X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
    I blame the estate for these reissues. The record company is just a willing and necessary accomplice.
    I've noticed his 80's catalog has been reissued on Prince's "NPG" (New Power Generation) label like Around the World, Lovesexy, Parade, Graffiti Bridge. They are going for cheap, too @$9 - $10 on CD. Not much in the way of packaging mainly lyric sheets and production credits. No b-sides, remixes or vault tracks on these. The remastering (from what I can tell) is crisper than the originals and they are not brickwalled to death so they are bearable to listen to. Around The World in a Day is not as good as I remember it.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I think people got turned off by Around The World In A Day because it wasn't Purple Rain. Prince even said in an interview he could have just done the Let's Go Crazy solo in a different key and put it on there but he wanted to do something different. Then you get to Parade and it's stripped down and different too.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I blame the estate for these reissues. The record company is just a willing and necessary accomplice.
        Free money.

I don't think his legacy will be badly affected if if some of the tracks released aren't great given people will overlook a bit of child raping if your main catalogue is good enough...

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'd buy a Cloud guitar if the estate decides to do another run.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

You will have to wear purple ladies clothes when you play it.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
              I have some good news. This sexist misogynistic motherfucker is still dead

He was an asshole. One less jerk on the face of the earth.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

More like a whale penis than a cloud.

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Prince's engineer Susan Rogers at Sunset Sound

Comment

• silverfish
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Mar 2007

Prince Will Have Major Minnesota Highway Stretch Named For Him

The roadway runs past his former Paisley Park headquarters and winds through the Minneapolis
                    suburbs of Chanhassen and Eden Prairie. It will be called the Prince Rogers Nelson Memorial
                    Highway and the signs marking the road’s name will be purple.

Full story at:
                    Originally posted by sadaist
                    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Diamonds And Pearls gets the expanded reissue treatment. Out October 27.

An expanded version of Prince's 1991 album 'Diamonds and Pearls' featuring 47 previously unreleased tracks will be released on Oct. 27, 2023.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I used to listen to this album a lot back in the day. I would guess a lot of the 40+ new tracks are like the rap songs towards the end of the album which I used to skip.

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Tony M and the "Game Boyz" that backed Prince up onstage were super dorky. NPG as a band, though, really good. Michael Bland played with Paul Westerberg on one of his solo tours.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

I've bought every deluxe reissue they've done so far. SIGN, 1999 and PURPLE RAIN were all very impressive. But DIAMONDS AND PEARLS was not one of my favorite albums originally (my wife likes it a lot, though). I'll still probably get it.

Be pretty cool to hear the live/unreleased SEXY MF, though. I actually preferred the 1992 SYMPBOL album.

I was kinda hoping the next one was going to be based on the AROUND THE WORLD/PARADE sessions.
                            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There are two books by Duane Tudahl that cover the Purple Rain sessions (first book) and then the Parade and SOTT sessions. Tudahl includes as many notes as he can and they even go into the side project sessions. Plenty of quotes and comments from the Revolution, Appollonia, Sheila E, members of the Time, etc. I guess he's working on another book.

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

There are two books by Duane Tudahl that cover the Purple Rain sessions (first book) and then the Parade and SOTT sessions. Tudahl includes as many notes as he can and they even go into the side project sessions. Plenty of quotes and comments from the Revolution, Appollonia, Sheila E, members of the Time, etc. I guess he's working on another book.
                                I got the PURPLE RAIN book he did. It's pretty stunning. (Reminds me a bit of Mark Lewisohn's amazing Beatles books, like his THE COMPLETE BEATLES RECORDING SESSIONS book.)

It would be amazing to have such a book for VH...though I bet the tape archive in 5150 is a mess. I bet half of those session tapes don't even have dates or logs.

The Prince estate, in my humble opinion, has shown how to treat an artist's legacy. Serious fans can accept that some of the things that are in the Vault discs in the box sets aren't polished songs or necessarily WHEN DOVES CRY-caliber material. When you love an artist, you are happy to listen to the good, the bad and the ugly.

When Prince died, the one consolation prize we got was being able to finally start hearing (and seeing) all the great stuff in his vault. I was hoping something similar would happen after Eddie died. But I forgot that we're dealing with the band that literally hates their fans.
                                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Working...