ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Someones done it now

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      I'm not even THAT big a fan of Prince (I'm far more likely to listen to Van Halen than Prince), but rest assured what I said is something I would have also said prior to Prince's death. Simply because that's the way I feel about it.

And speaking of Ed on a technical level, it is just a simple fact that Ed's technical ability on the instrument while not insubstantial is far from what I would consider 'masterful' or that of a 'virtuoso' when I consider the broad (i.e. beyond rock) spectrum of what the instrument has to offer...'virtuoso' and 'masterful' being two terms applied to Ed by others for years and will undoubtedly be reapplied when he dies.

Again, Ed is one of my favorite rock guitarists. Within that field, probably one of the all-time all-around greats. Prince as an artist, musician and songwriter was far ahead of Eddie Van Halen in terms of output and ability. It goes exactly back to what Jetstream said, in that Ed was great at one thing. And I'll make no bones about it in that Ed was great beyond mere Eruption-style solos in that he was a great rock guitarist in terms of composition, riffs and rhythms. Ed can't write worthwhile lyrics, can't sing well and can't produce/record his music in a manner that sounds better than when other producers/engineers do so. Outside of guitar, Ed can apparently play bass well, but for an accomplished guitar player that's not really a stretch. Ed can play keyboards, and I won't minimize the enduring qualities of what he did on Jump, but I'm not going to confuse that with Ed being one of the greatest rock keyboardists of all time.

Now, to be sure, people are doubtless going a bit overboard about Prince since he died. I'm not in terms of expressing how I felt about what Prince brought to the table for me as a talent. I'm not personally sad about his death (inasmuch as I didn't know the man) and outside of his Superbowl appearance 8 or so years back I haven't really paid attention to anything the guy has done since 1998. However, as an all-around prolific popular music talent Prince was the real deal. Ed was a great rock guitar player. And Ed only being a great rock guitar player - one of the all-time greats - isn't a slag or a slam or a criticism. It's just that by way of comparison, Prince was far more than ONLY a great rock guitar player in terms of sheer talent and ability.
      Cheers! I don't agree, but I don't disagree with you either. It's just that Prince's music - and person - have always bored the shit out of me ( but I know some people whom CVH bore the shit out of, starting with my loved one... ).
      Mostly, I feel sorry that on this website that is dedicated to the performer of the late 70s/early 80s Prince, one of the (undeniably true) artists who most get me bored, gets so much praise, may he be dead or not.

Damned... How hard you had to prick up your ears to that music to get why some would wriggle their asses... Sorry but I don't get it.
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        Cheers! I don't agree, but I don't disagree with you either. It's just that Prince's music - and person - have always bored the shit out of me ( but I know some people whom CVH bore the shit out of, starting with my loved one... ).
        Mostly, I feel sorry that on this website that is dedicated to the performer of the late 70s/early 80s Prince, one of the (undeniably true) artists who most get me bored, gets so much praise, may he be dead or not.

Damned... How hard you had to prick up your ears to that music to get why some would wriggle their asses... Sorry but I don't get it.
        Yeah, in all seriousness, I get what you're saying. I've always respected what you've had to say and enjoyed reading what you've had to say, and that's not going to change regardless of your indifference to Prince's music.

Music, to me...a band/singer either has an impact on me emotionally when I hear the music or they don't. I either react to what I'm hearing or (in some cases) I don't. And I can't fake a reaction, and see no reason to pretend otherwise, even when said artist passes away and seemingly everybody else is falling all over their asses to praise that artist.

And the whole hub-bub over Prince in the wake of his death rings a bit hollow to a degree in that I can't even remember the last time I heard Prince being mentioned by so many people since the mid-1980s...even after his Superbowl appearance. And I'll bet more than a few of those people who are falling all over their asses now to praise Prince since he died, if you asked them "So, what was your favorite Prince song?" they'd pause for a moment while mentally trying to recollect one, then say "Purple Rain!" because they don't even KNOW any others! It was kinda like when David Bowie died recently, and every other cunt was blathering about how they had "always" loved David Bowie. It's like, no, you DIDN'T always love David Bowie because his record sales post-Let's Dance weren't in any way reflective of the amount of people claiming to have been "diehard" Bowie fans in the wake of HIS death, either.

I mean, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion in terms of if you don't care for Prince, therefore you must be 'wrong'. His stuff either has an effect on you or it doesn't.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Same thing when Glen Frey died recently.

There was this massive outpouring of media/internet blather about how Frey was one of the most important songwriters of the last 50 years or some such thing.

