Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just release the John 5 LP already...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Ok. Well nothing in that description says "Broadway musical", to me.
    Dave says he went and saw Book Of Mormon and then ran home and cranked out the record with John 5. Book Of Mormon is a Broadway musical. And Dave's own words say he wrote a musical and then talks about how it's the story of his life lol. He's saying its a Broadway musical album that would be the music for the show.

Now, having said that, we're talking about Dave saying all this. It's probably all bullshit. But that's what he said and he couldn't have made it any clearer, what he said the record was. Does that mean that's what it is? Hell no! The guy says whatever he thinks people want to hear.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

I think I don't give a fuck. I just want to hear it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (01-30-2016),DavidLeeNatra (01-30-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think I don't give a fuck. I just want to hear it.
    I agree. Was just posting what Dave said about it, you grumpy old homo

5. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (01-30-2016)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

No...it says "concept album"...which is far worse...

7. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (01-30-2016)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    No...it says "concept album"...which is far worse...
    A concept album based on the Book of Mormon? Nah, it's been done......

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe we get Dave 's vision of "The Elder"...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

I've never heard that record, believe it or not. Gave up on KISS after the Disco Dynasty album, and other then the few singles which made it onto the radio or MTV (most of which were horrible) I pretty much ignored them until the Unplugged show in 1995, which of course spawned the reunion tour.

My friend who was a KiSS fanatic told me The Elder sucked, so I figured if he hated it, I wouldn't even bother trying to listen.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I've never heard that record, believe it or not. Gave up on KISS after the Disco Dynasty album, and other then the few singles which made it onto the radio or MTV (most of which were horrible) I pretty much ignored them until the Unplugged show in 1995, which of course spawned the reunion tour.

My friend who was a KiSS fanatic told me The Elder sucked, so I figured if he hated it, I wouldn't even bother trying to listen.
    Never listened to it either. Revange wasn't that bad. And I admit that I bought Psycho Circus out of curiosity. It sucked...so did the 3D concert but I wanted to see the original line up for once.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Exactly... Dave said "jukebox musical".

Which equates to an Expressway Musical™... something more fittingly inspired by life under a highway overpass in some rundown industrial area of the central California valley near Bakersfield... Geographically speaking this would be Dave's fertile inspirational ground in a way like the Mississippi Delta was to Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and other great artistic visionaries...
    Last edited by ZahZoo; 01-30-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Because I can...

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

Which equates to an Expressway Musical™... something more fittingly inspired by life under a highway overpass in some rundown industrial area of the central California valley near Bakersfield... Geographically speaking this would be Dave's fertile inspirational ground in a way like the Mississippi Delta was to Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and other great artistic visionaries...
    and ace diamond

14. Thanked PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (01-30-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

Nice post. It reminds me that all you guys should read Van Halen - Exuberant California Zen Rock 'N Roll. If you haven't read it, trust me - it's really, really good. Delves into areas that ZZ's post reminds me of

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    When I think about a couple of the comments Ed made last year, which were along the lines of "Dave does not want to be my friend" and "I'd like to make new music but there are 4 of us in the band: three of us like rock and roll and one of us likes dance music...and Dave does not want to come to the table"...maybe another Van Halen album with Roth on vocals just isn't in the cards.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Roth chose not to do anything he thinks would upset the apple cart, like releasing a new solo album, and potentially derail his prospects of future tours with Van Halen.

If I'm looking at the facts, Roth's last 2 full length solo album releases of new original material or newly recorded material didn't sell well. Maybe 100-200k units per release, with 200k units probably being a generous estimate. If I'm Dave at this point in his career, am I going to want to release a solo project with John 5 that might sell 50,000 copies and possibly threaten my day job with Van Halen? Even if the EEAS lineup reunited and recorded a new album, how many records would that sell today?

