• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
    It would be amazing to have such a book for VH...though I bet the tape archive in 5150 is a mess. I bet half of those session tapes don't even have dates or logs.
    A book about the early stuff might not be too hard to put together. Sunset Sound has supposedly kept all the work orders and some of the engineers are still around. Who knows what is in 5150 and if Landee would be willing to talk about it.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
      A book about the early stuff might not be too hard to put together. Sunset Sound has supposedly kept all the work orders and some of the engineers are still around. Who knows what is in 5150 and if Landee would be willing to talk about it.
      Yup. If you even just watch the Sunset Sound web series on YouTube, they go over dates, times and even play bits of session tapes (even with pics, when available). They used those log sheets to construct the 4-CD box set of unreleased Dave material (that we'll probably never hear).

But 5150 is a different matter.

Donn Landee apparently came back into the VH fold to remaster the Sammy catalog. I'm not sure if he's the one who did the 2015 remasters of the Dave catalog...but whoever did, it was actually stunning. I wasn't even going to buy them at first until I recently heard something off the FAIR WARNING 2015 remaster and it sounded amazing. Much better than the 2000 remasters.

That said, Donn Landee last worked with Eddie in 1988 for OU812. I bet even he wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of the stacks of session tapes Eddie left in his home studio. I can't be sure, but I bet they're not logged.

I was reading ERUPTION, a recent book of Eddie interviews I got. In one section, Eddie is interviewed in 2004 (talking about the pathetic 2004 reunion with Shammy). He says he literally gave Sammy CD mixes of the instrumental tapes of dozens and dozens of songs he'd been stockpiling. Sammy apparently went through some of those, picked three songs...and they were off.

They COULD make a new album that way...even today. They could take a bunch of those, have Dave pick good ones...and have Dave sing over them. (Of course, Eddie mentioned that final lead guitar work was NOT done for those.)
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

I bet Prince's archive was more interesting, though.

He would record AND finish dozens and dozens of songs every year. And he COULD. He played all the instruments and put finished vocals on most of his outtakes. They weren't just jams or instrumentals.
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Prince is still dead, right?

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
            Tony M and the "Game Boyz" that backed Prince up onstage were super dorky. NPG as a band, though, really good. Michael Bland played with Paul Westerberg on one of his solo tours.
            I met Tony M and a couple of the others in 2019. He was friendly and not a dick.

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Hey, how you all doing this morning? Latest news on Prince is that he's still dead.

Details are not expected to change any time soon.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

In the shameless "let's make a buck off the dead department" it's seems Prince's corpse is finally going to be a Broadway star:

Branden Jacobs-Jenkins writes the book for the show, which will feature Prince's well-known score and direction by Lileana Blain-Cruz.

Comment

Working...