X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by twonabomber
    I wonder how much input Ed Leffler had in some of Hagar's business deals.
    I think reading from his book, the answer is he got a lot from Leffler.

Leffler saved him, and even though Hagar was a mid-level album and touring act for a very long time in the late 70s to early 80s, I think he was probably making really good money. Maybe even more than the guys in Van Halen, who were splitting it four ways, and on a not-very-good deal apparently with Warners.

I think Leffler had Hagar on good record and touring contracts, and as the sole or main songwriter on most of his stuff, he would be making good money on album sales that were less than Van Halen's albums. He was also getting big bucks for the odd song here and there on film soundtracks in the 80s - he was on a few of those - and some of those things netted him quite large sums of money. He had a song on 'Footloose' I think - a big film.

I don't know how much these things are worth. But, there is an example that comes to mine - a British songwriter named Nick Lowe. Little known, probably - bit of a journeyman songwriter, like Hagar was before Van Halen - but I remember reading something about one of his songs titled '(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding'. Someone did a cover version of it in the film The Bodyguard - it was never a hit song for Lowe himself. So, it wasn't like it was a big famous song the film producers had to pay more than usual to make use of ... but the success of the movie, and the fact that it was on the soundtrack to the movie, made him multi-millions. I think I read many years ago he said he had made more than £5m from that alone.

So, look at Hagar, and look at all those films - some big hits like Footloose, some cult films like Heavy Metal, or Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and you ask yourself, why was this guy getting songs on all these movies?

Answer - Ed Leffler. Van Halen made copious amounts of money when he was in charge of their affairs. He renegotiated record contracts, extracted the maximum from promoters etc. Who was Van Halen's manager before that? Dave used to say they didn't have a manager, but it was the ex-Sex Pistols US Tour road manager who was employed by Warners more as a heavy duty rough 'em up kind of guy, Noel Monk.

A business-savvy guy like Ed Leffler? I don't know, but I wouldn't have thought so.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm familiar with Lowe. Elvis Costello covered Peace, Love, and Understanding, but I have no idea if it was in the Bodyguard. I don't know who I disliked more, Kevin Costner or Whitney Houston.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

Hagar isn't a business genius he was just around long enough and not completely out his brain on booze or drugs.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

Hagar isn't a business genius he was just around long enough and not completely out his brain on booze or drugs.
          He sold his Tequila business for $80 million. He's made a fortune off the travel agency. He's doing very well with the Cabo clubs, or whatever they're called. He is into another booze venture that will probably end up being a huge profit center for him. I'd say he's pretty fucking close to a business genius.

You're not quite as old as him Sesh, but you've been "just around long enough". Do you have $100 million in the bank? Mansions in Hawaii and California? Own several very lucrative businesses? Own a private jet?

Like I said, we can bash this fucker for writing cheesy love songs in Van Hagar, and whatever other musical shit we don't like about him, but to disparage every single thing the guy has ever had a hand in, is a bit convoluted and ridiculous.

Comment

• cadaverdog
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Von Halen
            You're not quite as old as him Sesh, but you've been "just around long enough". Do you have $100 million in the bank? Mansions in Hawaii and California? Own several very lucrative businesses? Own a private jet?
            I guess we know who Von is backing for next "Most Interesting Man In The World".
            Last edited by cadaverdog; 08-04-2016, 02:58 AM.
            Beware of Dog

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by cadaverdog
              I guess we know who Von is backing for next "Most Interesting Man In The World".
              Not at all. I am as sick of this fucking guy as anyone is. I just find it odd that because he turned VH into a sappy love song band, it discredits every single thing in his life. Montrose was a good band. Short lived, but good. He had a pretty fucking good solo career going before he joined VH. Yes, he exaggerates the magnitude of it, but it was solid. He was playing a lot of the same venues VH played, and selling plenty of tickets. Yeah, the guy can be a douche, but you can't just discredit everything because you don't like his music, or what he's done in his musical career. Not to mention, what you see is what you get with that guy. He's the same guy off the stage, as he is on it.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                Head Fluffer
                • Apr 2012

Not at all. I am as sick of this fucking guy as anyone is. I just find it odd that because he turned VH into a sappy love song band, it discredits every single thing in his life. Montrose was a good band. Short lived, but good. He had a pretty fucking good solo career going before he joined VH. Yes, he exaggerates the magnitude of it, but it was solid. He was playing a lot of the same venues VH played, and selling plenty of tickets. Yeah, the guy can be a douche, but you can't just discredit everything because you don't like his music, or what he's done in his musical career. Not to mention, what you see is what you get with that guy. He's the same guy off the stage, as he is on it.
                I'll continue this Sam lovefest! Seriously though, it's hard to argue with his business success. The Van Halens screwed themselves in the Cabo Wabo Cantina deal. The place was struggling and they panicked and wanted to be bought out. Sam gutted it out and turned the place around, then the Van Halens complain about losing out on the deal!

Terry mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I also have to give the guy credit for helping to sustain VH's success, especially in the 90s. How many of their general peers were still going platinum and filling arenas in '95? AC/DC? Ozzy? Not many.

My main annoyances with him are overestimating the size/importance of his pre VH solo years, exaggerations about the number of records VH sold during his time in the band and the constant hat-hanging on the number 1 albums.

And lastly, look at the volume of work he's put out there since leaving VH vs. what VH has done during that same time period. Not even fucking close. The guy is also fan friendly vs. one of the least fan friendly bands out there.

Well, now that I got Sam up for breakfast, I'm going to take a long hot shower and see if I can scrub myself clean!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Don't forget his fleet of trucks...

Comment

• cadaverdog
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Aug 2007

I was just being a smartass as usual. I'm not a Sammy hater either. As far as Van Halen goes I prefer Roth over Hagar on vocals but Van Hagar put out a few listenable tunes as well. I think it's humorous how some of the people who think Dave can do no wrong will exaggerate Hagar's worthlessness much in the same way they're exaggerating stuff Trump says or does. According to some of them he never made a profit off a business deal, he's a Klan member and he can't wait to start WWIII.
                    Beware of Dog

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

I really don't get the he made a lot of money he can't be all that bad , he is a cunt. Oh we talking trump or Hagar. And as for he has a private jet .... Think hitler had one.

And I was reading that warren buffet (a man who knows how to make money ) said this week that even a monkey could have made more money than trump did with the money he had.
                      Or was it even a monkey could have sang on 5150 ... Something like that .

Now I have it in my head trump and Hagar are the same person
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

That's because he would be richer now if he had just put his money in the bank.
                        I know for a fact you can't prove that because Trump is very secretive about how much he's worth. Depending on his agenda he's either extremely wealthy or barely hanging in there. When he divorced Ivanna he claimed he was broke. As soon as the divorce was final he was rich again.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's like the Palin thing where you don't need to change the words spoken to parody it - actually this version is easier to take...

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Fifty Trump threads in the Front Line and you guys gotta shit this thread up.
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's cadavers fault - we could split and merge the last page with the Frump thread...

Comment

• cadaverdog
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Aug 2007

It's cadavers fault - we could split and merge the last page with the Frump thread...
                                I mentioned Trump in this thread but only to compare how people here talk about him with the way they talk about Hagar. Someone else took the ball and ran with it from there.
                                Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...