King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Rolling Stone has suddenly become useful.

Paul Westerberg on Prince

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...etter-20160422

Unpublished Prince interview from 2014

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-gone-20160422

In Praise of Prince's Long Lost Concert Film, SOTT

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-film-20160422

Questlove remembers Prince

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...r-own-20160425
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yeah, in all seriousness, I get what you're saying. I've always respected what you've had to say and enjoyed reading what you've had to say, and that's not going to change regardless of your indifference to Prince's music.

Music, to me...a band/singer either has an impact on me emotionally when I hear the music or they don't. I either react to what I'm hearing or (in some cases) I don't. And I can't fake a reaction, and see no reason to pretend otherwise, even when said artist passes away and seemingly everybody else is falling all over their asses to praise that artist.

And the whole hub-bub over Prince in the wake of his death rings a bit hollow to a degree in that I can't even remember the last time I heard Prince being mentioned by so many people since the mid-1980s...even after his Superbowl appearance. And I'll bet more than a few of those people who are falling all over their asses now to praise Prince since he died, if you asked them "So, what was your favorite Prince song?" they'd pause for a moment while mentally trying to recollect one, then say "Purple Rain!" because they don't even KNOW any others! It was kinda like when David Bowie died recently, and every other cunt was blathering about how they had "always" loved David Bowie. It's like, no, you DIDN'T always love David Bowie because his record sales post-Let's Dance weren't in any way reflective of the amount of people claiming to have been "diehard" Bowie fans in the wake of HIS death, either.

I mean, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion in terms of if you don't care for Prince, therefore you must be 'wrong'. His stuff either has an effect on you or it doesn't.
    I understand your point - I was mainly saying I'd never got into Prince's music, like I've never got into Iron Maiden for example. Prince was a (maybe the) top notch in his music alley, and Maiden in theirs, but if one doesn't dig their works doesn't allow them to state they suck, it's a trap many people fall through, I agree - I always try not to, safe about artists who actually suck, and there are some.

As far as the automatic craze for freshly departed famous artists, it's just how it goes every time, it's a real drag but you can't prevent it from happening. And yes, suddenly people will praise everything they've done, even the elevator music they might have released like Bowie tended to record mainly in the last 30 years.

Anyway, as my father used to tell me, "if you don't like something, don't try to put others off it".
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    It's not like it's in Main. And knowing that DLR is into old R&B and what he calls "floor," you're surprised that VH fans may be into something else?
    That's true after all, nothing surprising that they're into dance music too.

What's to get? It's not trigonometry, it's music. You got it enough to come in here and bitch...
    That's better, because I don't have much to say about trigonometry.

But that's right, it's only music we're talking about, nothing serious.

Just one thing I thought afterwards about geniusses in music: who are/were they?

I found 4: the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and Queen.

Not necessarily what I dig most listening, but I found those four.

I can see the flaming coming hard now.
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 04-27-2016 at 05:48 AM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe Brian Wilson, and not the whole of the Beach Boys.

Queen...how much credit do their co-producers get?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

I fucking hate queen hahaha fuck Freddie cockduster .

That's for Donniep really

6. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-27-2016)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe Brian Wilson, and not the whole of the Beach Boys.

Queen...how much credit do their co-producers get?
    Indeed... But didn't they all sound like they did because they played together and not with anyone else instead of any of them?

Ringo Starr could never have drummed in the Who, but he was kind of irreplaceable, wasn't he?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post

Ringo Starr could never have drummed in the Who, but he was kind of irreplaceable, wasn't he?
    No.

9. 2 users say thank you to cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-30-2016),Jetstream (04-28-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    I understand your point - I was mainly saying I'd never got into Prince's music, like I've never got into Iron Maiden for example. Prince was a (maybe the) top notch in his music alley, and Maiden in theirs, but if one doesn't dig their works doesn't allow them to state they suck, it's a trap many people fall through, I agree - I always try not to, safe about artists who actually suck, and there are some.

As far as the automatic craze for freshly departed famous artists, it's just how it goes every time, it's a real drag but you can't prevent it from happening. And yes, suddenly people will praise everything they've done, even the elevator music they might have released like Bowie tended to record mainly in the last 30 years.

