X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I brought this up with a bunch of friends recently and it turned out none of us had sung our national anthem since we were around 10 years old.

It doesn't help if you are a Scottish athiest republican as I don't agree with any of the words to God Save the Queen.

Well, Sesh, for Americans of a certain age, we were brought up with a mandatory pledging of allegiance to the American flag every morning in grade school (ages 5 to 12). The history we were taught at an early age was always American-centric, and we were actually instructed that it was Manifest Destiny (or God's Plan) that the American colonists expand and conquer what is now known as The United States. Now, I don't know if it was my being brought up during the Watergate/Vietnam era, but even when I was in grade school I was never one to go all gooey-eyed at the sight of the American flag. I went to church during those years as well, and I never had a belief in a Supreme Being, either. I was never vocal about either of those beliefs or feelings (I went along to get along).

The real eye-opener for me was spending two years being educated abroad in my late teens in Europe, where one learns rather quickly that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily think America is the be-all, end-all, all-time apex of Western Civilization. Exposure to that mindset, as well as reading history from non American-centric texts (which chronicle America's historical interactions with the rest of the world through a prism other than that of Manifest Destiny), taught me to be a bit more critical about this country I live in...more critical than merely spouting bumper-sticker slogans such as "America: Love It or Leave It!" and telling anyone else who questions what we do as a nation that "if you don't like it, get the fuck out!"

People still wonder how fascism via the Nazi Party took over Germany. I have to tell you, all it would take is the right set of circumstances and the right type of demagogue to come along at an opportune time and pitch his candidacy in the guise of nationalism, and I could see the United States go the same way. There are plenty of people in this country who are willing to do whatever the government tells them to, are undereducated and underemployed and reflexively turn to xenophobia as a means of explaining all the problems the country has. And it all starts with things like compulsory flag salutes, supporting the President no matter what he (or she) does, having a fetish for the use of our military and treating soldiers like they are warrior gods to whom we owe our blind allegiance and without whom we would be enslaved.

Although in all fairness, America did invent the Big Mac, so there's one thing in our favor. We also pioneered adult-onset diabetes, but you know...yin and yang.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think the inward looking thing is maybe a bit better than it was 20 years ago but that could just be because of all the foreign wars.

The thing that did strike me recently which I'm not even sure an American would notice was watching a YouTube of American coverage of a race at the Olympics. Michael Johnson was working for UK TV during the Rio Olympics. Anyhoo I looked up a race they mentioned and the American commentators don't mention another runner during the race. At the end they didn't even say which foreigners got silver and bronze.
      Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-06-2016, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Kind of like NBC's coverage this year...
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• cadaverdog
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Aug 2007

I think Colon has the right to feel or say anything he wants about this country. He also has the right to leave anytime he wishes. America is funny like that.
          Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            Kind of like NBC's coverage this year...
            Except for Usain Bolt, of course. It would be a bit difficult to cover the track events by ignoring him. I think the Americans won most of the races that he wasn't in though.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• cadaverdog
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Terry
              People still wonder how fascism via the Nazi Party took over Germany. I have to tell you, all it would take is the right set of circumstances and the right type of demagogue to come along at an opportune time and pitch his candidacy in the guise of nationalism, and I could see the United States go the same way.
              Nationalism is patriotism transformed into a sentiment of superiority and aggression toward other countries. Somebody would really have to piss us off first before that would happen. Gotta establish a little more patriotism here first. This Sunday is 9/11. I hope 15 isn't some holey number number.
              Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...