DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    We should change the name of this site to The DLR Salad Tossing Army.
    it basically says that now
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (01-22-2016)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Hands up who pissed in vonzilla's cornflakes
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-22-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Well, you Dave apologists can cuntinue to absolve Dave from any responsibility in the demise of Van Halen, but I'm not buying the bullshit. All Ed has ever done is sit in his fucking studio and make music. So, in late '84 early '85 he just decided to stop? But yet he came out with an album a mere 2 months after Dave quit the band? Dave sat on David Letterman in January of 1985, and told Dave they'd have an album out in 1985. Guess what? Ed did have one out in '85. Barely two fucking months after Dave's appearance on Letterman. Sure as fuck doesn't sound to me like a guy that isn't doing any work! Oh wait, Hagar came in and recorded the album in the middle of the night, because that's the only time Ed would work, right?

Yeah boy. Dave was busting his fucking ass. Putting out an EP of cover songs, and working on a movie deal that never came to fruition.

We should change the name of this site to The DLR Salad Tossing Army.
    5150 was released in March of '86. And Ed didn't have the songs in the can, waiting for lyrics. I'm not making excuses for Dave - just explaining what he said went down. Should he have stuck around? Well, Dave has said himself that leaving was a mistake.

Like I said, there's some truth to what both Ed and Dave said about the reasons for the split. But what it all boils down to is neither one of them wanted to stick it out. And IF Ed's side of the story is the only truth there, then no wonder him and Al and Mike slammed the shit out of Dave.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Hands up who pissed in vonzilla's cornflakes
    His favorite nurse at the Old Coot's Home quit yesterday. Now he's got some dude giving him sponge baths. I wasn't supposed to say anything but it's obvious it's taking a toll on him.

7. 3 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (01-21-2016),Von Halen (01-21-2016),ZahZoo (01-22-2016)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    His favorite nurse at the Old Coot's Home quit yesterday. Now he's got some dude giving him sponge baths. I wasn't supposed to say anything but it's obvious it's taking a toll on him.
    ilickthingswiththings gotta job stateside?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    ilickthingswiththings gotta job stateside?
    Worse. It's a black dude.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,999 Posts

5150 was released in March of '86. And Ed didn't have the songs in the can, waiting for lyrics. I'm not making excuses for Dave - just explaining what he said went down. Should he have stuck around? Well, Dave has said himself that leaving was a mistake.

Like I said, there's some truth to what both Ed and Dave said about the reasons for the split. But what it all boils down to is neither one of them wanted to stick it out. And IF Ed's side of the story is the only truth there, then no wonder him and Al and Mike slammed the shit out of Dave.
    If the '84 show is the only real VH show you ever saw, I can see why someone would think it was the greatest thing ever. As far as the massiveness of the stage show, it was. However, compared to the other tours, the flow of the show sucked fucking ass. It had become the David Lee Roth costume change tour. Now, watching bootlegs of these shows, you don't really get that vibe. But after experiencing the previous shows, it was kind of a let down to have Dave fucking around so much, constantly running off stage to change outfits. I don't blame the rest of the band, if they were sick of Dave trying to make it all about him. You see how far that went with the EEAS band, and exactly how long that lasted too.

Look at the continuity of the members of Dave's bands, compared to VH up until the first time Clichegar left. Hell, look at the amount of people Dave has not only had as band members, but employees or "friends" in general, over the years. Name some people that ever had anything to do with Dave, that still has anything to do with him, today. The Van Halen's? At this point, that seems to be in question, yet again. John 5? Yeah, but he only has to deal with him in small doses. Vai and Sheehan? They have nothing to do with the guy, other than this failed EEAS anniversary. Why is it, this guy goes through people, like most people go through socks? Because he can? Really? Can he?

Sit back and run through all the names of people ever associated with this guy. You'll be shocked at how many carcasses he's left in his wake.

11. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-22-2016),Terry (01-22-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If the '84 show is the only real VH show you ever saw, I can see why someone would think it was the greatest thing ever. As far as the massiveness of the stage show, it was. However, compared to the other tours, the flow of the show sucked fucking ass. It had become the David Lee Roth costume change tour. Now, watching bootlegs of these shows, you don't really get that vibe. But after experiencing the previous shows, it was kind of a let down to have Dave fucking around so much, constantly running off stage to change outfits. I don't blame the rest of the band, if they were sick of Dave trying to make it all about him. You see how far that went with the EEAS band, and exactly how long that lasted too.

Look at the continuity of the members of Dave's bands, compared to VH up until the first time Clichegar left. Hell, look at the amount of people Dave has not only had as band members, but employees or "friends" in general, over the years. Name some people that ever had anything to do with Dave, that still has anything to do with him, today. The Van Halen's? At this point, that seems to be in question, yet again. John 5? Yeah, but he only has to deal with him in small doses. Vai and Sheehan? They have nothing to do with the guy, other than this failed EEAS anniversary. Why is it, this guy goes through people, like most people go through socks? Because he can? Really? Can he?

Sit back and run through all the names of people ever associated with this guy. You'll be shocked at how many carcasses he's left in his wake.
    No, that's all true. But all I was talking about is the split from Van Halen. I said he used Ed's alleged slackness as an excuse to jump ship. The thing is, from every one of those guys' points of view at the time - it was the other guy's fault. Then Sam comes song and has the same experience with a too drunk to record Ed. So there's some truth in there.

Now, was there such a sense of urgency to get something else put out immediately after they had wrapped up the '84 tour. Not really. Did Dave think so? Maybe. But more than likely he looked at the whole thing as the perfect opportunity and time to split and continue his reign or whatever you wanna call it. Plus he was probably convinced the movie would be a hit since the Van Halen videos and his CFTH videos were all hits. But if you read the script, holy shit is it stupid.

Anyway, if it really was all Dave then I don't blame the band for talking all the shit they wanted to about him. Bottom line is he quit - regardless of the reasons.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Those guys had pretty much been dealing with each other for 20 plus years at that point. I have no doubt they were all sick of each other. But Dave has been through many more people in general, than the rest of the guys combined. As far as Sammy, how many albums did they make with him? How long was it, before Ed was too drunk and high to do anything? It sure as hell wasn't close to 1985.

I think Dave thought he was Van Halen. I think Dave thought it would be easy to go from a 3 to 5 minute video, to a movie. I think Dave thought he could slap any band together, and maintain the same success he had in VH. I think Ed and the rest of the guys were blindsided by this. I think Dave found out fairly quickly, he was wrong. I think Dave has regretted it ever since. But I don't think Dave has regretted it enough to change his ways. I think Dave is as hard to get along with, as he was way back in the early 70's, when these guys tried their hardest not to ever let him in the band. That's my opinion.

14. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-22-2016)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think Dave just made a huge mistake trying not too really be a rock star anymore. Well music wise anyway. Eat Em sure was,and was well received but then at the height of 80's Rock Skyscraper was well, all over the place ! Interesting but not straight up rock you would expect from him. Think it's the reason Billy left. Dave saying dance music was going too be the new thing ? Huh ? So what! You are a rock guy ! It's probably why Vai left even though Skyscraper was musically more his ideas. Well people didn't care for that style from Dave. There goes one band. Then comes Becker. Great fun album. Hell Dave did the right thing. But it was too late. Grunge was taking over. Then Becker gets sick. The tour isn't as big, gets cancelled in some places. Then he really screws up with Filthy Mouth. It's a blues pop album or something ? Sure he knew grunge was the new thing but why change who you are ? it sure as hell didn't make things better for him. He would have been better off staying away for awhile then doing that right turn. After that he did disappear for awhile. Hell even VH was done at that point. There wasn't much interest in either by 1999 when Dave started touring again on his own. They blew it big time in 1996. It was the only thing that would have worked anymore and it took almost 10 years for them too figure that out. But yeah I see your point. LOL ! I do also think it took Dave leaving to kick Eddie in the ass and get working as fast as he did. So I do believe Dave on that point. Hell he said the main reason he left was those two were drunk half the time. He wanted too get going. They didn't seem interested in the same pace. Until he split.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 01-21-2016 at 05:58 PM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Those guys had pretty much been dealing with each other for 20 plus years at that point. I have no doubt they were all sick of each other. But Dave has been through many more people in general, than the rest of the guys combined. As far as Sammy, how many albums did they make with him? How long was it, before Ed was too drunk and high to do anything? It sure as hell wasn't close to 1985.

