Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being a site which is devoted to Van Halen...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Oh, without a doubt Ed is ultimately the one responsible for his drinking problem. I mean, a person can allocate exterior reasons for why they feel they have to abuse alcohol, booze, food (being sexually abused/beaten as a child, etc.)...but I honestly feel there reaches a point where a person is grown up enough in terms of age to be held totally accountable for the way they choose to respond to whatever happened to them as a kid. I think in Ed's case he simply liked to drink and get drunk because he enjoyed the way it made him feel.

I think Al was just in denial about it for a long time. And I wouldn't discount that perhaps Ed has been a bit screwy in the head for a long time, but signs of that didn't start to physically manifest themselves until after his cancer scare and the failure of Van Halen 3. I mean, you look at the choices the Van Halens made from 1996 onward, and it's like they were a bit cocooned from reality. It wasn't until Van Halen 3 bombed, then Warner Brothers dropped them, then they filled their coffers with the Hagar tour in 2004 and after that I think Ed just went off the deep end after Valerie finally left him a year after the 2004 Hagar tour was over.

I think (I don't know for sure) what it came down to was that Azoff was either told by promoters they wouldn't be giving Van Halen any guarantees in 2007 or that Ed couldn't get insurance in 2007 for a tour unless Ed could demonstrably show he was clean and sober. I think it came to that point and only when that point of Ed's behavior possibly affecting Van Halen's ability to tour and earn was reached (along with some other Ed health problems)...the realization finally hit home. Because you look at those pics of Ed in late 2006/early 2007 with Roth and Ed's appearance at the late 2006 NAMM show, and Ed is still clearly fucked up. And when you live with an addict as long as Al has lived with Ed, you only stick around if you learn how to accept/rationalize/make excuses for that behavior. Otherwise, if that person makes a choice of engaging in a harmful addiction over your friendship and you find that intolerable, you eventually walk away if you have any self-respect.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Al likes money. Al can't hold onto a dollar. The Van Hagar tour was instigated by Al. Al didn't pull out of the tour. Al's Ed's brother. If anybody should have said "Woah, this is a bad idea!" it should have been Al. If I was the former singer of a financially successful band and the drummer said "let's tour!" I would do it in a heartbeat even if the geetar player was literally shooting heroin in his eyeballs right before show time. Nobody owes Ed anything. Nobody should have to look after him or wonder if he's gonna finally take the last drink. And IF his brother thinks it's a great idea and says "he'll be fine" then fuck the geetar player.

Now, I'm not talking to Terry here but too many people here run around and say Sammy shouldn't have toured with Ed in the shape he was in. And that may be true. But Slappy didn't need the money and neither did Mike. Al definitely needed the money. And OBC? So long as the booze was flowing he was good to go.

Bottom line - who really cares? It was a shitty tour and Sam dressed like a goddamn moron and the shows I've seen sucked. But Al got paid for pimping his old drunk ass no talent left brother.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I viewed the 2004 tour as the last opportunity to see VH and more specifically EVH perform live ever... the path and condition of EVH was clearly heading to a tragic end. Had EVH not cleaned up... I honestly believe he wouldn't be here today.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Al can't hold onto a dollar.
    How do we actually know this? Not being smug. I'm just curious. I feel as though I've heard talk of Al losing his every cent to ex-wives a million times through fan speak only. And just like Dave's supposed current contract with Van Halen, I have never seen any actual proof of Al's perpetual state of destituteness.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    How do we actually know this? Not being smug. I'm just curious. I feel as though I've heard talk of Al losing his every cent to ex-wives a million times through fan speak only. And just like Dave's supposed current contract with Van Halen, I have never seen any actual proof of Al's perpetual state of destituteness.
    He had to take a part time job as a vicar to pay the bills

6. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (03-14-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I viewed the 2004 tour as the last opportunity to see VH and more specifically EVH perform live ever... the path and condition of EVH was clearly heading to a tragic end. Had EVH not cleaned up... I honestly believe he wouldn't be here today.
    It's pretty much the same as to how I viewed the 2007-2008 tour. Yeah, Ed clearly cleaned up for that tour, but I thought it just as possible as not that all of that was just a rehab 'buff and shine' to satisfy promoters, and Ed had no intentions of staying sober. And his appearance in the early months of 2008 visually confirmed this: Ed's fucked up again/his 'sobriety' wore off.

I suppose it is a positive thing for the people who care about Ed that he has seemingly managed to stay sober for quite some time. At least unlike 2006 he no longer looks quite like the Crypt Keeper knocking at the Grim Reaper's door anymore. The years of smoking and the whole 'rock and roll lifestyle' have sort of taken a bit of a toll in other physical respects, but I suppose it was also a positive thing he managed to pull it together after the 2004 and 2007 tours and provide a decent display of his talents from 2012 onward to the present. Better to go out serving up passable approximations of his guitar prowess 30 years ago than to go out and a debilitated drunk meth head.

8. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (03-13-2016)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I have a theory that maybe we know too much now and that colors some of the negativity around here a lot of the time.

That and the fact that Hagar doesn't seem worth kicking any more...
    Oh, I dunno!

Wasn't there some 'Sammy Hagar Random Insult Generator' thing on here once upon a time? Maybe I saw it in my dreams ... but whatever, it was cool.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Whatever, or however we've ended up here, here we are. The thought that this site will return to the 90s vibe is no less false than you going back in time. People age, and the older people get, they tend to hold on to things from their youth. Age old story. This, or any other board will never what it was, as much as any of us will never be that young again...Be glad you had it once...

