Today @ 01:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

New Van Halen Book Out Next March

Due out March of 2017...

61ECEY0HDPL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(From CATO's link)...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (09-02-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    That has the potential to be an interesting read, considering Monk is the top-billed author.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

The down and dirty truth... Meh, it's probably nowhere near as interesting as we all thought it was. But I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    The down and dirty truth... Meh, it's probably nowhere near as interesting as we all thought it was. But I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

I agree, not getting any hopes up....

Isn't just so "Van Halen" that we have to hear about anything related to VH from anyone OTHER than the band?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

About the Book

Noel Monk, the manager who shepherded Van Halen from obscurity to one the biggest selling rock groups of all-time, goes behind the scenes to divulge the full story of David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, and the band that changed rock music.
    In the early 80s, Van Halen was the biggest rock band in the world, and by 1984 - when they released their massively bestselling album of the same name they had become the biggest band, period. By any standard, their rise was one of the most thrilling the rock world had ever seen-their mythos an epic party, a sweaty, sexy, never-ending rock extravaganza. And during this unparalleled run of success, debauchery, and drama no one was closer to the band than their seasoned manager, Noel Monk, a man who'd worked with some of rock music's biggest and most notorious names before signing on in 1978 to help a budding band from Pasadena, California come of age. Serving as their tour manger first, and later becoming their personal manager, Monk stayed with them until 1985, when both he and David Lee Roth exited the band amidst controversy, backstabbing, and disappointment.

Now for the first time, Monk shares his side of the famous band's meteoric rise and abrupt halt, both of which left rock music forever changed. During his time behind the scenes, Monk saw it all and lived to tell, as he watched and helped the band grow from nervous amateurs anxious to take the stage to seasoned veterans of the rock scene who commanded arenas. Lifting back the curtain on one of the great untold stories of rock music, Monk shares the most outrageous escapades from his time as confidant, fixer, friend, and promoter-from the band's most sensational behavior on the road to Eddie's courtship and high profile wedding to Valerie Bertinelli to the incredible drug use which would ultimately lead to everyone's demise. Offering a detailed portrait of Eddie Van Halen through never before told stories, Monk reveals the unique combination of talent, vision, hardship, and naivet that shaped one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time, but also left him and his brother especially vulnerable to the trappings and failings of fame.

With biases, egos, and legend clouding many of the Van Halen stories reported to date, this is a tale that only Monk can tell, one that builds on the myth of Van Halen like never before, while also embracing the difficult and dark realities of one of rock's most infamous bands. Messy, entertaining, and most of all fun, RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL is classic lore from rock heaven from one of the few people who was there-on the road with the band, day in and day out. Complete with dozens of neverbeforeseen photographs from Monk's vaults of images, files, tapes, and other artifacts, RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL is a delicious, yet balanced inside account of one of the most successful, talented, and wild and bands of all time.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Lifting back the curtain on one of the great untold stories of rock music, Monk shares the most outrageous escapades from his time as confidant, fixer, friend, and promoter-from the band's most sensational behavior on the road to Eddie's courtship and high profile wedding to Valerie Bertinelli to the incredible drug use which would ultimately lead to everyone's demise.
    Maybe a slight exageration there...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

The subtitle at one point was "...behind the rise of Van Halen." I wonder if a little birdy chirped in his ear, "Really dude? Change that word."

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I still tend to think it would have a few interesting tales, if only because Monk did work closely with the band for the CVH years and was in a position to have actually been privy to the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm most interested in the '85 split, so hopefully he'll have something new to add there as I feel we've never heard the entirety of what really happened (and probably never will).

Speaking of clusterfucks, isn't the 20th anniversary of the infamous MTV VMAs sometime in the next couple of days or so?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    I'm most interested in the '85 split, so hopefully he'll have something new to add there as I feel we've never heard the entirety of what really happened (and probably never will).

Speaking of clusterfucks, isn't the 20th anniversary of the infamous MTV VMAs sometime in the next couple of days or so?
    I think the 1985 split was basically what we have been told by Dave and Ed in various interviews. I'd be interested to hear some insider tales about that, too, though. What I wonder is how much of this stuff Monk actually still remembers.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think the best overview of what happened with the split is the combination of these two articles....

