Thread: January 3rd (with launch day articles)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

January 3rd (with launch day articles)

The opening show...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4
    Last edited by twonabomber; 01-04-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Uncle Manny, all day...

Some news articles from Day 1...

Roth: New mouth,
    off & running

By DAVID HINCKLEY
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Free-FM's David Lee Roth
    Say this, among other things, about David Lee Roth: He understands, values and protects the brand he has spent 30 years developing.

Ask him some form of the question he's heard for the last two months, about how it feels to take over Howard Stern's morning radio slot, and his first crack is, "Oh, hell, everyone knows doing morning radio is just an excuse to put bourbon in your coffee."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich...avidleeroth.JPG

There's a lot more where that came from, and Roth will be rolling it out starting today at 6 a.m., when he takes the mike on the new WFNY (92.3 FM), christened "Free-FM."

Free-FM, a talk format designed to lure some of the young men who are up for grabs with Howard heading off to Sirius Satellite Radio, is billed as free of format restrictions.

But it's hardly free of pressure.

As Infinity CEO Joel Hollander has noted, no radio company has ever had to replace a Stern-level listener- and revenue-generator in several dozen cities at the same time. So while Hollander says he's allowing a year or two for the new era to take shape, Free-FM represents a major roll of the dice with a large bet riding on it. Unconfirmed reports have Roth alone making up to $4 million a year.

Roth, who turned 50 in October, doesn't talk dollars. But he does promise to work hard for the money, and that includes cheerfully playing into Infinity's hope that his reputation as the wild-man lead singer of Van Halen will give his radio show the warm glow of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

Ask Roth, for instance, about simply physically getting up to do a morning radio show.

"You call it morning," he says. "I call it after-hours. I haven't been to sleep since 1988 anyway."

And what made him go to sleep then?

"Darcy from Dallas," he replies.

But while a big part of Roth's charm is that he's always tossing a huge stage wink at everyone, including himself, he says the radio gig is serious.

"This is something I've done as an avocation since the '60s," he says, recalling how he grew up on fast-talking top-40 jocks, then caught the birth of cool FM with Los Angeles' Tom Donahue.

Among the things that taught him, he says, is the importance of having something to say.

"My background is utterly different from everyone else on the radio," he says. The average host "has spent the last 30 years talking into a microphone in a room without a window. My life for the last 30 years has been international adventure and intrigue."

That's why, he says, taking Stern's time slot isn't like being the guy who has to replace Michael Jordan for the Chicago Bulls - because he's not doing what Stern did.

"Stern is an aberration," says Roth. "He's unique." Roth sees himself as part of a much longer radio time line, one that predates Stern by decades.

"This is the tradition of [famous WOR 1940s and '50s hosts] Tex McCrary and Jinx Falkenberg," he says. "They got on the radio every morning and talked to you."

Unlike Roth with Infinity, of course, Tex and Jinx weren't promoted as sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. But then, Roth's dirty little secret is that he sees that part of his persona as only the starting point. There's also the Roth who follows the news of the day, and the Roth who has been working outside the spotlight as a New York emergency medical technician.

"Does that affect you?" says Roth, rephrasing a question. "You mean waiting for 10 hours in the freezing cold for a call on Stillwell Ave.? You bet it changes things."

Among other things, he says, it makes him feel more like he's doing what he's here for.

"In the Roth family," he says, "the key word is 'contribution.'"

He also says it's made his style, always charming, a little more New York.

"Look, I can bond with a fire hydrant if I have to," he says. "But I'm not a comedian. I have a sense of humor, but with a lot of things it's a New York sense of humor. Like, 'It's funny, but it ain't funny.'"

Some in radio are saying, and Roth knows it, that he's just a radio gigolo. He says there's something deeper going on. Starting today, we find out.

Originally published on January 3, 2006
    Last edited by twonabomber; 01-04-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LEE ROTH AIMING TO CHANGE RADIO

Rock star DAVID LEE ROTH has no fears about replacing shock jock HOWARD STERN on the Infinity radio network, because his life experience sets him apart from other DJs.

