Should Van Halen Reunite with Sammy Hagar?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
    Hells no. It's a fake ass G Shock

And you can try to deflect and redirect and any other big word - but it's only a matter of time until Mas Tequila babayyy!!!
    I think you're right ... I look forward to the great outpouring of anger and hate ...... It warms my cockles
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
      I think you're right ... I look forward to the great outpouring of anger and hate ...... It warms my cockles
      I just wanna know when the tickets go on sale. I wanna be front row and center so I can broadcast the show LIVE. Hopefully Ed will be back on the sauce and writing all over himself with Sharpies by the time they hit Charlotte.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

I just wanna know when the tickets go on sale. I wanna be front row and center so I can broadcast the show LIVE. Hopefully Ed will be back on the sauce and writing all over himself with Sharpies by the time they hit Charlotte.
        I like the idea of you paying to see wolfie

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

I like the idea of you paying to see wolfie
          I will make the sacrifice just so I can see Sam totally fuck up Dave's songs plus I intend to throw cans of beer to Eddie the entire time. Maybe I should throw one of my Roth Army shirts up there, aim it right at OBC's head.

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

I will make the sacrifice just so I can see Sam totally fuck up Dave's songs plus I intend to throw cans of beer to Eddie the entire time. Maybe I should throw one of my Roth Army shirts up there, aim it right at OBC's head.
            Throw your Hagar army one

Comment

• Etienne
              Commando
              • Aug 2010

Same situation with Sam’s voice as with Dave’s. It seems he can’t pull off high notes anymore. So a reunion is out of reach or EVH and Bassplayer have to further down tune their instruments.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Etienne
                Same situation with Sam’s voice as with Dave’s. It seems he can’t pull off high notes anymore. So a reunion is out of reach or EVH and Bassplayer have to further down tune their instruments.
                I disagree. His voice ain't what it used to be but he doesn't just blurt out the lyrics in some cartoonish voice like Dave does on that piece of shit live album VH put out last year. He got better as the tour progressed but I don't think another CVH's greatest hits tour would even do as well as the last one. If Van Hagar does a tour I think they should do Van Hagar era tunes and maybe a solo Sammy or two. Not that I would go see one of those shows but if I was them and I wanted to make another cash grab before it's too late that's what I'd do.
                Beware of Dog

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Well, for me, the truth of the matter is that from the 2012 show I saw live and all the subsequent footage online I saw of the 2015 stuff, Dave has become unlistenable live. He had his shit as hard-wired as it could be on the first reunion tour, but ever since then he's gone back to "forgetting the fucking words, man" and in addition now chooses to spend more than half the set yelling what lyrics he can remember in an off-key voice. Roth's abilities have deteriorated to the point where even if Anthony were to rejoin the band and complete the CVH lineup, it wouldn't be something I'd bother seeing, because Dave's vocals would ruin the experience for me. CVH live (and any hopes of them reuniting) is a moot proposition for me now.

If Dave and the Van Halens want to record again, great. I'd be interested in some new studio stuff from them.

I think one of the critics did make a point that anyone who was interested in seeing Roth front Van Halen has had ample chances in the last decade to do so. I'd tend to doubt another Van Halen tour with the present lineup would generate more interest than the last couple tours did. Maybe if Anthony rejoined that would spike attendance beyond what 2015 had. Short of that, I'd assume not. Now, if that necessarily means that because Van Hagar has been inactive live for over a decade therefore a Van Hagar tour would do better in terms of tickets sold than another Roth fronted VH tour...maybe. Maybe not. I mean, Sammy is up there in age, and HIS voice isn't exactly what it used to be, either. I can't say as I'd have any interest in seeing it. I mean, I never had any interest in seeing the band with Sammy thirty years ago, and it's not like THAT version of the band is going to be playing/singing any better now, either.

Honestly, about the only circumstance that could get me to see the band would be a full-on CVH reunion IF Dave showed considerable signs of improvement with his vocals. Like, to the point where he was singing all the lyrics and in-key more often than not. And only then if ticket prices were around $50 a pop. But I kinda think Dave really can't be bothered to do the work necessary to make the improvements needed. He was basically half-assing it in 2015, and it showed: he was busking it because he could get away with it based on the strength of what a Roth-led Van Halen still means to people in terms of the history of the band and their memories.

Then again, Roth is 62 years old. He has just plain outlived his ability to turn in a passable performance. It's not anybody's "fault" and there's nobody to "blame" for it (outside of Roth and the Van Halens wasting their best opportunity in 1996 and a decade after that to get their act together).
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Etienne
                    Commando
                    • Aug 2010

Dave's hit or miss vocals are good enough for me. CVH was all about party as whole with the fans. It seems perception of some fans have evolved with age. A good sign when mankind starts to think as an individual.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Throw your Hagar army one
                      Which one?

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

CVH could have really profited from getting a recording contract a little earlier in the 70s than they did. They could have made a few more hard rock albums like Fair Warning before they started morphing into Journey.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

Just seen this from Wolf's Instagram. Why on earth post this pic of his uncle's drums now?

"The noise machine"

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I hope VH does do something with Hagar... If anything it might breathe some life back into this board and bring a lot of our Army/DDLR friends out of retirement for some fun, debauchery and shenanigans!!

Wolf posted that picture because for one, it's cool... plus the secret message on the head-stock of his bass...
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Nov 2004

Mark IV???
                              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• TitanTopper
                                Groupie
                                • Mar 2012

I've said it before and I'll say it again...When it comes to the band Van Halen, fuck Sammy Hagar! I listened to it back in the day, but it just doesn't hold up for me today like CVH. In fact, I find most of the Spam material cringeworthy! There are only a small # of CVH songs that I don't find great. ADKOT was even BADASS and Daves lyrics stand head and shoulders above Spammy's "Hey Mama and Yeah Baby's". There is a reason why it's called Roth-N-Roll.
                                "Hey man, that suit is you!!"

Comment

Working...