Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

The 10 Best Van Halen Songs according to Steel Panther's Michael Starr

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-09-...david-lee-roth

The 10 Best Van Halen Songs according to Steel Panther's Michael Starr

Sorry Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone. The Steel Panther vocalist only has ears for the Diamond Dave era of Van Halen

Before fronting LA glam metal band Steel Panther, singer Michael Starr spent over a decade performing in a David Lee Roth-era Van Halen tribute band called Atomic Punks. You might say he’s the band’s biggest fan.

“There was only a short period where Van Halen were top shelf, but from ’78-’84 was when the magic was happening,” says Starr. “Nobody could duplicate that. When you went to their shows you were guaranteed to laugh and have a good time. And I want to be entertained; I don’t want to watch people just stand there and stare at their shoes. Van Halen had charisma. They were funny and sexy at the same time.”

We set Starr the challenge of picking his 10 favourite tracks from the Roth-era Van Halen, but he said he couldn’t rank them in descending order because “they’re all awesome and they all represent something different.” So he just went through the albums in chronological order instead.

Here’s his list…

10. Feel Your Love Tonight (Van Halen, 1978)

“Feel Your Love Tonight stands out for me because they played it when I saw Van Halen live for the first time in LA, and when the music broke down and they went into the three part harmony with David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony and Eddie Van Halen it was so awesome. It’s also just a fun party song.”

9. Beautiful Girls (Van Halen II, 1979)

“Next would be Beautiful Girls, man. Who doesn’t love hot chicks? And when you sing about them it makes them happy. Whenever I think of Beautiful Girls I think about girls in jean shorts cut off really high so you can see their butt. And there’s really nothing better than short shorts, tanned skin and blond hair. You know what I mean?”

8. D.O.A. (Van Halen II, 1979)

“This is another song off Van Halen II. It’s a bitchin’ song because of the harmonies and the solo, and I’m not going to say that it’s easy to play but it was one of the first Van Halen songs that I learnt to play on rhythm guitar, so it’s a very important song for me.”

7. Outta Love Again (Van Halen II, 1979)

“There’s a scream that David Lee Roth does in the verse to this song, and that’s what inspired me to first start learning how to scream. I would try and imitate what he does and I had a hard time perfecting it but I kept on trying because I really liked it. I’d come to find out years later, after meeting him, that it’s a super soft falsetto scream, but it doesn’t sound like that on the record - it sounds like he’s screaming at the top of his lungs.”

6. And The Cradle Will Rock... (Women and Children First, 1980)

“This is a song that I relate to John Bonham’s death. I remember hearing the song on this radio station in LA whilst I was in my uncle’s car and he was like, ‘This is a killer song!’ Then right after the song was done playing they announced that John Bonham had died. So it always sticks in my head for that reason. It was like, ‘Here’s the new Van Halen song… Led Zeppelin’s drummer’s dead.’ Bittersweet, man.”

5. Everybody Wants Some (Women and Children First, 1980)

“I fucking love this song, dude. The lyrics in the verses were Roth doing this new blues thing, and the chorus line rings so true to me because everybody wants some of whatever the fuck it is - everybody wants blow and everybody wants chicks. It’s true. So the chorus always stuck out, and it’s a really fun party song with a nice little jungle feel at the beginning. I found out later that he improvised the middle part too, where he’s singing about ‘the way the line runs up the back of the stockings.’ That’s fucking bad ass.”

4. Unchained (Fair Warning, 1981)

“Let’s have Unchained next. This song was a big influence on me. I love this song. It’s probably the coolest heavy metal radio-friendly song ever written. It’s fucking badass. It’s like Round and Round by Ratt, but three years prior. They were both number one hits, but also full-on rock songs, and Unchained was the first metal song to do that. It’s short and sweet, with a bitchin’ solo, killer vocals and great harmonies.”

3. Panama (1984, 1984)

“You’re gonna kill me for this one, but next is gonna be Panama. I had a buddy at high school called Dave and he came up to my house one day and said, ‘Dude, I heard the new Van Halen song. It’s called Tell Your Mom. It’s so killer.’ And then I heard the song and I was like, ‘That’s not called Tell Your Mom, it’s called Panama.’ This was obviously before the Internet and cell phones, so you’d have to listen to the radio for like three hours to be in with a chance of hearing your favourite song. So that’s how I remember that one.”

