ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Indeed. Prince has released 8 albums since Van Halen reformed.
    And about half of the material on those albums is good. Each has it's moment, but they don't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    As far as how much material Prince left behind - I'd bet it is a ton. The guy was known as a notorious studio rat. So I'd bet he does a shit ton of material recorded.
    I recently read that some of what's in the vault may not be finished. I hope whoever is left in charge doesn't do like Sony did and hire a bunch of shitbags to re-work some of Michael Jackson's stuff. I would probably trust Questlove with the Prince material, and I'm not sure who else.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwards3rdWife View Post
    In '79 or '80 a friend and I went to see Rick James and Prince was the opener. We were fried but I remember it was a great concert, and this was before Prince broke out. We all loved the hell out of Prince, he was so damn funky and you couldn't be still when his music was on. He was reclusive, yes, but a genius and a true artist. Playing all the instruments on his albums ? Unreal.

The craziest part is that my family is from Chanhassen. Prince's mansion was near my grandparents' house. My father is buried in Chan, and seeing it on TV is just surreal.

I was sad about MJ, but his death wasn't that surprising. Prince ? I'm absolutely floored.
    Rick James accused Prince of ripping off his act...and then after Prince got the Time and Vanity 6 started, James came up with the Mary Jane Girls and Process and the Doo-Rags.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Trader's Den has a ton of Prince bootlegs on the first page today. I was on the site yesterday and downloaded a Prince show from Madrid, July 22, 1990. It's still seeding. Listened to it last night, a decent FM recording. Then had been awake an hour or so when one of the Prince groups on FB posted about EMS being called to Paisley Park. TMZ crashed shortly after that, as did prince dot org. Switched to http://www.startribune.com/ , who's Jon Bream has written about Prince since the late 70's.

Going through some of the live bootlegs and thinking I was glad to get to see him four times, including on the Purple Rain tour. Sesh wrote about attending one of the O2 Arena aftershows and I found a bootleg of it...I scrawled "Sesh's Aftershow" on the CD in black Sharpie. Got Purple Finale playing now, soundboard of the last Purple Rain tour show at the Orange Bowl in April of '85. Not sure what I'll queue up next. Gonna be a long night.

3. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (04-22-2016)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Prince was twice the musician Edward Van Halen is... and unlike Ed, he really does have a vault of actual songs
    Last edited by Jetstream; 04-22-2016 at 12:49 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

5. 4 users say thank you to Jetstream for this KICKASS post:

Angel (04-22-2016),DavidLeeNatra (04-22-2016),Edwards3rdWife (04-22-2016),Terry (04-23-2016)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sirius has made channel 50 into the Prince tribute channel. Going way back, so far I've heard 17 Days (B side of When Doves Cry), then Love Sign from his mail order 1-800-NEW-FUNK CD, and now 1+1+1 Is 3 from the Rainbow Children.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How Prince and critic Jon Bream learned to see eye to eye

By Jon Bream Star Tribune

I knew him for six years before he looked me in the eye.

Yes, Prince was very shy. Until he got onstage. Or until you got to know him.

If you got to know him, he was smart, articulate, aware, spiritual, observant, clever, joyful, silly, sweet, generous, thoughtful, impulsive, complicated, spontaneous and cuttingly funny.

If you saw him onstage — either with one of his superbly drilled bands or on his recent solo piano tour — you witnessed arguably the most dazzling and well-rounded talent of the past 40 years.

Prince had all of the trappings of self-indulgent rock stardom — custom-made look-at-me outfits, purple limousines and motorcycles, a squad of bodyguards, dishes emblazoned with his glyph, phone calls to his employees in the middle of the night, and on and on.

Having covered him since 1977, when he was recording his one-man-band debut for Warner Bros., I got to see him up close and personal, witnessing the great (concert after concert), the bad (on Arsenio Hall’s TV talk show he burned a review I wrote about one of his albums) and the ugly (events where he was expected to perform but didn’t).

Summoned to Denver

Perhaps one incident typifies how Prince rolled.

In May 2013, I was trying to set up a telephone interview with 3rdEyeGirl, Prince’s new backup band. On the day of my deadline, Prince’s publicist e-mailed at 3 p.m. She asked whether I could be in Denver that night for an interview with the band — and “maybe Prince will talk to you.”

Not even Prince can charter a private plane on two hours’ notice, so I flew commercial, arriving between Prince and 3rdEyeGirls’ two concerts that night. After the second show, I went to a club with his band to wait for Prince. He called his manager — Prince didn’t have a cellphone — and asked to talk to me. He wanted my review of the show.

It was a normal conversation. No airs, no arrogance. And no indication that whatever I said might lead to an interview.

