Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STEVE VAI Says Reunion Of DLR's 'Eat 'Em And Smile' Lineup Is 'On The Radar'

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

STEVE VAI Says Reunion Of DLR's 'Eat 'Em And Smile' Lineup Is 'On The Radar'

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ste...-on-the-radar/

Guitar legend Steve Vai has confirmed that there are still tentative plans for VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth and the band for his debut solo album, "Eat 'Em And Smile", to reunite following the cancelation of their November 2015 reunion attempt at the Lucky Strike Live in Hollywood.

Roth's "Eat 'Em And Smile" reunion at the Lucky Strike Live was called off at the last minute by the fire marshal. The show would have marked the first time in 30 years that Roth joined bassist Billy Sheehan, Vai, drummer Greg Bissonette (RINGO STARR & HIS ALL-STARR BAND), and keyboardist Brett Tuggle to perform some of the hits from the classic LP. Also scheduled to join the band on stage was STEEL PANTHER vocalist Ralph Saenz (a.k.a. Michael Starr).

Speaking to Ultimate Classic Rock, Vai stated about the Lucky Strike Live near-performance: "When we got there, they had crammed 1,700 people in a 350-seater, and the line was literally three or four people thick all the way down [the street] and around the block. I've never seen anything like it. And then Dave got out of the car, and people just went apeshit."

According to Vai, plans for the reunion came together casually — "a very innocent kind of thing" involving an open-mic night. "Billy was telling me about it, and he said, 'What if we just showed up and played a few songs?' Like 'Shyboy' and 'Yankee Rose', you don't need to rehearse those," he explained. "So I said, 'Yeah, let's do that.' And then I thought maybe Dave would be interested. So I just floated it out there and he was. We didn't do a proper rehearsal, but Dave came over to my house before we went there, and we reviewed it all and we just kind of went over it so that there was a comfort level."

While the fans were disappointed that the show was called off, there is still hope the "Eat 'Em And Smile" might reunite at a later date.

"We tasted a little bit of the forbidden fruit there," Vai said. "We all decided that it would be nice, why not? It was a great era. It was a great record, we were a great band. So it's on the radar. It's just a matter of getting everybody's schedules to align. That's the tough part."

"Eat 'Em And Smile" was the first of two Roth albums to feature the duo of Vai and Sheehan on guitar and bass.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,502 Posts

Blog Entries
    It'd be sort of neat to see such a thing if it was a one-off, I suppose. If it was taken lightheartedly and the sort of banged out a few tunes in a loose setting with nothing huge in the way of expectations.

The reality of it is that considering what Dave sounds like fronting Van Halen these days, it'd be hard to imagine him sounding much better fronting the EEAS band now, and seemingly the more time that passes will only enhance the deterioration: if they're gonna do it, they should do it soon, if only to save Dave the embarrassment.

On an instrumental front, I'd have no doubt the EEAS band would knock that stuff out of the park.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Running it through my head I don't think the EEAS stuff is any more difficult to sing than the Van Halen stuff, in fact it may be easier.

I think the EEAS thing would be a big theatre 2-3k thing rather than an area act like Van Halen but I could still see it happening.

Cmama Baby....Bottoms up!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 12:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I would love to see them re-visit this band. It was the best show I ever saw , and the musicianship was stellar. It might be interesting to even here a raw few songs from Skyscraper , in a stripped down version , raw like Sheehan has talked about , before over-producing tainted them. The dueling guitars between Vai & Sheehan would be worth the price of admission for me. Greg Bissonette is so much more amazing than the albums , and seeing him live doing a drum solo is downright amazing.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Running it through my head I don't think the EEAS stuff is any more difficult to sing than the Van Halen stuff, in fact it may be easier.
    That's not what I've been told. But I have no idea, I'm no singer.

Quote Originally Posted by THEDOCTOR View Post
    I would love to see them re-visit this band. It was the best show I ever saw
    Doc, you never saw the real Van Halen?