2. I’ll Wait (1984, 1984)

“This song was a departure for David Lee Roth vocally because he actually sang a super high melody, which sounded completely different to anything he’d ever done before. And that made me want to broaden my horizons and try something different as well. It was really fun to watch Van Halen get bigger and bigger around this time, too. Every single they put out was on the radio all the time, and I truly felt justified in my love for the band by this point.”

1. Jump (1984, 1984)

“It’s so clichéd because everybody knows it, but I have to put Jump in there. That would probably be my number one song by Van Halen because it’s not only a super killer rock song, it’s also a pop hit. And it has keyboards rather than guitar riffs, which was something completely for them. They really stepped out of their box and it sounded killer, and the combination of the video and the song made it even greater. You can’t argue with a song that everybody’s mom knows either. This song hit a chord with everybody, man.”
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 4,722 Posts

Absolute bullshit on the top 2, Ralph.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,502 Posts

Blog Entries
    My personal top 10, in no particular order:

1. Romeo Delight

2. Sinner's Swing!

3. I'm The One

4. D.O.A.

5. Outta Love Again

6. Hear About It Later

7. The Full Bug

8. Girl Gone Bad

9. House Of Pain

10. Drop Dead Legs

Ralph's has too many of the greatest hits/most amount of airplay tunes on it for my tastes.

I mean, I'll Wait? I really don't think so.

4. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (09-11-2016)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2022 @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree that I'll Wait is in the Top Ten. Dave dies to show an artistic/eclectic side to his music. This is a prime example. As much as it was a gamble to include Jump, this was also a risk. Both were a huge win.

Also, "You're No Good" was a risk. But I would not put it in the top ten.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

"And there’s really nothing better than short shorts, tanned skin and blond hair. You know what I mean?"

I couldn't have said it better myself.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    My personal top 10, in no particular order:

1. Romeo Delight

2. Sinner's Swing!

3. I'm The One

4. D.O.A.

5. Outta Love Again

6. Hear About It Later

7. The Full Bug

8. Girl Gone Bad

9. House Of Pain

10. Drop Dead Legs

That's close enough to mine to save me the time trying to work it out...

8. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-12-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    That's close enough to mine to save me the time trying to work it out...
    I obviously have far more than ten from the 6 pack that I really enjoy, but those ten listed are probably my definitive ten.

It's easier for me to come up with ten CVH tracks I either have no use for now, or have never had any use for:

In no particular order:

1. Could This Be Magic? - yeah, it's got that boozy charm of a strummin' geetars around the campfire tune, but even back in the day I never really warmed up to that tune.

2. Where Have All The Good Times Gone? - Not really distinctive far as VH covers go: they really didn't do anything special to 'Van Halenize' it, and the guitar solo is as close to throwaway as CVH ever got.

3. I'll Wait - far too meek and dour, both lyrically and musically. It's a letdown and a buzzkiller, especially on the album as it follows HFT: a harbinger of what was to come when Roth left and Hagar joined.

4. Jump - I was never thrilled with this tune...not nearly as thrilled as apparently everyone else on the planet was. It had an interesting lyric, but it lacked balls for my tastes far as VH went. This tune ushered a whole bunch of chickenshit yuppies into the VH fan tent who had no use for the band prior to 1984, and these late-to-the-party wankers who loved Jump were the same lame-o's who were vocally glad when Dave left and Hagar joined.

5. Dancing In The Street - I actually liked the synth riff and the arrangement, but wasn't particularly fond of the fact that it was applied to the old Martha and the Vandellas tune. Not because I had any particular fondness for the original. but I would have been more interested to have seen the band apply the synth riff and arrangement to an original tune than the one they did.

6. Happy Trails - this always worked much better for me as something they did at the end of shows with the four of them standing at the front of the stage than on record.

7. Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now - in a way, it was kinda charming that the Van Halens did something with their father on record. And it certainly demonstrated that CVH were capable of diversity, but it just isn't really what I want from CVH when listening to them. I never listened to it much back in the day when Diver Down was new, and were I to put the cd in now I'd doubtless skip the track altogether.

