Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Does the "Eat 'Em and Smile" Reunion talk say anything about the future of Van Halen?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Damn Von, I gotta put you down one notch for that one...
    Whatever. I don't pay attention to names.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Whatever. I don't watch movies. Or watch TV. Or read books.
    Well that explains a lot
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Jesus Christ, Rip Von Winkel - I am going to buy you a VCR!!
    Don't! He'll put his 8-track tapes in it...

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Damn Von, I gotta put you down one notch for that one...
    Is that the only movie he watched?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I suppose the success of another Van Halen tour with Hagar would really depend on what a demographic breakdown of the audiences currently willing to pay money to see Van Halen would reveal.

In other words, how many people paying to see the band actually care (to the point of it being a deal-breaker) who (Roth vs. Hagar) sings for the band as long as the Van Halens are playing. Keeping in mind that neither Roth nor Hagar as solo acts or members of other bands in the years running up to 2004 through the present were selling out large arenas or venues with the exception being the co-headlining tour they did together. How many people seeing Van Halen these days are casual fans vs. the 'Dave or the Grave, Baby!' contingent. And how many of those would only have any use for Roth IF he's fronting Van Halen.

AND how much of a draw Roth with the Van Halens would be going forward from today vs. how much of a draw it was in 2007 (the first live appearances Roth did with Van Halen in over 20 years) and 2012 (promoting the first Van Halen album with Roth in over 25 years). I mean, there wasn't that much of a huge reaction to what the band did in 2015 from what I saw...so what's the draw for ANOTHER tour with Roth going forward? Especially when by THAT point whatever drawing power to be had from the excitement over seeing Roth onstage/recording with the band after a long absence has already been used up?

I'd be willing to wager a fully reconstituted (i.e. with Anthony) Van Hagar lineup would generate a decent amount of interest. Particularly if it is public knowledge that Eddie is still on the wagon and playing well.
    People will go see it that grew up on 80's music. Just like they are for AC/DC or Poison or whomever was a bigger act back then. Gun's look like they are going to do something. (sadly !! ) Axl sounds worse than Dave and Sam combined !!! Sadly for me being a Roth fan the draw of VH is the name more than the singer these day's. I think if the go way I'm fine with it at this point. Even if it's just Dave being out. But if people think Hagar is going too sound good fronting VH these day's they are in for a surprise.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, one thing Sam has right is when he says Dave ain't the happy party guy he likes people to believe he is. Seems to me he's more like Ed - he'd rather sit alone in a room and brood.
    One thing about Dave, he is not going to sit alone in a room and brood. He never has. He may have been disappointed at times but Dave, no matter what always lives life to the fullest. Dave is definitely the happy party guy. If Sam said that he is a complete liar.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    One thing about Dave, he is not going to sit alone in a room and brood. He never has. He may have been disappointed at times but Dave, no matter what always lives life to the fullest. Dave is definitely the happy party guy. If Sam said that he is a complete liar.
    I'm not so sure about that. In public he's the life of the party but he might be totally different around family members and real friends, if he has any. He might have lived his life as the Diamond Dave persona when he was younger but I have a feeling he spends a lot of time alone nowdays. Right now he's probably somewhat social coming off a long tour and not knowing where he's going from here but if he doesn't decide to continue performing I have a feeling he'll go back to spending most of his time working with his dogs and chilling out alone.
    Beware of Dog

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One thing that always made Dave so interesting to me is that he was not just a rock star, he is a multifaceted creative individual. People always talk about his martial arts and now his tattoos but Dave also invested a lot of time studying in the ancient art of Japanese Watercolor. I always liked his lyrics because he would always throw in a lot of material which went over the typical rocker which made me laugh with his wit and intelligence. I agree with some that Dave is more of a recluse outside his rock persona... the man is an artist who happened to use the rock genre for attention, art and writing is an outlet I wish he would pursue now with the same vigor he did popular music
    I got lost in the...

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. In public he's the life of the party but he might be totally different around family members and real friends, if he has any. He might have lived his life as the Diamond Dave persona when he was younger but I have a feeling he spends a lot of time alone nowdays. Right now he's probably somewhat social coming off a long tour and not knowing where he's going from here but if he doesn't decide to continue performing I have a feeling he'll go back to spending most of his time working with his dogs and chilling out alone.
    The entire time Van Halen was between tours he was in Japan doing all kinds of things and spending time with his girlfriend. Dave is too wired to sit around and brood. He loves life at lives it to the fullest no matter where he is and what he does. Just have never seen or heard anything that indicates otherwise. Just my opinion but . . . .

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Something significant happened with Dave in the last year or two... he may have a history of being a busy guy, but not always in the public eye.