To me, the EEAS tour was too much like the Van Halen 1984 tour. Too much of Dave trying to be something he wasn't. A Vegas act with too many costume changes.

I'd like to see them do a one off show. Or maybe like Sesh said, a tour of smaller venues. History would show Dave would probably try to go over the top with it, and I doubt that would work. I'm not sure people would fill big arenas in cities all across the U.S., to see this band again.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unfortunately my music awakening happened in '85. So I never attended a Mighty VH concert, only watched live dvds. For me Dave was the over the top best , but backed by superstars on each instrument on the EEAS show. There was, in my opinion, a dramatic drop off on the next album/tour. I've seen many , many shows , with great live acts, but that show just had everything. The big show, DLR, guitar gods, heavy artillery on the drums, and I have NEVER been to a show that was crawling with beautiful women like that one was. It blew my 16 year old mind
    A side note: About a year later , I went to my old high school to see Greg Bissonnette's drum clinic and fuckin A , that guy is soooooo much better than anyone realizes. He did truly amazing shit. Afterwards, he went into the hall and was the coolest, most humble musician I've ever met, signing everything taking pics until everyone there was done.
    Last edited by THEDOCTOR; 10-27-2016 at 12:01 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The thing is that half the EEAS band set was CVH with extra keyboards.

Firstly no one ever liked that even in the 1980s but also I would assume if Dave starts playing a bunch of Van Halen songs solo then he's out of Van Halen.

I think the EEAS gig that got cancelled was only going to be a jam of a few songs.

A whole show without any VH means 3 or 4 from CFTH and most of EEAS and Skyscraper. Playing the whole of EEAS is only 30 minutes.

A setlist of songs from the 2 tours removing the Van Halen looks like this.

Shy Boy
    Tobacco Road
    Drum Solo
    Elephant Gun
    Ladies' Nite in Buffalo?
    Bump and Grind
    Big Trouble
    The Bottom Line
    Knucklebones
    Easy Street
    Hot Dog and a Shake
    I'm Easy
    Stand Up
    Skyscraper
    Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
    Yankee Rose
    Bass/Guitar Solos
    Goin' Crazy!

Encore:
    Just Like Paradise
    California Girls

So it is doable.

8. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

damngoodtimes (11-01-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The thing is that half the EEAS band set was CVH with extra keyboards.

Firstly no one ever liked that even in the 1980s but also I would assume if Dave starts playing a bunch of Van Halen songs solo then he's out of Van Halen.

I think the EEAS gig that got cancelled was only going to be a jam of a few songs.

A whole show without any VH means 3 or 4 from CFTH and most of EEAS and Skyscraper. Playing the whole of EEAS is only 30 minutes.

A setlist of songs from the 2 tours removing the Van Halen looks like this.

Shy Boy
    Tobacco Road
    Drum Solo
    Elephant Gun
    Ladies' Nite in Buffalo?
    Bump and Grind
    Big Trouble
    The Bottom Line
    Knucklebones
    Easy Street
    Hot Dog and a Shake
    I'm Easy
    Stand Up
    Skyscraper
    Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
    Yankee Rose
    Bass/Guitar Solos
    Goin' Crazy!

Encore:
    Just Like Paradise
    California Girls

So it is doable.
    Sesh, do you really believe Dave would EVER play a full set live show without playing that faggy "Jump" song?

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If I never hear "Jump" again..... I'm ok with that....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If I never hear "Jump" again..... I'm ok with that....
    I thought that after the first time I ever heard it. Unfortunately, Dave believes it is "Definitive Van Halen".

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's Rich ,considering(reports say) he supposedly did not like the tune, nor did he want it on 1984. Now, that could be false information....or he just "jumped" on his #1 hit and has ridden it...way too long.