8. In A Simple Rhyme - not a total dud of a track, but the tune smacks a bit too much of the band trying to do something Zeppelinesque (particularly the intro, the bridge and the guitar solo...basically, most of the tune).

9. And The Cradle Will Rock - a bit boring and repetitive, particularly the main riff: by mid-point, it's like "enough already, I get it!" Roth's semi-comic delivery and lyrics (much like Jump) are about the only parts of the tune I can stand.

10. 1984 (title track) - probably indicative of the hundreds of hours of tape in 'the vaults' at 5150: Ed 'noodling' on a synth = yawn. The least-inspired or inspiring bit of music to start off any of the CVH albums.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The one I really don't agree with is 8, In a Simple Rhyme which I still like lots.

I could survive never hearing the others again although there are a couple I have some sentimental attachments to.

I would add Pretty Woman and Intruder.

I'll Wait is one of those that brings up the point that it's slightly strange that 70s music aged better than 80s.

It's like listening to A-ha or something apart from the guitar solo. Does US radio play that song?

I do wonder if it's the case that Van Halen feel they have to play I'll Wait and Pretty Woman purely based on their chart positions back in the day rather than whether the band or the audience want it...

Also worth pointing out that they recorded 60+ songs in 6 years while doing many hundreds of gigs and young boozed up and everything else so even if 20% were weaker that's still a pretty good hit rate.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-13-2016 at 12:12 AM.

11. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-13-2016)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Corporate owned "classic rock" stations only seem to have copies of the first album and 1984 these days. And only the "hit singles" from those albums, no less. Which unfortunately includes the synth pop tunes from 1984.

Can't remember the last time I heard anything from VHII, WACF, or Fair Warning on the radio. Pretty Woman now and again, but that's about the only thing from "Diver Down" that gets air time.

Fucking ridiculous... the whole goddamned 6 pack meets the very definition of "classic rock", and if they would rotate the songs on the playlist regularly, it wouldn't be so easy to get sick of them.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The one I really don't agree with is 8, In a Simple Rhyme which I still like lots.

I could survive never hearing the others again although there are a couple I have some sentimental attachments to.

I would add Pretty Woman and Intruder.

I'll Wait is one of those that brings up the point that it's slightly strange that 70s music aged better than 80s.

It's like listening to A-ha or something apart from the guitar solo. Does US radio play that song?

I do wonder if it's the case that Van Halen feel they have to play I'll Wait and Pretty Woman purely based on their chart positions back in the day rather than whether the band or the audience want it...

Also worth pointing out that they recorded 60+ songs in 6 years while doing many hundreds of gigs and young boozed up and everything else so even if 20% were weaker that's still a pretty good hit rate.
    Yeah, a lot of people really like In A Simple Rhyme. I don't hate it as such, but for me it isn't one of the band's strongest tunes. It feels somewhat forced.

I sort of like Intruder and Pretty Woman, in that at least with Pretty Woman they did 'Van Halenize' the tune. Having said that, Pretty Woman has always for some reason worked better for me on record than when the band or Dave solo played it live. Intruder comes across exactly like what it is: a bit of filler music the band came up with on the spot to fill out the audio for the Pretty Woman promo video. To be frank about it, Ed's feedback scrapings on Intruder become abrasive to the point of obnoxiousness really quickly.

Yeah, I'd imagine they continue to play Pretty Woman and I'll Wait live precisely because they had respectable chart positions when initially released as singles. Much the same way as they will always play Jump at every show. And I get it as to why. That being said, if I saw the band and they had failed to play Pretty Woman or I'll Wait, I wouldn't have been like "what the fuck?!" I wouldn't miss them not playing Jump, either, although were THAT tune to be omitted I suppose I would think it odd they didn't play it.

US radio down where I'm at still plays Pretty Woman, I'll Wait, Panama, Jump, Hot For Teacher, You Really Got Me, Running With The Devil, Dance The Night Away and Ain't Talking 'Bout Love regularly. I also hear Unchained and Dancing In The Streets, although with less regularity than the other tracks I mentioned.

Oh, I'd agree 100% that considering the band basically put out an album a year from 1978 to 1984, overall those albums are superlative.

I like the first one from start-to-finish. Every track.

I like the second one from start-to-finish. Every track.