I think Dave thought he was Van Halen. I think Dave thought it would be easy to go from a 3 to 5 minute video, to a movie. I think Dave thought he could slap any band together, and maintain the same success he had in VH. I think Ed and the rest of the guys were blindsided by this. I think Dave found out fairly quickly, he was wrong. I think Dave has regretted it ever since. But I don't think Dave has regretted it enough to change his ways. I think Dave is as hard to get along with, as he was way back in the early 70's, when these guys tried their hardest not to ever let him in the band. That's my opinion.

I'd wager it was 3 equal parts asshole - Dave, Ed and don't forget Al....

Dave's ego, Ed's selfishness, and Al's siding with Ed.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I'd wager it was 3 equal parts asshole - Dave, Ed and don't forget Al....

Dave's ego, Ed's selfishness, and Al's siding with Ed.....
    Takes 3 to tango?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Takes 3 to tango?
    Basically....

But yeah, I recall those times during the '84 Tour shows when Dave would be doing the samurai sword & kata moves that it was starting to go overboard.....

You bring up a good point with those previous tours, though.... Had to be a much more raw, more music, less schtick.....

That said, I don't know about everywhere else on the '84 Tour, but when I saw them in their backyard in San Diego, it was an absolute frenzy.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,401 Times in 6,056 Posts

Yeah, exactly. Aside from the lyrics, I wonder just how different the songs would have been had Dave worked on them rather than Slappy. Sam's said that he had to take Ed's bits and pieces of music and turn them into songs and I think Dave has said the same thing. There's an interview with Al and Ed from right after Gary joined where Ed talks about how much he hates DTNA because it was Dave's idea to change it to have the whole Latin vibe. Things like that have always made me wonder if - as Sammy has said - Ed just shows up with riffs and bits of music and then Dave, and later Sam, had to turn those pieces into full blown songs.

This is one of the reasons I wish they'd do a Classic Albums series of shows. I've always wanted to know all the little details of how those songs came together, aside from the ones they already basically had in the can before they walked into the studio. And when I talk about releasing the old stuff, I'm talking about any video they shot in the studio while they were recording too. If there is any.
    It's not just the lyrics in the vocal melodies which is in essence the song, the hook and so on.

I think when Hagar joined the band the producer guy Jones from Foreigner then wrote the vocal melodies over Ed's music hence the shitty AOR vibe with Hagar adding his wonderful lyics.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well said, Rip Von Winkel. I couldn't agree more.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Takes 3 to tango?
    It takes 3 to Spit Roast™®

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 02:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    It's probably why Vai left even though Skyscraper was musically more his ideas. Well people didn't care for that style from Dave.
    Vai had a solo spot on the Skyscraper tour that he called Sunspots:

While touring with Roth, Vai worked up some stunning solo turns, such as “Sunspots,” which (rock critic/writer) Matt Resnicoff called “six gripping minutes where [Vai] sailed over a spacey groove, eventually laying the instrument on its back and continuing to play as he sprawled on his stomach behind it and pushed across the stage, finally slumping over it, drained, in a corner as the last strangled notes echoed into the hall. It was incredible.”
    At some point during the tour Dave pulled the solo from the set. Vai supposedly got fed up and left, releasing Passion and Warfare next.

Sheehan allegedly left because of the use of synth bass on Skyscraper. That, and that Vai, Dave, and Tuggle "mashed the songs in the computer," as Vai put it. Some of Skyscraper was done on early Macs.

I have always said that Dave was campaigning to get back into Van Halen as soon as the day after he left. Even though he'd slam the brothers in interviews there always seemed to be some feeling that he knew he fucked up.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Vai leaving DLR to go to Whitesnake was like a sports transfer at the time.