Prince finally showed up at 4 a.m. We talked till 6:20 a.m. His rules, of course: No tape recorder, no notebook. Just conversation. Look each other in the eye.

Another journalist there wasn’t a music critic, so Prince asked me to explain Sly & the Family Stone. He approved of my discussion of the cultural and musical significance of Sly, but said, “You left something out. That’s how I learned how to play bass.”

Indeed, Prince taught himself how to play bass guitar by listening to Family Stone bassist Larry Graham, who would later move to Minnesota and became a close friend and a spiritual mentor.

The public perceived that Prince had a contentious relationship with the Minnesota music critic who covered him the most. I became an insider in the early years, interviewing him in 1978 for 90 minutes with no one else in the room. (“I’ve never talked this much in my life,” he said at the end of the session, his giant Afro hid under a floppy newsboy cap.) There were invites backstage, the “Purple Rain” premiere and party in Hollywood, and various private events.

But when I gave Prince a copy of my unauthorized 1984 biography (“Prince: Inside the Purple Reign”) during rehearsals for his Purple Rain concert tour, he went crazy. He didn’t have control of his own story. And he was a control freak.

I was persona non grata during the 1990s after some honest but negative reviews of his albums and the “Graffiti Bridge” movie.

However, at a 1996 listening party for his “Emancipation” album at Paisley Park, he said in front of 75 folks: “Jon, you and I should bury the hatchet. We need to talk.”

That talk didn’t come until Denver 16 years later.

He certainly read what I wrote about him, though. At one point that night he turned to me and said, “This is no wig,” referring to a piece in which I had speculated that he was wearing an Afro wig. “And Jon Bream, what happened to all your hair?”

We burst into laughter.

The Prince of Chanhassen

After forming his backup trio 3rdEyeGirl in the fall of 2012, the Minnesota music monarch’s demeanor changed. He became the refreshed Prince of Chanhassen. Gone was the intensely aloof, mysterious rock star of old. He seemed mature, acting like a 50-something adult, not a petulant celeb. He championed his collaborators, treating them as equals, not puppets or playthings.

He began opening Paisley Park more frequently to the public (and journalists).

He even threw a spontaneous private party and concert in October when the Minnesota Lynx won the WNBA championship — and he attended the clinching game.

Last Saturday, Prince welcomed fans to Paisley Park once again for a dance party with a DJ. The Internet had lit up the day before with stories of his private plane making an emergency landing in the wee hours after two concerts in Atlanta. He wanted to reassure fans that he was alive and well.

I watched as he played “Chopsticks” on his brand-new purple piano, showed off a metallic purple guitar and spoke briefly — words that seem sadly ironic in retrospect: “Wait a few days before you waste any prayers.”

The last time I saw him was Tuesday night, when Prince and a few members of his band attended a concert by soul/jazz singer Lizz Wright at the Dakota Jazz Club. He was a fan of music as well as a music-maker.

For a change, he stayed for the entire show — even the encore — then made his exit through the kitchen door, strutting with that unmistakable Prince attitude, his gold embossed cane slung over his shoulder, his Afro disappearing into the night.

8. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (04-22-2016)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Prince & VH signed their deals with Warner Brothers around the same time, so I'd imagine they were equally as shitty.
    I think Prince got the better deal.

With the help of manager Owen Husney, Prince signed a recording contract with Warner Bros.. The record company agreed to give Prince creative control for three albums and ownership of the publishing rights.
    From an interview today with Hunsey:

I understand that, as his first manager, you helped him arrange his contract with Warner Bros., which allowed him a good deal of creative control over his music — considered, I think, unprecedented at the time. Can you talk about his legacy there? Because it seems, over the years, he has always been an advocate for creative control.

There has been no doubt. And when we signed the deal with Warner Bros., I had the great job of going to the chairman of Warner Bros. and saying that an 18-year-old artist, who has never made an album before, is going to be producing his own album and having complete creative control. I didn't relish that meeting!

We kind of organized a test where they watched him in the studio. And at the end of him maybe getting halfway through the song, Lenny Waronker, who was president of Warner at that time, he pulled me out in the hallway and said, "We're going to give him the complete control that you're asking for." So there's an inner talent, a drive, and then there's this ability that's — you either have it or you don't.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 04-22-2016 at 02:30 AM.

10. 04-22-2016, 02:55 AM

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

He got better as he got older. One of the first times I can say that.

19:11 She is Always in my Hair:

Playing in bands in my youth you always had to buy a Prince Album because you knew you would get some requests to play it. Although I am not a huge Prince fan for all of his songwriting, I was one for his creativity in making an Album during the death of Albums (the 80s). As stated, I betcha he actually has a vault of music that could be well managed by an estate that would constitute Full Albums in the future. The only criticism I have of his songwriting was that once he had a good riff, he would ride it to death without that 3rd riff or bridge. So it was a bit repetitive in one song. For a song like "Kiss" it worked, but on others, just too much of one thing.