The third one, when it cooks (Everybody Wants Some. Fools, Romeo Delight, Loss Of Control. Take Your Whiskey Home) the tunes are right up there with the band's best.

I like the 4th one from start-to-finish. Every track.

The fifth one is a mixed bag for me. I love Hang 'Em High, Cathedral/Secrets, Little Guitars and The Full Bug. The rest of it I either merely like or don't care for.

The sixth one is a slight improvement. Once Panama kicks in, I like the rest of the album with the exception of I'll Wait.

Plenty of other rock bands/acts I like don't have anything close to the ratio of CVH in terms of consistently excellent tracks and albums release after release.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Corporate owned "classic rock" stations only seem to have copies of the first album and 1984 these days. And only the "hit singles" from those albums, no less. Which unfortunately includes the synth pop tunes from 1984.

Can't remember the last time I heard anything from VHII, WACF, or Fair Warning on the radio. Pretty Woman now and again, but that's about the only thing from "Diver Down" that gets air time.

Fucking ridiculous... the whole goddamned 6 pack meets the very definition of "classic rock", and if they would rotate the songs on the playlist regularly, it wouldn't be so easy to get sick of them.
    Yeah, about the "deepest cut" from Van Halen I ever hear on corporate radio is Unchained, and personally I wouldn't even consider that a deep cut.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's weird how these things seem to just be decided by some fucking meeting of rock radio stations heads who decide a couple of songs for each band.

For example rock radio seems to have decided that the best Def Leppard song of all time and possibly one of the best rock songs ever is 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' to the point now that I'm starting to truly despise it.

If it was purely on single sales then you probably shouldn't be getting Running With The Devil and Ain't Talking 'Bout Love. ATBL didn't chart at all anywhere according to Wikki.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

When you have three companies owning most of the radio markets in the US, it doesn't have to be that large of a meeting.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

It's weird how these things seem to just be decided by some fucking meeting of rock radio stations heads who decide a couple of songs for each band.

For example rock radio seems to have decided that the best Def Leppard song of all time and possibly one of the best rock songs ever is 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' to the point now that I'm starting to truly despise it.

If it was purely on single sales then you probably shouldn't be getting Running With The Devil and Ain't Talking 'Bout Love. ATBL didn't chart at all anywhere according to Wikki.
    LOL The local rock station is like comfort food for gen Xer's. You can set your watch by the offerings of Bob Seger, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Led Zeppelin...they do play mostly the classic edition of Van Halen though...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

It's a bit of a worry you didn't fucking truly dispise pour some sugar on me anyway .... And obviously I am using worry when I mean major character flaw

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can't do these best of or worst of because it changes ....
    Well ones I duck cd wise .... tattoo , I'll wait , dancing in the street ( fucking awful ) oh they ya go I can do a worst of.

And I would like to back simple rhymes play as I always liked it. And could this be magic is just in a simple rhymes into

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

It all ties into what Ford and Nickdfresh said.

Like, any classic rock radio station run by ClearChannel/iHeart radio is only going to rotate between at BEST a 1/2 dozen tunes from the same groups, and these same songs by the same acts will be played daily:

AC/DC - Back In Black, Highway To Hell, You Shook Me All Night Long, Shoot To Thrill, For Those About To Rock
    The Who - Baba O' Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You
    Led Zeppelin - Rock And Roll, Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love
    .38 Special - Caught Up In You, Hold On Loosely
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama
    Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer, Wanted Dead Or Alive
    Def Leppard - Photograph, Fooling, Rock Of Ages, Pour Some Sugar On Me
    Billy Idol - Rebel Yell, White Wedding
    Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
    Foreigner - Cold As Ice, Hot Blooded
    Pat Benetar - Hit Me With You Best Shot, Shadows Of The Night, Heartbreaker
    Rolling Stones - Start Me Up, Brown Sugar

There's a classic rock station down here owned by Clear Channel/iHeart radio that has literally been playing virtually nothing else besides those tunes listed above for about 5 years now. And most of those tunes I actually like, but several years back when that station would start to play one of those tunes I'd actually change the dial: it's oversaturation to the point where I have a visceral and instinctive reaction the moment I hear any of the music from any of those tunes NOT to want to hear them. I've actually been listening to current top 40 pop stations along with talk radio-format stations more and more over the past two years because at least it's something I'm not sick of hearing yet.