He was just moving to a bigger team for more money. The deal I remember as was publicised at the time was that Whitesnake(Coverdale) offered him $1 million plus a solo album.

It raised Vai's profile a lot and allowed him to do what he wanted for the rest of his career. It's really difficult to argue with that.

The Whitesnake album they produced was incredibly forgettable and mediocre but the tour would have made everyone money just getting in under the wire.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-22-2016 at 12:29 AM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not only that but I'm pretty sure Vai asked for complete control over the guitar parts and it wasn't too hard to grant him that considering Vandenberg had hurt his hand doing isometric exercises and couldn't play for a while anyways.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Vai leaving DLR to go to Whitesnake was like a sports transfer at the time.

He was just moving to a bigger team for more money. The deal I remember as was publicised at the time was that Whitesnake(Coverdale) offered him $1 million plus a solo album.

It raised Vai's profile a lot and allowed him to do what he wanted for the rest of his career. It's really difficult to argue with that.

The Whitesnake album they produced was incredibly forgettable and mediocre but the tour would have made everyone money just getting in under the wire.
    I have no recollection of that record. So I suppose it was forgettable. Then again, I don't know most of the music you people talk about.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries

Yeah, sadly the 1984 tour was (due to my own age relative to when CVH was active) the only tour I got to see CVH on. I say sadly because even just from listening to bootlegs of other tours I can say that the 1984 wasn't exactly CVH at their most effective live. In terms of the massiveness of the stage show, the 1984 WAS probably one of the best stage productions I saw during the peak of my concert-going years (which was basically 1983 to 1986, in terms of seeing 1/2 dozen to a dozen shows a year). Just watch the Montreal 1984 bootleg from start-to-finish: it's a few songs, then a drum solo, then a few songs, then a bass solo, a few songs, then a Dave samurai dance routine, a few songs, then a LONG segment of Dave rapping with audience (as opposed to a half dozen other shorter Dave raps between the other songs in the set), a few more songs then a 15 minute guitar solo then a couple more songs and they're done. Put it this way: in 1984 Van Halen was by far my favorite band, but even back then I thought the RJD Last In Line Tour and the Maiden Powerslave tour shows I saw were quite a bit better: just as good as Van Halen in terms of the stage production and far less instrumental solo/rapping with the audience bullshit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    No, that's all true. But all I was talking about is the split from Van Halen. I said he used Ed's alleged slackness as an excuse to jump ship. The thing is, from every one of those guys' points of view at the time - it was the other guy's fault. Then Sam comes song and has the same experience with a too drunk to record Ed. So there's some truth in there.

Now, was there such a sense of urgency to get something else put out immediately after they had wrapped up the '84 tour. Not really. Did Dave think so? Maybe. But more than likely he looked at the whole thing as the perfect opportunity and time to split and continue his reign or whatever you wanna call it. Plus he was probably convinced the movie would be a hit since the Van Halen videos and his CFTH videos were all hits. But if you read the script, holy shit is it stupid.

Anyway, if it really was all Dave then I don't blame the band for talking all the shit they wanted to about him. Bottom line is he quit - regardless of the reasons.
    I think it's like Von, 78/84, Va Beach, Sesh and twona said.

By the time 1984 rolled around, the rest of Van Halen were just sick of Dave and Dave was just tired of dealing with them.

If you read and watch interviews Dave and Ed gave as the band became more and more successful, a lot of the remarks each gave about the other were sort of diplomatically complimentary while at times barely masking a thinly concealed contempt. The whole making of the 1984 album was a disjointed experience in terms of how the band was interacting. And now you read in Van Halen Rising how while the Van Halens had a grudging respect for Roth's abilities as an entertainer and performer, they had nowhere near that level of respect for Roth's abilities as a singer from the beginning. And it wouldn't be a shot in the dark to suggest that by the time 1984 rolled around, Ed was plain tired of being told where the band had to record, what songs to play (a la Diver Down's multiple cover tunes), what type of music to play ("hey, man, nobody wants to hear you play keyboards"), when to tour and how long, when and what type of music videos to do, and on and on. And by the time 1984 rolled around Ed had won every music magazine poll in the world for top rock guitarist and had doubtless read more than a few critiques of the band which flatly stated that Roth was a goofball clown showoff and him fronting the band would always relegate Van Halen to little more than a party rock band with a great guitarist.

