Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

Eddie Van Halen Speeding

Eddie Van Halen Got Out of a Speeding Ticket for Being Eddie Van Halen
    By Jeff Giles June 17, 2016 9:36 AM

Sammy Hagar isn’t the only Van Halen alumnus who has a hard time driving under the speed limit.

Eddie Van Halen shared a chapter from his own high-speed history during a recent interview with Car and Driver, admitting that while he and his wife Janie were on their way to a private test drive, they put the pedal to the metal — and attracted a little extra attention from local law enforcement.

“Since I bought the V-8 R8, Audi contacted me and offered for us to go up to Infineon [Sonoma Raceway] to test-drive the V-10 on the track. You know, just go crazy,” said Van Halen. “So [my wife] Janie and I drove up in her Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG. It’s a long drive and we’re doing about 90, 95 in a 65, and I get pulled over and the guy writes me up for a ticket.”

Fortunately for Van Halen’s insurance premiums, the story took an unexpected turn after he and the officer parted ways. “I’m going, ‘The last thing I need is a speeding ticket for that much over the speed limit.’ We get home and I get a letter from my office; the patrol guy who gave me the ticket, his captain voided it,” he continued. “He said, ‘You don’t give Eddie Van Halen a ticket,’ and I had a letter to prove it. The letter came straight from the captain.”

Van Halen might want to repay the captain with a ride in his new Porsche 911 GT3 RS, which he enthusiastically endorsed elsewhere in the interview. “It’s the first time ever I’ve been able to four-wheel-drift a Porsche,” he marveled. “Every other Porsche I’ve ever had, I’ve spun them all. Well, every 911, anyway.”

Read More: Eddie Van Halen Got Out of a Speeding Ticket for Being Eddie Van Halen | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie...ckback=tsmclip
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

America has a very odd legal system, can police captains let celebrities off with all crimes or is it just up to a certain level? How famous do you need to be to qualify?

I know OJ was actually charged with double homicide but was that just because the police weren't fans?

3. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Angel (06-18-2016),DavidLeeNatra (06-19-2016)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 02:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Around here, tickets go right into the computer system. Maybe even before the officer returns to base at the end of his shift. My stepfather's a retired cop, says when tickets were entered manually they'd come in at the end of their shift and all citations were put in a basket, then a clerk would enter them into the city system. Tickets could be voided by the chief before they were entered, but once they got in the system they couldn't be voided without more input from the DA, city law director, mayor, whoever.

And if you believe everything the anti-DUI checkpoint people say, the police can only recommend a charge. The DA reviews it and determines what the charges will be.

Just for reference, a Mercedes ML63 AMG.

and the 911 GT3 RTS

Last edited by twonabomber; 06-18-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

And this is the car that Eddie was on his way to "test drive" when he got the ticket...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Around here, tickets go right into the computer system. Maybe even before the officer returns to base at the end of his shift. My stepfather's a retired cop, says when tickets were entered manually they'd come in at the end of their shift and all citations were put in a basket, then a clerk would enter them into the city system. Tickets could be voided by the chief before they were entered, but once they got in the system they couldn't be voided without more input from the DA, city law director, mayor, whoever.
    I get that maybe a police captain could make something like this go away although I would have thought in California it would be computerised.

What I don't understand is him writing a letter to admit that he had. I guess he was wanting kudos from Van Halen or tickets or something but it seems to me that's a career ending letter to write if he is identified. My best guess is the guy is an idiot.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I know OJ was actually charged with double homicide but was that just because the police weren't fans?
    Nope. It was because he's black.

8. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (06-18-2016)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I get that maybe a police captain could make something like this go away although I would have thought in California it would be computerised.
    Haven't gotten a ticket in years but last time I did they were still written on paper which I imagine must be entered into a computer manually by the officer or whoever's job it is to do that. If there's another wrong when they go to enter it that could cause a judge to dismiss the ticket such as the officer forgetting to sign it they probably kick those back to someone else to decide if they enter the system or not. I imagine it got around the station that Eddie had gotten a ticket and someone pulled a few strings to make sure it got kicked back to that person with probably verbal instructions to dismiss it.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Nope. It was because he's black.
    Well, the LAPD certainly has a reputation for racial inequality, and just being assholes in general. And it certainly didn't help matters when a known racist cop, MarKKK Fuhrman, essentially "framed" a guilty man by planting evidence at the OJ crime scene. Fuhrman is probably the main reason the prosecution lost that case. And it's no coincidence that soon after the trial he "retired" and moved to Sand Point Idaho, right in the middle of the neo-nazi panhandle.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    Trump will soon put an end to all of this.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How? is he going to replace all the cops with Oompa Loompas and appoint John BONER as police commissioner, so they will only be prejudiced in favor of ORANGE people?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Trump will soon put an end to all of this.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well, the LAPD certainly has a reputation for racial inequality, and just being assholes in general. And it certainly didn't help matters when a known racist cop, MarKKK Fuhrman, essentially "framed" a guilty man by planting evidence at the OJ crime scene. Fuhrman is probably the main reason the prosecution lost that case. And it's no coincidence that soon after the trial he "retired" and moved to Sand Point Idaho, right in the middle of the neo-nazi panhandle.
    I agree that Furman was the main reason OJ was found not guilty and it's quite possible even probable he planted the glove at OJ's house. He probably found it earlier at the crime scene on Bundy. He might have been the one that bumped into the cooler behind Kato's room while he was planting it but Kato being stoned thought it happened earlier than it did.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    America has a very odd legal system, can police captains let celebrities off with all crimes or is it just up to a certain level? How famous do you need to be to qualify?

There's no precedent nor any legal means where a police captain anywhere in the US has any authority to write off a traffic citation legally. Based on the way the system is "supposed" to work only a judge could throw something like this out. I doubt the authenticity of this report... seriously... Ed isn't ranked very high on the honesty scale when it comes to his bullshit stories in interviews. History has proven that extensively...

Ed might want to have his lawyers check this out... the "letter to his office" could very well be a hoax and a failure to appear warrant is in his future.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Yay for Eddie - he was out on a public highway endangering his husband and anybody else out there on the road and somehow he thinks it's cool. Being a rock star sucks ass. The money's cool but the rest of it usually comes across slightly worse than pathetic. I mean really - OBC's latest claim to fame is he got out of a ticket?

I bet Sammy is sitting in one of his Ferraris right now making engine noises and laughing his ass off.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

And if you believe everything the anti-DUI checkpoint people say, the police can only recommend a charge. The DA reviews it and determines what the charges will be.

That's true. Years ago I was arrested for assaulting an undercover cop. He tried to kick my feet out from under me from behind while I was cuffed, missed and lost his balance. I fell on top of him. Not sure what they booked me for. Got my dad to post bail. Went to court for my preliminary hearing a couple weeks later and was told the D A decided not to prosecute me at this time and I was free to go.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A speeding ticket in California is only an infraction. It's not really considered a crime. Infractions are fairly easy to have dismissed if you know the right people.
    Speaking of odd legal systems isn't there a popular theory that the real Jack The Ripper was a member of a royal family and the legal system there has helped cover that up for a hundred plus years now?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What I don't understand is him writing a letter to admit that he had. I guess he was wanting kudos from Van Halen or tickets or something but it seems to me that's a career ending letter to write if he is identified. My best guess is the guy is an idiot.
    First off the cop who wrote the ticket probably cut Eddie some slack to begin with and wrote the ticket for less MPH if he was doing 90 95 in a 65 otherwise he would probably have been arrested for wreckless driving. Secondly. Fixing a ticket for a celebrity unless it was for cash money or something of value probably wouldn't get a high ranking cop like that in too much trouble.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Speaking of odd legal systems isn't there a popular theory that the real Jack The Ripper was a member of a royal family and the legal system there has helped cover that up for a hundred plus years now?
    I think that was the plot of a movie or two. The reason for that is how many other people does anyone know of from the late 1800s? Saying it was a vagrant called John Smith who then died of TB doesn't make for as good a story.

Jack the Ripper is like JFK, it's an industry that has created hundreds of books and theories which makes money.

Like JFK it's worth noting that if any one of the theories was correct immediately 2000 aren't. I always found it kind of puzzling that they all kind of prop each other up despite being completely at odds with each other. It's the same as religions...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-20-2016 at 12:24 AM.

Thread Information