I mean, all of those rock groups I listed above have PLENTY of OTHER tunes I wouldn't mind hearing. Would it kill them to play, say, Hots On For Nowhere?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I remember in the late 1980s a bunch of us were partying late one night, and we called up the local rock radio station at probably around 1AM and wanted to hear Led Zeppelin's Dazed And Confused. This was a Sunday night, mind you, so it's not like it was some peak listening time. So we call up the station and make the request, and the person at the station said they couldn't do it because they had a playlist formatted by a computer that was given to them by their corporate office to play, and any time they deviated from the playlist to do requests they caught shit from the corporate office for it. I was somewhat surprised that they were actually admitting this, and the person on the phone (who wasn't the dj on air) sounded somewhat embarrassed.

This was 25 years or so ago, mind you, back when I still thought djs actually selected their own play lists or could play whatever they wanted. I find it slightly amusing listening to today's classic rock stations where they play an interactive "call in request" with a listener who wants to hear the station play "Back In Black by AC/DC": like, wow! what are the odds someone would want to hear the station play THAT very song by THAT very band that the station has already played three times that day?! Or the station plays a lead-in blurb in a bad-ass sounding voice claiming to be "NO RULES ROCK!" and then they start playing Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer. I guess 'no rules rock' now equals corporatized rule-laden cheese.
    Last edited by Terry; 09-14-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Possibly the reason that "In A Simple Rhyme" doesn't hold up as well as some of the others is that it was already a 7 year old song (at least) by the time it was recorded on WACF. It was one of the songs on the band's first demo from 73 or early 74, when Mark Stone was still in the band. Take your Whiskey Home was also on that demo, but they at least changed up the arrangement on that one quite a bit by 1980.

Sure wish a clean copy of that tape would surface one of these days........ you readin' this Wolf?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

This was 25 years or so ago, mind you, back when I still thought djs actually selected their own play lists or could play whatever they wanted.
    I'm not sure exactly when they started doing the canned music thing but it makes total sense financially. One of the last jocks in L A that was still allowed to do his own thing was Jim Ladd. Grew up listening to that guy. He's cool and he knows everybody but he has kind of a negative attitude about everything. He's on satellite radio now. I first noticed the canned radio format had taken over when I was doing a construction job out of town. When we hit a certain spot on the way to or from the job site the call letters changed but it was the same songs, same announcer on a slightly different frequency with different nicknames like The Quake, The Whale and such.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Absolute bullshit on the top 2, Ralph.
    Not in his opinion.
    I'll give it a shot.
    1 DOA
    2 Take Your Whiskey Home
    3 Unchained
    4 Runnin With The Devil
    5 Little Guitars.

I think I'll leave it at that.

Personally I'm getting a little burned out on Van Halen. Burned out on classic rock in general. Been watching a lot of Live At Daryl's House lately. Broadening my tastes and interests.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

I rarely listen to WNCX since I switched to Sirius. Just found on their site that they have a running playlist: http://wncx.cbslocal.com/playlist/

Seeing some of Terry's picks on that list.

WNCX is still a CBS station. They used to run an all request hour every weekday night, and Saturday nights they run the all request House Party.

Just too many damn commercials now. There are some "party" channels on Sirius with no DJ and minimal channel tagging. 70's/80's pop, 80's/90's pop, classic rock party...they're up in the 700's though, not sure every radio can get them but they are available on the Sirius app.

Not sure if they run an automated show overnight. Pretty sure their weekend morning shows are pre-recorded.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 09-15-2016 at 05:07 AM.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We have an "Absoulote" family of stations . You know Absoulote 80's... Absoulote 90's etc . Their Absoulote Classic Rock is canny .... You know in a of I have to listen to radio I use that ok my phone .
    Though I have never heard van halen on it.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