And I'll bet by the time 1984 and 1985 rolled around, Roth was getting tired of dealing with the Van Halens and feeling like he was the only one pulling the load in terms of designing the stage sets, designing the wardrobe, designing the tour programs, designing the t-shirts, choreographing Mike Anthony's bass solo, giving the bulk of the interviews to non-guitar mag outlets all the while having to play with these guys who he doesn't even get along with and never did. Once the CFTH vids started getting heavy rotation and he was at the peak of his own personal celebrity with a potential movie deal in hand, probably the thought of having to continue dealing with the rest of Van Halen and all the tension that entailed was less than appealing. Maybe all of that could have been surmounted if the 5150 rehearsals were heralding promising new music, but even the musical direction was no longer satisfying to Roth at that point.

Roth bailed in 1985. He quit. No doubt about that.

I mean, back in 1985 it felt like a shame the band was breaking up because it felt like there was still plenty of good music left to come. The reality, looking back now, is perhaps a bit different in that it feels like the band were lucky to have lasted as long as they did. They had 6 productive years together from the release of their first album, and that life span is pretty much what a lot of rock bands have in terms of the definitive lineup(s) producing really exceptional music that defines the best of a band's career, give or take a few years.

28. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (01-22-2016)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    If the '84 show is the only real VH show you ever saw, I can see why someone would think it was the greatest thing ever.
    78-83 was the best of the best for Van Halen live shows... I'd put the 81 Fair Warning Tour tops with the Hide your Sheep a strong number 2!!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-09-2020 @ 09:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Not only that but I'm pretty sure Vai asked for complete control over the guitar parts and it wasn't too hard to grant him that considering Vandenberg had hurt his hand doing isometric exercises and couldn't play for a while anyways.
    Yes and more

I love slip of the tongue" but it was like listen Vai stuffs solo on a Whitesnake record ! it doesn' work! Vai didn't play blues !
    Last edited by vaijuju; 01-22-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-09-2020 @ 09:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That show was broadcast live on BBC Radio 1 back when that really meant something.

I got to the pub afterwards and my non rock fan pals were all raving about some new amazing guitarist they had just heard on the radio.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post
    Yes and more

I love slip of the tongue" but it was like listen Vai stuffs solo on a Whitesnake record ! it doesn' work! Vai didn't play blues !
    There's some good stuff on there. And even though The Deeper The Love is a ballad the solo is good.

I like Vai's tone around that time. His tone on Sex and Religion sounds so thin and fragile to me.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think it's like Von, 78/84, Va Beach, Sesh and twona said.

I mean, back in 1985 it felt like a shame the band was breaking up because it felt like there was still plenty of good music left to come. The reality, looking back now, is perhaps a bit different in that it feels like the band were lucky to have lasted as long as they did. They had 6 productive years together from the release of their first album, and that life span is pretty much what a lot of rock bands have in terms of the definitive lineup(s) producing really exceptional music that defines the best of a band's career, give or take a few years.
    The Beatles only had 6 years as well but the crucial difference is that they didn't replace John Lennon with Morris Albert, keep the same name and spend the 1970s churning out cheesy drivel.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    There's some good stuff on there. And even though The Deeper The Love is a ballad the solo is good.

Have you noticed that all the Whitesnake songs around that time happened at night?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Beatles only had 6 years as well but the crucial difference is that they didn't replace John Lennon with Morris Albert, keep the same name and spend the 1970s churning out cheesy drivel.
    The Beatles spent all 6 years churning out cheesy drivel!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I knew you would love that post.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    ...And by the time 1984 rolled around Ed had won every music magazine poll in the world for top rock guitarist and had doubtless read more than a few critiques of the band which flatly stated that Roth was a goofball clown showoff and him fronting the band would always relegate Van Halen to little more than a party rock band with a great guitarist
    Kinda makes me wonder if Dave ever asked Ed, "hey, what's with the NO BOZOS shirt?"