The Eagles tunes Frey sung on are among the most boring in their catalog for me (and I'm not all that hot on the rest of what The Eagles did to begin with). Glen Frey's solo stuff was even worse, in that my reaction to all of it was utter boredom. Listening to that stuff didn't even arouse enough emotion for me to be angry or bitterly opposed to hearing it. Just bland and boring. Apparently I was in the minority with that opinion, because after he died all I heard and read was one comment after another about his 'genius'. Well, his stuff still was still yawn-inducing to me even after he died, and I have no misgivings about saying so.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            Someones done it now
            Good ol' slave SESH You can always count on him to post a failed musician vid.

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              And the whole hub-bub over Prince in the wake of his death rings a bit hollow to a degree in that I can't even remember the last time I heard Prince being mentioned by so many people since the mid-1980s...even after his Superbowl appearance. And I'll bet more than a few of those people who are falling all over their asses now to praise Prince since he died, if you asked them "So, what was your favorite Prince song?" they'd pause for a moment while mentally trying to recollect one, then say "Purple Rain!" because they don't even KNOW any others! It was kinda like when David Bowie died recently, and every other cunt was blathering about how they had "always" loved David Bowie. It's like, no, you DIDN'T always love David Bowie because his record sales post-Let's Dance weren't in any way reflective of the amount of people claiming to have been "diehard" Bowie fans in the wake of HIS death, either.

Oh Jesus fucking Christ, do I have to explain everything? Prince was an asshole. Bottom line. In his case, this always wasn't a bad thing seeing as he wanted to self-produce and have complete "artistic control" over every little shit he dropped on wax. Problem was, he was an asshole to his fellow bands mates, girlfriends/wives and most of all his fans. Prince had a reputation of acting like a punk-ass bitch his his fan base and alienating them. I found it so surprising why so many are calling him a "genius" when he was the most ungratuitous cocksucker on the planet. Granted, some of his assholeness resulted from being royalty fucked over by his contract with Warner Brothers but instead of being a man about it his painted "SLAVE" on his face and sulked into victimhood. I had zero respect for the guy after that. His ego was just as irksome. I didn't mind his stage flamboyance for that's what made Prince, Prince. Yet he continued to shit on his fans by threatening them with ridiculous lawsuits on anyone who dared to show a "unofficial" vid of him on JewTube. He actually took some cases to court that made that fucking moron from Metallica look like a nice guy.

His "music" after the Warners fallout was at best, fucking abominable. No doubt, he had suits behind him pulling strings whether he would ever admit to it or not but now he just had himself and his cock to write and sing about. Boring. People grew tired of the persona that was Prince and followed him more in the way of a parody of Prince - like how Springsteen does with himself these days. 'Face Down' was the god damn pinnacle of his ego/victimhood assholeness.

By now you can see Prince was believing his own bullshit, comparing himself to Elvis and what is up with the language - wasn't that alone against his Jehovah principles? Fucking hypocrite. Like I said, I'm glad he's gone.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Hmm. He always spoke highly of you.

Comment

• Satan
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Funny how Kristy runs around calling everybody "Slaves", but when Prince calls himself a "slave", she has a problem with it.
                  Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                  I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

She's just babbling incoherent bile at this point.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Poor slave SESH No matter what. A failed musician at the end of every day of his life.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

That would be sad but music has always just been a hobby.

I don't want to sound cruel but how are you managing being a failed person?

Comment

• Satan
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            That would be sad but music has always just been a hobby.

I don't want to sound cruel but how are you managing being a failed person?
                            So...I'm your manager now?

Comment

• cadaverdog
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Satan
                              Maybe she thought it was Prince Albert. Rumors of his emminent demise have been going around for years.
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I won't quote Kristy's post, in case I move it later.

Prince was a great musician, but was also a lousy businessman. There were failed mail order services and failed websites. The websites could have simply been a case of hiring the wrong people to do it. I believe the mail order thing he did in the mid 90's was handled in-house. There are plenty of reports of people who ordered Crystal Ball via mail or telephone and never got it, or received it after the set arrived at retail.

Prince did sue YouTube and eBay in '07, claiming they hosted copyrighted material. And then in November, a bunch of the fan sites formed "Prince Fans United" to fight back against legal requests which, they claim, Prince made to prevent all use of media linked to his likeness. He always ended up dropping the lawsuits.

There were a few web projects that didn't work out the way they were planned. I think the one around Lotusflower was the last one that failed. NPG Music Club, too.
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...