If I'm Dave and it's a choice between going back to what he was doing commercially from 1999 to 2006 in terms of albums sold and venue sizes played (keeping in mind that the highest-profile thing he did during those years was a combo tour with Sammy Hagar) as opposed to the safe and lucrative gig of being Van Halen's lead singer, it's a no-fuckin'-brainer. Mostly because Dave knows this isn't 1985 anymore: if he leaves Van Halen again, he ain't gonna be filling arenas solely on the strength of his own name THIS time around even if he DID get Sheehan and Vai back onstage with him. He's gonna go right back to 1,000 seat venues and being somewhere on the bill at various Ribfests and State Fairs/Expos. That's not a slam against Dave, but just a hard dose of reality. If anyone thinks it would be any different, you're only deluding yourselves.

If you're Dave, do you want to end your career playing good-sized venues with a nice, fat guaranteed paycheck every night fronting Van Halen? Or do you want to end your career being the headlining act at The House Of Blues in Orlando, Florida? Personally, one of the better Roth shows I've seen in recent years was at the Hard Rock Café in Universal Studios, Orlando. Has a capacity of 3,000. Roth played a GREAT solo show there in 2006. I actually enjoyed that show better than the Van Halen show I saw in Tampa a couple of years later. As a fan, I'd much rather see Roth in a smaller venue. However, if I'm putting myself in Roth's shoes, I think I'd opt for the bigger paycheck.

17. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (02-01-2016),Edwards3rdWife (02-01-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

The other side of the argument is he now has his 'fuck you' money restocked.

The reunion tours with Van Halen probably netted him 7 figures so he can do what he wants.

There is an argument that could be made that they split up first time around the minute they all had their 'fuck you' money.

19. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-31-2016)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, today on social media an image of Dave was posted visiting a competition rodeo in California and the dude looks happy... as a Dave fan, that made me think that maybe that LP might see the light of day

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Terry, you're forgetting one thing. It's not entirely Dave's choice whether he fronts VH, or not. I don't think Dave has to worry about "upsetting the apple cart". Ed will either sign Dave to another contract, or he won't. I'm betting he won't.

No way there will be a full blown EEAS reunion, that includes an album. I'll be surprised if they ever even reschedule that gig. I don't think there is any way in hell, that at this point in their careers, Vai or Sheehan will be willing to deal with Dave for any length of time.

I am with you on the smaller venues. I'd rather see any band with Dave, in a smaller venue.

Time will tell. Unfortunately at the pace these guys move, it will be a lengthy amount of time. Many more rock stars will probably drop dead before these dumbfuck a ever do anything again.

22. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (01-31-2016),Terry (01-31-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    The other side of the argument is he now has his 'fuck you' money restocked.

The reunion tours with Van Halen probably netted him 7 figures so he can do what he wants.

There is an argument that could be made that they split up first time around the minute they all had their 'fuck you' money.
    Yeah, all of that may well be true.

The last 3 tours did quite well, so one would guess all of them should be set (although apparently Alex discards wives the way you and I do socks, with the downside being that his wives cost much more to replace) for quite some time.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Terry, you're forgetting one thing. It's not entirely Dave's choice whether he fronts VH, or not. I don't think Dave has to worry about "upsetting the apple cart". Ed will either sign Dave to another contract, or he won't. I'm betting he won't.

No way there will be a full blown EEAS reunion, that includes an album. I'll be surprised if they ever even reschedule that gig. I don't think there is any way in hell, that at this point in their careers, Vai or Sheehan will be willing to deal with Dave for any length of time.

I am with you on the smaller venues. I'd rather see any band with Dave, in a smaller venue.

Time will tell. Unfortunately at the pace these guys move, it will be a lengthy amount of time. Many more rock stars will probably drop dead before these dumbfuck a ever do anything again.
    All valid points.

I'd still tend to think that Roth remembers how releasing his CFTH EP created friction within the band and, while not the key element in the 1985 split, ended up becoming one of many flash points that led to the breakup. Put it this way: at this point there would be no downside to holding off on releasing a new solo project until his contract situation with Van Halen going forward is resolved one way or the other.

