Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Shit, when I read about how more and more commercial airlines are subcontracting the repairs of their planes to facilities and employees located outside of the United States (and thus not subject to FAA rules and regulations), I worry far more about taking a plane flight than a shuttle ride.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• cadaverdog
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      In hindsight the whole shuttle program can be seen as unsuccessful in that it was too complicated and ended up flying far far fewer missions than was envisaged.
      Unsuccessful? Not as successful as it could have been due to bad decision making as far as the Challenger incident goes but it was still successful program because the Shuttles did what they were supposed to do. Even the two shuttles that didn't complete their final missions had completed several successful missions before hand.
      Last edited by cadaverdog; 10-07-2016, 12:19 AM.
      Beware of Dog

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
        Shit, when I read about how more and more commercial airlines are subcontracting the repairs of their planes to facilities and employees located outside of the United States (and thus not subject to FAA rules and regulations), I worry far more about taking a plane flight than a shuttle ride.
        For what it's worth in our new post facts ignore experts world the figures are

The chances of the Space shuttle crashing were 1 in 100.

The chances of your plane crashing is 1 in 11 000 000

Comment

• cadaverdog
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Terry
          I'm sure other countries around the world that have airports and repair facilities have some form of government overseers similar to the FAA that establish and enforce rules and regulations relating to the usage, repair and maintenance of aircraft.
          Beware of Dog

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

The Jigs Up.
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There used to be a great website that worked all that shit out for you back around 10 years ago, I know because I worked with a Mr T type character.

You would input the journey and the airline and it would statistically work out the chances of that plane 'going down'.

No offence but Terry wandered into the world of HagarStats there.

Back then we used to all boast about in a large circle of friends about getting the lowest score and the winner by far was some friend of a friend who did some prop flight in South America on a tiny airline who came in at 30 000 - 1 or so.

Astronaut stuff is seriously dangerous.

Also another thing for the last of the moon conspiracy people which just popped into my head. In the 1960s Formula 1 fatalities peaked at 1 in 3.

I think that's one of the problems in looking back. There is no fucking way that the Apollo thing would be allowed now as it was far too fucking dangerous.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister

I think that's one of the problems in looking back. There is no fucking way that the Apollo thing would be allowed now as it was far too fucking dangerous.
                Have you seen the possible replacement for the Space Shuttle yet? It's more like the module that went to the moon than the shuttle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(spacecraft)
                Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...