13. Thanked THEDOCTOR for this KICKASS post:

damngoodtimes (11-01-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now, that could be false information....or he just "jumped" on his #1 hit and has ridden it...way too long.
    I'm betting on the latter.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I honestly think if DLR and the EEAS band do get back together , in whatever capacity , big or small, it spells the end of DLR in VH(which unless something definitively says otherwise, I believe to be the case anyways)
    It's really sad the whole gaggle of musicians can't see the tremendous opportunity they leave on the table. In Ricardo Montalban Fantasy Island, they could do a VH Festival tour, with every incarnation of VH and the Bastard off shoots playing throughout a day and just have a killer tour, with the Classic VH headlining. By that I mean Hagar, Chickenfoot, DLR EEAS band , Van Hagar, Van Halen w/Wolfgang, & the Mighty VH-
    "Welcome , to Fantasy island"

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I honestly think if DLR and the EEAS band do get back together , in whatever capacity , big or small, it spells the end of DLR in VH(which unless something definitively says otherwise, I believe to be the case anyways)
    It's really sad the whole gaggle of musicians can't see the tremendous opportunity they leave on the table. In Ricardo Montalban Fantasy Island, they could do a VH Festival tour, with every incarnation of VH and the Bastard off shoots playing throughout a day and just have a killer tour, with the Classic VH headlining. By that I mean Hagar, Chickenfoot, DLR EEAS band , Van Hagar, Van Halen w/Wolfgang, & the Mighty VH-
    "Welcome , to Fantasy island"
    I could see a Van Halen / Van Hagar tour with the current VH line up and the traditional Van Hagar line up with a little CVH thrown in for good measure. Or they could try what Survivor tried with both vocalists taking turns.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No way Dave would go for it. In this matter, his ego still prevents him from seeing a bigger picture , or , adversely, his fear of being upstaged.
    I would think if his EEAS band were in the mix , he miiight go for it.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No way Dave would go for it. In this matter, his ego still prevents him from seeing a bigger picture , or , adversely, his fear of being upstaged.
    I would think if his EEAS band were in the mix , he miiight go for it.
    He took a chance on being upstaged when he toured with Sammy the first time. The show I saw had Dave opening and Sammy closing which gave Sammy an advantage but Dave's performance was less than stellar which amazes me since they're both locals and should have at least attempted to do their best shows there. Sammy did. Dave didn't.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I could see a Van Halen / Van Hagar tour with the current VH line up and the traditional Van Hagar line up with a little CVH thrown in for good measure. Or they could try what Survivor tried with both vocalists taking turns.
    Around the time of the tour with Hagar Dave was offered something similar and knocked it back.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Too many egos, too much bad blood, hurt feelings, grudges and bullshit for any semblance of this too happen. You'd think they were all still coked out of their minds....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Any body who confesses to actually saying they would go see van gaygar should be banned for a week and that includes sesh who confessed to seeing the Hagar Dave show which at times is the same as seeing Hagar solo...... Shame on you all. Except donnie who doesn't hide his love van cheddar

22. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (10-27-2016)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow ,self ban I sound all kristy

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

He took a chance on being upstaged when he toured with Sammy the first time. The show I saw had Dave opening and Sammy closing which gave Sammy an advantage but Dave's performance was less than stellar which amazes me since they're both locals and should have at least attempted to do their best shows there. Sammy did. Dave didn't.
    Sheep.

25. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (10-27-2016)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Sheep.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Any body who confesses to actually saying they would go see van gaygar should be banned for a week and that includes sesh who confessed to seeing the Hagar Dave show which at times is the same as seeing Hagar solo...... Shame on you all. Except donnie who doesn't hide his love van cheddar
    Hell yeah - gimme some Summer Nights babayyy!!!!

28. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (10-27-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    I walked out from the second row halfway through Hagar's set after catching his eye and mouthing 'prick' at him which he was visibly annoyed about for a few seconds.

It was a small victory but a win nonetheless.

30. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

damngoodtimes (11-01-2016),vandeleur (10-27-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It'd be hard to imagine Roth opting for a Van Halen tour that showcased both him and Hagar fronting the band in separate sets. Mostly because Roth has never really accepted any version of Van Halen that he wasn't in, because Roth was there at the beginning, helped lay the foundations that built the band into the success it became, and any success Van Halen had after he left was largely inherited.

