Prince is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satan View Post
    Prince & VH signed their deals with Warner Brothers around the same time, so I'd imagine they were equally as shitty.
    I think Prince got the better deal.

With the help of manager Owen Husney, Prince signed a recording contract with Warner Bros.. The record company agreed to give Prince creative control for three albums and ownership of the publishing rights.
    From an interview today with Hunsey:

I understand that, as his first manager, you helped him arrange his contract with Warner Bros., which allowed him a good deal of creative control over his music — considered, I think, unprecedented at the time. Can you talk about his legacy there? Because it seems, over the years, he has always been an advocate for creative control.

There has been no doubt. And when we signed the deal with Warner Bros., I had the great job of going to the chairman of Warner Bros. and saying that an 18-year-old artist, who has never made an album before, is going to be producing his own album and having complete creative control. I didn't relish that meeting!

We kind of organized a test where they watched him in the studio. And at the end of him maybe getting halfway through the song, Lenny Waronker, who was president of Warner at that time, he pulled me out in the hallway and said, "We're going to give him the complete control that you're asking for." So there's an inner talent, a drive, and then there's this ability that's — you either have it or you don't.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 04-22-2016, 02:30 AM.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

He got better as he got older. One of the first times I can say that.

19:11 She is Always in my Hair:

Playing in bands in my youth you always had to buy a Prince Album because you knew you would get some requests to play it. Although I am not a huge Prince fan for all of his songwriting, I was one for his creativity in making an Album during the death of Albums (the 80s). As stated, I betcha he actually has a vault of music that could be well managed by an estate that would constitute Full Albums in the future. The only criticism I have of his songwriting was that once he had a good riff, he would ride it to death without that 3rd riff or bridge. So it was a bit repetitive in one song. For a song like "Kiss" it worked, but on others, just too much of one thing.

RIP The Artist Formally Known as "Alive."

I am sure he would be driving a little red corvette up there.

Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-22-2016, 08:32 AM. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC34ZcDiCag
      Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
        The problem isn't that it's too soon, it's just weak material...
        I should have said the cadaver formerly known as Prince. Gotta get that formerly in there.
        Beware of Dog

Comment

Originally posted by SunisinuS View Post
          The only criticism I have of his songwriting was that once he had a good riff, he would ride it to death without that 3rd riff or bridge. So it was a bit repetitive in one song. For a song like "Kiss" it worked, but on others, just too much of one thing.
          Talking of which of of all the hundreds of songs he wrote his second biggest hit in the UK was 'The Most Beautiful Girl in the World' which is a single same part for verse and chorus with nothing between them, one musical idea stretched to 5 minutes.
          Is that genius or just reflect that the great unwashed public want as simple as possible?
          Who knows...probably a bit of both.

Comment

It has been over 10 years since Prince put the hammer down on the internets and YuoTube with vengeance. It has to do with the money trail and copywriters rip off, the dwindling ability to keep your music making money for you, that is why he has little image on the net.

That will probably change soon.....? His music will be more accessible, I am sure.

I can remember vividly dancing all night picking up girls and sweating, just drop flop sweat on the dance floor -GREAT TIMES- fucking non stop, perhaps some of the best nights of my life back in the 80's.

Prince music was a great addition and part of that.

Line of coke slam you up off your chair and 5 back feet hoping the wall will stop you.........yeah that was the shit...........long gone days and nights.

Prince music was great dance music and stellar in its ability to transcend eras of lifestyle....god bless him and I still hope this isn't true.

23 positions ina one night stand...................I gave it my best shot BABY!

I saw a concert of his, from London. I believe perhaps... 10 years ago ?? and I couldn't believe how skilled and -hadn't lost a step- he was a fenom.

Thanks Prince and RIP.
            Last edited by clarathecarrot; 04-22-2016, 10:33 AM.
            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

As a sidepoint after watching horrified at his extended weeks of rimming followed by deep throat, gargle and swallow of Trump cum on his gameshow, I can't think of anyone in showbiz I respect less than Assholio Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by clarathecarrot View Post
                I saw a concert of his, from London. I believe perhaps... 10 years ago ?? and I couldn't believe how skilled and -hadn't lost a step- he was a fenom.

Thanks Prince and RIP.
                I was there - will never forget the aftershow gig he played in an ajoining club as a power trio...

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
                  I was there - will never forget the aftershow gig he played in an ajoining club as a power trio...
                  How cool would that be..? I am jealous...
                  2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                  clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

As far as Prince's vault goes, the relevant question now is who owns it?

He wasn't married, and had no children (that he knew of, anyway). Hopefully he didn't leave his entire estate to the JW's. Even though he was just 57 and probably thought he had more time left on Earth, one would hope - after all his legal clusterfucks with Warner Brothers - that he would be smart enough to take the legal precautions necessary to leave his musical legacy in good hands.
                    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                      Please, bitch.

Prince wrote shit songs that centered on two subjects:

1. His dick

2. His ego

Sometimes he combined the two but what's the difference?
                      That's like 90% of the posts you've written dipshit...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                          He was a rapist, a homophobe, and a god damn Jehovah Witness. In that order.
                          Oh fuck you, he never did any of that...

Comment

Target Field in Minneapolis pays tribute to one of their own....

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                              Oh fuck you, he never did any of that...
                              Well, he DID do the JW part.

Comment

Looking like a Percocet OD, or something related to that....

That's some strong shit... I recall a few years ago when I was taking Tramadol for a shoulder injury, I had to force myself to ween off of it.....
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...
                                X