Greg wrote this one -
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david...eft-van-halen/

But also read this one about Pete Angelus:
    http://www.vhnd.com/2016/04/07/did-r...#ixzz45CAooiue

Why I listed both is because Greg wrote his article BEFORE the MTV interview with Angelus....

And it's the Angelus statement that the band had agreed to take a year off that makes me scratch my head.... They "shouldn't" have had a problem with DLR's movie ambitions if they were all going to take a year off, although it's quite possible that EVH/AVH just said fuck it and fired DLR.....

13. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I picture the conversation with the Van Halens wanting to slow down and do fewer but bigger shows and Roth suggesting they just take a year/a long break off instead and they say fine.

A while later when they sit down and think about it they decide that they have been stitched up, left to sit around while Dave builds his solo career up for a year making him more powerful.

15. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2016)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think the 1985 split was basically what we have been told by Dave and Ed in various interviews. I'd be interested to hear some insider tales about that, too, though. What I wonder is how much of this stuff Monk actually still remembers.
    I'd love to hear a third party's view. But I think a lot of it was between Dave and Ed, two very cryptic and private people...

17. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The thing is, by the time 1985 rolled around, Ed had already guested on Michael Jackson's Beat It, played on an album with Brian May and various other guest player one-offs. It's hard to imagine Roth doing his solo ep as being something the Van Halens would have problems with, unless it was the fact that the ep and the videos turned out to be as successful as they were.

I can see the Van Halens by 1985 being tired of being told what to do by Ted Templeman, Noel Monk and being tired of Roth. By all accounts, Roth and the Van Halens were never all that friendly, and Eddie never really respected Dave as a singer. The tensions were there for years, but when they reached that career peak with 1984, it wouldn't be surprising to find out that the Van Halens had enough of being managed by others. Including Dave.

Like, what they had as a unit worked when they were all on the same page musically and on their way up, to the point where it overshadowed their personal differences. Once they made it, though, I'm sure Ed started questioning why he should have to be playing as many covers on Diver Down as he did, or having to fight to get a tune like Jump recorded. And apparently Dave wasn't too thrilled with Jump. Or I'll Wait. And wasn't thrilled with the music coming out of the rehearsals that ended up being the template for what eventually became 5150.

Once the musical chemistry was no longer working, I'm sure the personal differences slowly became more and more unbearable.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I'd love to hear a third party's view. But I think a lot of it was between Dave and Ed, two very cryptic and private people...
    The only other person who might have been witness might be Ted Templeman. I'm not sure at what point the band was in recording their next album at the time Dave left the band, but it's possible the producer might have been up at Howdy Doody Mountain.

There must be a reason Ted went with Dave, and would only work with Van Hagar on F.U.C.K. which wouldn't be for another 6 years or so. And wouldn't come back to work with the reunited band in 2012, for that matter.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Was he asked? Ted has only produced 3 albums in the last 25 years.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That has the potential to be an interesting read, considering Monk is the top-billed author.
    I'll give it a read. I'm sure it will have great personal stories in it. I would think anyways. At the same time I wonder if it will come off as authentic as Greg's book. I could feel the late 70's L.A. Breeze reading it. But like anything else V.H. we get to sit and wait for it. What a shock there right ? God forbid they put it out earlier for a Christmas release if it's completed. This guy should work with the band again. They can make slow bad decisions together !

22. 2 users say thank you to 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (09-08-2016),Terry (09-08-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I'll give it a read. I'm sure it will have great personal stories in it. I would think anyways. At the same time I wonder if it will come off as authentic as Greg's book. I could feel the late 70's L.A. Breeze reading it. But like anything else V.H. we get to sit and wait for it. What a shock there right ? God forbid they put it out earlier for a Christmas release if it's completed. This guy should work with the band again. They can make slow bad decisions together !
    Yeah, I don't quite have expectations that it will be as good as Greg's was. Greg's was simply (by far) THE best book I've ever read about Van Halen, and that includes the parts of Roth's CFTH book that dealt with the band.