RIP The Artist Formally Known as "Alive."

I am sure he would be driving a little red corvette up there.

Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-22-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC34ZcDiCag

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The problem isn't that it's too soon, it's just weak material...
    I should have said the cadaver formerly known as Prince. Gotta get that formerly in there.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    The only criticism I have of his songwriting was that once he had a good riff, he would ride it to death without that 3rd riff or bridge. So it was a bit repetitive in one song. For a song like "Kiss" it worked, but on others, just too much of one thing.
    Talking of which of of all the hundreds of songs he wrote his second biggest hit in the UK was 'The Most Beautiful Girl in the World' which is a single same part for verse and chorus with nothing between them, one musical idea stretched to 5 minutes.
    Is that genius or just reflect that the great unwashed public want as simple as possible?
    Who knows...probably a bit of both.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It has been over 10 years since Prince put the hammer down on the internets and YuoTube with vengeance. It has to do with the money trail and copywriters rip off, the dwindling ability to keep your music making money for you, that is why he has little image on the net.

That will probably change soon.....? His music will be more accessible, I am sure.

I can remember vividly dancing all night picking up girls and sweating, just drop flop sweat on the dance floor -GREAT TIMES- fucking non stop, perhaps some of the best nights of my life back in the 80's.

Prince music was a great addition and part of that.

Line of coke slam you up off your chair and 5 back feet hoping the wall will stop you.........yeah that was the shit...........long gone days and nights.

Prince music was great dance music and stellar in its ability to transcend eras of lifestyle....god bless him and I still hope this isn't true.

23 positions ina one night stand...................I gave it my best shot BABY!

I saw a concert of his, from London. I believe perhaps... 10 years ago ?? and I couldn't believe how skilled and -hadn't lost a step- he was a fenom.

Thanks Prince and RIP.
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 04-22-2016 at 10:33 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As a sidepoint after watching horrified at his extended weeks of rimming followed by deep throat, gargle and swallow of Trump cum on his gameshow, I can't think of anyone in showbiz I respect less than Assholio Hall.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clarathecarrot View Post
    I saw a concert of his, from London. I believe perhaps... 10 years ago ?? and I couldn't believe how skilled and -hadn't lost a step- he was a fenom.

Thanks Prince and RIP.
    I was there - will never forget the aftershow gig he played in an ajoining club as a power trio...

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I was there - will never forget the aftershow gig he played in an ajoining club as a power trio...
    How cool would that be..? I am jealous...

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

As far as Prince's vault goes, the relevant question now is who owns it?

He wasn't married, and had no children (that he knew of, anyway). Hopefully he didn't leave his entire estate to the JW's. Even though he was just 57 and probably thought he had more time left on Earth, one would hope - after all his legal clusterfucks with Warner Brothers - that he would be smart enough to take the legal precautions necessary to leave his musical legacy in good hands.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Please, bitch.

Prince wrote shit songs that centered on two subjects:

1. His dick

2. His ego

Sometimes he combined the two but what's the difference?
    That's like 90% of the posts you've written dipshit...

20. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Angel (04-23-2016),Edwards3rdWife (04-22-2016)

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He was a rapist, a homophobe, and a god damn Jehovah Witness. In that order.
    Oh fuck you, he never did any of that...

23. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (04-22-2016)

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Target Field in Minneapolis pays tribute to one of their own....

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Well, he DID do the JW part.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Looking like a Percocet OD, or something related to that....

That's some strong shit... I recall a few years ago when I was taking Tramadol for a shoulder injury, I had to force myself to ween off of it.....

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As far as Prince's vault goes, the relevant question now is who owns it?

He wasn't married, and had no children (that he knew of, anyway). Hopefully he didn't leave his entire estate to the JW's. Even though he was just 57 and probably thought he had more time left on Earth, one would hope - after all his legal clusterfucks with Warner Brothers - that he would be smart enough to take the legal precautions necessary to leave his musical legacy in good hands.
    One of Prince's brothers was going to help him write his book, maybe he got it. Or his sister, Tyka.

More good stuff hitting the Trader's Den...soundboard recordings of the Lovesexy tour rehearsals...the live stuff is what I want out of the vault.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 04-22-2016 at 03:03 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think there are bootlegs of the aftershow I was at in the early hours of August 29th 2007 but I haven't found it yet. None of it made it to the album from these shows probably because it was too rock. I think I mentioned on here before that I was standing beside the sounddesk and at the end of the show the sound guy walked over and literally handed the recording to Prince before he left the stage.

