exhibit signs that would make him a prime candidate for terrorist recruiters. The process of radicalization, as described by Anthony Stahelski in the Journal of Homeland Security, notes terrorists tend to:

Come from families where the father is absent (check)

Have difficulty forming relationships outside the home (check)
    Be attracted to groups offering acceptance and comradeship (checkmate)

Luke is just the kind of isolated disaffected young man that terror recruiters seek out.

Do those look like the eyes of a sane and rational man to you?Photo: Everett Collection

Obi Wan — a religious fanatic with a history of looking for young boys to recruit and teach an extreme interpretation of the Force — is practically salivating when he stumbles upon Luke, knowing he’s found a prime candidate for radicalization. Stahelski notes terror groups place a focus on depluralization, stripping away the recruit’s membership from all groups and isolating them to increase their susceptibility to terrorist messaging. Within moments of meeting Luke, Obi-Wan tells Luke he must abandon his family and join him, going so far as telling a shocking lie that the Empire killed Luke’s father, hoping to inspire Luke to a life of jihad.

Shocked and confused by this onslaught of terrorist brainwashing, Luke hurries home only to find the charred corpses of his aunt and uncle. The Empire’s accidental harming of Luke’s Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen can be directly compared to the casualties of President Obama’s drone campaign, whose body count terrorists capitalize upon for recruitment. This is precisely what Obi-Wan does, preying upon Luke’s emotional state to take him under his spell and towards a life of extremism.

Obi-Wan whisks Luke off to Mos Eisley using a Jedi mind trick to bypass security, knowing full well he likely appears on numerous terror no fly lists. After contracting a local drug smuggler for transportation, Obi-Wan and his newest Skywalker recruit are off. They are soon captured, however, and attempt an escape which culminates in a battle between Obi-Wan and Vader. During the fight, Obi-Wan notices Luke watching, and seeing an opportunity to fully inspire Luke to radicalize, says a Jedi prayer while committing suicide. Can you think of any other groups who try to inspire terrorism by yelling a prayer before a suicide attack?

Once Luke escapes and regroups with a terror sleeper cell, he joins them on an attack mission. As he nears his target, hearing Obi-Wan’s words in his mind, Luke closes his eyes, says a prayer and bombs a space station, killing everyone aboard. Young Skywalker has proven himself a quick study in the ways of armed religious extremism.

As the Empire Strikes Back begins, Obi-Wan appears to Luke as an apparition and gives him clear instructions on continuing his radicalization. Luke is ordered to travel overseas to receive training and religious instruction from Yoda, an extremist cleric who runs a Jedi madrasa on Dagobah.

Yoda accepts Luke into his religious “school,” teaching Luke Jedi fundamentalism and guerilla warfare. Like many extremist mullahs, Yoda demands total adherence to his strict interpretation of the Force and seeks to strip Luke of independent thinking. Yoda’s push to radicalize Luke, rob him of an identity, and instill obedience are apparent when at various points he instructs Luke to “Clear your mind of questions,” “Unlearn what you have learned” and, most grimly, “Do, or do not, there is no try.” The Jedi know it is imperative to force mindless devotion in warriors they recruit for their holy war. Armed with new combat training and cloaked in a hardline religious fervor, Luke leaves Dagobah, impatient to put his terror training to use.

In Return of the Jedi, we see a darker, hardened Luke, fittingly dressed in black and eager to use violence as a tool to enforce the twisted “judge, jury, executioner” value system of the Jedi. During a rescue mission, Luke exhibits their extremist binary worldview of “if you aren’t with us, you’re a viable military target” when he blows up Jabba’s barge, killing every man, woman, and child on board. Excited by so much bloodshed and mayhem, young Skywalker seeks to assassinate the Emperor and even his own father (!) if they won’t convert to Luke’s extremist interpretation of the Force. Luke enters the Death Star, hoping to gain martyrdom if he is killed. As Luke’s insurgent friends successfully bomb their target, Luke succeeds in killing the Emperor and, eventually, his own father. Luke’s path to radicalization is complete, his bloodlust sated … for now.