The only time he reached out to Hagar was in 2002 for the co-headlining tour, and that was more of a business decision than anything else: he didn't interact with Hagar onstage at all then, so why bother doing so now? Sammy would do it. Sammy has basically made it clear he'll rejoin Van Halen onstage under virtually any terms. He did stick up for Anthony in 2003/2004 and insist he be included, but nowadays I'll bet if Anthony showed no interest Hagar would sing with the band, even if Ed's kid is the bass player and even if it meant splitting the show time with a set from Dave.

I don't think the EEAS material in theory should be any more difficult to sing than the Van Halen stuff, either. However, based on how Dave has been approaching the Van Halen stuff over the last two tours, I would easily wager that the vocals would be the weakest link in an EEAS reunion (much the same as they are with Van Halen now).

32. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (10-27-2016)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    I still think he did that joint Hagar tour strictly for the money first and to position himself closer to Van Halen relevance to position himself to lobby for his return... Purely 2 goals in mind... Keep his bills paid and place himself on a path to working for Ed. Not with... for!!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I still think he did that joint Hagar tour strictly for the money first and to position himself closer to Van Halen relevance to position himself to lobby for his return... Purely 2 goals in mind... Keep his bills paid and place himself on a path to working for Ed. Not with... for!!
    Yeah but it was also an excuse to wear those kick ass outfits!!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The charme about the EEAS-BAND reuniting is that it would REALLY be a fun and "for the love of playing those tunes together"-thing. No separate wardrobes, no separate this and that, no lawyers...just four/five old pals knocking it out and having a shot and a selfie after the show.

Would love to see that.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

36. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-29-2016)

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wonder how well it would go with the members being on somewhat equal footing. Dave was the big star and driving force in 86. His word was it. Would he be able to accept this as a band effort , and not try to dictate everything as he did before? It is the same question we pondered in his reunion with VH, and he seemed to relinquish a bit of the control he exerted in years past.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Yeah but it was also an excuse to wear those kick ass outfits!!
    Well those 14 years have passed quickly...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He needed a better tan.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well those 14 years have passed quickly...

Yeah, he looked totally ridiculous on that tour, particularly the multi-layered strands of platinum hair weaves.

Laughable, really.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yeah, he looked totally awesome on that tour
    I agree!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree!!

Wow, you changed the original wording of my post when you quoted it. That was a real...scorcher

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Wow, you changed the original wording of my post when you quoted it. That was a real...scorcher
    I hate when they do that.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He needed a better tan.
    Looks like he forgot to put his dentures in as well.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I heard Sammy actually approached Dave about touring together right before the VMA awards debacle but Dave said no and told Sammy he already had a job. He was back in VH. If that's true when the Sam and Dave tour did happen Dave probably asked Sammy not to mention that conversation. If anything Dave did the tour with Sammy to piss the Van Halens off.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I hate when they do that.
    Me too.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    The charme about the EEAS-BAND reuniting is that it would REALLY be a fun and "for the love of playing those tunes together"-thing. No separate wardrobes, no separate this and that, no lawyers...just four/five old pals knocking it out and having a shot and a selfie after the show.

Would love to see that.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk
    I'd tend to think that type of low-key, one-off gig thing would be the best setting for just playing the tunes and having fun.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I wonder how well it would go with the members being on somewhat equal footing. Dave was the big star and driving force in 86. His word was it. Would he be able to accept this as a band effort , and not try to dictate everything as he did before? It is the same question we pondered in his reunion with VH, and he seemed to relinquish a bit of the control he exerted in years past.
    Well, I suppose Dave could still dictate everything by using his participation as leverage, if that's the route he wanted to go.

I can't imagine why, though. It's not like an EEAS reunion could fill 10,000 seat arenas these days. Dave as a solo act (which, in essence, is what the EEAS band is in terms of drawing power) would be playing 1-3,000 seaters these days. And Vai can do better than that headlining a G3 tour, without having terms dictated to him by Roth.

Thread Information