Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

Wow ... He clearly has made a pretty huge effort to ensure some legacy with this vault of material but then to not have the fore sight to protect it legally is a bit shit.
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There are some collections that have been floating around for years. There's a set called Work It, six CD's. Tracklist of disc six:

Prince - Possessed #1
      Prince - Take Me With U
      Prince - The Beautiful Ones
      Prince - G-Spot
      Prince - Computer Blue #1
      Prince - Computer Blue #2
      Prince - Computer Blue #3
      Prince - Computer Blue #4
      Prince - Darling Nikki #1
      Prince - I Would Die 4 U

Of which Computer Blue #4 seems to be the standout, with more guitar than what ended up on the Purple Rain soundtrack and movie.

But then disc 2 looks like

Prince - instrumental
      Prince - Make It Through The Storm
      Prince - Baby #1
      Prince - Baby #2
      Prince - We Can Work It Out
      Prince - My Love Is Forever
      Prince - instrumental 1
      Prince - instrumental 2
      Prince - instrumental 3
      Prince - instrumental 4
      Prince - instrumental 5
      Prince - instrumental 6
      Prince - instrumental 7
      Prince - instrumental 8

which are just different takes and a bunch of instrumentals. Some of that may have ended up being on the Madhouse albums.

Or the Purple Rush set

with versions of songs Prince gave to others with his original vocal tracks.
      Last edited by twonabomber; 04-26-2016, 03:07 PM.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• cadaverdog
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by vandeleur
        Wow ... He clearly has made a pretty huge effort to ensure some legacy with this vault of material but then to not have the fore sight to protect it legally is a bit shit.
        I find it hard to believe he had no will but I would assume a company with shareholders would have some type of legal contract in place outlining what whoever takes over Prince's share of the company can and cannot do to protect the interests of the other shareholders.
        Beware of Dog

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I was half expecting a will leaving it to the JW cult.

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Ah, whatever happens to his "vaults", it won't really make any difference to me. I thought the guy was amazing back in the day but haven't had one moment in the past 15 years or so when I thought "Man, I really need to get the new Prince/AFUK/Slave (or whatever he was calling himself) record!" Didn't bother to try to listen to any of them either. So whatever.
            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
              Ah, whatever happens to his "vaults", it won't really make any difference to me. I thought the guy was amazing back in the day but haven't had one moment in the past 15 years or so when I thought "Man, I really need to get the new Prince/AFUK/Slave (or whatever he was calling himself) record!" Didn't bother to try to listen to any of them either. So whatever.
              You said the same about Dave :-p

Comment

• Satan
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                And from what I'm reading, Minnesota law says half siblings are entitled to a cut. There are six surviving siblings.

Beyond that, not much is known. Supposedly Paisley Park owns all the assets, and Prince is listed as president and/or majority shareholder.

Anyone who thinks it gets bad on this site should check out the forums at prince dot org. It's a fucking mess. All kinds of crazy theories and opinions. Makes us look normal.
                Hell radio just reported that Tyka (the full sister) is filing to be the executor of the estate, which shouldn't be a problem, since she's obviously his closest living relative. But she also says that other family members want to turn Paisley Park into another Graceland, so clearly they have their own plans to cash in.

Maybe the JWs will make their own claim, using the biblical "tithing" concept to say that Jehova should get His 10% off the top of all future Purple Profits.
                Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                  Yeah the interest for me was as a live act at this point - I've seen him 4 times in the past 15 years and enjoyed it each time but didn't follow his new releases.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The live stuff is the draw for me, too.

I like hearing unreleased songs I've heard about over the years but sometimes I realize why he put them back in the vault.

Currently I've been listening to Dream Factory, which was to be a three disc set but Warners had him cut it down to two discs. It ended up being Sign O The Times. 19 tracks on Dream Factory and only 7 of them I hadn't heard, the rest were on SOTT and Crystal Ball.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                      But she also says that other family members want to turn Paisley Park into another Graceland, so clearly they have their own plans to cash in.
                      A local on the .org forums says Paisley Park isn't really all that close to MPLS proper, and that there isn't much else to do around Chanhassen.

Attendees of Paisley Park events are often told to park at another location and take a shuttle bus to the studio. I guess there isn't much parking on the premises.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Rolling Stone has suddenly become useful.

Paul Westerberg on Prince

Unpublished Prince interview from 2014

In Praise of Prince's Long Lost Concert Film, SOTT

In praise of Prince's Sign O' the Times' — how the 'lost' 1987 concert movie distills all of the Purple One's powers into one divine housequake.

Questlove remembers Prince

In a powerful essay, the Roots leader Questlove goes deep on the genius, loneliness and the secret hip-hop heart of his idol Prince.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          Yeah, in all seriousness, I get what you're saying. I've always respected what you've had to say and enjoyed reading what you've had to say, and that's not going to change regardless of your indifference to Prince's music.

Music, to me...a band/singer either has an impact on me emotionally when I hear the music or they don't. I either react to what I'm hearing or (in some cases) I don't. And I can't fake a reaction, and see no reason to pretend otherwise, even when said artist passes away and seemingly everybody else is falling all over their asses to praise that artist.

And the whole hub-bub over Prince in the wake of his death rings a bit hollow to a degree in that I can't even remember the last time I heard Prince being mentioned by so many people since the mid-1980s...even after his Superbowl appearance. And I'll bet more than a few of those people who are falling all over their asses now to praise Prince since he died, if you asked them "So, what was your favorite Prince song?" they'd pause for a moment while mentally trying to recollect one, then say "Purple Rain!" because they don't even KNOW any others! It was kinda like when David Bowie died recently, and every other cunt was blathering about how they had "always" loved David Bowie. It's like, no, you DIDN'T always love David Bowie because his record sales post-Let's Dance weren't in any way reflective of the amount of people claiming to have been "diehard" Bowie fans in the wake of HIS death, either.

I mean, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion in terms of if you don't care for Prince, therefore you must be 'wrong'. His stuff either has an effect on you or it doesn't.
                          I understand your point - I was mainly saying I'd never got into Prince's music, like I've never got into Iron Maiden for example. Prince was a (maybe the) top notch in his music alley, and Maiden in theirs, but if one doesn't dig their works doesn't allow them to state they suck, it's a trap many people fall through, I agree - I always try not to, safe about artists who actually suck, and there are some.

As far as the automatic craze for freshly departed famous artists, it's just how it goes every time, it's a real drag but you can't prevent it from happening. And yes, suddenly people will praise everything they've done, even the elevator music they might have released like Bowie tended to record mainly in the last 30 years.

Anyway, as my father used to tell me, "if you don't like something, don't try to put others off it".
                          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Nov 2004

It's not like it's in Main. And knowing that DLR is into old R&B and what he calls "floor," you're surprised that VH fans may be into something else?
                            That's true after all, nothing surprising that they're into dance music too.

What's to get? It's not trigonometry, it's music. You got it enough to come in here and bitch...
                            That's better, because I don't have much to say about trigonometry.

But that's right, it's only music we're talking about, nothing serious.

Just one thing I thought afterwards about geniusses in music: who are/were they?

I found 4: the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and Queen.

Not necessarily what I dig most listening, but I found those four.

I can see the flaming coming hard now.
                            Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 04-27-2016, 05:48 AM.
                            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Maybe Brian Wilson, and not the whole of the Beach Boys.

Queen...how much credit do their co-producers get?

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

I fucking hate queen hahaha fuck Freddie cockduster .

That's for Donniep really

Comment

Working...