Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Gene Simmons Talks Lost Seventies Van Halen Demos

Gene Simmons Talks Lost Seventies Van Halen Demos

Kiss singer-bassist also recalls early recording of "Christine Sixteen" that could be included in upcoming box set
    By Kory Grow March 22, 2016

While speaking with Rolling Stone about the 40th anniversary of Kiss' Destroyer earlier this month, Gene Simmons digressed to reflect on the anniversary of some other recordings he made in 1976: his demos with Van Halen.

The bassist had caught the group when they were still in their infancy, playing the Sunset Strip club circuit, and he offered to put them to tape and consider them for a label deal. "I discovered the band," he says. "I saw them and signed them and flew them to New York and put them in Electric Lady Studios. They were signed to my company, Man of 1,000 Faces. I produced their 24-track demo — 15 songs — which I still own, and, oh, it has everything from the first record and also faster versions of 'House of Pain' and stuff. It's a lot of cool stuff, but the band just doesn't want it to come out — you know, the back and forth with [David Lee] Roth complicated matters."

Although those recordings have been circulating on the bootleg market for years, there are some other songs Simmons cut with the band that could see an official release at some point. In the Destroyer article, the bassist said that Paul Stanley had written "God of Thunder" as a "Gene song" (though Stanley refuted that) and that he in turn wrote "Christine Sixteen" as a "Paul song." When Simmons decided to demo "Christine Sixteen," he enlisted the help of the Brothers Van Halen.

"They did me a favor," Simmons says, recalling another mid-Seventies session. "We recorded three songs I had written. I was in Los Angeles between tours, and I called Alex and Ed: 'Listen, I got three songs. I'm going in at 2 a.m. Do you want to come down and help me?' Usually, I play the guitars and the drums to the extent I can and put down all the parts. But I wanted to do three songs instead of one. So we did 'Christine Sixteen,' and I put the keyboards on, everything else. And Ed did the solo to the rhythm guitar, bass, and Alex was on drums."

The session went so well that it had a lasting effect on the way Kiss recorded the tune for inclusion on 1977's Love Gun. "When I brought the songs to the band, unfortunately for Ace, I forced him to learn Eddie's solo note-for-note," Simmons says. "He wasn't fond of it, but in retrospect, it's the right solo. It's not the same old blues thing." The other songs Simmons recorded with Eddie and Alex Van Halen were "Got Love for Sale," which also appeared on Love Gun, and "Tunnel of Love," a tune Simmons would re-record for his 1978 eponymous solo album.

Simmons hopes to include these songs in a massive solo box set he's had in the works for a number of years. "It was originally going to be called Monster, but we decided to call the [2012 Kiss] studio record Monster, so it may be called Alter Ego," he says. "We'll include 150 to 200 songs that were never released. I've got one called 'Mongoloid Man' with Joe Perry on guitar, a lot of cool stuff."

The only obstacle in it coming out is distribution. "I'm talking with a few nice people, Eagle Rock and the Universal people and Walmart," Simmons says. "Unless the distribution model is right, I'll just hold on to it until it's right."

As for his involvement with Van Halen in the Seventies, Simmons has said previously that he ended up not working with the group after his Kiss bandmates and manager, Bill Aucoin, expressed little interest in his demos. "I gave the demo back to the band, told them I had a tour to go on and afterward I would try to get them a record deal, but until then, I tore up our contract and set them free," he said, according to BraveWords. "It didn’t take them long to get on Warner Bros."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz43kOlrgvb
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Think the Jew is out to make more money off of them slave SESH?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    Meh.

Not so sure Simmons 'discovered' them in the classic sense as I define it: had Warner Brothers via Mo Ostin and Ted Templeman not 'rediscovered' the band after their demo recordings with Simmons and rejection by Casablanca, Van Halen would have ended up being the best band you had never heard of. Someone 'discovering' a band, to me, means somebody in a position of power within the music biz not only stumbles across an unheard of group (which Van Halen still was even after their dalliance with Simmons) but actually lands them contacts or a record contract that actually results in them getting an album released. And if I recall, it wasn't as if Simmons had contacted anyone at Warner Brothers and told them about this great band he had demoed after Van Halen failed to get a record deal at Casablanca.

I mean, fair enough, Simmons recognized the talent of the band and made probably the best effort he could to record them and get them a record deal at the time, given his schedule with KISS back then.

And who in the fuck wants to buy a Gene Simmons solo box set with 150 to 200 tracks on it? Sure, I'd be interested in hearing the demos Eddie and Alex played on for those Love Gun tracks, but not to the point where I'm gonna shell out $100 for 147 to 197 unreleased Gene Simmons solo tunes.

4. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (03-23-2016)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

A colossal fuck up by Casablanca, of course. After KISS themselves pretty much put the label on the map, they decided they didn't want another rock band, and focused on signing disco crap like Donna Summer and the Village People. Then of course, disco burned itself out by 1980, KISS pretty much imploded as a top selling recording act (ironically, after making their own disco record) and by 1983 or so, the label was toast. The Van Halen 6 pack could have kept them alive. I'd be willing to bet that both Neil Bogart and Bill Aucoin regretted that decision to their dying days.

6. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-24-2016)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    And who in the fuck wants to buy a Gene Simmons solo box set with 150 to 200 tracks on it?
    That's why he can't find distribution.

I'm not sure Nick and Sophie could sell this turd of a collection after Chaim dies.

8. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-24-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Gene was approaching 30 when he wrote this.

"Christine Sixteen"

"I don't usually say things like this to girls your age, but when I saw you
    coming out of the school that day, that day I knew, I knew, I've got to have
    you, I've got to have you."

She's' been around, but she's young and clean
    I've got to have her, can't live without her, whoo no
    Christine sixteen, Christine sixteen

The 1970s or as pedophiles call it, the good old days...

10. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-24-2016),ZahZoo (03-24-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sure, I'd be interested in hearing the demos Eddie and Alex played on for those Love Gun tracks, but not to the point where I'm gonna shell out $100 for 147 to 197 unreleased Gene Simmons solo tunes.
    Even if it includes classics like 'Forced at Fourteen', 'Fifteen and Asking for it' or 'Shylock Thighlock'?

12. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (03-24-2016),Terry (03-24-2016),VAiN (03-25-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Meh.

Not so sure Simmons 'discovered' them in the classic sense as I define it: had Warner Brothers via Mo Ostin and Ted Templeman not 'rediscovered' the band after their demo recordings with Simmons and rejection by Casablanca, Van Halen would have ended up being the best band you had never heard of. Someone 'discovering' a band, to me, means somebody in a position of power within the music biz not only stumbles across an unheard of group (which Van Halen still was even after their dalliance with Simmons) but actually lands them contacts or a record contract that actually results in them getting an album released. And if I recall, it wasn't as if Simmons had contacted anyone at Warner Brothers and told them about this great band he had demoed after Van Halen failed to get a record deal at Casablanca.
    Also we've all heard the demos and if that's what had ended up being Van Halen 1 then I doubt they would have had that much impact. Plenty of really good live bands have been destroyed by an energy sapped shitty debut album by a name producer. From the 80s two I knew spring to mind Heavy Pettin(Brian May) and Wolvesbane(Rick Rubin).

Zero is just a massive testament to the abilities of Ted Templeman.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Zero is just a massive testament to the abilities of Ted Templeman.
    Here here. Glad as I am to own a crisp copy of this, it's actually a frustrating listen. Understanding that it is just a demo, the thinness of the overall sound, the unnecessary over-dubbing of guitars and the pressing way too hard by the vocalist just tank the thing. The one true take away from the collection is the notable presence of great riff and hook writing.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Meh.

I mean, fair enough, Simmons recognized the talent of the band and made probably the best effort he could to record them and get them a record deal at the time, given his schedule with KISS back then.

Of course he didn't 'discover' them. His efforts FAILED to get the band a contract, and they went back to the Sunset Strip for 6-7 months before Mo and Ted signed them...

Just recalling when I told Gene that on Twitter a while back and he yelled at me, funny shit....

16. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-24-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Or to look at it another way, Simmons had the best unsigned band in the world that would go on to sell far more albums than KI$$ and he still couldn't get them signed.

Actually knowing how much he loves money losing out on his cut of that pie must keep him awake at night...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Gene was approaching 30 when he wrote this.

The 1970s or as pedophiles call it, the good old days...
    I agree - 16 is wayyy illegal. That's why I only listen to Seventeen.

19. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (03-25-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Even if it includes classics like 'Forced at Fourteen', 'Fifteen and Asking for it' or 'Shylock Thighlock'?
    'Fifteen and Asking For It'...that line was worth a giggle...I heard Simmons has the demo that Jimmy Page guest-soloed on...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree with Sesh and DLRBridge that the Simmons demos are mostly interesting from a historical perspective as to how certain songs eventually became other tracks on the 6 packs, or how Van Halen was playing certain songs prior to their WB recordings. The performances on them are great, but the sound is weak, and I don't necessarily know as the band would have sounded much better than the demos had they been signed to Warner Brothers and Simmons actually produced an album for them. Now, maybe if the band had signed with Casablanca and Eddie Kramer had ended up producing them, THEN we might be talking something good from a sonic standpoint.

It's just as well that Casablanca passed on Van Halen and ended up promoting...Angel, instead. I mean, Van Halen were a great band with a lot of potential, but clearly Eddie was no Punky Meadows.

22. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (03-26-2016)

Spotlight, asshole !
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    12-21-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In VHR, didn't Rudy say that he was there when Edward recorded the Christine Sixteen solo - and swears up and down that Gene used it on the record because it sounded exactly like when Edward played it ?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edwards3rdWife View Post
    In VHR, didn't Rudy say that he was there when Edward recorded the Christine Sixteen solo - and swears up and down that Gene used it on the record because it sounded exactly like when Edward played it ?
    Good point, he did. I even think the guitar tone sounds a lot like Ed's on 16. A lot of that comes from the fingers. Shock Me has a different tone all together.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thread Information