X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Satan
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
    They'd made three albums before Powerage ('78), if you don't count the Aussie-only releases: High Voltage, Dirty Deeds and Let There Be Rock.

Just ask Bon Scott, he must be somewhere around in your place.
    Dirty Deeds & Let There Be Rock were released internationally, though with different cover art and a few track differences. The two Aussie only albums were the first two, "High Voltage" and "TNT". Atlantic Records combined tracks from these two when they released the international "debut" album, which was also titled "High Voltage", to add to the confusion.

The Aussie cover art was definitely better on "High Voltage" "Dirty Deeds" was probably a draw. But the Atlantic version of "Let There Be Rock" definitely had better cover art than the Aussie version. Even if they fucked up the record by leaving "Crabsody In Blue" off the album....

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      About the only thing the band could do that would virtually guarantee good attendances in 20,000 seaters would be to get Anthony back in the group and announce a farewell tour with the CVH lineup.

I would agree with that Terry....

But back on my previous point, perhaps a twinbill lineup with VH and someone like Aerosmith, alternating headlining shows, would do the trick as well.... I don't think Aerosmith is packing them in nowadays as well.....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Satan
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Don't VH and Aerosmith really hate each other though? I seem to remember something about bad blood from the 70s.... and then there was the incident in the mid 90s, where Aeroshit's manager was supposed to manage Van Hagar (at Sammy's invitation). Dude met Eddie right when was going through one of his head shaving meltdown phases and said "Fuck it! I can't possibly deal with this guy AND Steven Tyler".

Which of course, left them vulnerable to be picked off by Ray Danniels, and the rest is history....

Besides, last I heard, Tyler was trying to launch his solo "country" career and Aeroshit was threatening to tour with a scab singer. Sounds like they would be more suited to open for Axl/DC if that's the case.
        Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
        I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          I would agree with that Terry....

But back on my previous point, perhaps a twinbill lineup with VH and someone like Aerosmith, alternating headlining shows, would do the trick as well.... I don't think Aerosmith is packing them in nowadays as well.....
          You know, I don't really see a twin bill lineup with Van Halen and a band of equal (or better) drawing power such as Aerosmith happening.

Personally, such a bill would probably be the only way I'd go to see another Van Halen show, but Van Halen has always opted to tour with bands that have no chance of upstaging them.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
            You know, I don't really see a twin bill lineup with Van Halen and a band of equal (or better) drawing power such as Aerosmith happening.

Personally, such a bill would probably be the only way I'd go to see another Van Halen show, but Van Halen has always opted to tour with bands that have no chance of upstaging them.

Oh, I didn't say I saw it actually happening.... I think if they were smart, they'd seriously consider it....

But then again, we all know who we're talking about....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              Oh, I didn't say I saw it actually happening.... I think if they were smart, they'd seriously consider it....

But then again, we all know who we're talking about....
              Well, Van Halen from 1996 onward hasn't really made a bunch of sensible or logical moves career-wise, to be sure.

Then again, the value of the band/brand name is such that they don't really HAVE to.

Also, the band are clearly closer to the end of their career than they are to the beginning of it. As such, it may make more sense financially for the band to keep plodding along like they are as headliners than split the take with a band of equal billing status.

But I don't even really get the sense that there is a "they" in "if they were smart": the group currently have seemingly got along well enough to do three tours and a couple of albums together in the last ten years, but I don't think there is quite the sense of cohesion or purpose in any of what has transpired in the last decade that there was from 1974 to 1984. Dave needs to front Van Halen if he wants to play large venues, and the Van Halens eventually needed Roth because the last go-around with Hagar didn't end on good terms and getting a 4th singer wasn't an option any promoter was going to give them a sizeable guarantee on.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Satan
                Cliff has been around since Powerage, so that's a long time. But they made 5 albums before him. Mark Evans played on most of the stuff before that, but on their first album, "High Voltage" they didn't really have a permanent bass player yet. Angus & Malcolm's older brother George (who produced the album) played on some of the tracks, and Malcolm played on others.
                Marks book is the best I've read about AC/DC. Great stuff about the early days of the band nobody else will ever write. I think it's time some of these bands call it a day. Sure you get glimpses off what the once were but........honestly it's mostly the singers that do them in live. They just don't have the vocals anymore. This whole Axl /DC is almost pathetic. I like that he wanted too do it but man is his voice shot. Why Slash wanted anything too do with him is beyond me ? Paycheck I guess. Same reason other bands won't stop I guess.

Comment

• Jetstream
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                  Marks book is the best I've read about AC/DC. Great stuff about the early days of the band nobody else will ever write. I think it's time some of these bands call it a day. Sure you get glimpses off what the once were but........honestly it's mostly the singers that do them in live. They just don't have the vocals anymore. This whole Axl /DC is almost pathetic. I like that he wanted too do it but man is his voice shot. Why Slash wanted anything too do with him is beyond me ? Paycheck I guess. Same reason other bands won't stop I guess.
                  I am not a fan of Axl fronting AC/DC because he is the voice of Guns N Roses... but come on man, I have heard Axl recently with both bands and his voice still sounds great in my opinion regardless of his character
                  I got lost in the...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jetstream
                    I am not a fan of Axl fronting AC/DC because he is the voice of Guns N Roses... but come on man, I have heard Axl recently with both bands and his voice still sounds great in my opinion regardless of his character
                    Get your ears checked.

Comment

Working...