But I think it has the potential IF Monk is still coherent and can actually remember what happened. On the other hand, it could be a case of Monk and Monk's co-author just wanting to use Monk's name to cash-in, and it ends up being a Hammer Of The Gods bullshit myth-fest.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As representations of truth autobiographies are terrible.

Everyone's memory is much worse that you think. Add a bunch of booze blow and everything else plus 30+ years and the inbuilt bias of autobiographers to make themselves look good and who knows anything anymore.

The science of memory is just scary and all scientific studies of it are depressing. One way to think of it is that every time you remember something it's like a file on your computer being created and overwriting the original one which is then gone forever. If you remember something wrongly once then that false memory is there for keeps and exactly as true to you as remembering this post you are reading.

More important than this trivia if you are ever on a jury please remember that eye witness accounts are far less reliable than you would instinctively ever imagine.

If Monk kept a daily written diary which was honest at the time then great, otherwise it's all just a bit more entertainment...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-08-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, yeah, that's the thing.

I mean, basically the Van Halens (to the strong consternation of Roth) fired Monk after the 1984 tour concluded, so with this book I'm pretty much expecting what Monk has to say about the Van Halens will end up being less complimentary than whatever he says about Dave.

In terms of the period between the end of the 1984 tour and Roth leaving the band, while those 6 or so months haven't been chronicled down to the day, the essence of what happened has been discussed by the band members in interviews near to the events. And I'd tend to give those takes on what happened far more weight than anything any of them would say about that period today. And even on a specific subject like Dave leaving the band, Pete Angelus says that Roth and the band agreed to take a year off, then the rest of the band said they didn't want to take a year off while Roth was making his movie so Ed basically made a press release to Rolling Stone saying Roth quit, and Roth was supposedly blindsided by all of it. All of which kinda flies in the face of the conventional wisdom of what happened. Yet, Angelus like Monk was also someone in the know and active with Van Halen behind the scenes, so who do you believe at that point?

As you say, Sesh, should it be the case that Monk kept some sort of a journal at the time then maybe you give what he has to say more weight as opposed to him 30 years after he stopped working for the group sitting around trying to remember.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

so who do you believe at that point?
    And that's what it comes down to for me. Did they all mutually agree to an extended break? If so, why would they care how Dave spent that time? It reminds of the old favorite of how Dave came to be in the band- "we got tired of paying Dave to rent his PA". Then you read Greg's book and it wasn't nearly as simplistic as that. Same thing with the whole "Dave quit to be a movie star" narrative that the VH's put out there. I just don't see it as being that simplistic. I know they expanded a bit in subsequent years - basically, their personal differences made their working relationship untenable - but the Dave quit to be a movie star is still a strong narrative/lore, much like Dave's departure date being 4/1/85.

Sam talked about putting out Unboxed in '94 and how the money from that was going to be used to pay off his wife in their divorce. He said he told the VH's about it and his reasons for it and they were supposedly cool with it. Then at some point in the future they got twisted about it and even held the release of it against him. Seems very similar to the whole break thing- agreed upon, then becomes an issue.

I guess with the fog of time we'll never get a clear picture, but damn it, I want a clearer picture anyway!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Basically you can't believe anything that comes out of OBC's mouth, or Al's. And Dave has a habit of telling things in a larger than life way and tends to exaggerate. My guess is the break up happened for all of the reasons all of the guys have claimed over the years but it really all boiled down to they couldn't stand one another. So there's some truth to everything all of them have said but they all either exaggerated or tossed in a few outright lies that suited their particular narrative.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Maybe a slight exaggeration there...
    No. They're all dead. Except Mikey. The guys we see now are all impostors like Paul McCartney.
    Last edited by cadaverdog; 09-10-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    No. They're all dead. Except Mikey. The guys we see now are all impostors like Paul McCartney.
    Well, they need to hire a new Dave because the one they have kinda sucks. Plus he has really bad hair

Thread Information