The former VAN HALEN singer, who left the band in 1985 to pursue his solo career, began broadcasting at 6am EST this morning (03JAN05) and insists his unique sense of humour will endear him to listeners.

He tells the New York Daily News, "My background is utterly different from everyone else on the radio. The average host has spent the last 30 years talking into a microphone in a room without a window.

"My life for the last 30 years has been international adventure and intrigue. Look, I can bond with a fire hydrant if I have to but I'm not a comedian. I have a sense of humour, but with a lot of things it's a New York sense of humour. Like, It's funny, but it ain't funny."

1-4-06

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

from FMQB:

Roth, Carolla Debut As CBS Radio's Free-FM Kicks Off
    January 3, 2006

Calling his new job the "hottest seat in international radio," David Lee Roth made his debut this morning as CBS Radio's Free-FM was officially rolled out today. Roth's Free-FM counterpart on the west coast, Adam Carolla, also launched his program.

Roth's show broke open by a sultry sounding female speaking in Spanish, then English, stating, "Welcome to David Lee Roth. Prepare to feel filthy, ashamed and completely alive." Roth soon followed by introducing himself and asking, "Where do you start out a gig like this?" He briefly acknowledged his predecessor by stating, "Howard Stern has gone off into the front edge of American culture." Later in the show, Roth invited Stern to be a regular caller to his program so they could discuss 92.3 Free-FM VP/GM Tom Chiusano. Roth mixed conversation with dance beats and music over the course of his first two hours before his uncle, Manny Roth, was the first guest, showing up during the 8 a.m. hour.

Meanwhile, Carolla made his debut three hours later with a simple greeting of, "Hey everybody. This is Adam Carolla and this is The Adam Carolla Show. Thanks for popping our cherry." Carolla then introduced his cast of players before launching right into his program with nary a mention of Stern and sounding as if he and his crew had been on air for years and were picking back up after a holiday break.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Radio Roth
    If enthusiasm alone were enough, David Lee Roth could be a hit in Howard Stern's former slot. But his debut also hit some rough patches.

By David Hiltbrand
    Inquirer Staff Writer

Energy can take you a long way on radio, and David Lee Roth brought boatloads of it to his new morning gig on WYSP-FM (94.1) yesterday morning.

But the original front man for Van Halen was armed with little more than verve as he replaced Howard Stern as the 6-to-10 morning-drive DJ in Philadelphia and six other markets.

Roth proved himself quick on his feet, maybe a little too quick. By 6:20 a.m., he had talked about his childhood, Carmen Electra, Bono's messiah complex, and his most recent job: working as an emergency medical technician in New York City.

It was a morning of scattershot storytelling, a style for which a guy with Roth's colorful background is perfectly qualified.

As he observed, "Why have stories if you don't have a place to tell them?" But it wasn't great radio - at least not for the morning.

The talky, let's-reminisce quality of the show - Roth played only a handful of songs over four hours - carried a dreamy, late-night tone.

And for someone who has always presented himself as the poster boy for bachelorhood, he spent a surprising amount of time lecturing his listeners about the responsibilities of parenting.

There were the usual opening-day glitches as Roth assumed what he termed "the hottest seat in international FM." He wrestled with the equipment and getting callers on the line.

Most of them were fans offering encouragement and expressing how much better Van Halen was when he was in the band. (Sammy Hagar, his successor, was mentioned more than Stern.) One phoner from Bristol, however, accused Roth of "talking smack," a charge the neophyte radio host readily accepted.

Through most of the morning, he had various loops of instrumental music simmering in the background. The volume of the hip elevator music would increase as punctuation between the host's observations.

And make no mistake, Radio Roth is a one-man show, far more so than the Stern circus.

Roth has a studio posse, among them a Brit named Elvis and a Snoop-like Southerner named Animal. But their primary function, at least on the first morning, was to chortle whenever Diamond Dave made a funny.

