Thread: Mike Pence’s Bizarre Beliefs

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Mike Pence’s Bizarre Beliefs

Mike Pence’s Bizarre Beliefs About Condoms Are Not Based In Reality

Just when you thought Indiana governor and vice presidential candidate Mike Pence’s views on reproductive health couldn’t be any more of a bummer, Buzzfeed uncovered a 2002 interview in which Pence asserted that condoms provide “very, very poor protection against sexually transmitted diseases.” (To be clear, this is very, very false.)

It’s a claim he shared with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer after then Secretary of State Colin Powell said in an MTV forum that he believes young people should use condoms to protect themselves. “Condoms are a way to prevent infection, and therefore, I not only support their use, I encourage their use among people who are sexually active,” Powell said.

But Pence argued that Powell’s (reasonable! evidence-based!) stance was, in fact, newfangled hogwash:

The problem is it was too modern of an answer, Wolf. It was ― it truly was a modern, liberal answer to a problem that parents like me are facing all over America, and frankly, all over the world.

That assertion might be delicious in its absurdity if Pence wasn’t a politician who has an appallingly bad track record on reproductive rights ― both before 2002 and since then. This is, after all, the man spearheaded the first bill to strip federal funding from Planned Parenthood, an organization that prevents more than half a million unwanted pregnancies a year thanks in large part to ― wait for it ― providing women with contraception. He also cut Planned Parenthood funding in Indiana, which worsened an HIV outbreak in rural Scott County.

So just in case Mike Pence is still confused about how “modern” condoms are, we’ve put together a little primer for him:

Condoms have been around since FOREVER.

Like, for centuries. Some claim they were first depicted in cave paintings around 11000 B.C.; others place the first documentation at roughly 3000 B.C. when they were used by King Minos of Crete. Sure, a “condom” back then consisted of putting a goat’s bladder into a woman’s vagina to help protect her against disease, but the core concept was there. A barrier that helps keep both partners safe.

As for more “modern” iterations, the first rubber condom for men was produced in 1855, which, as a point of reference, was about 30 years before Karl Benz patented the first three-wheeled motor car. Soooooo modern! So new!!
    Car Culture via Getty Images
    FYI, Mike Pence: This 1886 Mercedes Benz Patent Motorcar came about 30 years AFTER the first rubber condom was produced.

They’re very effective in preventing against disease and pregnancy.

If male condoms are used perfectly, they’re 98 percent effective against preventing pregnancy. With typical use, they’re closer to 82 percent effective against preventing pregnancy. Is that as good as, say, an IUD? No. Does that mean they’re ineffective? Nope.

As far as Pence’s claim that they’re “very poor” at protecting against STDs, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention disagrees. “Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in preventing the sexual transmission of HIV,” the CDC says. “In addition, consistent and correct use of latex condoms reduces the risk of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including diseases transmitted by genital secretions, and to a lesser degree, genital ulcer diseases. Condom use may reduce the risk for genital human papillomavirus (HPV) infection and HPV-associated diseases, e.g., genital warts and cervical cancer.”

They’re not a “liberal” answer to preventing STDs; they’re a people-with-basic-common-sense answer.

Who says people who have sex should have access to condoms in order to help reduce the risk of transmitting STDs? The CDC. The World Health Organization. UNAIDs. Hell, even Ted Cruz has said that the GOP has been mis-categorized as the “condom police,” which is hardly all-out endorsement of the method, but still. When the WHO, Ted Cruz and King Minos of Crete are all on board, it’s time for you to hop on the train as well, Mike Pence. It is time.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    THe GOP vice presidential candidate doesn't think condoms are as effective as they are supposed to be according to the experts. What makes that "bizarre?" Bizarre IMO would be him claiming they assist diseases to spread or actually give you diseases just by wearing one. He's an abstinence guy. So was Carter. Not sure how he feels about condoms but I'm pretty sure he thinks abstinence is preferable. I prefer the pull it out and spray it in their face method.
    Beware of Dog

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    CNN asked then-congressman Pence to appear alongside Democrat Jan Schakowsky of Illinois for a discussion. When Wolf Blitzer asked Pence what he thought of Powell endorsing condom use, Pence had this to say:
    Well, Wolf, I think it was — given the enormous stature that Colin Powell rightly has, not only in America but in the world community, it was a sad day... And the truth is that Colin Powell had an opportunity here to reaffirm this president's commitment to abstinence as the best choice for our young people, and he chose not to do that in the first instance, but — and so I think it's very sad. The other part is that, frankly, condoms are a very, very poor protection against sexually transmitted diseases, and in that sense, Wolf, this was — the secretary of state maybe inadvertently misleading millions of young people and endangering lives.
    Uh-huh. Condoms, the physical barrier which the CDC says are "highly effective" at preventing STDs, offer poor protection, according to Mike Pence, M.D. But he didn't stop there:
    I just simply believe the only truly safe sex, Wolf, as the president believes, is no sex. And we ought to, with leaders of the stature of the secretary of state, we ought to be sending a message to kids across the country and the opportunity had across the world that abstinence is the best choice for young people. But let's be clear, last year, the National Institute of Health, Wolf, and some 28 separate experts said at least a half dozen to ten sexually transmitted diseases for which condom use has zero preventative value. The secretary of state is simply wrong.
    Did the NIH really say that? In a word, no. A 2001 report said condoms clearly prevented the spread of HIV and gonorrhea but there was insufficient evidence that condoms offered protection against human papillomavirus, chlamydia, syphilis, chancroid, trichomoniasis, and genital herpes. But it does not mean that they don't work; it means that more research is needed. As someone close to the report told the Washington Post: "It is extremely important that the public understand the difference between data being inadequate and condoms being inadequate." It is definitely not zero protection.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pence sounds like one of those parents who would rather say "because, that's why." Kind of like what I ran into in Catholic school.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The minute ANYONE starts talking about abstinence from sex as an option for teenagers immediately you know they are fucking idiots.

