• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I have most of this stuff but I'll be buying:

The Prince estate has announced a massive, vault-raiding reissue for 1987’s 'Sign O’ the Times,' featuring 45 unreleased studio recordings.

The Prince estate has announced a massive, vault-raiding reissue for 1987’s Sign O’ the Times, featuring more than 45 unreleased studio recordings.

The Super Deluxe Edition reissue — available either as a stacked eight-CD or 13-LP set on September 25th — boasts the remastered LP alongside three discs of unreleased music culled from Prince’s vault; a disc compiling the album’s single mixes, edits, and B sides; a 1987 live gig in Utrecht, the Netherlands; and a bonus concert film from Prince’s New Year’s Eve 1987 show at Paisley Park that featured a cameo by Miles Davis.

Among the highlights from the vault material — much of it was destined for Prince and the Revolution’s unreleased 1986 album Dream Factory — are the 1979 version of “I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man,” a take on “The Ballad of Dorothy Parker” with horns, “A Place in Heaven” with Prince’s vocals, and “Can I Play With U?” featuring Miles Davis.

The Super Deluxe Edition comes with a 120-page hardcover book containing Prince’s previously unseen handwritten lyrics for many of the songs from the era, unseen images from Prince’s primary photographer at the time, Jeff Katz, and liner notes by Prince’s creative peers and friends, including Dave Chappelle (in conversation with photographer Mathieu Bitton), Lenny Kravitz, and Prince’s longtime engineer Susan Rogers.

The Sign O’ the Times reissue, available for preorder now at Prince’s web store, will be released September 25th in a variety of formats, ranging from a barebones remastered two-LP version of the album on peach-colored vinyl to the massive 13-LP/one-DVD pressing. Additionally, the Prince estate has teamed with Third Man Records for a limited-edition seven-inch-vinyl box set showcasing all the singles from the album as well as a newly created single for the un-vaulted song “Witness 4 the Prosecution.”

Sign O’ the Times Super Deluxe Edition Track list

Remastered Album (CD One)

Sign O’ the Times
    Play in the Sunshine
    Housequake
    The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
    It
    Starfish and Coffee
    Slow Love
    Hot Thing
    Forever in My Life

Remastered Album (CD Two)

U Got the Look
    If I Was Your Girlfriend
    Strange Relationship
    I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
    The Cross
    It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night
    Adore

Single Mixes and Edits (CD Three)

Sign O’ The Times (seven-inch single edit)
    La, La, La, He, He, Hee (seven-inch single edit)
    La, La, La, He, He, Hee (Highly Explosive) (seven-inch single edit)
    If I Was Your Girlfriend (seven-inch single edit)
    Shockadelica (“If I Was Your Girlfriend” B side)
    Shockadelica (12-inch long version)
    U Got the Look (Long Look) (12-inch edit)
    Housequake (seven-inch edit)
    Housequake (7 Minutes MoQuake)
    I Could Never Take the Place Of Your Man (fade seven-inch edit)
    Hot Thing (seven-inch single edit)
    Hot Thing (extended remix)
    Hot Thing (dub version)

Vault, Part One (CD Four)

All tracks previously unreleased

I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (1979 version)
    Teacher, Teacher (1985 version)
    All My Dreams
    Can I Play With U? (featuring Miles Davis)
    Wonderful Day (original version)
    Strange Relationship (original version)
    Visions
    The Ballad of Dorothy Parker (with horns)
    Witness 4 the Prosecution (version one)
    Power Fantastic (live in studio)
    And That Says What?
    Love and Sex
    A Place in Heaven (Prince vocal)
    Colors
    Crystal Ball (seven-inch mix)
    Big Tall Wall (version one)
    Nevaeh Ni Ecalp A
    In a Large Room With No Light

Vault, Part Two (CD Five)

Train
    It Ain’t Over ‘Til the Fat Lady Sings
    Eggplant (Prince vocal)
    Everybody Want What They Don’t Got
    Blanche
    Soul Psychodelicide
    The Ball
    Adonis and Bathsheba
    Forever in My Life (early vocal studio run-through)
    Crucial (alternate lyrics)
    The Cocoa Boys
    When the Dawn of the Morning Comes
    Witness 4 the Prosecution (version two)
    It Be’s Like That Sometimes

Vault, Part Three (CD Six)

Emotional Pump
    Rebirth of the Flesh (with original outro)
    Cosmic Day
    Walkin’ in Glory
    Wally
    I Need a Man
    Promise to Be True
    Jealous Girl (version two)
    There’s Something I Like About Being Your Fool
    Big Tall Wall (version two)
    A Place in Heaven (Lisa vocal)
    Wonderful Day (12-inch mix)
    Strange Relationship (1987 Shep Pettibone club mix)

Live in Utrecht (CD Seven and CD Eight)