I don't really see much REASON for the band to go forward with Roth at this point myself, if it's going to be more of the same that it has been since the ADKOT tour ended. About the only circumstance I'd entertain seeing them again would be if Anthony rejoins the band and reconstitutes the full-on CVH lineup for a last tour. The chances of that happening are probably slim, but even despite everything that has happened I still don't think beyond the realm of possibility (although a Van Hagar lineup reunion might be more probable).

Should CVH reunite, unlike the last Van Halen tour I might not opt to skip seeing THAT.

Then again, if they wait another three years to make a move, I might just as easily no longer give a shit. I didn't care the last time they came around, and that was a first for me.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Seems logical that "a contract situation" may exist... but then again... There's no solid proof that any agreement was inked that covers forward based time elements binding Roth and the Dutch Pricks™.

I believe many of us assume they inked a comprehensive deal. Given the volatility of their past dealings... could very well be they chose a take it, as it goes approach. No future road map... just one-off agreements to divide the spoils when they do agree to do something.

Counting on the Van Halens to continue or not with Roth would involve them actually doing something. I think 2016 is a safe bet nothing gets done...

26. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (01-31-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Should CVH reunite, unlike the last Van Halen tour I might not opt to skip seeing THAT.

Then again, if they wait another three years to make a move, I might just as easily no longer give a shit. I didn't care the last time they came around, and that was a first for me.
    Yeah, that's how I felt when they came to town last year - I just didn't care. Friends were asking me if I was going, the day of the show. And I kept saying I don't know yet, maybe. In the end I wound up skipping the show because I just couldn't get excited about it. I don't know if it's because I hate Ed so much or because I didn't want to pay to see the bass player again (ironically he's probably the only decent person out of the bunch), or if it's just that I'm burned out on the whole thing. We've all spent so much time chasing and arguing about and discussing and hanging on that band's every move that I just kinda don't care anymore. I didn't even watch more than a few of the tour videos, Dave seemed to be doing ok in the ones I watched. But I just didn't want to go to the show and didn't regret missing it. Which, like Terry, was a first for me too

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Here is s wild card option , go make some real money.
    Apart from a couple of Thomas cook city breaks to oz and Japan all they did was sell coals to Newcastle meaning you cynical kuntz.

Go play the rest of the world go join these shitty tours that play Rock in rio and Africa and Saudis Arabia and other ridiculous places , come over to Europe and take our money.
    They could make a fucking fortune flogging the dead horse over here , it's not even a dead horse over here it is seen so seldom it's like a fucking unicorn.

Some financial retard must have thought of don't release new stuff to people who used to love you ,sell the same old shit to new people or at least people who havent seen you since you supported black sabbath .

It a no brainer .... Jeezus, Dave is still funny in South America . Put a wig on wolf and tell us it's Mike we will believe you . Fuck I thought that was daves hair on the skyscraper tour.

All am ranting is there are options that might mean getting off the sofa to make big money on the name , who cares he has played the same solo for 40 years here is my money .
    Last edited by vandeleur; 01-31-2016 at 09:38 AM.

29. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (01-31-2016)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

But hey why make money when sammy has written " I want to lick your sunshine " and " fist pump your starfish" for ed as we speak

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Jeff H posted at the Links yesterday that Dave's self-imposed break from social media is about to come to an end....

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Jeff H posted at the Links yesterday that Dave's self-imposed break from social media is about to come to an end....
    The fans react...

33. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Angel (01-31-2016),Terry (01-31-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It could have come to an end two months ago and we wouldn't have known it, lol. I hope like hell he ain't reviving the Roth Show. Or if he is, at least talk about the shit people want to hear. I can't sit through another 40 minutes of talk about some Vietnorean wrestler or how he consciously mixed elements from a whole buncha gay crap to come up with his fake persona of a poon hound party guy. Just sit there and talk about the VH days and your solo career and break out some of the shit from those years to show us. And take us down to your storage units and let us see shit like the Davesicle (yes I know I misspelled it). And for the people who still think he doesn't own it - you're wrong. He does. And probably a lot of other cool shit. And cut in to clips and video from all those years that hasn't really been released and show it and talk about it too. I know, ooh - Ed might sue him cause he's so scary powerful. Do you know how many years you could drag out a lawsuit like that? Ed would give up or die before Dave ever had to pay a dime.

And he could do shit like drive around LA in the Merc and point out all the places they used to play and hang and stop in at Irv's and he could pretend to be cool and not a fuckin weirdo who sits around in bunny jammies with a bunch of stupid pop tarts and red bull scattered around as if he actually even knows what either one tastes like.

There - I just came up with the most awesome Roth Show ideas ever. I could shoot all that shit in six days and have enough video to post an episode a week for a year. He should hire me. I'd make Von my camera guy and we'd make Dave appear to be cool again.

35. 2 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

Angel (01-31-2016),Edwards3rdWife (02-01-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, Dave's current team (if they haven't been fired yet, they will be soon enough) are working diligently on the next ground breaking, interwebs changing, social media extravaganza for ole Diamond Dave. You will be able to keep up with all of Dave's activities, quarterly. Hopefully it features brilliant stuff like a back yard bbq. Or sitting in the middle of nowhere in a plastic chair. Or maybe Dave will host that stupid fucking dog show all the snooty fucks like to go to. Or maybe there will be new Roth Shows! Holy shit, just think if he gets with the times and comes out with a PODCAST!! Holy fuck, that would be amazing!

Whatever it is, I'm sure it will take not only the interwebs, but the world, by storm.

37. 4 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (01-31-2016),DONNIEP (01-31-2016),Terry (01-31-2016),ZahZoo (01-31-2016)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe it's possible Dave has no interest in returning. He's a lot of things, but I wouldn't say stupid is one of them (well, other than his decision to leave VH in the first place). I have mentioned in the past about Dave's self identity being wrapped up in "Dave Roth, lead singer of VH", but he has to realize that the sun is setting on VH, even if he and EVH were best buds, which they're obviously not. I don't think there's much left to squeeze out of a Dave led VH at this point, although I do think there's enough left in the tank for one more album which I'd like to see. Short of that, do a farewell tour with Mike and call it a day. If Ed then wants to fuck around with a certain capri wearing 70 year old, that's on him.

Oh- and start releasing all that old audio/video shit that's sitting around somewhere collecting dust.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Meh.

Roth used to give interesting interviews, but when it's just him rambling and rambling and rambling on I don't have the patience anymore to extract diamond dust from dogshit/a few interesting anecdotes from 2 hours of him laughing at his own jokes.

I'd just as soon see the guy playing music as long as he is still actually able to do so, rather than have him act out some contrived and outdated rock star stud persona for a podcast or see him ham-handedly playing a role he thinks his shrinking fanbase still wants to believe in, surrounded by models 1/3 his age. It'd be more laughable and sad than anything else.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I know what the fuck the man should do... run for president. Who cares if he wins or not, document the whole thing and make a farce out of what the election really is right now and a get a running mate who is like really fucking hot and make sure she is psychotic and says all kind of wacked out stuff in barley anything you would want to call legit clothes

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I know what the fuck the man should do... run for president. Who cares if he wins or not, document the whole thing and make a farce out of what the election really is right now and a get a running mate who is like really fucking hot and make sure she is psychotic and says all kind of wacked out stuff in barley anything you would want to call legit clothes
    I don't think he'd be interested in a hot chick VP

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't care Donnie, I would be. It is not like Clint Eastwood ever killed anyone (at least to my knowledge) in the actual world and I want to be entertained.... could you imagine the attention horror Spammy would have if Dave jumped out on the biggest stage while all he is advertising is a 'Rock and Roll weekend with old hair bands lol

Thread Information