Research on age virginity lost comparing 'liberal' upbringings with super most abstinence strict religious ones come out at 2 or 3 months difference in the average age. Countries who promote lots of early sex ed have lower rates of teenage pregnancies than the US or to a lesser extent the UK.

If you are 'successful' in managing to stop young men from having sex you end up with fundie fucking nutjobs like those in ISIS.

I don't understand how all these white middle aged men who run the world can so completely forget what it's like to be young. I'm a white middle aged man and I can remember what being a 16 year old male is like to a degree of knowing how utterly ridiculous it is to say don't have sex to someone who would literally walk over hot coals for a feel of a tit. Of course they are all liars and twats and usually far more sexually fucked up than your average joe.

I still want Trump to die asap but it's not encouraging that his would be replacement is also such a fucking idiot.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 08-01-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In addition to his religious fundaMENTALism, he's also a tobacco loving, science denying, Koch whore. In fact, he spent the last weekend at an ALEC conference. No doubt helping them plot the corporate fascism he would implement when he becomes Cheney 2.0
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I get the whole 'the lesser of two evils is still evil' thing but FFS Drumf is a whole new level.

If you can't sort yourself out by November and Drumf wins I will find you personally responsible...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll never be personally responsible. Remember that US presidential elections are ultimately based on electoral votes, and the cunt will take the electoral votes from my "deep blue" state, whether or not I vote for her, vote for Jill Stein, write in Jesus Christ, or shred my ballot and do nothing.

So even if I get so drunk I risk alcohol poisoning, in order to not have any memories of voting for the cunt, it really wouldn't make a difference one way or the other.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I'll never be personally responsible. Remember that US presidential elections are ultimately based on electoral votes, and the cunt will take the electoral votes from my "deep blue" state, whether or not I vote for her, vote for Jill Stein, write in Jesus Christ, or shred my ballot and do nothing.
    In other words nobody should vote because it's a waste of time and effort. If you could convince a majority of the other liberals here that we might end up with a president who might suck as opposed to one that has a record of sucking politically speaking.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    THe GOP vice presidential candidate doesn't think condoms are as effective as they are supposed to be according to the experts. What makes that "bizarre?" Bizarre IMO would be him claiming they assist diseases to spread or actually give you diseases just by wearing one. He's an abstinence guy. So was Carter. Not sure how he feels about condoms but I'm pretty sure he thinks abstinence is preferable. I prefer the pull it out and spray it in their face method.
    It means he's an antiscience, misogynist fuckhead. That's what makes it "bizarre". That a relatively highly paid, educated man in power is spewing complete fucking nonsense in order to enforce his personal morality of "abstinence".....

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I get the whole 'the lesser of two evils is still evil' thing but FFS Drumf is a whole new level.
    What is it about Trump that scares you so much? When you were a child did your mama tell you you better stay in bed at night because Donald Trump is under it waiting to kill you?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    It means he's an antiscience, misogynist fuckhead. That's what makes it "bizarre". That a relatively highly paid, educated man in power is spewing complete fucking nonsense in order to enforce his personal morality of "abstinence".....
    He exaggerated the ineffectiveness of condoms because he believes abstinence is the only sure fire method of preventing the spread of STDs. News flash: He's right. Condoms are only effective under certain conditions. Condoms sometimes fail, been there, done that. If you go chick on top the condoms only keeping her from contacting your bodilly fluids. You're part of the wet spot.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What is it about Trump that scares you so much?
    Pay attention and read.

There used to be maybe about 10 posters here that used to be the mainstay of this forum who were big GW fans around 2003/4.

Their positions became untenable because the thing about an internet forum rather than shit talking in a bar is that what you post here stays here.

They all fucked off and left because they had been completely fucking wrong about invading Iraq and everything else. We have twats like Tony Blair now saying 'well ok we made a mistake but how could we have known we were wrong?'. This at a time when we had a million people on the streets screaming don't do it.

Well it's happening all over again.

You use the nickname 'The Donald' for Trump, you know what his nickname is for you?

It's not even 'scum' because that would mean he gave a enough of a fuck.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Condoms are only effective under certain conditions.
    At a full moon? Thank fuck you aren't sexually active...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You use the nickname 'The Donald' for Trump, you know what his nickname is for you?

It's not even 'scum' because that would mean he gave a enough of a fuck.
    I think that goes for any politician.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I think that goes for any politician.
    Most I grant you but Trump is a different level.

The attitude of 'They are all pricks, let's annoy some people we hate by just voting in the biggest clown prick of them all to show our contempt for the system' is just stupid.

Either put in the hours and build a thrd party from the grass roots up or don't vote or vote for the lesser of two evils.

Don't vote for Satan...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't vote for Satan...
    Is he running? Fucking little red bastard didn't even ask me to be his campaign manager

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Trump is Satan, does that make Hilary the Succubus?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There must be a Monica joke in there somewhere.

Do anything apart from voting Trump is my message. Anything at all.

I base this on an unhealthy interest in US politics combined with watching a couple of seasons of his reality show.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Most I grant you but Trump is a different level.
    Sure he is Kanye.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At a full moon?
    I already answered that question numbnuts. Quit fiddling with your junk and pay attention.

Thread Information