With Darth Vader the final casualty of Luke’s jihad, Obi-Wan and Yoda have succeeded in catching yet another young man in their web of Jedi extremism. As is now evident, Star Wars is clearly a cautionary tale of the dangers of radicalization, and how even a seemingly harmless young man who kept to himself on Tattooine can become the terrorist next door.

Works Cited:
    “Social Psychological Conditioning.” Web log post. Social Psychological Conditioning. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2015.

Stahelski, Anthony: Terrorists Are Made, Not Born: Creating Terrorists Using Social Psychological Conditioning, Journal of Homeland Security, March 2004

Comfortably Smug is a government relations professional with a focus on the financial services industry. He can be found on twitter with his musings on all things finance and politics at @ComfortablySmug
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

So you won't be going to see it tonight?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

I read this yesterday. It's pretty interesting.

What's missing from the narrative is the time between the end of III - and where IV picks up. Yeah we know the Empire killed off all the Jedi. Big deal, military coup, shit happens. But just how bad were things during that 18 - 20 year stretch after the Empire took over. I haven't read any of the books, or watched the cartoons or any of that shit. All I'm going from are the movies. So I guess what I'm wondering is just how bad the Empire truly was. I mean, yeah so they blew up a planet. Big deal. We fire bombed Germany and nuked a shit ton of Japanese - destroying a planet doesn't seem so bad when you put it into perspective. And we're talking about a shit ton of planets that fall under the rule of the Empire. Take Tatooine for example and life looks pretty much normal there. Of course the planets closest to whatchamacallit were probably more under the boot, but was it really all that bad?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rebels is filling in the blanks between trilogies. One of the characters is supposedly the "last" Jedi, even though we know Yoda and Kenobi are in exile. I don't watch Rebels, watched the first couple and didn't like the characters and don't like the animation style. I liked the original Clone Wars, the little three minute episodes but didn't really keep up with the half hour show.

I've read Aftermath, which takes place after Ep 6. It's a long book and at times if felt like there was too much to keep track of. Then in between regular chapters there are little half chapters on characters who may or may not end up in TFA or in other books. I read Sith Lords as well, which IIRC was set between Eps 3 and 4. It was okay but got predictable...you know that the Emperor and Vader are in the original trilogy, and when they are presented with a situation in the book you know they're getting out of it.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Is Aftermath canon?

I watched some of Clones but I just couldn't get into it. I guess we'll get to see onscreen what the Empire was like between III and IV when Rogue One comes out. And the Han Solo movie will have to include the Empire. What I'd like to see is Disney cast a really kick ass young Han Solo and then tap that fucker to play Indy in a string of movies set in the 30s and 40s. Not remakes, not reboots, just more movies with a new young Indy. That dick head Spielberg is dead set against anybody else playing Indy but I think it's a slam dunk.

Von's gonna show up in half an hour and his head will explode trying to figure out what we're talking about, lol

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Aftermath is canon.

Chris Pratt was supposedly going to be the next Indiana Jones. I think Spielberg wasn't thrilled with Lucas' idea of Shia LaBeuof becoming the next IJ...and I agree with Speilberg.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    I read this yesterday. It's pretty interesting.

What's missing from the narrative is the time between the end of III - and where IV picks up. Yeah we know the Empire killed off all the Jedi. Big deal, military coup, shit happens. But just how bad were things during that 18 - 20 year stretch after the Empire took over. I haven't read any of the books, or watched the cartoons or any of that shit. All I'm going from are the movies. So I guess what I'm wondering is just how bad the Empire truly was. I mean, yeah so they blew up a planet. Big deal. We fire bombed Germany and nuked a shit ton of Japanese - destroying a planet doesn't seem so bad when you put it into perspective. And we're talking about a shit ton of planets that fall under the rule of the Empire. Take Tatooine for example and life looks pretty much normal there. Of course the planets closest to whatchamacallit were probably more under the boot, but was it really all that bad?
    Not bad if you were in a cozy little spot that didn't draw much attention. Being under and close to that crazy assed Emperor was probably a bitch. Darth Vader had a shit job. No wonder he choked people so much. Take this job and shove it!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think they should bring Jar Jar Binks back. Some people will go nuts and say it's racist but bring Jar Jar back long enough to annoy everyone and have him meet his demise by falling into a giant bender.

Thread Information