11. Thanked Igosplut for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-20-2016)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Oh, I dunno!

Wasn't there some 'Sammy Hagar Random Insult Generator' thing on here once upon a time? Maybe I saw it in my dreams ... but whatever, it was cool.
    Sounds familiar.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have spoken to some people of recent in the last two years who have met Ed and are in the closed music circles and despite his improved playing of that said geetar as Donnie would put it, is still in not very good shape at all and rather fragile and unhealthy past the stage... sure he has put on weight but the dude is not only old but very damaged and he really might be why Van Halen is doing nothing, while Dave looks ragged but in better health than Edward but cannot sing or rather can if he would lay off the careless attempt of high octaves

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I have spoken to some people of recent in the last two years who have met Ed and are in the closed music circles and despite his improved playing of that said geetar as Donnie would put it, is still in not very good shape at all and rather fragile and unhealthy past the stage... sure he has put on weight but the dude is not only old but very damaged and he really might be why Van Halen is doing nothing, while Dave looks ragged but in better health than Edward but cannot sing or rather can if he would lay off the careless attempt of high octaves
    Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if Ed was in worse health than he appears.

Even in early 2012, when the promo video for the Tattoo track and the Café Wha? gig photos were released, Ed looked a bit dreadful. His hair looked frazzled and unkempt, and his face looked...weird. Even though his onstage appearance on the subsequent ADKOT tour was a bit better, his face looked somewhat bloated, even beyond the obvious weight he had put on...like his face was almost too big for the rest of his body.

And at the Smithsonian talk he gave a year or so ago, he just looked like what he is: a graying, old man. And, to be fair, he is 60 years old or so (61? Somewhere around there). Plus, Ed hasn't particularly healthy since 1996. He went through his hip replacement, his bout with cancer, diverticulitus, long periods of alcoholism. I mean, even though over the last 7 years or so he apparently has been taking better care of himself, it's quite possible he has done damage to himself that can only at best be managed now. I'm not wishing the guy dead by any means, and I don't know the particulars of his ailments, but it wouldn't surprise me if he passed away tomorrow: the guy didn't take care of himself properly for a long time, and sometimes there are consequences for this.

Dave looks healthy enough, and I think he could be doing much better vocally live if he just flat-out sang the tunes rather than yell them: if he has the energy to yell out the verses in a higher key than the songs were originally recorded (not the correct key, but a higher key) than seemingly he should have the energy to simply sing them. As to why he choses not to is a mystery, but it sounds terrible and isn't worth paying money to see anymore.

15. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (03-21-2016)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

I disagree....

This is nothing more than Ed/Al re-hibernating like they always do, then they'll reappear in about 18 months to 2 years from now, doing whatever it is they decide to do and with whomever at the mike.....

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I disagree....

This is nothing more than Ed/Al re-hibernating like they always do, then they'll reappear in about 18 months to 2 years from now, doing whatever it is they decide to do and with whomever at the mike.....
    Nope, the time has passed. They no longer hold the interest of the people, and most young people don't even know their names. regailed to the nostalgic circuit the time away will never matter as IF there is any new music it will fall on deaf ears.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Igosplut View Post
    Nope, the time has passed. They no longer hold the interest of the people, and most young people don't even know their names. regailed to the nostalgic circuit the time away will never matter as IF there is any new music it will fall on deaf ears.
    Yeah the time has passed... but... for what's left and still alive of late 70's/early 80's "ground breaking" hard rock guitar based rock... There's not a lot of artists left alive and able to to even bring it to the table. Seriously what do we have left from the era..?

Is there anything out there better than EVH when it boils down to iconic Rock and Fucking™ Roll..?

Just asking from the simple progression of ... Jimi Hendrix... Eddie Van Halen... TBD..?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Yeah the time has passed... but... for what's left and still alive of late 70's/early 80's "ground breaking" hard rock guitar based rock... There's not a lot of artists left alive and able to to even bring it to the table. Seriously what do we have left from the era..?

Is there anything out there better than EVH when it boils down to iconic Rock and Fucking™ Roll..?

Just asking from the simple progression of ... Jimi Hendrix... Eddie Van Halen... TBD..?

I saw Satriani in concert last night here (sans Bette, thank goodness, wouldn't have gone...), and I was thinking the same thing....

Dude is up there absolutely shredding for 2 1/2 hours, and I'm just thinking there is no one in this generation who is remotely close to any one of the several 'rock gods' from our era....

Now, I'm sure there are very good guitarists out there, don't get me wrong... But in terms of today's rock/popular music, it's completely blank....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, so far apparently there hasn't been a shortage of aging white American males who think Eruption continues to be something worth paying $100 a ticket to see...even a shoddily played version of it, as long as it is Eddie Van Halen playing it. How many of said males remain willing to pay good money to see Eddie play is something only the box office of another tour will answer.

Far as people who play guitar in today's pop rock acts, they are much more career-oriented in terms of what they choose to play onstage: no contemporary shredder is going to be filling stadiums these days, because songs (not solos) are where it is at. Technical rock guitar wankery is a niche audience.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I disagree....

This is nothing more than Ed/Al re-hibernating like they always do, then they'll reappear in about 18 months to 2 years from now, doing whatever it is they decide to do and with Sam and Mike.....
    Exactly

Thread Information