X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

New Hampshire Primary 2016

As usual, the day starts early in the small town of Dixville, where the polls open at midnight. Democratic results went to Bernie Sanders, as expected. Republicans, on the other hand, had a bit of a surprise........

Sanders, Kasich Win 1st Votes in Tiny NH Community

By The Associated Press

DIXVILLE, N.H. — Feb 9, 2016, 12:37 AM ET

Bernie Sanders and John Kasich picked up the most votes as the first ballots of the first-in-the-nation primary were cast early Tuesday.

Sanders won over all four Democratic voters in the tiny town of Dixville, while Kasich sneaked past Donald Trump, 3-2, among Republicans.

Under New Hampshire state law, communities with fewer than 100 voters can get permission to open their polls at midnight and close them as soon as all registered voters have cast their ballots. While that happened in three locations, Dixville traditionally gets most of the spotlight due to its media-friendly setup at the Balsams Grand Resort Hotel.

Located about 20 miles from the Canadian border, Dixville exists as a town only for voting purposes. Almost all of its nine voters are employees of the hotel, which closed in 2011 but is currently undergoing a major overhaul under new owners.

Former owner Neil Tillotson started the midnight voting tradition in 1960, likely at the suggestion of a news photographer looking for an advantage in getting his pictures out to newspapers ahead of his rivals. For many years, voters cast their ballots in individual booths in the hotel's posh ballot room. Because of the renovations, the nine current residents voted in another building on the property, the Hale House.

In 2012, there was a tie for first place on the Republican side, with Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman getting two votes apiece. All three Democrats voted for Obama.

Hart's Location, about 80 miles south of Dixville, first hosted midnight voting in 1948 but gave it up after the 1964 election when residents grew weary of the late hours and media frenzy every four years. Energized with new blood, town residents revived the tradition in 1996, and this year, the town has 41 registered voters.

Millsfield is also making a comeback this year, though it's unclear just when the town last voted at midnight or when its tradition started. According to a 1952 article in Time magazine, eight residents voted at midnight during the general election that year. This year, there are 22 registered voters.
    Kasich said New Hampshire would be his "make it or break it" state. Hard to draw any conclusion on just 3 out of 5 votes, obviously, but 3/5 of a precinct is obviously better than he did anywhere in Iowa.

As for the unanimous Feeling of the Bern on the Democratic side... gotta love that!
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

I'm about ready to go down the polling place myself.

I'll let you know how busy it is.

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

It was a good crowd in my small little town. I saw a few supporters of Hillary and Sanders standing outside with their signs. I went in and got my ballot and it took all of about 10 minutes. Feels great to vote!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

atta boy thanks for votin'
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Exit poll numbers from NH **not official results**

@ryangrim (Huffpo). Early exit polls
          You should not trust exit polls. But you can read them:
          D
          Sanders 58
          Clinton 42

R
          Trump 32
          Kasich 16
          Cruz 14
          Rubio 12
          Bush 10
          Christie 9
          Let's see if these numbers hold up.... especially in the Diebold precincts......
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Those numbers look about right from all the talk, signs and things I've read about my home state. Bernie is beloved by all the liberals here. Trump signs are everywhere.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Curious that Kasich is coming in the distant second. He's getting more love there than he has in any poll in the course of the primary. If it's only half of Trump's numbers though, will that be enough to keep him in the race. Don't see him doing well among the fundagelicals in South Carolina.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Live numbers here....

Live Election Results, Analysis, and Projections

Looks like Bernie is doing BETTER than the exit polls, actually. So is Trump, for that matter.....
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Hillary should be in prison, not running for president.

I hope women don't vote for her because they are trying to check a box off on their wish list. I could pick a random woman out of the phone book and she would be a better president than Clinton.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Madeline Albright says women will go to Hell if they don't vote for Hillary. And Gloria Steinem said that young women only voted for Bernie because "that's where the boys are".
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                      Madeline Albright says women will go to Hell if they don't vote for Hillary. And Gloria Steinem said that young women only voted for Bernie because "that's where the boys are".
                      Ok, all political disagreements aside - are those not the weirdest statements you've heard?? It's even wackier than Trump's wacky rants!
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, it's absolute desperation is what it is.

It's also not working, because I just read that young women in New Hampshire just voted 82% for Bernie.

If Albright is correct, our friend in the red suit had better be making a lot of room down there.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Albright is senile.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm beginning to think Hillary is as well.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              I'm beginning to think Hillary is as well.
                              No, she's got TBI from banging her head against a wall every time Bill got caught fucking somebody besides her lol
                              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Working...