Seemed he'd returned to the top of his game... musically for sure, being an adventurer and publicly out and about as another version of the "most interesting man in the world"...

Then BAM!!

He didn't just step out of the spotlight and go private... he took it all down and erased about 6 years of his public life and personal public figure branding that he'd worked to build on his ride at the top again. This isn't typical... damn sure ain't normal nor trivial. The odd thing is the retraction of a clear auto-biographical artistic work that cemented his legacy and told his story.

It seems tragic... what ever the fuck happened... a celebrated, fun figure and a logbook of his adventures... vaporized... For what..?
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave spending so much time in Japan doesn't surprize me at all. Talking about being busy, with a woman half his age but...

... 3 times as heavy as he is... That's a job that takes SOME martial arts, doesn't it!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Dave spending so much time in Japan doesn't surprize me at all. Talking about being busy, with a woman half his age but...

... 3 times as heavy as he is... That's a job that takes SOME martial arts, doesn't it!
    Geez, I bet her crap is the size of a Yugo!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here Yugo! Right on!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And maybe her farts are so loud that they made Dave deaf...

Stay Frosty!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Something significant happened with Dave in the last year or two... he may have a history of being a busy guy, but not always in the public eye.

Seemed he'd returned to the top of his game... musically for sure, being an adventurer and publicly out and about as another version of the "most interesting man in the world"...

Then BAM!!

He didn't just step out of the spotlight and go private... he took it all down and erased about 6 years of his public life and personal public figure branding that he'd worked to build on his ride at the top again. This isn't typical... damn sure ain't normal nor trivial. The odd thing is the retraction of a clear auto-biographical artistic work that cemented his legacy and told his story.

It seems tragic... what ever the fuck happened... a celebrated, fun figure and a logbook of his adventures... vaporized... For what..?

Great post and I've often wondered what drove Dave to eliminate his digital presence literally overnight (i.e. website, The Roth Show, etc.).

Initially, there were rumors of legal issues, but that wouldn't explain letting his domain name rights expire. There's something more at play here, and we can speculate all day long on what the real reasons are.
    I just hope the issues aren't health-related.
    Last edited by Roth & Roll; 01-01-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth & Roll View Post
    I just hope the issues aren't health-related.
    Don't overlook Mental Health... the mind goes, the body follows...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thus speaks experience
    fuck your fucking framing

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At one point there was rumor about him "shaking" so much being a health issue. Never knew if there was something to that or just how wired he always was?? Has anyone else heard of that?

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    At one point there was rumor about him "shaking" so much being a health issue. Never knew if there was something to that or just how wired he always was?? Has anyone else heard of that?
    There have been numerous discussions surrounding the possibility of Parkinson's...
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    There have been numerous discussions surrounding the possibility of Parkinson's...
    /copious intake of redbull
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    He's just...old.

When you hit 61, you're old. One can say "60 is the new 40" or whatever insipid pithy 'Life's Little Instructions' saying comes to mind, but once you're out of your 50s you have far more yesterdays behind you than tomorrows ahead of you.

With that age comes a natural diminishing of ability. It'd be freakish if Roth was still able to sing and perform at the level he was in his 20s and 30s, particularly since his showmanship involved a lot of screaming and jumping around.

When I saw those backstage pics of the aborted EEAS reunion club gig, my initial response was along the lines of wondering if Roth was ill, because he didn't look too well. But that's just the way he looks these days. Ed doesn't look all that well, either, when compared to his prime (although certainly a hell of a lot better than 10 years ago).
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    /copious intake of redbull
    Nah man, Dave done moved up to Red Balls!!

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Add to Ignore list

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't know if this scenario has been mentioned, but here is my guess....Sammy and Mike back in the band, Wolf releases his project/album and opens for the Van Hagar tour. Wolf gets a cut of ticket sales/merchandise, use of the main stage/lighting etc etc

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone888 View Post
    Don't know if this scenario has been mentioned, but here is my guess....Sammy and Mike back in the band, Wolf releases his project/album and opens for the Van Hagar tour. Wolf gets a cut of ticket sales/merchandise, use of the main stage/lighting etc etc
    Good point.

And if he's as good on keys as Ed claims, he could sit in with VH. You know Sam would insist on playing Right Now.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a fkn joke this band has become!!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    What a fkn joke this band has become!!
    Come on dude. You and I both know they've been a fucking joke since 1985.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    joke's on us

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Come on dude. You and I both know they've been a fucking joke since 1985.
    True

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Good point.

And if he's as good on keys as Ed claims, he could sit in with VH. You know Sam would insist on playing Right Now.
    I would straight up puke if that happened. A new level of gayness.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Thread Information