Thread: Shine On You Crazy Diamond - My DLR Rarities Collection

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    01-01-2024 @ 08:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - My DLR Rarities Collection

I'm sure everyone on here has these songs already, but I've put them all together in a nifty little collection, with individual artwork and info about each track. If this post is breaking any forum rules (I'm too lazy to read), shut 'er down. I'm gonna post this on a couple Roth forums too.

I was inspired to put this together by the last Roth Show podcast, with that killer acoustic blues number "Ain't No Christmas". This is by no means a definitive collection of rarities, but the best of what I could find, in the highest quality possible. If you have a higher quality copy of any of the mp3s included here, feel free to shoot me a PM and I will update the compilation.

https://mega.nz/#!y4ggBAia!06KLUPx50...9JTE15cNL92eLU

Here is the info txt included:

David Lee Roth
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Rare & Unreleased Collection

1. Angel Eyes
    Source: Cherokee Studios Demo
    Quality: lossless
    Info: This unreleased original song was written by David Lee Roth and was believed to be recorded in both 1973 at Cherokee Studios in Chatsworth, CA, and again in 1975 at an unknown location. There is no known public performance of this song, but it was played once backstage for some friends in the band's club days of the mid-1970s. Although they had originally planned to include it on Van Halen II, the band decided against doing so because it was too different from the other songs being recorded for that album.

2. 79th & Sunset
    Source: The Old Testament, Disc 5
    Info: This unaccompanied acoustic Humble Pie cover song was recorded during an interview with Jim Ladd on KMET, Los Angeles, CA, in 1982. At the end of the song, Dave did a plug for KMET, which is not available on any known recordings. The song is sometimes known as "Real Go Getter" or "Cookie Box."

3. Tin Cup Chalice
    Source: http://www.wastinaway.net/audio/DLR-TinCupChalice.mp3
    Quality: 128kbps mp3
    Info: This was recorded live on WRIF 101.1, in Detroit, Michigan on Friday, May 24 2002, the day of the second show of the Roth/Hagar tour.

4. Take Sarava
    Source: http://content.sitezoogle.com.s3.ama...ing/915235.mp3
    Quality: 128kbps mp3
    Info: This was recorded with Jeff Falkowski on an unspecified date. According to Falkowski’s Myspace, he is David Lee Roth’s guitar teacher. They are rumored to have cut a few tracks, but Whether they will surface or not is anybody's guess.

5. The New York City Way
    Source: YouTube (The Roth Show - Top 40...)
    Quality: 192kbps mp3
    Info: One of the songs included in his Top 40... Roth Show podcast from February 22, 2016.

6. Ain't No Christmas
    Source: YouTube (The Roth Show - Top 40...)
    Info: One of the songs included in his Top 40... Roth Show podcast from February 22, 2016. There has been massive spectulation as to whether the lyrics are in reference to Van Halen. Initially when asked for comment, DLR's management told VHND, “It’s poetry. It has nothing to do with Van Halen.” 5 days later, DLR himself told VHND, “On second thought, if all work is autobiographic, maybe this song is about Van Halen…”

7. One Piece Thermo-Molded Country Plastic Chair
    Source: YouTube (The Roth Show: Episode 3)
    Info: A 2012 song from Dave dedicated to all who were affected by and recovering from Hurricane Sandy.

8. Mississippi Power
    Source: She's My Machine CD Single
    Info: This is a "Your Filthy Little Mouth" b-side, released on the "She's My Machine" single.

9. Don't Piss Me Off
    Source: The Best CD
    Info: Recorded in 1997 specifically for "The Best" compilation album.

10. Thug Pop
    Source: Diamond Dave CD
    Info: Co-written by John 5, this is the last recorded track featuring the DLR Band.

11. Ain't That Peculiar
    Source: Bad Habits/Ain't That Peculiar CDR
    Info: Extremely rare internal CD-R of two unreleased tracks from Diamond Dave Productions. "Bad Habits" later wound up on the Diamond Dave album. "Ain't That Peculiar" is a cover of a Marvin Gaye song from 1965, and has never been released anywhere else.

12. Ashley Abernathy
    Source: https://www.songsoflove.org/jukeboxm...nathy-Roth.mp3
    Quality: 160kbps mp3
    Info: In 1999, Dave contacted the Songs of Love Foundation after reading an article in a local New York newspaper, asking if he would be able to sing a song for an ailing child. Expressing his desire to “do the right thing”, he went on to record a “Song of Love” for 9-year-old Ashley Abernathy who was battling leukemia.

13. Happy
    Source: YouTube (The Roth Show: Happy [David Lee Roth])
    Info: This acapella cover of Pharrell Williams's "Happy" was recorded in 2014 at Onkio Haus in Ginza, Tokyo. 99% of the sounds you hear are Dave's voice, apart from some synthesizer cellos and a litte bit of piano. The end of the clip features Dave backstage singing "Happy" with acapella (or Vocal Play) group Naturally 7.

14. Shine A Little More
    Source: Diamond Dave’s No Holds Bar-B-Que EP
    Info: Cover of ELO's "Shine A Little Love", recorded at Henson Studios sometime in 2001-2002

15. Baker Street
    Info: Cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street", recorded at Henson Studios sometime in 2001-2002

16. Mean Street
    Info: Acoustic version, recorded at the Mojo Dojo sometime in 2001-2002

17. Exactly Like You
    Info: Cover of Django Reinhardt's "Exactly Like You", recorded at the Mojo Dojo sometime in 2001-2002

18. Lime House Blues
    Info: Cover of Django Reinhardt's "Lime House Blues", recorded at the Mojo Dojo sometime in 2001-2002

19. Gonna Take A Lot of Drugs
    Source: Warner Demos Remastered
    Info: A parody of Warner Bros labelmate Nicolette Larson’s 1978 hit, “Lotta Love", featuring Dave and Michael Anthony. The tune was tacked onto the end of the band’s 1977 Warner Bros demo tape.
    Last edited by vanhalenrocks; 03-03-2016 at 03:34 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to vanhalenrocks for this KICKASS post:

Cato (03-03-2016),twonabomber (03-03-2016)

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    01-01-2024 @ 08:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Shit. I guess I should have put this in Bootleg Corner. There's already a thread going at the top.

My bad.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I thought we were going to talk about Pink Floyd.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Thread Information