Roth has always been a clever phrasemaker. His witticisms yesterday included "My God is a fearsome, vengeful comedian" and "I... have convictions about things, both religious and prior." He also encouraged people to do whatever they want in the privacy of their homes, "just don't bring it down in the street and scare my horses."

But his frenetic style wore out the staff. By the end of the shift, Elvis and Animal had fallen silent and Roth was the only one laughing at his own jokes.

Unfortunately for listeners, the largest segment of the morning was an exercise in nepotism. Roth brought on his Uncle Manny who founded the Cafe Wha?, the cafe-nightclub that is a landmark in Greenwich Village.

Listening to an 86-year-old phlegmily recount World War II stories and beatnik days in the Village for more than an hour might pass muster on NPR, but it hardly seems like the stuff of rock radio. "This is amazing," Roth repeatedly said of his uncle's anecdotes.

That was wishful thinking.

Still, in his first outing, Roth, a natural monologuist, showed potential as an interviewer, despite an apparent need to top every story. He was noticeably curt with his callers, but then most radio personalities are. His hosting style is certainly jazzy. "What's cooking?" he greeted callers. The liveliest interlude was when he sang along rowdily to a Rod Stewart song.

The question with Roth is whether he can keep up the pace. He confessed that he had stayed up all night for his antic debut. We'll see how he sounds after a month of predawn wake-up calls, when he has exhausted his store of tales.

If, in fact, Roth didn't use himself up yesterday, this could be interesting. But he's going to have to learn to vary his shtick and to draw out his supporting cast more.

Otherwise, four hours of airtime a day will seem like an eternity - even for the King of Glib.

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 10:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Goe bAK t2o ur TRiB/AL HoME/LAND tHet ye shud/DA nevah hav lefFT iN DA FIR1ST PLaCE.. .BILE YER HIED!

DiS iS aN AMeR/RICAN WeBSi/TE!

WHEeR'S MMMY PoOST? ?

A Post daT dOezn't vIO/Late AnY ViOLA/TiNG ViOLATIONZ,, NUMPTY!/!

AnD gET MmmE Sum COf/FFEE,, ,ReMEMBA, , U WeRK F4OR US NoW!

NuM/PTY!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Technically, it's now a Scottish site.

Your post violated my brain, as I was trying to read it.

You caused me to delete the whole fucking thread, by accident.

Now quit fucking up these threads with that ghey ass rainbow text you're so fond of, and work so hard to post.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

David Lee Roth jumps right in: Van Halen icon hopes to rock Stern’s old slot

By Sean L. McCarthy
    Monday, January 2, 2006 - Updated: 10:05 AM EST

How do you replace a morning radio icon?

With a rock icon.

Former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth puts that theory to the test tomorrow morning, filling Howard Stern’s slot on CBS Radio’s East Coast affiliates, including WBCN-FM (104.1).

Roth had two weeks of on-air practice last year, including a stint on sister station WZLX-FM (100.7). But Roth said he didn’t learn anything about radio that he didn’t already know.

“I don’t think you can get ready for a job like this,” he said. “It’s not even a job. You either are like this, or you aren’t. Howard Stern spent the last 20 years basically in a small little room with no windows. I’ve spent the last 30 years off leading a life of crime and international intrigue. At least that’s what I write on my resume.”

At 51, Diamond Dave still has spunk. He doesn’t hesitate to mention his skills as a martial artist and emergency medical technician. And he seems unconcerned about filling Stern’s big shoes.

“I’m a single voice that can combine and single-handedly outrage both the extreme liberal left, of which I’m a card-carrying member, and the NASCAR nation,” he said. “And yes, I am one of the great unwashed, according to Faulkner.”

Many bios of Roth, including the one on his Web page, gloss over his childhood years in Massachusetts. Roth acknowledged that he lived in Swampscott and Brookline for five years during the 1960s, attended synagogue here and had his first onstage experience in Lawrence.

Roth plans to bring his show to Boston from time to time. He said radio needs to break free from the studio and that his 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. show each weekday will have no set rules — one morning could be all music, the next all talk.