Anyway, as my father used to tell me, "if you don't like something, don't try to put others off it".
    How in the FUCK have you never gotten into Iron Maiden?

Basically, when I say a certain musician/group sucks, I'm speaking for myself. And by 'suck' I'm saying I have no use for them.

I'd certainly never go onto a site dedicated to a group or artist I have no use for (like, say, a site dedicated to David Lee Roth, for example) and type post after post about how much they suck ("David Lee Roth is lame, any male who liked David Lee Roth's music is a closet homosexual" blah blah blah), because at that point you're just being a useless troll dickhead...even if you're doing it under an alias name, or whatever your motivation is.

I'll engage in frank criticism of a musician or a particular album or performance or whatever.

I just think the whole thing of paying tribute to a famous musician after they die is...I don't want to say useless, but somewhat pointless: hey, Springsteen, why didn't you play a cover of Purple Rain in concert when Prince was still alive and could have enjoyed it? The rest of us don't need you to tell us it was a good tune now that Prince is dead.

If what someone did is worth honoring, it's worth honoring while that person is still alive. When it is done after that person is dead, it's less a case of honoring that person as it is bandwagon jumping (a sheeplike baying of public grief because seemingly everyone else is doing it - Princess Diana's death springs to mind). I mean, how much sadness can one REALLY have for the death of someone they didn't even know...

Whatever. I'm just being a cunt about it. I'll shut the fuck up now.

11. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-30-2016)

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Bruce probably wouldn't have wanted to do a cover of Purple Rain while Prince was alive, because it was one of his signature songs. Much like Bruce himself probably wouldn't want to hear anybody else singing "Born to Run"

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    According to his sister, Prince left no will...
    I know from a good source his sister, Tyka Train Set, is still a crack head and did some really bat crazy shit at Paisley Park a day after Prince's death which makes it surreal she might have some control regarding his music, though a judge might actually find it easy to proclaim her as totally incoherent to lay claim lol

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Bruce probably wouldn't have wanted to do a cover of Purple Rain while Prince was alive, because it was one of his signature songs. Much like Bruce himself probably wouldn't want to hear anybody else singing "Born to Run"
    I think the song was done out of respect for Prince's legacy and I really don't think it was about Bruce wanting any pub

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Everyone seems to be jumping in at the moment...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pretty lights , it's like the Aurora boreyarsehole

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yes the solo in comfortably numb is good but I still don't like the floyd man

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Yes the solo in comfortably numb is good but I still don't like the floyd man
    Never did care for Pink Floyd. I was too busy having fun to sit in some room tripped out on mushrooms or acid or marijuana cigarettes or whatever you people got hi on and listened to that stuff lol. I like some of their songs, just never got into them. They don't smile enough.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Never did care for Pink Floyd. I was too busy having fun to sit in some room tripped out on mushrooms or acid or marijuana cigarettes or whatever you people got hi on and listened to that stuff lol. I like some of their songs, just never got into them. They don't smile enough.
    I liked Floyd before I started getting high. Oddly enough, once I started, they bored me to tears. I honestly got more out of Flintstones and Warner Brothers cartoons by that time.

On that point, did anyone ever see the episode where the Coyote actually caught the Road Runner? It was a "clips" show, wherein the Coyote recalls all the shit he went through over the years trying to capture the Road Runner. In the end, realizing how much of his life was wrapped up in the pursuit, Wile E. let him go.

I've met exactly FIVE people in my lifetime that recall that episode.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I think the song was done out of respect for Prince's legacy and I really don't think it was about Bruce wanting any pub
    I don't think he did it for publicity either, although he should still feel free not to do something similar down the line when the next rock star dies: much like I don't need the Dave Grohl seal of approval to tell me when it's okay to like any given aging rock star who jumps up onstage to jam with the Foo Fighters, I don't need the Bruce Springsteen seal of approval to tell me when it's okay to like any given dead rock star Springsteen decides to cover during one of his shows.

21. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (04-28-2016)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Springsteen played INXS' Don't Change at one of his Australian shows last year. I think he's been throwing in covers here and there.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He did Highway to Hell down there too. Bon Scott was amused by that.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

On that point, did anyone ever see the episode where the Coyote actually caught the Road Runner? It was a "clips" show, wherein the Coyote recalls all the shit he went through over the years trying to capture the Road Runner. In the end, realizing how much of his life was wrapped up in the pursuit, Wile E. let him go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup_or_Sonic

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I liked Floyd before I started getting high. Oddly enough, once I started, they bored me to tears. I honestly got more out of Flintstones and Warner Brothers cartoons by that time.
    I got into Floyd and drugs at the same time. By my mid 20s they started boring me so bad I talked a guy out of playing The Wall at a party by convincing him half the party would nod off from boredom if he did. I got thrown out of a "The Wall" Laserium show for snoring too loud. Drank a wee bit too much Jack on the way in I guess. Still like most of the albums starting with Dark Side to Animals with a few cuts of other later albums. Got into the watching cartoon while blasting hard rock too.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Seen it. And it reminds me of the scene in SATB III when Sheriff Justice catches Snow Man and he hallucinates that it's the Bandit.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I had no idea you were talking about a real Road Runner cartoon until c-dog posted the link. I thought you were talking about the Family Guy parody episode!

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unholy shit... I think I found it....

29. Thanked Satan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-28-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Unholy shit... I think I found it....

\

I had been arguing with someone recently that I had seen the Coyote catch the Road Runner in one of the episodes when I was a kid, and they told me "that never happened, you're remembering it wrong!" They were, like, totally adamant about it.

Am glad I have this as confirmation.

Thank you, Satan.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ford, no offense here, but it would be funnier if you only used the Satan alias sparingly. Kinda loses something when you do it for days on end. I know, it's a pain logging out and logging back in but trust me - sometimes less is more.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I could see that. You hung with yuppies who always had cash, coke and cool cars. Always had some place to go hang out with other cool cats like yourself. We called them soshes. I was a stoner. Let me re phrase that. I am a stoner.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I could see that. You hung with yuppies who always had cash, coke and cool cars. Always had some place to go hang out with other cool cats like yourself. We called them soshes. I was a stoner. Let me re phrase that. I am a stoner.
    I always wondered how it was spelled - was it soshes or soc'es.

Nah, my friends in high school didn't have special cars. And we certainly didn't have much money lol. We did smoke some weed but we mainly drank beer.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oddly enough, in the book "The Outsiders" (which is where the word originated from, as far as I know) they spelled it "socs". So until the movie came out, I always wondered why the rich kids would be described by their footwear?

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ford, no offense here, but it would be funnier if you only used the Satan alias sparingly. Kinda loses something when you do it for days on end. I know, it's a pain logging out and logging back in but trust me - sometimes less is more.
    Don't worry about it... the day is soon approaching when you won't have the Devil to kick around anymore.....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Don't worry about it... the day is soon approaching when you won't have the Devil to kick around anymore.....
    Wow another member Donniep and his gang have scared off

37. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Angel (04-30-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow another member Donniep and his gang have scared off
    No way, never. He knows I was just bustin his Bawllz

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Satan. I fucked him.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Satan. I fucked him.
    Ohhhhh!!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ohhhhh!!
    The Diceman cometh.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck you you rashalist , you posted personal info on Satan. You even used his real name and where he worked .
    If he gets sacked it's your fault.

Fucking nazi

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck you you rashalist , you posted personal info on Satan. You even used his real name and where he worked .
    Is that anything like tea bagged?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is that anything like tea bagged?
    Trust you to be smutty when all was showing was some concern for a fellow member

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fucking nazi
    If "Satan" leaves who am I gonna argue with? And who's gonna post the best conspiracy theories? Nah, I wouldn't want ol' Lucifer to leave. Besides, if he does leave we're gonna have to send out a rescue party when Bernie finally concedes to Hill Dawg. And I certainly can't go looking for him, what with all those reefer addicts roaming the countryside where he lives. I guess we could send Dawg, he's got a high tolerance for the doobage. And just imagine how happy and relieved Ford would be to answer the door and there's ol' Dawg

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was hoping sesh was gonna draft in Elvis so him and ford can dook it out over the election . It would be fun.
    And if axl and slash can make friends am sure sesh and Elvis can get the old band back together

Thread Information