X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

EVH on a Sabbath song (?)

I read something in a Van Halen Rising FB thread that caught my attention and was wondering if anyone had heard about this before. The main topic was about Tony Iommi and Ed's friendship and someone said...

"Eddie played on Evil eye on the album Cross Purposes by Sabbath in '94 but went uncredited because of record label restrictions."

"Eddie was in England at the time for a gig, so Tony called him down. Ed borrowed a guitar from a music shop in the area to play on the track"

The song was also posted, and I just don't know that I'm hearing Ed. Discuss...

• Satan
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

There's definitely a guitar in there that doesn't sound like Iommi. It sounds vaguely like what Ed of the "Balance" era would have been playing. But since he's working with a "borrowed" guitar and not his typical rig, it's going to sound a little different (kinda like the Simmons demos back in 1976 did).

So it's probably Ed. Certainly follows with the idea that he was looking to work with anybody who wasn't Sammy Hagar at the time. Especially since Van Hagar had been reduced to opening for the likes of Bon Jovi (at least over across the pond)
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

I have never heard the tune in question, but I do remember reading about it as well - I think it probably happened. There was a UK magazine called 'Musician', and I think it was in an interview in that publication when VH were in the UK, playing Birmingham (home of Tony Iommi), that Eddie might have spoken about it.

Maybe he just turned up in the studio and played a lick or something, rather than stamping his signature on it ...
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by VHscraps
        I have never heard the tune in question, but I do remember reading about it as well - I think it probably happened. There was a UK magazine called 'Musician', and I think it was in an interview in that publication when VH were in the UK, playing Birmingham (home of Tony Iommi), that Eddie might have spoken about it.

Maybe he just turned up in the studio and played a lick or something, rather than stamping his signature on it ...
        Got that wrong - the magazine was called 'Guitarist'. I think he talks about it in this issue / interview (cover below) - I used to own it, but I shredded it - and a big shitload of other stuff - in the summer ...

But, it's mentioned in these books, too here and here

Last edited by VHscraps; 04-08-2016, 06:46 PM.
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Thanks Scraps. Hope all's well!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

At first glance, I thought that was Ed next to Dio. Quite the perm Mike's got there.

Comment

• SunisinuS
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • May 2010

Same Inclinations on the fade out as in Fair Warning.

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
              I read something in a Van Halen Rising FB thread that caught my attention and was wondering if anyone had heard about this before. The main topic was about Tony Iommi and Ed's friendship and someone said...

"Eddie played on Evil eye on the album Cross Purposes by Sabbath in '94 but went uncredited because of record label restrictions."

"Eddie was in England at the time for a gig, so Tony called him down. Ed borrowed a guitar from a music shop in the area to play on the track"

The song was also posted, and I just don't know that I'm hearing Ed. Discuss...

Ed is not a session player...you do not bring him in to be one...you bring him in to sound like Eddie. The first lick is Eddie trying to please you and the song...the rest is Edward.

This is Eddie.
              Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-09-2016, 04:23 AM. Reason: Edward Van Halen Played this. You can tell by tension between his laziness and taught expectations of how to play on Sabbath.
              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• DFVH5150
                Groupie
                • Apr 2004

He produced it (per the VH Encyclopedia).
                Dave
                VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...