But will it work?

Don Kelley, programming vice president for Greater Media’s five Boston stations, said Roth’s inexperience raises questions.

“We had a Philadelphia station that had Dee Snider (of Twisted Sister) doing nights for a while. He’s an interesting interview, but he can’t do talk for four hours a night,” Kelley said.

WBCN general manager Mark Hannon said people shouldn’t be too quick to judge Roth. “People have somewhat typecast him because they know him first and foremost as a musician and a rock star,” he said. “I think people will be curious. And I think they’ll be pleasantly surprised when they hear from him.”

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

RADIO
    Roth takes over Stern's mike on Tuesday

Monday, January 02, 2006
    Julie E. Washington
    Plain Dealer Reporter

There's no predicting what it will sound like when David Lee Roth jumps on radio Tuesday morning.

Roth takes over the giant microphone left behind by Sirius Satellite Radio's new standard-bearer, Howard Stern. Roth's reign begins with a 6-to-10 a.m. stint, heard locally on WNCX FM/98.5.

Stern's successor is getting a tattered throne -- fewer stations, Federal Communications Commission scrutiny and constant comparisons with the person who used to sit there. Other entertainers, including Jon Stewart and Danny Bonaduce, said no thanks, according to a press report.

But Roth's ego and optimism refuse to allow him to contemplate defeat -- or reveal his plans for the show. It doesn't even have an official name yet.

Calling last week from New York, where the show will originate, the former Van Halen frontman predicted his debut would be "the best day of my life," "a thunderbolt in your Pop-Tarts" and "a good excuse to put bourbon in your coffee."

Roth, 51, emphasized that he intends to make the show his own.

"The only thing I have in common with Howard Stern is Hanukkah," Roth said.

The man who speaks several languages and is an author, world traveler, helicopter pilot student and EMS technician said his preparation for radio goes back to his boyhood days of telling stories around campfires.

"My entire life is very, very different" from other radio hosts, he said. "You simply have to have positioned yourself. You can't go to school for this. Can't fake it."

He hinted that future guests might include potty-mouthed comic Sarah Silverman, former President Bill Clinton or one-time Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss. What about Eddie Van Halen, who has famously feuded with Roth?

"I've already called," Roth said, but there are still hurt feelings. "Eddie's off in his own world."

Roth said the radio gig doesn't mean that his music career is over. He expects the show to travel all over the country, meaning that if he tours, the show will go with him.

The show may travel from coast to coast, but Infinity Broadcasting -- now called CBS Radio -- chose to air Roth only in the eastern part of the country.

Roth will be heard in Cleveland, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Dallas and West Palm Beach, Fla.

Comedian Adam Carolla replaces Stern in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Portland, Ore.

Rover, morning DJ for WXTM FM/92.3, will replace Stern in Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Memphis and Rochester, N.Y. Rover's Cleveland local listeners will still find him on "92.3 Xtreme."

Many Stern listeners undoubtedly will follow him to satellite radio. His last live broadcast on terrestrial radio was Dec. 16. But CBS Radio expects the Roth Army to fall in line behind their man.

Roth was born in Bloomington, Ind., and grew up in Los Angeles. As Van Halen's original lead singer, he cultivated a reputation for nonstop debauchery and a larger-than-life personality.

Van Halen released its first album in the late 1970s. Roth left the band for a solo career in the mid-1980s, and briefly reunited with Van Halen years later. He released a CD with another group, the DLR Band, in 1998.

So is a radio career a step up -- or down -- from being a rock star? Roth noted that he'll have millions more listeners than the Rolling Stones can fit into one stadium.

"My show is the best thing to ever happen to your hangover," he quipped.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2023 @ 11:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks so much for posting this! Awesome!! Keep ' em coming!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Stay tuned!

12. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Vuelto Loco! (01-05-2016)

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-12-2020 @ 04:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Big THANX! FOR THE WHOLE THING. a real treat.

14. Thanked greentreee for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (02-17-2016)

Thread Information