Intro/Sign O’ the Times
    Play in the Sunshine
    Little Red Corvette
    Housequake
    Girls and Boys
    Slow Love
    Take the “A” Train/Pacemaker/I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
    Hot Thing
    Four (with Sheila E. Drum solo)
    If I Was Your Girlfriend
    Let’s Go Crazy
    When Doves Cry
    Purple Rain
    Forever in My Life
    Kiss
    The Cross
    It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night

Live at Paisley Park — December 31st, 1987 (DVD)

Sign O’ the Times
    Play in the Sunshine
    Little Red Corvette
    Erotic City
    Housequake
    Slow Love
    Do Me, Baby
    Adore
    I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
    What’s Your Name Jam
    Let’s Pretend We’re Married
    Delirious
    Jack U Off
    Drum Solo
    Twelve
    Hot Thing
    If I Was Your Girlfriend
    Let’s Go Crazy
    When Doves Cry
    Purple Rain
    U Got the Look
    It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night Medley (featuring Miles Davis)
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I may have posted this, I don't remember. This is the complete Dream Factory disc. It has become one of my favorite bootlegs.

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

For me the key point in the interview was when she said that the key factor in whether Prince released it or not came down to the lyrics.

You have to think if anyone in the world knows what she is talking about on this it is her. For me a good lyric adds 5% maybe 10% at best so it's made me think that this archive may be better than I thought.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

YouTube channel The Violet Reality has a lot of interviews with people associated with Prince and a lot of "facts you didn't know" videos about Prince albums.

The Violet Reality is a new collective for a new era : Millennials obsessed with Prince, Michael Jackson, Funk Music, Pop Culture and the 1980s. We make YouTube videos, music, art and we spread love. Subscribe now and join us! Welcome to the dawn Brought to you by Casey Rain & Kim Camilia Twitter: @CaseyRain @RealityIsViolet Instagram: @CaseyRain @KimCamilia @TheVioletReality

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Another Susan Rogers interview

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

"Sesh's Aftershow" is on YouTube

I don't remember which car I left the CD in but I wrote "Sesh's Aftershow" and the date on it in black Sharpie

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

A mixing desk recording was made that night, i was standing nearby and saw the CD rushed away with security before the lights had even come up.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There was a great show on the BBC the other week to commemorate Sign Of The Times I'm not sure you will be able to get it in the US without using a proxy but here is the link.

Mary Anne Hobbs celebrates Prince’s critically-acclaimed album Sign O’ The Times.

Prince’s Sign o’ the Times at 33 1/3
                  Mary Anne Hobbs

Our 33 1/3 celebrations explore iconic albums when they turn 33 and 1/3 years old, which also happens to be the speed that vinyl albums are played at.

Sign O’ The Times was released on the 30th March 1987 by Paisley Park Records and Warner Bros. It followed Parade, Prince’s final recording with The Revolution, and the commercial breakthroughs, 1999 (released in 1982) and Purple Rain (1984). Rolling Stone described it as ‘tough and inventive and exuberantly experimental’ while the New York Times said that ‘virtually all by himself’ Prince was ‘more versatile, more eclectic than ever.’

Across the show we’ll hear from Susan Rogers, who was right at the heart of the album's creation, and Duane Tudahl, senior researcher for the Prince Estate Archives, who knows many of the stories from behind the scenes. We will reflect on the incredible influence of the record across all four sides of the vinyl which embraces funk, pop, rock, gospel, dance music, slow jams and more and hear from some of the musicians who’ve been inspired by Prince.

In part shaped by the reception to his previous two projects, 1986’s Parade and the film Under The Cherry Moon, the stories surrounding Sign O The Times include smashed guitars, the dissolution of The Revolution, record label battles and happy accidents in the studio with engineer Susan Rogers.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Works!

Comment

• Funkmonkey
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      I'm not Lindbergh's biggest fan and yeah, maybe he shouldn't have an international airport named after him. But I think the Nazi thing is a bit of overreach even give his eugenics bullshit. He actually flew combat missions as a civilian in WWII (against the Japanese) shooting down maybe two Jap fighters, more importantly he helped improve certain USAAF fighters like the P-38...

He was a flawed human being and a product of his time...
                      http://www.charleslindbergh.com/wwii/ He flew some combat missions and most importantly was a consultant that improved many of the fighter craft the US was using.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

60 Minutes goes to Prince's Vault

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've said it before...some of the stuff should be left in the vault. There are plenty of bootleg collections (The Work series comes to mind) that have things on them that I'd only heard of. Then I listen and think yeah, I see why Prince didn't put that out. Some of it is unfinished, and some is just not that good. It shows that he was always working, always creating, but after further review it should have been left alone.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

What I like to know is: WHERE ARE ARE THE GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING REISSUES OF AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAY, PARADE, LOVE SEXY, & GRAFFITI BRIDGE!?!? I'm not too concerned seeing Sign O' The Slimes fucking sucked in the "remastering" process. His vault shit, I could give a flying rat fuck monkey fuck about.

Comment

Working...