Set list was

Thank You For Talkin' To Me, Africa (instrumental)
    Anotherloverholenyohead
    Calhoun Square
    Chaos and Disorder
    I Like It There
    All Shook Up
    Empty Room
    Spirituality / Johnny B Goode
    Elephants And Flowers
    People Get Ready / When Will We Be Paid (lyrics)
    Baby Love
    Alphabet St.
    Guitar

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I have it.

Soundboard and audience...
    Last edited by twonabomber; 04-22-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So the soundman hands the tape to Prince himself, yet a soundboard tape of the show was bootlegged anyway? How did that happen? Soundman had a second tape deck running, or was Prince leaking his own stuff?

The latter doesn't seem likely, since he didn't even want anything on YouTube. Not as obvious as something like the Black Album where it was pressed and sitting in Warner Brothers warehouses before it was yanked, and so any number of people could have bootlegged it (before it eventually got an official release several years after the fact)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looking at the notes again, I may have two audience recordings. But they're pretty good.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Better yet, go Wiki it you Buffalo turd.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sheriff says they’re “unaware” if Prince has a will or what will happen with his property.

http://jezebel.com/princes-autopsy-r...eks-1772533852

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Looking like a Percocet OD, or something related to that.
    Ha! So The Purple Pecker Eater was doing himself a Winona Ryder by way of Charlie Sheen.

By the way, Percocet is not that strong as compared to Fentanyl citrate or Diluadid.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That's like 90% of the posts you've written dipshit...
    Quit deleting my post you fucking idiot

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    One of the theories floating around is the 3rd world ZIKA virus and he fucked himself up with cold and flu medications. Ya never know, he lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The virus has a stronghold there along with being the Somalian capital of the country.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quit deleting my post you fucking idiot
    Smoke less bad weed you moron! You should pay me to delete your embarrassing shit!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One of the theories floating around is the 3rd world ZIKA virus and he fucked himself up with cold and flu medications. Ya never know, he lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The virus has a stronghold there along with being the Somalian capital of the country.
    Did you Wiki that you pin head?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I heard he had some kind of medical emergency on an airplane recently.
    As I should have known Ford covered that and more news of health issues already. If I was betting on cause of death I'd guess some form of illness as opposed to an OD.
    Last edited by cadaverdog; 04-22-2016 at 06:32 PM.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So Alex Jones thinks the BCE killed Merle AND Prince??
    Zombies killed Merle then Darryl finished off Zombie Merle.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Smoke less bad weed you moron! You should pay me to delete your embarrassing shit!
    You should pay society and up and kill yourself.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Fuck Prince

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Fuck Prince
    Fuck kristy "insert reason"

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Looking at the notes again, I may have two audience recordings. But they're pretty good.
    Yeah I read there were two, one with more crowd sound than the other.

I may need to beg a copy at some point if that's ok...

I hope it's not one of those shows which was way better in the memory but either way it would be a cool keepsake.

To set the scene when you bought the arena ticket there was an option for an extra £20 or so to buy an aftershow ticket at the club. In the majority of cases some or all of his backing bank would play and it stated everywhere there were no guarantees. We talked to everyone and nobody knew if he would show or not, he only did about 4 or 5 times in the run of 21 shows so not great odds. It was a bit of a tough night as we had to wait around not knowing what was going on in the club for about 2 or 3 hours before it all kicked off and I still smoked back then and it wasn't allowed and you couldn't get a re-admisson.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-22-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

46. 3 users say thank you to Satan for this KICKASS post:

Green Manalishi (04-24-2016),Jetstream (04-23-2016),SunisinuS (04-23-2016)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

For the Artists that were formally known as Alive.

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Fuck kristy "insert reason"
    For posting a video of someone unknown with only 45 views.....probably from her watching it 44 times. This guy in his Vid is HUGE! Lol there is no "Cosby" revelation here that rockstars did Coke in the 80s.

Fuck Kristy for never doing Coke. We all should do lines off her belly and make her laugh.

I still have never heard a lick of music out of Kristy....a critic should be able to play. Please post something you did creative on an instrument Kristy. We will give you respect if you do.

Until then you are just a Cat without Cream.

Play us ONE SONG Kristy, as you know what they say....People do, and Teachers don't as they can't. School us all on your beautiful compositions on an instrument and with your vocals. Shut us up.

And one of my favorites...if you only listen to one that I posted...listen to Micheal do it...may Mr.Hedges RIP:

Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-23-2016 at 03:24 AM. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sztAsmgIHGo

48. Thanked SunisinuS for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-25-2016)

Thread Information