I've had the Classic Rock Party channel (715) streaming on the Sirius site since I posted at 5 am and haven't heard one channel ID yet. Songs don't overlap, either.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    We have an "Absoulote" family of stations . You know Absoulote 80's... Absoulote 90's etc . Their Absoulote Classic Rock is canny .... You know in a of I have to listen to radio I use that ok my phone .
    Though I have never heard van halen on it.
    I sometimes listen to their new voice only channel "Absolute Spelling" which just broadcasts spelling bee competitions 24/7.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah I read it back a bit later but it was to late to change .... Sorry, I meant get fucked.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We have to maintain some standards around here.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We have to maintain some standards around here.
    Really .... And that's the line

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2022 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Interesting list Ralph, a bit VH II/1984 heavy and nothing off Diver Down.
    I have odd mix of experiencing songs as I originally did as a teenager buying each album as they came out vs. benefit of hindsight as a 51 year old fan.
    My Top Ten in order...
    10 Light Up the Sky
    9 Dance the Night Away
    At time VH II sounded like a kinder, gentler VH I. Later I came to appreciate it as album that solidified VH as big time, not a one-and-done act. That said the songs tend to blend together for me.
    8 Secrets
    Diver Down was real hit and miss (Dancing in the Street?!) but these lyrics paint a picture and I still remember the thrill of seeing VH performing Secrets on Diver Down tour.
    7 Mean Street
    6 Unchained
    Fair Warning followed heavy/light/heavy/light album pattern but less good times. Hear About It Later right up there too.
    5 The Full Bug
    Another scorcher from Diver Down. Lickety split riff from Eddie and blooz bravado from Roth. Cue the harp solo!
    4 Runnin With the Devil
    OC =Original Classic, VH I sounds a bit dated but great songs stand test of time. Isolated vocal track shows what a great melody Roth created.
    3 In A Simple Rhyme
    WACF stretched out a bit in one of closest songs to a VH ballad, pure magic to the 15yr old kid in me.
    2 Aint Talkin Bout Love
    The riff, the attitude from Roth, unbeatable.
    1 Romeo Delight
    WACF was VH reinventing themselves as Big Rock, this track is best illustration of how VH masterfully blend the heavy and melodic.

Wait, nothing off 1984? Nah, by then VH was too bubblegum for me, constantly airing on MTV with all the kiddies getting on the bandwagon. I do think I'll Wait is a great song if unusual for VH.
    Fave from ADKOT is China Town , fast shuffle with witty wordplay. But I can't justify taking any of the above songs off the list.
    Last edited by GreenBayLA; 09-22-2016 at 12:09 AM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBayLA View Post
    Interesting list Ralph, a bit VH II/1984 heavy and nothing off Diver Down.
    I have odd mix of experiencing songs as I originally did as a teenager buying each album as they came out vs. benefit of hindsight as a 51 year old fan.
    My Top Ten in order...
    10 Light Up the Sky
    9 Dance the Night Away
    At time VH II sounded like a kinder, gentler VH I. Later I came to appreciate it as album that solidified VH as big time, not a one-and-done act. That said the songs tend to blend together for me.
    8 Secrets
    Diver Down was real hit and miss (Dancing in the Street?!) but these lyrics paint a picture and I still remember the thrill of seeing VH performing Secrets on Diver Down tour.
    7 Mean Street
    6 Unchained
    Fair Warning followed heavy/light/heavy/light album pattern but less good times. Hear About It Later right up there too.
    5 The Full Bug
    Another scorcher from Diver Down. Lickety split riff from Eddie and blooz bravado from Roth. Cue the harp solo!
    4 Runnin With the Devil
    OC =Original Classic, VH I sounds a bit dated but great songs stand test of time. Isolated vocal track shows what a great melody Roth created.
    3 In A Simple Rhyme
    WACF stretched out a bit in one of closest songs to a VH ballad, pure magic to the 15yr old kid in me.
    2 Aint Talkin Bout Love
    The riff, the attitude from Roth, unbeatable.
    1 Romeo Delight
    WACF was VH reinventing themselves as Big Rock, this track is best illustration of how VH masterfully blend the heavy and melodic.

Wait, nothing off 1984? Nah, by then VH was too bubblegum for me, constantly airing on MTV with all the kiddies getting on the bandwagon. I do think I'll Wait is a great song if unusual for VH.
    Fave from ADKOT is China Town , fast shuffle with witty wordplay. But I can't justify taking any of the above songs off the list.
    Chinatown is one of the better ones off of ADKOT.

Thread Information