39. 5 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (01-22-2016),qikgts (01-22-2016),Seshmeister (01-22-2016),Terry (01-22-2016),vandeleur (01-22-2016)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ah, it was understandable that Mike and the VH faggity brothers were talking shit about Dave after the split. It would be kinda like the Panthers making it to the Super Bowl and the quarterback up and quits the day before the game. Dave split and left them high and dry. Of course, Ed couldn't see that his complete refusal to work was one of the main reasons Roth split. But it's kinda like when your old lady runs off and everybody thought y'all were a great couple but the truth was the complete opposite. Most guys look around and say well fuck her, it was all her fault anyway. Typical denial. But in this case Ed and Al had the media up their asses and they took every opportunity to tell everybody just how much Dave sucked and how awesome their new singer was. Which became Ed's pattern thereafter - Gary is my brother! This is the best version of VH!

Then you toss Slappy in the mix, he already didn't like Dave, and so he jumped on the bandwagon with the brothers and Mike. Nothing surprising there.

People forget that Dave was already hinting that he was gonna split before it went down. His whole hot dog or little weenie comments were just that. Bottom line was they were all idiots. These guys had it all and could have dominated rock throughout the 80s and after. But instead they all cried about how the other guy got too much attention and how this guy was a dick. People always say Sammy killed Van Halen. Nah, Ed, Al, Dave, and Mike killed Van Halen.
    It's all Val's fault ...

I was reading the Chrissie Hynde autobiography recently and there's something in there where Eddie is partying with The Pretenders back at their hotel somewhere in Germany:

"We were all hanging around the suite in the hotel when we overheard Eddie on the phone to his wife, saying something that would elevate him in the eyes of the band for its definitive catchphrase content: 'No, I'm not having a good time!'

The band loved that, and it was referred to endlessley from then on. It was always necessary to play down any merriment when a guy called home to an overworked wife dealing with the domestics on her own. 'No, I'm not having a good time!'"

41. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (01-22-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

John Lennon sucked cock and I'm glad he died. Fuckin filthy hippie!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Granted, although I was basically referring to the only lineup of Van Halen that ever mattered to me...plus, McCartney turned out enough cheesy drivel in the 1970s that one would be forgiven for thinking they HAD fired Lennon and replaced him with Morris Albert...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

John Lennon sucked cock and I'm glad he died. Fuckin filthy hippie!!
    I know you're a humorist, but what an awful thing to say. Save that shit for bedroom jihadists and the like.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I know you're a humorist, but what an awful thing to say. Save that shit for bedroom jihadists and the like.
    Wow.

I do use humor to poke fun at all the seriousness in the world today. But Lennon was a no talent piece of shit hippie. So fuck him. Fuck him and his no talent wife. The guy was the King Of Hippies and I hate hippies. I hate that stupid Imagine song and I hate John Lennon.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Good to see ya scraps

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow.

I do use humor to poke fun at all the seriousness in the world today. But Lennon was a no talent piece of shit hippie. So fuck him. Fuck him and his no talent wife. The guy was the King Of Hippies and I hate hippies. I hate that stupid Imagine song and I hate John Lennon.

You're entitled to dislike all you want, of course. Glad he's dead? Wow.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    You're entitled to dislike all you want, of course. Glad he's dead? Wow.
    Dude - I didn't kill him.

Lennon is up there with Cobain so far as I'm concerned. Two no talent pieces of shit who did, well, nothing. I hate hippies and I hate their Hippie King. The whole retarded-dope-smoking-drum-circle Klan can all go die for all I care. All they wanted to do is destroy this country and damn if they didn't get their wish.

So fuck every goddamn hippie on this planet and fuck John Lennon's filthy corpse. Stinking hippie piece of shit...

Thread Information